Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Schlabbalabba posted:

NAVY 2017: Find your fucks at FOD walkdown

NAVY 2017: It still won't get better after ORSE

NAVY 2017: Yes, aircraft carriers have Starbucks...

NAVY 2017: Now with rates, still without morale.

Navy 2017: It'll get better after The Yards INSURV ORSE Deployment .....gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Null Integer posted:

One of my old captains on USS LASTBOAT grabbed a pair of work gloves and loaded stores with ships crew in the hard rain for the entire duration, he stayed late that night to finish all of his normal O-5 work that got pushed to the side because of it. He knew it was important to the crew that he helped out since he had to call them in on a weekend just to load food. He may have overstepped, but gained a poo poo ton of respect from it.

Idk, if you call people in on the weekend because its important, you better be in line. Good for him.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Calus posted:

Oh the memories. I almost forgot about the aquaflage. I always liked the utilities better

They were both equally awful. Just in different ways.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I feel that the Coast Guard has done the working uniform appropriately, and that the French coveralls with their reflectivity are pretty much the way to go. Second cruise did a crew swap with the Charles Du Gaulle and they were very good.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

no bones about it posted:

Suck it up I was DCPO of my division when I was AD for almost 3 years and I probably can still perform most of the maintenance on a WTD in my sleep.

I know this is a thing for most Army and MC guys and gun tear downs after they get out, but I guarantee I could still troubleshoot NSSMS, CIWS, and (not that it needs it) RAM in my sleep.

That poo poo is burned into my brain bad. Should have been a CASREP guy, but instead got a BS in Civil Engineering instead.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

I got questions for IRR that I cant seem to find answers for sure on. Do I muster on NKO or what? Also whats this I hear about a physical?

I checked out on terminal and thats the last I heard from anyone. Still had a year and a half of IRR time and didn't get contacted once.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

I miss westpac with an amazing crew. I miss being really good at what we did. I miss the boat feeling like home.

I don't miss "Navy" BS

I miss sunsets in the middle of the Pacific. I miss 20 foot seas off Washington and Oregon rocking me to sleep comfortably because the water temp is so cool berthing is like loving heaven.

I also miss high explosives and standing as safety observer behind CIWS during a pacfire and hanging out near the flight deck. I do not miss 3M and zone inspections and lovely leadership. And the shipyards is probably the preeminent lovely experience in my life.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DownByTheWooter posted:

CTA is now just a YN with SCI

This actually sounds like the cushest job on the boat.

PneumonicBook posted:

I was underway so I need to catchup.

Guy going into reserves, dont, I regret it, personally.

Person wanting sweet job and certs, everyone already hit the mark, you can try FC as well but you have to go through AECF and might end up an ET. Tons of jobs on the outside for FC's though.

To any Sailor who will ever get underway on a Freedom variant, I'm sorry, I think. As a visitor it was cumbersome, maybe it's better as ships company. Tough to judge now. Mess line was cool though.

My understanding is that there is no FC reserve, if you get out as an FC, you have to go back to Great Mistakes to do the last 9 weeks of ET A school to get reclassed ET.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 3, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah and there's really no reason not to accept frocking. I can't think of a single useful reason.

I missed the frocking ceremony for E-5 because....I think I was on POM leave? And I basically laughed at my LPO when he suggested I fly back to Seattle from Nashville for it.

....It took a while for me to be able to wear E-5. I had to get some of my uniforms updated and some not. I think I got stood at attention some day in CSMC with my LCPO and the CSMO when I was trying to run tags in February I think.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Ooh I may finally get to go underway! The cruiser may take some of scrub reservists who've never been underway on a ride back to San Diego.

That's a good ride. You will get some fine nap time in there.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

Shoulda got out when you could, best time to exit is between wars :q:

It's been 247 days since I got out of the navy, still feels good.

I really should have a hell tracker that shows me the time since I've been out.

5 and a half years, and the Lincoln is still in RCOH. Lol.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

How much worse do you imagine it sucks now as compared to when it went in? I remember when the Lincoln went into RCOH, it was pulled up to the pier next to us prior to it going into the yards. It looked like a rusty piece of poo poo for the entire loving year it sat pierside while its RCOH schedule was in the air.

