Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
gently caress the yards and everyone who works there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

LingcodKilla posted:

Hooray shoreleave in Athens! Apparently we need to ROM at sea for a few weeks before we can pull in anywhere else but still. Still waiting to see if they are going to extend my orders after I volunteered for another 6 months.

Summer in Athens is pretty rough, make sure to hydrate and stay cool. Athens is neat for approximately 3 days and then is boring as hell

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

piL posted:

Its a favor, until there's a fire; NWUs are far more comfortable than the Navy issue coveralls imo, especially when its wet and warm.

Until its warm enough to melt to your skin.

What? Poopy suits are way more comfortable

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I guess I should have stayed in.

[sarcastic Peabody snicker]

On the other hand, holy poo poo I'd be at 15 years right now.

Likely with your third marriage falling apart

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Holiday leave? Must be nice, must be nice

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Seems like everyone is feeling on edge. Let's all take some time to pick our favorite line in the sailors creed and bring them back so we can all discuss what we LIKE about naval service in 2020?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Got a hankerin'

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Susa posted:

They command assigned our new psych tech to the urology clinic and my two chiefs have effectively done nothing about it for two month and we are massively undermanned, Part of me wants to get out but the other half naively things I can help this clown fiesta still.

Help? drat they got your brain scrambled

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Anita Dickinme posted:

Anyone have any experience getting a discharge type upgraded through the VA or just know where to start with that? Coming up on six months since I got discharged and I wouldn’t mind getting my honorable.

My understanding is that most veteran service organizations branches have people who handle these kind of requests. I'd call up some offices in larger cities close to you and ask around.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Make sure you talk to a navy doc about any and all ailments you have and make sure it's all documented.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Louisiana hosed me out of my unemployment by letting a hurricane knock out the power for the phone reporting service and treating that as a lapse in my reporting. This was immediately following the completion of a 2 week lead-in period and a 2 week reporting period. They said I'd have to wait another month before getting another check.

Rotten fucks.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I blame the chiefs, but don't expect them to fix anything

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
https://twitter.com/i/status/990087800438513665

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/cdetje/status/1366897170780200963?s=19

This tracks as every detailer is a psychotic person

Ahhaah I hope that's true

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Godholio posted:

That family straight up had a meeting and decided they would end their family name by not having children. Metal.

I guess the connection between SA and Hitler runs all the way back to the start

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I thought terminal was akin to a right? Well at least you'll get paid for those days, though just at your base pay rate, which makes the whole thing a loving ripoff. Be sure to tell everyone to eat poo poo as you leave the base

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

The Navy likes to get as close to The Point as possible, then avoid it by the thinnest margin.

Did three (3) field days on a whole 6 month deployment (1 before ERR, two before ORSE) got an EXCELLENT in C/S/P on ORSE.

Did we switch to only doing the focused cleanups that were massively popular with the crew, and resulted in a demonstrably cleaner ship after deployment?

gently caress no, climb in that bilge and sleep for three hours blueshirt.

:toot: :2bong:

If your crew didn't enjoy Junior vs Senior enlisted hide-and-seek then I'm not sure there is a moral building exercise you would have enjoyed

Weed edit: just listening to music while high and maybe a beer or two remains one of my favorite ways to waste away an afternoon

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Welp, managed to once again successfully spend another 2 years not getting a DUI, committing frat or failing a UA, so now I get to be a full LT. :toot:

Disgusting

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hmm, sleeping, must be nice

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Sometimes during our monthly SSMG clean and inspect, when we would get cycled twice with 6 hours of maintenance after watch in a row, I would shut my eyes with my arm deep in the machine and pass out for a moment or two. I'd also skip my after watch meal to sleep for 20 minutes in my rack prior to cleanup because of how tired I was.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Fred Dawes posted:

Hi guys, lurker here seeking advice. I'm an AD ET2 with my EAOS and PRD coinciding 2-3 years from now. My main priority when transitioning from sea duty is to relocate to Dallas, TX. I've got a couple rough plans for what happens then:

A) Get my CCNA certification by then and :getout:. Use my Post 9/11 GI Bill to get a BS in Comp Sci to transition to Software Development.

B) Do shore duty. The benefits include tuition assistance, normal working hours, job security, and health insurance. Unfortunately, the in-rate billets listed on MNA (even showing 1 up 1 down and closed) do not offer anything near Dallas. I think my best chance is to apply for MEPS Dallas or recruiting.

Can anyone speak to how recruiting / MEPS is? Have I overlooked another option?

Recruiting is an awful poo poo show of misery, per every recruiter I have ever spoken to.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Uhh actually the reduction in force is good because it helped me get out 2 years early. God bless those admirals 💙💙💙💙💙💛💛💛💛💛

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I think the old GI bill was better for getting a pilot license, but that is something I recall hearing and never actually looked into. Not sure if that's any help whatsoever

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

DustyNuts posted:

Detached from my command today, after 6 1/2 years. Feels weird as hell. 30+ days of leave ahoy!

