Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Prester Jane posted:

So I just moved from San Antonio to Portland back in August, and I simply cannot get over just how much I love this city. Tomorrow my roomate and I are celebrating the new Years by smoking some top shelf MKULTRA (A strain with a reputation for insane munchies) until we can barely stand, then taking the light rail downtown (picks up at the end of our street) and then finally stumbling our way into an all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouse.

What I'm saying is that I love living here and am so very grateful that a place as magical as this city actually exists.

It's all fun and games until a hobo smears poo poo on your car. But if you don't have a car I guess you can replace that with a hobo smearing poo poo elsewhere...

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
The housing crisis is not going away. Even if new homes are built. The solution is the one thing nobody wants to talk about. Too much demand.

How do you reduce demand? Build more? (Aghhh we're running out of land, well let's build up. Aghhhh prices are still increasing....) You will also, later down the line, run into the issues of cities exceeding their population for certain key infrastructure. (Water supply and sewage sanitation, heating distribution, etc.)

While building more condos and high density housing might handle things in the short to medium term, this does not tackle the long term issue of overpopulation.

People generally do not like being told, "Hey you can't have children!"

Maybe we can reform the education system with free condoms and birth control in middle and high schools. Maybe we can emphasize to children that one mistake can easily cost you your future. (Be that having a kid, trying opiates, getting a dangerous loan, gambling.)

The future is all doom and gloom.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 2, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

George posted:

It would also be nice for them to actually be affordable.

Why charge 100k, when people are willing to pay 250k... (250k for a piece of ownership in concrete, excellent decision.)

Hooray capitalism!

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Anyway, Right 2 Dream Too got a new location on PBOT land...

There is only a couple of immediate solutions to this. One is you start rounding people up. Two you have home owners 'volunteer' to build a small 1 bedroom flat in their back yard.

The first is not morally acceptable. The second people are'nt going to want to have some weirdo wee-a-boo living with them.

glowing-fish posted:

Hello...I haven't been following Mk. II thread, but it looks like there is still a lot of fun going on here.

I wanted to share an article I wrote on Medium last month. It isn't specifically about the Pacific Northwest, but it comes out of my experience across the northwest.

Its called "There are Two Rural Americas"
Well written and you bring up a good point. For Washington off the top of my head you have Spokane, Pullman, Tri-Cities, Ellensburg, Walla Walla.

Compared to Moses Lake, Cle Elum, Colville,

Peachfart posted:

Yes please. Washington needs an income tax, it would be good for everyone. I'm thinking something that kicks in at around 50k/year. And tie it to a sales tax reduction to help the poor.
gently caress no! If I wanted to live in Oregon or Idaho, I'd move there. Property taxes and utility costs have gone up considerably in the area I live in. Yall can pass a Seattle/Tacoma tax if you want.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

anthonypants posted:

I've posted about Right 2 Dream Too before, you should try to figure out what it is before mashin that post button

It is basically a non-profit that provides services to the dis-advantaged and also provides a homeless camp, from what I understand.

What happens when more people hear about it, come to Portland, and overwhelm the system?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Peachfart posted:

If you are complaining about an income tax that only affects income over 50k, you are part of the problem.

Seeing as how I paid approximately 20% of that in federal tax, I don't think it is an issue.

Why should I pay the same tax when I work over time? (Before I moved I was routinely worked 60-70 hours a week for the last 2 years.) Compared to some techie yuppie that works in Seattle?

Why should I pay X% or more in state tax?
-I live on the East side, I deal with my local issues. Seattle can deal with theirs.
-Taxing people more does not seem to have California's problems. How will it solve Washingtons?
-Utilities costs have regularly gone up. Raises have not.

If they want to raise taxes, they can raise the sales tax or raise the gas tax.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Peachfart posted:

This is impressive, I don't often see 'gently caress You, Got Mine' expressed so honestly.

You usually don't work 60 or 70 hours a week to have a bunch of people take away your money.

Making 70,000 a year by working 40hours a week compared to working 70 hours a week, is a HUGE god drat difference. (You can have a life working 40 hours a week. If you work 60-70hours a week, you don't have a loving life.)

