Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The wife and I watched Dead Poets Society, which she'd never seen, but 15 minutes in she realized she'd watched the Bollywood adaptation. I'd forgotten how it ends, so it wasn't really an upbeat ending to 2016, but it's a decent movie and we somehow timed it so credits rolled at 11:58 PM.

We smoked cigars and drank throughout the movie.

This morning I ordered a clutch kit for the Datsun, to welcome in 2017. It's gonna be a good year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

After buying an ibrik and some coffee on a whim, I've decided that Turkish coffee is now my poo poo. I brewed some before dinner (homemade French dip sandwiches with melted Jarlsberg) and another pot after. drat.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

why are you so fixated on repeating that over and over

Adiabatic posted:

I really don't mean anything by this, but:

whenever I read the chat thread Im either on my phone with no avatars or im on my work computer with no avatars per the settings.

because of this i dont usually pay attention to the name of the poster.

whenever im like "hey this sounds like something CommieGIR woulf say" i scroll up and 100% of the time it's CommieGIR

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of programming I've been working on a kernel module that Does Stuff with virtual machines, and I just tried to access an address I read out of the VM without first converting guest virtual to guest physical, and guest physical to host virtual. My kernel did not appreciate it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

I think their older videos were a lot more relatable, back when they were doing real back yard stuff and painting with rattle cans. Nowadays its more "here's our car, here's our free high-end ECU with free dyno tuning, here's our free performance tires, here's our full custom exhaust system and now here's Marty doing a full pro paint job" every time.

Making them the perfect people to do a crossover episode with Roadkill, who started out with "let's fly to Texas, buy a random car, and drive it on route 66 back to LA" but now seem to lean more toward "we spent way too much for a muscle car rolling chassis, and now we'll drop in this crate motor thanks to our friends at Dodge"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Where is Stand Your Ground when you need it? Oh, too busy targeting the kid walking down the street.

Well, since Florida forbids carrying in any part of an airport, Stand Your Ground was probably pretty tough.

https://www.floridacarry.org/issues/concealed-and-unconcealed-carry/40-airport-carry-is-legal-in-44-states-but-florida-will-put-you-in-jail

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the spyder posted:

I envy you. I manage several small companies SM presence and it takes up way to much of my life. I'm trying to move away from it, except for a scheduled time once a day to deal with trolls/updates/ect. Otherwise it straight up became too depressing, wasting time watching other people do stuff when I should be work on my own awesome projects. Short version: gently caress Facebook.

For the last year or so I've pretty much only had a Facebook account so my wife can tag me in photos. It feels amazing, I highly recommend it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

Exactly!!!

Diesel merc guy. start a thread. like now.

E: I'm going back to ignoring the chat thread. this really angries up my old blood.

I agree with everything you say here

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I would like to clean my 'new' transmission a little bit before I install it. What's the best way to get old nasty grease off without making a huge mess / killing all my grass / etc? Purple Power and a rise? If I work on a concrete slab, will it stain the fucker?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The marque of the beast

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yes, it will stain the slab.

Lay down several layers of cardboard and go to town with some brake cleaner? Or throw it in the back of someone's truck and take it to a self service car wash and hit it with degreaser, use the rinse there. Take it out of the truck first if they value their paint. :v: Or do what I did and just toss it in the trunk with some rags, take it out to wash it, wipe it off as best you can and chunk it back into the trunk to take it home.

Goes without saying, but make sure the tailshaft opening is covered somehow.

Oh, cardboard, what the hell's wrong with me? I've got cardboard out the rear end.

There's also a self-service car wash just down the street, which would be a pretty good lazy option.

Edit: I have a truck so the car wash is pretty easy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I've seen plenty of claims that Walmart oil is a different "less pure" formula but never a scrap of proof.

Ok guys, we're doing the special Walmart run today, so go grab your piss-bottles. Make sure you don't mix up the indistinguishable jugs and cartons with that other lot we're sending to the dealers (DEALERS HAVE THE BEST OIL).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The best was a guy who claimed to work for a MAJOR OIL MAKER and they stamped codes in UV ink on the bottles that identified it as destined for Walmart.

That sounds like it would be real easy to verify.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Eww, there's crud suspended in the Midget's clutch reservoir. Should I just try to bleed it down until the reservoir's empty, then clean it with a paper towel and bleed it again? I discovered this because the clutch is basically right on the floor and has basically no range of motion, figured it needs to be bled.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

He drives a stock tan accord?

His biggest crime is being named Studebaker and living in Indiana and driving a loving Honda.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I should be an uncle by tonight! I shall strive to be a cool uncle.

Edit: I already have a moustache

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

keykey posted:

Congrats! I'm pretty sure I'll never get the chance to be THAT uncle even though I've wanted to be for a while but my sister has aged out and my brother in law doesn't look like he's going to do anything with life besides smoke weed erryday.

Well, they're pretty lucky to be having a kid too; it was IVF and even that was pretty dicey.

How old is old enough for a sip outta the beer can when mom's not around?

