Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The rest of the country is going to be in for a surprise when the space needle forms arms and legs and starts trying to put Sawant into the Congress via Galactic Punt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Thanatosian posted:

Literally could not give less of a poo poo, aside from how they affect tenants. Does giving an advantage to one over the other lower rents, or improve housing in other ways? Yes? Then give an advantage to that one. No? Then they can all gently caress off, the guillotine doesn't give a poo poo what sort of ownership methodology your particular brand of landed gentry is using.

What's that Ian M Banks line?

"Money is a sign of poverty"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Freakazoid_ posted:

Dhingra has it in the bag, but you guys need to check out this "attack" ad if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjjZmn-7IAk

Who made this, I need to speak to them, quietly.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Portland, is uh, there something wrong?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Pander posted:

As a Vancouverite I would definitely visit more if there was a godawful huge skyscraper in Portland.

I don't know why, but I surely would.

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes!
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

dont even fink about it posted:

Now we're getting somewhere.

Determined to show the world what for, Portland builds worlds Largest, Most Beautiful Parking Garage.

Seattle claims it's not mad.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The only way the PNW will truly become pure and free is if we ban all driving and become one with our salmon once more.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dino Rossi and his political support are starting to harrass everyone i know locally on the phone and I find myself wondering how it is this rear end in a top hat just won't go away. He's running for Richert's seat.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Peachfart posted:

Good, +1 seat for the Democrats.

Here's hoping.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BlueBlazer posted:

NW Mitt Romney needs to go away.

Mitt Romney is anti Trump, Dino Rossi is very openly and vulgarly pro Trump.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

anthonypants posted:

Does anyone actually believe this

No, not really but I say that more as of comparison to "Trump is my big strong Daddy" Dino Rossi.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

the victim posted:

Don't hurt my boy

As he died from a sniper shot through the stomach.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BrandorKP posted:

Thanks that clears it up a bit, by "notes" they're meaning work calendars and emails which is a different thing than "notes" in my professional context.

Insider view:

The only people that don't have to bend over backwards for Public Records Requests are the legislature, for some reason.

The hope was that the law would change that they would have to face the exact same scrutiny as the rest of us, but they did that instead.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

PokeJoe posted:

An assload of people are moving to Seattle every day no matter if anyone in the city likes it or not. They all have to live somewhere and if they've got more money than you your landlord would rather they lived in your apartment than you, so he will raise rents or make it a "luxury" unit or whatever. The solution is to build more housing to allow more people in the same space. If it's all rich people moving in then yes we need even more rich people apartments to prevent lower income folks from being pushed out.

What part of this concept do you disagree with? If you think there's a better solution I'd love to hear it.

It doesnt affect just the cities too, it's the hottest place to move in the country.

http://www.commerce.wa.gov/about-us/rulemaking/gma-laws-rules/ here's a primer to chew on.

Not targeting you specifically Joe, just feeding in.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

therobit posted:

I'm not sure if we are talking Seattle or Portland but reducing the parking requirements has been terrible in Portland. This is a curry where the pour habe to drive in from fat away and making it did they have nowhere to park is cold hearted.

Also I guess I would settle for making it really expensive to waive affordable housing requirements but honestly it would habe to be enough for the city to pay to build the units that are not getting built. I think it would be better, if we are going that route, to just make it so they can't waive them at all.

In my ideal world the city/state builds a poo poo load of government housing for households making up to 120% of median income with a sliding scale for the rent based on income and some attempt to make sure that buildings don't get segregated by income level or race. Made it normal to line I a government apartment And I bet you can arrest the rise I tents.

And Portland should do away with building height restrictions and require at least one parking space per unit regardless of the number of units in the building.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2017/11/20/we-forbid-what-we-value-most

quote:

Like most cities in America, Pocatello’s city code sets minimum parking requirements for all types of new development, and the reality is that these parking minimums forbid anyone from ever building a neighborhood that looks remotely like Old Town anywhere in Pocatello.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Seattle Times front page is telling people to call the governor and tell him to veto the public records disclosure Bill so now I'm torn if it's a bad Bill or not because the Seattle Times.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Good Inslee, now crush capitalism.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My neighbors seem to be mostly "socially liberal, fiscal conservative" types.

