Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Little creek base is pretty good for traffic compared to NOB.

Camp Allen has some really nice beaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Cerekk posted:

getting punched in the face for no reason is pretty good compared to having your fingernails pried off with bamboo shanks

I laughed.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I believe that these large deck ships only have the CC readers setup while in the yards, once they leave they usually go to all Navy Cash Card only.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

For the majority of personnel e5 and under quitting time is immediately after morning formation

I feel like you've never lived on a ship...

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Pompeii is cool AF, recommend you get there in the morning hours.

Also there is another buried city called herculaneum which is super cool too.

Other than those sites and a couple museums Naples is pretty much poo poo. Goto Rome or the Amafi coast.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

orange juche posted:

This leads to culinary adventures for sure

That said, download Google translate on your phone, it has a sign/text translate function that can translate signs and other poo poo into whatever language simply by pointing the phone camera at it.

Hot travel tip: Make sure you predownload the language pack you want so the live translation feature works properly.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

Anyone got any experience with blue to green? Navy sucks Army seems a lil better.

Getting out is a better option IMO, but I don't know what your rate is or what your career prospects look like so I dunno.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

DustyNuts posted:

Where my Tidewater GiP goons at? Everyone ready to die in the hurricane?

Wooooo!!!

Zone C here so I'm gonna ride it out.

Shipyards are shutting down, some useful numbers if anyone needs em:

BAE Shipyard weather – 757-494-4002

MARMC weather - 757 -400-7777

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

simplefish posted:

You should do something useful to both break the monotony and save time later. Like you could have been cleaning your weapon.

Yeah, maybe disassemble it so you can get it really clean.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

It literally gets mentioned at least once a week.

I still have a sensible chuckle every time I think about that.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Honor, courage and commitment only applies if you're not wearing stars on your collar. Once you've made O-7 lying and deception is par for the course. The Navy was never going to tell the whole truth if they can get away with it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 12, 2018

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I've been thinking about network security on ships alot recently and I think BSG had the right idea, there is no such thing as a secure network.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

pmchem posted:

"But I will not allow a networked computerized system to be placed on this ship while I'm in command." -- Adama, S1E1.

Make Adama the space admiral of the space force and I'm enlisting day one.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Fred Dawes posted:

My first orders came in! I'm going to be a link maintenance technician on a DDG out of Norfolk. I wanted Japan, but Europe's cool too. I don't really know what to expect, but I'm excited that I got decent orders. Any tips for an ET3 fresh out of A-School?

The link school is in Damneck and is super chill, I think the students there are on 30 section duty lol.

Pay lots of attention to CDLMS for fucks sake.

You will go cranking, if you can try to do your time in port instead of at sea. Try not to forget entirely how to ET.

Like everyone else said do your drat quals ASAP. No one likes an unqualified noob, get your watch stations and 3M done.

Keep in mind as an ET on a small boy you will be expected to work on far more systems than whatever system you got a school for.

I was a link and satcom tech on a CG and a LSD, stationed in Norfolk. Now I'm a contractor for SPAWAR still in the Norfolk area so if you've got questions feel free to PM me.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Thronde posted:

As said, get your 3M quals, the higher you can the better, CSOSS too, it's a good deal to have CSOOW Qual whether or not you stand it.

CSOOW on a DDG is endgame content but yeah that's definitely the goal.

Nthing the don't drink the coolaid bit. It's a job not an identity.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

What the hell does slap the table even mean?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

If you're not eating warm cold cuts and taking 10 second cold showers it sounds like you're living a life of luxury.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

If you're not literally eating plankton for food and drinking bilge water then gtfo my country!!!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah, marching in a parade, that sounds horrible.

It is though?

Have you ever marched in a (military) parade before? It's loving awful.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm particularly bitter from being a nuke and being regularly bitched up. Marching in a parade would've been a top moment for my enlistment.

gently caress that's depressing as hell

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I am currently mustering with the entire duty section at midnight because our duty section chief threw a temper tantrum.

I go on leave in 16 hours so gently caress it bring the gently caress gently caress games on bitch.

Classic duty section.

When the sailors I'm training ask why I didn't reenlist I usually just answer "Duty days" and they all just nod and understand.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

You could do a lot worse than GCCS tech, def gonna get a lot of command visibility which is good if you're a go-getter rather than a slacker.

If you're a hater or a miserable person it doesn't matter what your NEC is.

And like the other poster said, I think GCCS is on almost every surface combatant. If you're a GCCS tech on a small boy you'll be doing non-GCCS stuff ~95% of the time anyways.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I would just be embarrassed to try and explain wtf "crossing the line" is to someone who isn't a sailor.

If I walked into someone's house and they had a shellback cert proudly hanging on the wall I'd wonder about their sanity and self-respect IMO.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

McNally posted:

If someone explained to me that they had something stupid framed on their wall because their mother went to the trouble of framing it for them I'd totally understand.