I also read through the first 5 pages of this thread and there was zero reference to the Right 2 Dream Project. I look at what's on wikipedia. Is that not valid information? Jesus loving Christ, I've been slaving away for the last 2 years and get lambasted for not reading a thread because I did not have internet.

Someone provide me a clear explanation why OT should be taxed the same as straight time?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 7, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I hate it when I'm forced to work a 70 hour week at gunpoint. Happens too often.

Gee I better let this power plant go offline because I only want to work 40 hours this week! Its not like hospitals use electricity.

There are times where you don't get a choice of working only 40 hours. And to skimp 'your share' is putting strain on others who work there.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Alright, please explain to me how having a Washington state tax, will magically make this place a utopia? Especially when utilities are rising like 5% a year on the East side....

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 7, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

Making it a Utopia is hyperbole, however an income tax would raise revenue statewide to potentially fund a variety of poo poo that is underfunded because lol sales tax revenue shortfalls. Also Eastern Wa gets more in state tax spending per capita thsn Seattle and the Soumd btw.

Hmmm last time I checked most of the electricity generated in Washington and Oregon come from dams and wind farms along the Columbia river. Most of those dams and wind farms are on the centeral and eastern side of the state. (There also if I remember correctly, a couple of gas plants, 2 medium to large coal plans, and 1 active nuclear plant.)

Transmission lines and roads to maintain that electrical link isn't cheap. You also have the East-West interstates of I-90 and I-84 which supply a large amount of interstate commerce for Washington.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Are you running your own marijuana grow? Do you have a swimming pool you empty and fill multiple times a year?
Utilities are nothing compared to housing prices here unless you leave the shower on all day or your heat at like 85.
Are you sure you live in Washington?
No and no.

A 400 dollar utility bill in winter time is nothing to sneeze at. (The west side does not get as cold as the central/eastern parts of the state.) Then again my Dad lives in a house by himself and probably needs to downsize. Plus it also got considerably colder this year than previously. So that might be why...

I am trying to wrap my head around what you posted.

Anyway, my whole point is making 100k (or more) working 40 hours a week in an office, is a lot different than making 100k (or more) working 60 hours a week working Construction. So why are they taxed the same?

Jack2142 posted:

Uhhh... Yeah and the income tax would partially go to upgrading and maintaining this stuff its not like the state money is going into artisan dave chihuly glass pipes for crack addicted single moms in Tacoma?

Also we seriously have the cheapest electricity in the country and possibly the world in the PNW.

You're correct we do have some of the chepeast electricity. However in the last 10 years I've seen noticable growth of the price. Typically 2-5% increase per year. (I've petitoned my utility provider for some records to verify this going back to 1980, but I suspect I'm right.) Older homes leak heat like a sieve. And there is only so much you can do. (Add insulation to attic, pellet stove, new windows, new doors, additional exterior layer...) A lot of places in PNW use electricity for their heat, not gas. Or coal. (LOL.)

Accretionist posted:

Washington has a high sales-tax and no income-tax. Massachusetts has a low sales-tax and a low-income tax.

Look at this:

(Source: PDF)

Washington soaks the poor hard to compensate for hardly taxing the rich at all. It's completely ridiculous and works quite poorly.
I still think this is an East vs. West problem. How many rich people live in say the greater Seattle area compared to East of the cascades? How much money is anchored on that rich enclave, Mercer Island? The fact of the matter, most of the money is on the West Side.

With the exception of wineries, electricity, and Hanford. The East ain't got poo poo. (There are a few small time manufacturing operations and mining, but not a lot.) Most of Washington's trade goes West across the Pacific Ocean, or South to California.

Farm country and tumbleweeds are not exactly flush with cash.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 7, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

twodot posted:

If you're working long hours it's either because 1) You want to work long hours or 2) You need to work long hours to live. People who 1) perhaps need therapy, but I don't see why they deserve a tax break and people who 2) should fall below whatever minimum income is for our state income tax, and therefore not be concerned about how overtime is taxed.

There are some industries and facilities are are required to run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (Like powerplants for electricity and gas distrubtion for heat) preferrably without unscheduled shutdowns.

Dragging up and walking out because you don't want to work more than 40 hours even though you're in the middle of an emergency overhaul of the plant, is generally not 'acceptable'.

People die when the electricity cuts out or when they can't heat their houses.