Remember the city council in Black Diamond who were literally fighting over the gavel?

One of the instigators Pat Pepper was voted out of office in a successful recall, only the third ever in WA history: http://q13fox.com/2018/02/13/years-of-infighting-leads-to-rare-recall-on-the-ballot-for-a-black-diamond-council-member/

The other 2 were voted out in the fall.

I'd like to think it's a microcosm of how the Trump admin will be dealt with.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 9, 2018

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

whomupclicklike posted:

Lol at anyone still being in the DSA after they let a cop join

Solidarity is for everyone, leadership is not.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

http://www.king5.com/article/news/politics/bills-aimed-at-expanding-wa-voter-participation-signed-by-inslee/281-529996340

BLUUUUE BLUUUE!

quote:

POLITICS
Bills aimed at expanding WA voter participation signed by Inslee
Under one of the measures, people can pre-register to vote starting at age 16.
Author: Natalie Brand
Published: 4:32 PM PDT March 19, 2018
Updated: 7:29 AM PDT March 20, 2018
Governor Jay Inslee signed a series of bills into law Monday, aimed at increasing participation in Washington state’s elections.

“You can think of them as the four horsemen of democracy,” Inslee told an auditorium of students at Foster High School in Tukwila where the signing ceremony was held.

One of the bills would expand pre-registering of teens, allowing 16 and 17-year-olds to sign up so they’re in the system when they turn 18 and can legally vote. Twelve other states and the District of Columbia currently allow pre-registration starting at 16.

“I think it will make a difference,” said senior Kobe Promvongsa who plans to vote for the first time in August during the primary election.

“I want to see people who represent me, who have the same interests as me, who want to better me and my community," Promvongsa continued.

Another bill signed into law will enact automatic voter registration for eligible Washington residents, starting in 2019. Currently, individuals have to opt-in for voter registration when applying for a driver’s license. Under the new system, you would have to opt-out.

A third bill will expand voter registration, starting in 2018, even allowing same day registration in person the night of elections, up until 8:00 p.m.

The Washington Voting Rights Act also passed this session, after stalling in the state legislature in past years. The legislation aims to increase minority representation by giving communities greater leverage, or the possibility of court challenges, if they want to transition from at-large to district elections.

"I have seen our schools and communities grow more diverse, but the makeup of elected bodies that represent us have not kept pace," said Ubah Aden, a speaker at the bill signing, who immigrated to Washington from Somalia.

Seattle and Yakima are examples of cities where city council members are elected by smaller districts, allowing individual communities to have a greater voice in who they choose to represent them.

RELATED: Lawsuit forces history-making district elections in Yakima

The final bill of the series expands campaign finance disclosure requirements by nonprofit organizations that are not defined as political committees.

While the package of legislation was considered a top priority this past session for Democratic lawmakers who currently hold a slim majority in Olympia, Republican Secretary of State Kim Wyman also calls the bills "a positive step forward."

"Your vote is actually really powerful," she told students on Monday. "Your vote does matter."

Wyman says her office will spend the rest of this year gearing up for implementation of the expanded registration in 2019.

"Not only do we want to have this unprecedented access which we're very excited about, we also have to build security on the other side," said Wyman. "We'll be working with our colleagues across the country to learn from their hard lessons and try to make sure our roll out is good for each one of these bills."

Inslee said Washington becomes second only to California to have all three registration related bills on the books, along with the Voting Rights Act. Various other states have individual measures already in place. For instance, Oregon passed automatic voter registration system in 2015.

“We know that this is an important bipartisan process that can lift registration and thus lift participation,” said Natalie Tennant, former Secretary of State from West Virginia who now works with the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law to advocate for increasing voter participation.

“This says a lot about the forward-thinking of Washington state," Tennant said of the package of bills. “People deserve to have their right to vote and they deserve to get registered to vote in an accessible, streamlined manner."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My market based solution is build increasingly tall and extravagant mixed use multi family apartments until they're cost neutral to build.

