Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't say I'd really mind redividing Washington and Oregon east/west instead of north/south. Make Cascadia and uh I dunno what to name the eastern one

The border between blue oregon and red oregon would be closer to

than east/west. And blue oregon would still be mostly red by surface area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I always wonder how much leeway the judges have with these things. Realistically the moron throwing firecrackers is never going to have 36 million dollars, but that's no excuse to just not make him pay every possible cent he can.

I vaguely remember a probably STDH story from when I was a kid about how a drunk driver supposedly was ordered to pay the family of the kid he ran over a dollar a week by check for life, and I feel like an income-scaled version of that would be appropriate here.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Ten years of probation and community service seems pretty fair and balanced given the hot tempers on both sides.

He should be feeling the effects for life, not to the point of ruination, but seeing 10% of every check he ever earns garnished wouldn't be entirely excessive given the damage he caused.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Streaming is great until you want to watch something Netflix has decided is physical disc only because gently caress you.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

That's the problem, I'm definitely not interested in adding a firearm.

If animal attacks figure sufficiently into your plans to be having this discussion, a gun is an entirely reasonable piece of that kit.

"hey guys I just bought a boat and I need to haul it, but I'm definitely not interested in owning a trailer, what should I do??"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'd rather have dogs around than screaming children when trying to enjoy a hike, honestly.

Just be glad most trails aren't open to horse people. Now THOSE are some turds.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Good old trial by media succeeds again.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Should I know/care who that random okcupid person is?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

The image preview did not make it immediately apparent that there were words to read.

Right.

Twitter is stupid and makes you click through twice to actually pull up the image, which is more effort than tweets are generally worth.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Walmart has the worst pharmacy I've ever dealt with.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

They do have better bottles and accessories they throw in than the place I usually use, too. Like the lids are reversible so you don't have to deal with the child safety bullshit if you don't want to.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The ones I've used pretty much self-destruct in the span of one beverage.

Last time I was in seattle (a month ago) the place just gave me a normal straw, at least.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I like the folding stainless straw on a keychain idea somebody kickstarted, but as these things tend to do they overestimated how much it's worth by about $25.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

therobit posted:

That sounds really loving gross. Think about all the shutter your hands touch out in public amd then you grab your keys and get in your car and go home. Do you put your keys in your mouth? I'd rather not have a straw.

It goes in a container of some sort.

e: here, and either the price has gone down or I misremember. Still, $20 for a loving straw, lol.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/908228738/finalstraw-the-worlds-first-collapsible-reusable-s

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

as in "15 years ago" or "when she was 15"? I'm trying to fit tapes costing thousands of dollars into the universe as I know it and it's not working unless it was the very beginning of the tape era or something.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There's a dude here named "Biome" who runs for random positions at the county level at every opportunity. With that name you'd expect him to be full-on hippy, plastic ban, no GMO, etc, right?

nope! :godwin:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Literally ban sports.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Seize and liquidate the entire franchise and hand the proceeds directly to the poor as cash. Dynamite the stadium sim city style and build a low income housing project so large as to be visible from orbit. The now-unemployed ballsports players can live in it, I guess.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If we get it down to where 100% of the remaining homeless are "service resistant" then we have a different problem to solve but for now why not do what we can?

Oh right, people are poo poo, that's why not.

E: here (rural OR) the big "service" is a church run shelter that has some pretty draconian rules for people. Like to have to give up any pets, can't even leave to look for work, must attend religious services, no smoking or drinking, not to mention any other substances. I think they can have coffee but that's it for useful drugs. Can't imagine why people would decline such a generous offer.

Javid fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 15, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Which is funny because that story is just "so why am I even paying for this poo poo" in a nutshell.

I'm in joco and have never heard anything like that, fwiw, but it is the county that basically doesn't have LE outside of the one city for similar reasons.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's funny watching Portland react to what every summer is like in Medford.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I've sometimes idly wondered if a controlled nuclear winter effect could be a duct tape solution to global warming, for at least a couple years. Could even be a two birds with one stone thing depending on where we drop the nuke, too.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I would literally rather pay the same amount for gas and have it fund unemployment for the exact same people instead, just so I don't have to wait for them to quit smoking and slowly waddle over to push the same buttons on the pump that I would otherwise be pushing myself. This is the most backwards poo poo ever.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

9/17 on center mass is a failure on most shoot tests I've seen/taken. I guess campus cops have it easier?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's funny to me since they make paying the fares as much of a pain in the dick as humanly possible, to the point of wanting to gate the entire fare system behind a smartphone app. I fully support crippling their enforcement until they quit bothering.