So yes, sometimes 50-60-70 hours per week for some amount of time is mandatory.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

twodot posted:

Those people are either working for a living in which case they won't be taxed by any proposed Washington state income tax, or can afford to quit.

You're choosing to work in that industry. If your industry isn't adequately paying you for your time, either negotiate better pay or shut up.

Yes, choosing to work at the only place I could get work, because I had just gotten my notice! That was certainly a choice. (Get off your loving high horse.)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Alright, I'm done. It's time to turn anitfa mainstream. Maybe set up some middle school assemblies on the best ways to identify and beat the poo poo out of nazis.
Be careful what you wish for... Violence goes both ways and we really don't need a civil war right now.

We're all in it for the long haul, and the white super majority will slowly fade away with time.

A more mindful approach would be having people actual call this poo poo out in public and deal with it in a good fashion.

2 people verbally defending some-one on a train is a start, ideally it should be a a dozen or the whole loving train car.

As a society we have told folks on public transportation not to make eye contact, not to talk people, to ignore ignore ignore.

Change the herd mentality from "Ignore" to "Get involved" Verbally, and then physically if it comes to that.

[EDIT]
Althought you might still end up getting stabbed/shot even if you have the best of intentions...

So damned if you do (ignore, survive, and live another day but you now have to live with a moral/ethical dilemma), damned if you don't (intervene, get hurt, die). Or maybe you assault the guy and he ends up hitting his head, going into a coma and dies, but you get charged with man slaughter.

There is only one way things end well and everyone gets to go home unhurt. Then there are about 2 dozen other ways they can end badly.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 30, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

So when is a good time?
Never is good. A civil war would economically cripple the United States plus there are things like how the hell all of our bombed out poo poo isgoing to get re-built. If you want to make a difference, get into politics.

Pretty much all countries I can remember that have had recent civil wars have wound up being hosed. (South Sudan, Angola, Congo, Thailand, China, etc). South Korea and Vietnam might be an exception due to how much money was injected into their economies but it still took.... 30-40 years to recover.

You want to go sacrifice what others are already putting down just to eek out a living for the next generation? Their own kids?

If you truly think civil war is the answer, I don't know what else to say.

ElCondemn posted:

As long as you're white you can definitely get by with just ignoring it, sure... it must be really nice for it to just be a moral dilemma for you.

It's easy for those who've never been a target to sit around and wait for things to get better.

I don't see why anyone is even bothering to speak out about this poo poo anymore, as if the issue has anything to do with exposure. I think there's some mass delusion happening, people think conservatives/the people in power are just unaware of what it looks like.

People ignore others while traveling on public transit. It is a fact. It happens in North America, the EU, South America, Asia, Africa, etc It is a documented thing. Especially with folks who have mental illness. (NYC has subways and I seem to remember a few sexual assaults and assaults that were ignored by the majority of people in the subway car). How many people ignore poo poo when someone starts getting drunk on an airplane?

Again, my opinion is this is a failure as a society. (We teach people ignore. We also don't teach people how to de-escalate poo poo via verbal conversation. What's the expression? "It's not what you say, but how you say it.") (Maybe its just my lovely experiences hanging out with lovely people. But the line between a brawl and a civil conversation is a very fine one. Especially when one party is already riled up.)

Finally, your point saying I've never been a target? Without getting into a huge derail, one of the places I grew up was in Houston at a time and place where being outwardly gay would get you bullied, bashed or you might end up loving dead. (Unless being LGBT no longer counts, which would be news to me.)

So yeah, my experiences and resulting opinions are probably different than yours.

People with mental illness are every where. Irregardless of their political or religious beliefs.
Unfortunately, you cannot save everyone.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 31, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

anthonypants posted:

A glass manufacturing plant in Portland recently installed an air filtration system so that it was no longer pumping out hazardous chemicals to the residential neighborhood surrounding it, at a reported cost of more than $1 million. Sometimes regulations are objectively good, regardless of the size of the company, and sometimes when a company that believes that the regulatory burden is too great, they should be forced to close.
I kind of wonder just what type of filtration equipment they had to install.

Glass, to my knowledge, is not chemically nasty. (Although you could conceivably use etchants/acids for cleaning it afterwards as well as other chemicals for adding colors...)