I don't think we will find the bottom in our lifetimes in the PNW

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

anthonypants posted:

This practice is called "rolling coal" and if you google search that term you'll find a ton of examples of people doing this to protesters, or hybrid cars, or bicyclists, or random pedestrians. I don't think it's illegal.

It's illegal but there's no real mechanism for individual violations, being federal laws.

https://jalopnik.com/the-epa-just-said-that-this-whole-rolling-coal-thing-is-1601808499

But 2014 so now it's probably encouraged.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If they're concerned about the safety of the police maybe they shouldn't let them fire their guns without consequence, people are pissed because they think that mob justice is the only kind left.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

seiferguy posted:

It's a long but worthwhile read: The Seattle Times just torched Microsoft for their lovely effort in treating women:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/microsoft/i-felt-so-alone-what-women-at-microsoft-face-and-why-many-leave/

It always is shocking to me how much the private sector is allowed to bully employees into silence, everything about me except my SSN and the like are public record. It's kinda scary.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't say I'd really mind redividing Washington and Oregon east/west instead of north/south. Make Cascadia and uh I dunno what to name the eastern one

Dragonstone :v:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Which is why we need to attack the heart of anti government and regulation ideology as well.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Alternatively, taxes are too low.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

There's nothing wrong with cops as long as they're disarmed and minorities like God herself.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I think "I'm running for local office probably 3000 miles away but an undisclosed location" might be peak internet.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Seattle City Council votes 9-0 for scaled-down head tax on large employers

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-city-council-votes-9-0-for-scaled-down-head-tax-on-large-employers/

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

We're so close, we're SO close.

If we can defeat him this time, it should be the end of the curse.

http://www.maplevalleyreporter.com/opinion/eyman-risks-retirement-funds-on-car-tab-initiative/

quote:

Tim Eyman is so convinced his latest initiative attack on car tabs is a winner, he’s tapping the one source of money he can count on these days to finance the effort — his own.

Eyman said he is draining $500,000 from an investment account earmarked for retirement and using it to hire a professional signature-gathering firm to help get the proposed $30 car tab measure in front of voters. Details were to appear in reports to be filed May 10 with the state Public Disclosure Commission.

“It’s an absolute risk,” he said. “I am willing to risk a half-million dollars that this will deliver the tax relief it promises.”

Dramatic or desperate — depending on one’s perspective — the move is tacit recognition the initiative industrial complex constructed by Eyman the past two decades has crumbled.

There is no longer a bevy of anti-tax, anti-government capitalists on which he can rely to underwrite these annual ventures. Absent this sturdy financial foundation, he must get a bunch more of his loyal followers to write checks for a bunch more than $50 to succeed.

It didn’t happen in 2016 or 2017 and, as a result, Eyman-backed initiatives to reduce car tabs didn’t come close to qualifying for the ballot.

And at the start of April, when Eyman announced signature-gathering had begun for Initiative 976, the landscape looked eerily familiar.

On the policy side, he is once again pushing a measure to lower car tab fees on passenger vehicles to $30 and eliminate the voter-approved motor vehicle excise tax collected by Sound Transit. The proposed initiative also would get rid of weight fees imposed by the state and vehicle fees charged by cities for what are known as Transportation Benefit Districts.

On the money side, it again looked bleak. Voters Want More Choices, the political committee through which this and all Eyman initiative campaigns are funded, reported having only about $30,000 in the bank. It takes around $1 million these days to qualify an initiative.

Eyman said he loaned $100,000 to the committee in April and will put in another $150,000 in May. The remaining $250,000 will be funneled to the political committee’s coffers in coming months as needed, he said.

Ultimately, he said in an interview and email to supporters, it will take another half-million dollars to pay professionals to round up the 259,622 voter signatures required to qualify.

“I got them out there,” he said. “But we need to raise more to keep them out there.”