Congrats man, you doing anything special with your leave?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
They didn't just blow the whistle twice?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

titties posted:

Probably, it's been a pretty long time but there must have been whistle blasts. They also blared taps throughout the entire base which is the part i remember more vividly

Yeah as I was typing that response I realized I wasn't 100% sure about how colors worked in-port vs underway or whatever and realized that I had not participated in colors since I left prototype in like 2009 or so ( I think)

We had an old CS1 who had a pedo-stach and likened every meal he made to sex or jizz or something else totally foul, but he would make pretty good breakfast quesadillas so he was alright. A stellar sailor compared to the CS3 who poured mop water into the ventilation ducting to "clean" it and shorted out half the ships IC communications

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 12, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Carlsbad is really cool - if you think you can manage it try and catch the bat show at sunset. You can also hike out of the caverns right before dusk, iirc, but I'm not sure how plausible that's gonna be with 2 kids and a dog. Definitely a very cool national park with some excellent tours

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Add 5 parts gluten to 2 parts shame, stir in constipation. Portion, bake, then serve

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

titties posted:

Based on some of your responses I'm starting to wonder if my experience was unusual and most of you were not served fresh, made-from-scratch bread rolls with dinner every night while underway

We had hot rolls every once and while but it's the kind of thing you'd get from a hotel buffet or something. Our real creature comfort was the soft serve machine with accompanying flavor requests. Root beer floats after watch was a nice treat I got to have 1.3 times a day, every day we were on deployment.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’m living in this dudes area right so I’m gonna try to show up to some town hall to ask him a bunch of stupid questions

"Why does watching people clean qualify you to be a legislator?"

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

IncredibleIgloo posted:

His comment that his GI Bill benefit was given to his kids in the divorce settlement really, really strikes me as very odd.

My work community doesn't tend to hire people who retired from the Navy, mostly because those that stay in either stayed in because they lacked the ability to make it outside the Navy, or they enjoyed Navy "Culture", both things being pretty big drawbacks.

I remember my last LPO, a gold first in the Nuke world, an ET1 at NRMD. He was pretty limited in skills and training and whatnot, got out, then went to work for the shipyard immediately and got fired within 18 months or so because he thought he could still talk to people like he was on the boat. Guess he had a meltdown on someone who didn't do things exactly the way he wanted them to do, the guy immediately told his supervisor, and ET1 got fired the same day. Shits wild. Even more wild is that I only know this because he shared it on Facebook.

Most of the nukes I know that stuck around were fuggin idiots who had 0 initiative or aspirations. There were a couple competent stand-outs, but I could count them on one hand. Almost everyone that was good now works GE or some civilian plant

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Got a call at 2200 last night from CSOOW who was one of my techs. Aft Lookout reports that the Salvo Warning Alarm for the Harpoon launcher just went off for a few seconds. They heard it on the bridge. The Captain heard it on the bridge.

So I go up to CIC. I go to the WCIP, the control console for Harpoon. It's right next to this other console that some OS is standing watch at. His U/I is sitting at my harpoon console. With his loving feet propped up on the loving salvo warning alarm switch.

Dont leave us hanging, what'd you do? Smoke his rear end? Pretend like there was an actual emergency while pointing the skipper to his underlings feet? Call in the XO to help analyze the issue?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Well you see, these cargo boats are mostly automated....

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

lightpole posted:

Light work.

No plastic over the side bruh.

That box link up some out of phase power supplies or something?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

orange juche posted:

Saw something crawl across the ticker for Merchant Marine,

TW: assault victim describing sexual assault/rape during her Sea Year

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/11/business/maersk-rape-investigation-merchant-marine/index.html

Sea Year may be getting suspended again because crews can't keep their hands off female cadets. The US federal government doesn't really have a way to actually enforce compliance with the zero tolerance sexual assault mandate, right? Considering there's a very small amount of US flagged carriers out there, I guess they could stop putting cadets on non-US flagged vessels.

I'd ask the question "how hard is it to not be loving rapey" but the answer is apparently "very hard indeed" :negative:

Has anyone been keeping an eye on stats year over year for sexual assaults and the like? These reports come out so frequently that Im left wondering whether the rates of assault are actually getting worse, as opposed to reporting becoming more commonplace.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
We had a bunch of senior 1sts who had returned to engineering from recruiter billets who got tagged with some disrespectful nicknames and who would get clowned on by competent e-4s and e-5s. They were mostly mechanics though. Our dmoothies had some dipshit sea returnee shitbag who whined enough to the chiefs mess that people had to stop openly disrespecting him while on watch

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Red Crown posted:

Coming up on six years. The Navy has yet to gently caress me over, but it keeps up with the papercuts. Slice by slice. I feel like I'm in a bad relationship: "just think of the good times," I tell myself at 3AM being force fed Fox News on watch. "I'm sure things will be just like the good old times soon!"

You're not allowed to watch TV on watch

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I did just over 100 days on a SSGN - that poo poo sucked terribly. By the end of that deployment I was eating PB+J and Raisin bran every meal because the poo poo they were serving in the galley was friggin nasty. I also managed to get ahold of the last of the ship's oatmeal and had to eat it in secret lest I go to mast.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Send the Chaplain to deck div until hes qualified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

MonkeyFit posted:

SRBs were already 100k for ETs when I joined in 2011. Until the limit gets raised they're going to have a very hard time retaining people as well. I turned it down because it wasn't worth another year on my sub.

gently caress a reenlistment bonus that poo poo is for morons