Peachfart posted:

Providing massive amounts of low-income housing would be better, but $15/hour minimum wage is better than nothing.
I agree housing would be a better long term solution. $15 an hour is just going to push automation that much faster.

With regards to housing, where would they build it? (I am suprised Seattle, Portland, and SF) had not built floating communities similar to the Netherlands. (Not floating houses, or house boats, but apartment complexes 2-4 stories high.)

Lots of people love to talk about high rises but those are expensive. Where is the money going to come from to build those? (Since WA does not have state income tax.)

Hell if they really wanted to they could house their homless population... Its not like temporary housing is not a regularly done 'thing' in the U.S. (Man camps, FEMA trailers, etc)

I am starting to think it might be better in the long run to move to Spokane. (Land and houses are cheap, for those that can afford to move.)

Since this is the PNW thread, has that issue with permit exempt wells been solved for Washington state? Or are they still on a hiatus for drilling and permitting new wells?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 3, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Institute state income tax for income over 50k/year, lower sales tax, use the rest to tear down a bunch of single family homes that are really close to downtown and build low income apartments.
Also, do it to Queen Anne first and really piss off the NIMBYs.

Well...... to start with how about Seattle and surrounding area doubles or triples the tax paid on property owned by non-U.S. citizens?

Baby steps....

I think a 1-2% tax would be more popular if people could specify what they want their monies to be used for... (Infrastructure? Health care? Birth control? Etc...etc....etc...)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 3, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Peachfart posted:

First, a vacancy tax is much more fair and far less racist.
Second, funding government doesn't work like that. Unsexy programs need money also.
Unsexy programs can keep getting funded like they've been to date. (Gas tax, sales tax and property tax.) Behind the scenes.

As for taxing the non-citizens...

Why should citizens of any outside nation be able to own land and displace the local populace?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 3, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
This thread needs some non Portland/Seattle news...

Salmon salmon salmon....
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/environment/article160364954.html

I'm torn because because while dam removal may work, it might also not work. Also all of that power will need to be replaced. (Which probably means either combined cycle natural gas plants or a lot more wind turbines along the columbia river.)

So in the short term, what they should do....
-Shoot the loving sea lions at the dams....
-Ban the use of gillnets (for everyone) on the Columbia and the mouth of the river.

In feel good news... a dog lost in the mountains in 9 months, found alive.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article160290474.html

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I'd be interested in your examples of dam removal not working, in this regard. And how much research you've done on the effects of dam removal on recovering nearby ecology and species, or how much experience or education you've got with energy infrastructure.
There has been one dam removed to date in Washington. Elwha river dam. The size of it does not compare to anything on the snake or columbia. So I would be hesitant to remove several thousand MWs worth of dam to try and save Salmon which may or may not make it due to global warming. (Save the salmon, remove dams. Save the electricity, build combined cycle plants.)

coyo7e posted:

But then you went all full "ban gillnets for everybody" which in my PNW experience around fishermen, actually is code for "natives get to fish in ways we white tax-paying citizens cannot, this is obviously an impingement on our rights."
Gill nets are already on the out per legislation passed. http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2017/01/post_55.html
Also it turns into an argument of commercial fishing (particularly on the inlet of the river) vs. recreational fishing. Would a 2 year ban on fishing for salmon be fairer? (I thought the rule used to be you were not allowed to keep 'wild' caught salmon. But its been a while since I've been fishing on the Columbia.) Anyway I was under the impression that gill nets are not effective for 'catch and release'. The tribes have the right to fish. However, using gill nets on fish that already are endangered is pretty loving stupid.

coyo7e posted:

"Shoot all the sea lions" doesn't exactly do much to negate this assumptions I'm going to be making about your background, viewpoint, or education on the matter.
What 'good' do sea lions do for the columbia river? They eat quite a bit of salmon. Much like removing the wolves has seen a surge of deer and elk. Removing big invasive predators that consume fish returning to breed, would help.

coyo7e posted:

And hoo boy if you honestly think that it'd be cost-effective and/or sustainable to keep the what, 70,000+ dams up and running which were built in the USA in the past 2 or 3 generations compared to wind or solar, yeah.. There's a lot more that's required than slapping some patch concrete onto the cracks, which is why the klamath basin project is green to remove all the dams along that river lengths - except that american politicians feel that dam removal sounds like "job killing" for their conservative, less-educated, and liberal-hating base so they won't touch that poo poo with a ten-foot salmon rod.
I can't speak for the rest of the United States.

