Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

Donald Davidson-esque question, but...I do have one.

Why is the Indy 500-only "GOLD CROWN TITLE" listed as a National Championship in American Championship Car Racing history? Meaning the titles awarded from 1981 to 1995.

Shouldn't it just be CART title during those eras?

The GOLD CROWN is the most important title in american racing, that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

harperdc posted:

the hard part is that Portland Int'l Raceway is, technically, a City of Portland park. So it's public land and the administration is run by a sub-group IIRC.

...which is why their About page features the fact that it does right at the top :v: (also, record lap holder :smith: )

again, I'm very disconnected from all of this, but to make the necessary improvements would either require somebody generously throwing money at the upgrades as a labor of love, or what's in the article referred to as "a promoter-plus" who can bring more things in temporarily for the circuit. Not impossible, but both require a higher hurdle than bringing a race to, oh, Laguna Seca, or COTA, for instance. They would almost have to put the race on as a three-five year plan with the first year(s) as a loss leader to re-establish the event in Portland.

I would love it, and I would time a flight home to go with my dad to it, but there's so many hurdles.

I love that the quarter mile time for a rocket car in the 70s is slower than a top fuel dragster would do now.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Spaced God posted:

I... I want you to show your work as to how halos in F1 cars will completely destroy sales for the F1 game. :psyduck:

Look buddy he's the LUNATIC FRINGE he doesn't have to explain anything.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

harperdc posted:

(Look at the makeup of most NBA players versus most hockey players. Hockey fans and to a lesser extent baseball fans are "at odds" with the NBA for a whooooole ooooother reason)

gently caress off.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

harperdc posted:

Tell me I'm wrong. Whole lot of dog whistles happen there.

"i dont like the nba because its boring poo poo"
"WOW CHECK OUT THIS RACIST ALSO MAKE SURE TO VOTE FOR HILLARY"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

also there are zero hot takes going the other way from NBA fans towards the NHL and racing, I'm sure

No that's okay because rich white people love the NBA and only poor people and minorities like baseball and hockey.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

njsykora posted:

Now that is a good looking racecar.

That is beautiful.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
All these people talking about their shithole midwest towns who have never experienced the horror of Atlanta.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

My aunt lives near Atlanta, and she sucks, so I'll take y'all's word for it.

Imagine Indiana if there was no farmland/forest between Indy, Fort Wayne, and the Louisville Suburbs. Just like small collection of skyscrapers, some mid size, then houses for a mile and then another smaller downtown, and then another, and then another, and then another, and the

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Hell yeah 200 miles a loving hour straight into MacDuffie's Curve can't wait to bury another!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dentist toy box posted:

That's what the bus stop is for though.

Does Indy run the bus stop?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

considering it's Pocono this weekend, over/under on foxes?

thats not how over/under works

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

Over/under on the total number of foxes :colbert:

I'm gonna come to your house and kick your rear end.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Sage Karam should not be in a race car

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

gret posted:

gently caress that guy.

Harsh but fair.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

KingShibby posted:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Doom Car ? ? ?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

kidcoelacanth posted:

After Dixon wins the title he's coming to my apartment with his friend Jimmie Johnson to kick me in the dick

That is the worst misspelling of suck I have ever seen.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dentist toy box posted:

At this rate Mark Plourude is gonna have a ride next year

Don't tease me like this.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

KingShibby posted:

Sounds like the same group of rich fuckers that wanted to buy Belle Isle and make it a sovereign nation. Belle Isle is great and needs to have a race, not to mention you can literally see the GM Renaissance Center from the island so it's the perfect location for a race

The guy in the article has written a lot about how he doesn't like a public park being used for a private event. He's right, to be fair.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

IOwnCalculus posted:

Private events use public parks / infrastructure all the time, though? Especially if they heavily fund improvements to said infrastructure.

I don't give a poo poo but if the taxpayers don't want their tax dollars going to a private thing that's their biz. If GM and Penske want a fancy road course in the Detroit metro they could just build one.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
That article also mentions Nashville (though as a slim chance compared to Portland). I know they probably mean a street track in some parking lot but I'd love to see them run the Fairgrounds.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I honestly don't like Portland (1997 aside it always was one of the most boring races of the year) but I'll be glad to have a race in the PNW.

There's always Evergreen.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Hmm would Indycar be any good on a drag strip?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wirth1000 posted:

What ever happened to that FuzzySkinner guy?

Don't Think It Don't Say It

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
All this talk of Pro Mazda made me look it up and there I found there's a driver named Sting Ray Robb. I am his a #1 fan forever.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

KingShibby posted:

Nah if they're gonna follow the same strategy as the current title sponsor, it would be the Red Bull IndyCar Series
direct competitor to whoever is sponsoring NASCAR, and the market leader to boot

I don't remember the NASCAR GAP Cup Series...

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The Dr. Pep! Indycar Series

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Athanatos posted:

Marco wins the championship this year and also continues to be the prettiest driver

You can win a championship without winning a race.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Back Home Again is a terrible song.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The Pacers are the only thing worse than Back Home Again

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

they went to the conference finals in 2013 and again in 2014 ya dorks. you get ZERO bad NBA team sympathy from me, a Sacramento Kings fan

its weird that you people that live in indiana hate it even more than us that have to visit it ocasionally

The Pacers literally get a subsidy every single year just to play in Indiana and not gently caress off to China or Montreal or whatever. They can go eat a shotgun as can all their fans.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

No. Not a subsidy like "new stadium" because that can at least be used for concerts or whatever. They literally get a loving paycheck from the taxpayers every season.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

Welcome to sports in America, lmao

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wirth1000 posted:

Have you guys heard of this burger place that sells a 1/4 lb of beef (uncooked weight) with cheese'n'stuff? Comes with fries on the side, too. MacDoogals or something

Indiana Tenderloin Sandwiches are a thing, you're never gonna budge this thread.

• Locked thread