Interestingly, Citizen Solutions is the company hired to get signatures for I-976. Eyman and the firm are locked in a legal battle with Attorney General Bob Ferguson who has accused them of politically corrupt acts when they teamed up on two initiatives in 2012.

Eyman faces civil charges of secretly moving funds between the two campaigns and receiving $308,000 in kickbacks from Citizen Solutions. Eyman denies wrongdoing and the case could go to trial this fall.

Meanwhile, Eyman is pushing two initiatives this year as well. His second one would make state lawmakers subject to Washington’s public records law.

He insisted his energy — and his money — is all directed toward the car tab measure. Because it is an initiative to the Legislature, he has until Jan. 4, 2019, to get signatures. If successful, it would wind up on a ballot in November 2019.

“I’ve got faith supporters will be there to raise the additional funds.” he said. “I’ve got faith voters will pass it. I’ve got faith it is crafted well enough to deliver promised savings.”

He’s betting a bit of his future on it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

cheetah7071 posted:

It costing a million dollars to get an initiative on the ballot feels like it goes against the spirit of initiatives but on the other hand if it keeps Eyman off then good riddance

It doesn't when you don't have to literally pay people to force a ballot initiative on because you are almost universally hated by everyone.

Remember this rear end in a top hat is why all our ballets have that stupid "the legislature, funded the government WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE PEOPLE" advisory statemrnts.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Cantwell is the Boeing pocket senator and my internal monologue puts her in the same category as Schumer and Pelosi. We need younger blood.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ehhh, it's actually not terrible reporting from the times for once, and it doesn't sound like the funding actually comes from a tax increase. I'd rather not fund private profits over literally anything else, but they are paying rent, and contributing over 200 mill themselves to get similar work done.

I'd rather keep the stadium current than having it turn into another Key Arena.

Note that I have been to one baseball game in the past 20 years, I'm just thinking of this from a public asset maintenance perspective.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I went to the game today and it was fine to me. Let’s house some people first.

I'm just going to note that contrary to conventional wisdom, government can do more than one thing at a time.

Also lets start a Jeff Bezos tax, he has to pay into a housing fund for each state for a % of what he spends on Blue Origin since he's so uninspired by having a crimes against humanity level of money.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

porkface posted:

I love the idea of Amazon 2.0.

What is the cost of them having to move every 5 years? Just stop being a huge baby and invest that in a permanent home.

This may not be a compelling argument to someone whom is so broke brained they see leaving the cradle of humanity as a more viable option than a living wage. These idiots aren't dreamers despite what their PR says.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

What if we buy the local sports team and convert it into a player owned co-op with salary caps and the wealth extraction that normally occurs would go directly to capex and infrastructure investment?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I thought this was topical:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/vienna-affordable-housing-paradise_us_5b4e0b12e4b0b15aba88c7b0

quote:

Uwe Mauch has called Vienna “home” for more than 30 years. The 52-year-old Austrian journalist and writer lives in a subsidized apartment in the north of the European city, in one of the many low-cost housing complexes built around leafy courtyards by the municipal government.

Mauch pays 300 euros, or the equivalent of $350, a month in rent for his one-bedroom apartment ― only 10 percent of his income.

“It’s great ― I’m really happy living here,” he says. “I like all the green space right outside my window. When people from other countries visit, they can’t believe it’s so nice and also so cheap.”

With its affordable and attractive places to live, the Austrian capital is fast becoming the international gold standard when it comes to public housing, or what Europeans call “social housing” ― in Vienna’s case, government-subsidized housing rented out by the municipality or nonprofit housing associations. Unlike America’s public housing projects, which remain unloved and underfunded, the city’s schemes are generally held to be at the forefront not only of progressive planning policy but also of sustainable design.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

seiferguy posted:

Does DSA not have public endorsements or something? I did a few Google searches but couldn't find anything on their website for who they endorsed.

We probably need to organize more in West WA, I only ever hear of what Portland chapter is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BrandorKP posted:

Dino is probably going to lose in November. Ramos is going to beat Magendaz. I'm pretty happy with both those things.

I would be really satisfied if Chad "I'm here for the Parade" Ice cream man would be banished.