However for Washington state, the last I heard most of the large (600+ MW) dams were doing pretty well. So like an old house, I would choose to keep it rather than wasting time, money and resources building something 'new' to replace it. The exception is the repairs they had to make at Wannapum dam.

The only dam that has been removed to date in Washington was a small one in 2014.

The main dams along the columbia river (East of Portland all the way to Grand Coulee) are pretty much where the bulk of Washington's and Oregon's clean power comes from. (I think around 6000-8000 MW assuming they are running at full capacity.)

The snake river, while smaller than the columbia generates around 3000-3500 MW of electricity, but that is name plate. River/water flow dictates how much electricity gets made.

So they can spill more water over the dam and use less of it to generate electricity. But to actively breach one of the Snake or Columbia dams just does not seem like the right thing to do from the prespective of 'clean energy'. Assuming the dam is breached in 2-3 years I only see natural gas as being used to replace that much electricity. (Much like what happened when California shut down their 2000 MW nuclear plant, SONGS)

I think there was also an argument several years ago that the farm raised fish actually hurt the wild salmon's chances of survival. So maybe cut back on that too.

And the small mouth bass. Can't forget about those. They eat baby salmon. Honestly those probably have more impact than the sea lions do...

Also there is the 2nd and 3rd original benefits of these dams: Flood control and irrigation.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 10, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Hurp Durp about dams
Excuse me? Why do you think Grand Coulee got built besides power generation? (Irrigation.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Basin_Project

My point with existing hydro electric dams is they require next to 0 maintenence and put out 0 carbon emissions.

My opinion on dam removals stands. What are you going to replace that removed power with? Wind? Alright, where are you going to put it? How long is it going to build and permit it. 3000 MW is a sizable amount of electricity.

If you want to replace fossil fuels, focus on doing that first before ripping out thousands of MWs worth of dams and shuttering nuclear plants.

You also assume I live in Idaho, I live in Washington along the Columbia River. (And yes Idaho is part of the PNW.)

With regards to tourism/sports fishing vs. commercial fishing, particularly gill netting. My experience has been that the same # of guys in a boat with rods catch less fish than a boat with a net. Fish are a sustainable resource, if not OVERFISHED! (Otherwise they disappear like off the coast of Japan, Korea, China). I guess we have to agree to disagree.

anthonypants posted:

The Hanford reactor was built in the 40s. Trojan was built in the 70s. In the past 50+ years we have made improvements on nuclear reactor designs, such as in terms of reducing waste and weapons-grade material, but we've also had issues with some nuclear plants in those 50+ years. There's also the massive problem we have with DOE and nuclear plant employees being contractors belonging to private companies, who shirk safety and responsibility in order to increase short-term profits.
DOE has a bad track record, no argument there. But the civilian nuclear power plants have all been pretty drat good in my opinion. The U.S. Navy has also set the gold standard. Hell, I'm pretty sure the private ones are rated better than the federally run ones. (TVA, not DOE.) I am pretty sure DOE no longer has any large power producing plants. A few in Idaho National Labs for testing materials but that is it. However, the DOE does have enrichment facilities run by contractors... (Or are those governed by the NRC? I can't remember... I know they had the drama with Rocky Flats, CO in the 80s and that was run by DOE...)

I do agree that the national labs and others should be Federal employees. Why they switched I don't know. Probably chasing short term profits...

therobit posted:

Yes, but I am not super comfortable assuming we will find a safe way to store the waste, give the type of trouble we are in due to storing other nuclear waste. But I'm a layman, so if you have an explanation as to why that is easier with lower grade waste then I am all ears.
Low activity waste (like contaminated tools and clothing) gets packed and shipped to Texas. Transuranic waste (various 'ium' get shipped to New Mexico)

Spent fuel (Pretty much commercial high level waste) gets stored into an on site pool until it dissipates enough heat. (It goes from hot hot to hot.) Then it gets incased a big loving cylindrical vessel, welded shut, and stored outside. Anchored to the ground, guarded by the same protective force that guards the plant.