I had an aunt who always gave us books and we looked forward to those the most. Her family (my in-laws) are going to be giving her plenty of girly stuff, so I'll stick to books and legos and such.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

did your siblings troll you as a kid? I have some gift suggestions, ranging from fun to monstrous to outright war
- legos, preferably mostly small pointy ones
- battery powered toys that make noise
- battery powered toys that make noise, with ultra long life batteries secreted inside so even if the batteries in the sockets mysteriously keep disappearing, the toy keeps making noise
- battery powered toys that make noise, with ultra long life batteries secreted inside and more in the normal sockets... super glued in
- kid energy powered toys that make noise
- kid energy powered musical instruments, to include: accordions, banjos, violins (a violin in the wrong hands is a psychological weapon), drums, bagpipes, harmonicas
- if all else fails, a recorder

My brother and sister are so lucky they don't want kids.

Well it's my brother-in-law's kid. I'll be giving the kid legos, books, science stuff like microscopes when she's old enough, and yes probably some musical instruments.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Don't tell me she likes... Hershey's? With that subtle hint of vomit the kids do love so!

meltie posted:

Yeah, this is fairly normal for the UK - they're just normal people on a Saturday night. I wouldn't read too much into it; it's just modern British fashion and life.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Hersheys is loving vile

Something about British people, it's like their eyes light up when they read the word "Hershey's" and they immediately rush to post something about the only food in existence where a British version could possibly be considered superior.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What wood should I buy to go between jackstands and my vehicle? The frame rails under the Datsun are kind of bent and don't sit well on top of the jackstands. Do I want 2x4? 4x4?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Whatever fits best?

Ok, I'll probably grab a 2x4 and chop it up, I just wanted to make sure that would be safe. I've used 1x4 in the past but it felt really sketchy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

A full fuel tank, a couple days off work, and a few hundred bucks to blow because gas is triple what it was when I got my license but wages are flat when adjusted for inflation.

somebody who's actually good at stats should make plots showing, with inflation adjustments: price of gas, price of a Honda Civic (longest-running name I could come up with right now), average wages, and maybe some road trip essentials like a can of Coke or a pack of cigarettes.

Or maybe graphing percent change since the first year would allow you to put them all on one graph and more easily make comparisons.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well, I traded the MG for a Volvo 164.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

clam ache posted:

Boxing day 2.0

Edit:Crap new page. Its finally 36* Frankenstein so I can now fix the brakes on my jeep

Mods namechange to 36° Frankenstein please

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Are there any brake/clutch bleeding tools worth buying for under $50? Yelling instructions to my wife and running around to keep the reservoir topped up is getting old.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SquirrelGrip posted:

just booked tickets to japan, going to spend two weeks at ebisu shredding tires and body panels. anyone been before?

Been to Japan but not Ebisu. Hit up the konbini and buy a Strong Zero Grapefruit; I loved them and drank one every day, my wife on the other hand hated the flavor

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

I ended up giving away something I had listed on all the local fb groups for sale in AISS, because the only people who seemed to be interested were broke rear end vapebro dipshits who wanted to chat with me on facebook about "how fuken sikk itd be on their grancherkee bro, man thatd be awesome!!!" and yet had no discernible mechanical skills nor any idea how much money or time is involved in doing that, and always managed to make themselves scarce as soon as I suggested they buy it and do exactly what they said with it.

Was this the supercharger?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Will the next mod be as autistic as you i wonder

I mean, I'm not diagnosed but let's face it yes I probably am even more autistic than IOC.

Edit: spoke too soon, watch this space for the blue star

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Everyone should. I feel like with 'tax back there's going to be a massive sub forum purge and the ones that aren't "funny" will be the first togo.

Well, FYAD had a good run.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Makes me want to get back into BEAM robotics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BEAM_robotics

I built a few BEAM robots back in middle school and high school. Looked into it again about a year back and it has not really advanced much. It doesn't help that Tilden was always very close-mouthed about his advanced designs, and for most people it was a goddamn miracle if they could get a simple bicore soldered up properly--there were very few people involved who had proper education in electronics design, so I and most others were basically just cargo-culting. Now I've got a computer engineering degree but BEAM circuits are still a little weird because they tend to use components in a different way than most normal circuits.

I still think a 4-motor (or 8-motor) walker with a microcontroller as a rider/brain would be interesting but these days I'd just as soon play with cars instead.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Did they still do the 8oz ladle of grease in the bottom of pan pizzas? When I saw that I never wanted PH again.

For years the only pizza my parents would order was Pizza Hut pan, and that loving grease sponge made me say "oh, i don't much care for pizza" for years.

In their defense, the only options at the time were Pizza Hut and Dominos, and eventually they tried PH's New York style and us kids never let them get pan again. (we were 40 minutes from any pizza place so we never got free pizza at school events or that sort of thing)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InitialDave posted:

an understanding that you can damp out :spergin: with sufficient alcohol intake.

try me, bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If you're in the SF bay area, I'm a fan of Patxi's pizza. don't think there are any locations beyond that though.

• Locked thread