Well, yeah. Coming from my Mother would make me think again about it.... Maybe post it in my work office not at home?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Thank you. I'll throw in my 2c and say Herculanum is possibly cooler than Pompeii, but I haven't been to Pompeii in 5 or so years, and I know they've done a BUNCH of stuff recently.

Herculanum was great and is much less crowded than Pompeii. The audio tours at Pompeii are really good too, I'd recommend getting one at the entrance.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Davethulhu posted:

Hello again navy goons, one more request from my son, asking for "command climate, like how the crew likes the command" for the following:

CG 57
CG 62
NMCB 133

Thanks again in advance.

I forgot what rate your son is but CGs are my favorite class of ship. Speaking as a former ET.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Cerekk posted:

I swear if you went to the most average ship in the Navy and pulled the most average O-3 and E-5 and made them the CNO and MCPON for a month we would solve 90% of the stupid rear end problems that we flail around uselessly spending millions of dollars on while passing up the obvious solutions with no downsides.

All the vending machines would be full of dip and smokes.

Change of command ceremonies would be O-4 and up only.

Every divisional LPO gets to eject one shitbag member of their division from the ship yearly. (Via catapult if possible)

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Fourth change: every month one of the CPOs in the mess gets voted off the ship by the E-5 and below crew onboard. Play the whole thing out live on the Ship's TV network as some kind of reality TV entertainment.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

If the ship is heading into the yards, isn't it likely he'll just get crossdecked to a deployer instead? I imagine being a first-term Sailor in the yards is garbage.

Nah they will cross deck the second class with a few years experience instead.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Al Capwn posted:

I'm a shore sailor and I was sent on a COMPUTEX and recently got back from a deployment. That experience was cool and all but definitely changed my mindset of the Navy. Before all that I was definitely going to reenlist. Now with having spent 9 months at sea while on shore duty I am most definitely going to get out. I have 6 months until my PRD, and I have 10 months until my EAOS. Since it was easy for my CMC to send me off like that, im worried that if I tell my plans to not reenlist he will send me TAD somewhere again and thus ruin potential plans I have set about leaving. If he tries to send me TAD again for whatever reason, is there a way to contest or fight it?

Don't tell anyone you're getting out until the last possible minute because a large chunk of the lifers in the Navy will take it as a personal insult that you're not also going to spend 20+ years in the Navy.

Probably nothing you can do to fight TAD orders in most cases.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

boy are my arms tired posted:

greetings i am returned from my first deployment

it was, uh, an experience

Whats your rate/fate?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

"As a logistics vessel, the ship does not have water-tight compartments or weapons systems."

yikes

LOL, why wouldn't a logi ship have water tight compartments ahhhhhhhhh

Anyways, I was onboard an unnamed CVN today and in their radio room doing some training on a SATCOM system for 6 or 7 ITs onboard. One of them stopped me to ask if we can see the radio waves coming out of the radomes out on the mast.

I stopped and stared at him for a few seconds, while I tried to figure out what he must really be asking because that probably had to be the stupidest question I've ever heard of in my life. This is when I assume that he must be pulling my leg, this is some kinda joke everyone is in on except me. So I answer back: "You're just loving with me...right?". He responds: "This guy I knew from A school said you can see the radio waves coming off of the antennas". The whole room died of laughter, holy loving poo poo. This dude was completely serious. How do you get through IT A school and put on IT3 and literally have no idea.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Navy relief saved my E3 rear end a couple times, good people.

Pisses me the gently caress off that they are needed so badly, Navy should take care of their people!

Lol, FTN.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

pkells posted:

Edit: It’s very similar to the special checkout lines in grocery stores that don’t have candy for parents to take their toddlers through without causing a fit over a kit kat bar.

Woah what the gently caress?? I need these in my life but I've never seen one.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

So the chucklefucks that shot the round off at the gate at Great Lakes just got done going through XOI and Mast. The XO recommended they both get busted down and lose their rates as MA's. The CO gave one of them a suspended bust and 30 days, the other got busted and 45 days.

The fuckers literally covered up a crime scene and popped off a round for no reason and they get to still be gate guards. lol.

Seems like cruel and unusual punishment IMO, stripping their rates would have been merciful.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

You at least have to have an assembled weapon to fire off rounds. I’m with the CO.

This joke is still funny every drat time. LOL

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

It's probably 99% bullshit but the easiest solution is just take the stupid test.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Congrats to those who made it but yeah I think the CPO mess is a lot of what's wrong with the enlisted navy.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The Chief's Mess: The cause of, and solution to, most of the Navy's Problems.

Could also be "the wardroom" or "the admirals" or "the enlisted."

Conclusion: the Navy, since the beginning of time, is a world of contrasts, and many agree there are no solutions.

Pretty much yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Actual shipboard footage after 85 days underway