I think the U.S. Navy's spent fuel goes to Idaho... I'm not sure.

It will remain that way for the foreseeable future as Yucca Mountain is dead in the water and there is a lot of politics in moving/storing the high level waste.

(I think there might be 5 or 6 locales willing to do it because of jobs... Hanford, New Mexico, Nevada Test Site, Texas, Idaho National Labs) but at the state level pretty much everyone wants their and others waste stored somewhere else permanenetly. So the best thing for politicians to do is to say they're doing something but do nothing at all. Hanford's waste will probably stay in Hanford. California's waste will stay in California. Idaho's waste will stay in Idaho...

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/nuclear-wastes/radioactive-waste-management.aspx

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 11, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

coyo7e posted:

1: you are wrong about the 0 maintenance and 0 emissions on pre-existing dams. To assume that dams don't require constant maintenance is folly and stupidity of the highest order - dams are tremendous feats of human engineering and have a ton of moving parts, as well as parts which suffer stress under 24/7 attacks from that strongest of elements - water. Dams require a lot of maintenance, period. The people performing that maintenance are using vehicles and equipment, they're replacing lost hydraulic fluid that's been slowly leaking into the water, lubricants which the turbines cannot operate safely without, etc etc.. On the topic of "zero maintenance" the dam 20 miles from me up the McKenzie has been under continuous maintenance construction for over three years at this point. http://mckenzieriverreflectionsnewspaper.com/tags/leaburg-dam

Then you go out and say "nobody has been studying it enough - what about flood risks? where do we put the alternative?" https://www.usbr.gov/newsroom/stories/detail.cfm?RecordID=56177

2: You can build windmills anywhere you want. In case you aren't aware, it's REALLY windy all up and down the PNW west of the cascades. I've been to Idaho, I remember it being pretty flat and windy as well.. Now an average onshore wind turbine produces 2.5-3 mW per year, that means, 1000 windmills. That's a like, 33x33 grid of wind turbines, roughly. You want about 10-15 sq acres per turbine, which means 10,000 acres, which is around 16 sq miles, which again, is not a heck of a lot of space.

Also you have other issues which wind turbines DO NOT contribute to: restrictions on fish breeding grounds, sedimentation buildup (which requires TONS of maintenance!), and noise levels - have you ever been near a dam? Wind farms are required to put out less than 50 db of sound at sites where it is measured, around the circumference)

finally, 3000 mW is not "a lot of electricity", it is a lot of power. If you cannot define and internalize the difference between energy, power, and electricity, then you really don't know enough to even form an argument on power production infrastructure.
Really?

You want to argue semantics on the difference between power and electricity? Mega Watts is regularly used to referred to the amount of power produced by power plants. The public at large knows 1-10 MW is loving small. So I am going to use the term most people are familiar with.

With regards to maintenece, I am referring to the fact a dam needs Next to 0 maintenece compared to a coal plant, or nuclear power plant.
(Fresh water is not loving corrosive compared to some of the issues associated with steam or salt water.) I did not list natural gas because really those plants do not need a lot of maintenence either. (Compared to coal or nuclear.)

Yes, occasionally concrete might delaminate and they might have to do the odd job of replacing their older turbines with newer ones. Replacing hydraulic fluid? loving easy.

I am pretty sure wind turbines still use hydraulic fluid and oil in their small generators up at the top. Which I assume needs to be 'topped' up, re-aligned, bearings replaced, every once in a while. Will be interesting to see just how long those generators last until they need to be replaced. (20 years? 40 years?)

With regards to building wind mills... Washington State and Oregon for April have a combined amount of 1470 MW-h
https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_1_14_a

For hydro power... it is just shy of 12,000 MW-h
https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_1_10_a

So where is all this pie in the sky wind power at? Oh its not here you say? We need to increase what we have by.... a factor of 10? We have not built it? Then the smart thing to do in the short term, get all the West coast states and mountain states off coal, then proceed to eliminating natural gas. When that is done, then worry about removing 5-6 dams along the Columbia.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Even worse was live footage showing a reduced speed sign for 30 mph just before that curve.
So it sounds like driver "error" (negligence).

Is it really too much to expect people to be competent at what they do these days?