Javid fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 22, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Josephine County would probably vote to abolish the county government altogether if they could.

Probably but the JoCo government is a trash fire anyway so broken clock/twice/etc

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

How has one of those companies not sued the other into oblivion by now?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Oregon being utterly and irrevocably blue as far as the presidential race is concerned doesn't stop people from screeching at its third party voters about "giving the election to Trump" or whatever the gently caress.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Reene posted:

Knute's plan to "solve" the homeless problem seems to be poo poo like "make it easier for police to harass and arrest the homeless and charge them with crimes for sleeping on public property (because they have nowhere else to go, on account of being loving homeless)" which is uhhhh unconstitutional as well as pretty immoral but hey, ~pensions~.

So I definitely agree that this is bad, but what, if anything, is Kate doing to move things in the opposite direction on this issue? This is on my shortlist of key issues so I'm hoping for a better selection than "republican with bad ideas, Democrat with no ideas"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Literally what is accomplished by making the cops run nics rather than the dealer, other than intentionally bottlenecking the process? Dealers are already set up to do it; it's not like they're personally researching the person and making a judgement call, they plug in the info and it comes back yes or no, no room to gently caress it up.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

This fuckin thread.

"All cops are literal Nazis"
Ok, so let's not gate people's rights through them, yeah?
"Nah I'm cool with people I consider literal Nazis having that additional power over the public"

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

It's weird that the people complaining about a law that doesn't seem to do much to change the status quo are the pro gun people and not the people wanting stronger gun control.

I mean it's the ideal gun control measure in that it expends as much time and money as possible to reach the exact same results as the current system does.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

One could have a receipt for a trigger lock.

Every new gun comes with a locking mechanism of some kind, so there are a lot of people who own one or several locks with no paperwork of any kind. So either no receipt = no proof even if they did use it, OR receipt for a new firearm = receipt of a lock = proof even if they didn't use it and it's in a drawer or something. Either way, having to find out in court if your lock is going to count or not is extra stupid, and the authors of that garbage would consider that a feature, not a bug.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

What would you consider a reasonable regulation around ensuring your gun is properly stored so as to not allow a prohibited person from getting it and using it unlawfully and doesn't rely on a persons word of honor?

"inside of a locked house in which no prohibited persons reside" springs to mind. Otherwise I'd rather NOT punish people for being the victim of a theft.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Senor P. posted:

What are the crime rates involving the following?
-Semi automatic rifles

Clearly our most pressing problem, just 9th in line, behind such mortal terrors as "being beaten to death by an unarmed assailant" and just edging out "being lit directly on fire"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

fbi dot gov

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....n_2009-2013.xls

e: I mean I personally made the pie chart, but using FBI numbers

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

If it's an "unknown firearm," how do you know it's not a rifle?

Have you called the FBI and let them know you have a forensic methodology for eliminating rifles as a possible murder weapon purely from looking at an Excel file? Because they should really bring you on as a consultant.

Not really, like if they had any idea what it was it wouldn't be "unknown", it was either leave it as a category or assume they're divided proportionally to the other firearm categories which would've not even pushed rifles out of the 2.x% range iirc

If you've got a better way to divine the composition of that "unknown" slice of the chart lay it out and we can see what it comes out to

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The NRA is a trash fire but they actual go to the mat for the interests of their members which is, sadly, high praise these days.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

And the right for schoolchildren to live without getting shot up? You don’t seem to give a poo poo about that.

Except for, I dunno, the entire rest of that post that you elected not to quote, that attempts to address that exact issue

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'd go with the arrest/actual filing of charges. Just the presence of an investigation isn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The county next to mine just passed a thing banning any fees for opting out of smart meter installation from Pacific Power. Mine is moving that way as well. Anywhere else having such severe wailing and gnashing of teeth over the things or are they just rolling them out here in particular right now?

Personally I have one and I think they're great but I don't like letting a utility with a monopoly dictate to people about equipment on their own house so I'm pretty OK with PP having to eat their bullshit punitive fees. All the :tinfoil: about RADIATION is just stupid, though.