I have seen far too much "operator error" and you know what? There is only so much stupidity you can engineer out.
(If you're going to go down that road, you might as well make the whole train fully autonomous.)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

porkface posted:

It doesn't require an earthquake to spill a billion gallons of oil into the water and ruin fisheries and our pristine coastline. But yeah, it's extra dumb in a long line of super dumb poo poo.

It's a question of when, not if. It is not backed by any policy other than rich people robbing society.
Last time I checked Washington and Oregon have already ruined their fisheries without relying upon oil contamination....

Aren't the salmon runs on the Columbia at record lows? Yet, still no morotorium on fishing.
(God forbid we go shoot some of those stupid seals and sea lions that eat tons of salmon by the dams.)

Wild salmon running low? Better go crank knob for the bred ones up to 11. Farming salmon? gently caress, we can make a crap load of cash on that....
(Oh they escaped? Well its okay....)

In other (non-Seattle/Portland) news, has there been any updates on the Hirst supreme court case? I heard on the radio that the legislature was getting funding for infrastructure projects held hostage, due to the GOP constitutency wanting a fix to Hirst.

However, I thought I had read something that one of the counties had already adapted some kind of fix.
(Something to do with paying additional taxes and connection fees on new wells or something... Maybe it was just a proposal. But the fees they were proposing sounded hefty, couple hundred dollars of tax per year and an additional one to two thousand dollar 'fee' up front.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 10, 2018

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
It would be nice if we could talk something about the Pacific Northwest that does not directly involve Portland or Seattle.

God forbid we mention any of the other areas or cities or states/provinces that are part of the Pacific Northwest.

A while ago I seem to recall there was discussions between about the ferry system getting converted to all electric (or possibly LNG) ferries. Has anything recently come of that. I think one of the Nordic countries, (Norway?) converted their ferry fleet to all electric for reduced CO2 and noise emissions.

If they do elect to do that, what about having electric tugs or barges(to move stuff up the Columbia and Snake rivers)? Or is the journey time and power required too much to defeat the flow of the rivers?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

anthonypants posted:

I did not consider putting Norway into the thread poll.
Is that sarcasm I detect? Guess I better post a link...

http://crosscut.com/2017/08/washingtons-ferry-future-orca-friendly-low-emission-electric-vessels/

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
So....

"Under the measure, a person who left a firearm in a place where a prohibited person (someone who is prohibited from firearm possession under state or federal law) could potentially gain access to the firearm would be guilty of community endangerment, a class C felony, if a prohibited person gained access to the firearm. Under the measure, when selling a firearm, every dealer would be required to offer to sell or give the purchaser a gun storage device such as a trigger lock designed to stop unauthorized use of the firearm. Additionally, every place where firearms are sold would be required to display the following sign, in block letters (capitalized) and at least one inch in height"

If someone steals a firearm, why should I be charged with a class C felony?

What are the crime rates involving the following?
-Individuals under 21
-Semi automatic rifles

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Javid posted:

Clearly our most pressing problem, just 9th in line, behind such mortal terrors as "being beaten to death by an unarmed assailant" and just edging out "being lit directly on fire"
Not to be a dick but is there a link to some state or federal website this statistic comes from?

Or is this assembled into pie-chart form from some other data set?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 25, 2018

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Javid posted:

I can only hope this current wave of outbreaks of diseases that we as a society have literally solved will be the final straw that gets us mandatory vaccination laws without exceptions or limiting it to just public school kids.

Who am I kidding though, that's not what happens in this timeline.
There are, unfortunately, a growing number of peoplen on both sides of the political spectrum who are against vaccines.

I do not disagree it would be nice to see vaccines be mandatory, except for medically necessary exemptions or complications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I have to say....this wasn't an article I thought I would see on my phone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/20/business/economy/spokane-housing-expensive-cities.html

But not totally unexpected given the ever-increasing housing costs in Washington state.

With regards to duplexes and triplexes...
It's a start.

I think high rise housing is preferred to see the economics of scale work out.
4-5 story high non-luxury condos built of concrete and steel. Or even taller buildings.

The last place I saw offering a new duplex for sale, wanted 250k.
This wasn't in the Seattle area mind you, this was on the East side, of the state, pre-covid.
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 21, 2022