I tried to warn everyone I know to try to get off before it got over there using whatever means................it didn't sound like a great situation.

The crew ate back to back deployments and a home port change, the round the world deployment was extended twice, and then they got to Norfolk and everything was in limbo, and I can only imagine how shittily that got spun on board.

I know I wouldn't have handled that well but *shrugs*

So to answer your question, I'm guessing some corners were cut and its going to be broken all the time if/when it becomes operational again.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Idk if they've changed this, but in 2009 you could drink on the beach at Dam Neck, which was a good enough reason to not go to VA Beach.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

"The gently caress you mean the galley line is 45 minutes long and all they have is hard boiled eggs?"

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Just echoing some sentiments in here about how most of this should be redacted off this page.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

Surely one of you SWOs could write a simple python script that predicts collisions and make millions selling it to the government.

Still depends on Furuno and other stuff. The resolution is only so accurate and depends on a lot of people doing manual observation and updating inside of the horizon.

There are definitely prediction algorithms in place already.

Echoing MML's thoughts on the Mccain collision. Something weird is in play and its been bugging me all day. Everything is very vague and there's only like one PR announcement from C7F and the Chinese announcements that people are quoting from outside of pictures from the ship. As stated previously, it was a straits/libbo transit which means a bunch of people were briefed and on watch.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

As a current practicing civil engineer and former enlisted FC, if you arent looking at Admin or Supply youre doing it wrong. CEC is going to pay you less money to babysit a bunch of Seabees and deal with DoD beauracracy on top of contract procurement beauracracy. Like Army Corps is probably as close as I'd wander. At least with Admin and Supply you can just skate all of the time and deal with junior enlisted drama. That's about what ensign pay is worth.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

NO STAY AECF YOU POOR SAP

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

On the civilian side, noone is going to give you management responsibility until you have a PE. And you don't have to babysit idiots. I just got done with my babby engineering stint at a consultant and got left more or less alone for the last three and a half years.

I could have been an officer and gotten roped into explaining why SN Dumbass got a DUI for the fourth time.

And in exchange for the loss of this idiotic burden? You get paid more. And the benefits are better.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

ET is loving rad. I wouldn't have picked any other job looking back.

FC sucked in a lot of ways compared to ET, but high explosives and a lot of compartment space.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

What's this poo poo about going AECF and choosing ET or FC? Is that like having the new guy clean the launch window?

Oh I didn't mean to suggest that was the case. I recall walking into A school in the morning one time and has my name written on a board with ET or FC sitting next to it. Indicate maybe?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

guys, im in vegas, on a Wednesday night, drinking martinis in a cocktail lounge, and I didn't need to get permission from my chief to go out of area. my advice:

1) get out.

2) never go nuke.

This is a good post OP

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I always have this dream where I can be like the avionics tech rep on an aircraft carrier, make friends with the FCs and gain access to their sponsons and not have a chain of command outside of Corporate.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Fyi, if you haven't heard, the pilot was a female. I can't guarantee this is true but my source is fairly reliable.

Oh my blessed stars I hoped this was the case

E: Not for any particular reason other than the fact that Big Navy would be less likely to swing the PR Stick at a woman professional for the boys being boys nonsense. This is like a 1 on the Military Industrial Complex Indignity Scale and deserves to die as such.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 22, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

To be fair if I had infinite manpower with no reprecussions id probably be a lazy non-planning piece of poo poo too.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Boggled my mind why we were getting a smallpox vaccine in TYOOL 2007, and fills in a lot of the gaps I was curious about at the time.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Would legit believe that China got a railgun working.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lou Takki posted:

I have no doubt they could build a functioning railgun, but building it to not eat the barrel every shot is another challenge entirely.

Also this.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

There's an In-N-Out just off the trolley in National City. There's a burrito place south of 32nd St somewhere that was outside of walking distance that one of the Tech Reps for NAVSEA vouched for.....can't remember the name but looking at the map it could have been Joe's or Roberto's. I remember he got lunch for the shop down there one afternoon.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

Retirement is still 20 years, regardless of HYT policy changes.

NAVADMIN 307/17 explains that minimum tour lengths are now matched to the OBLISERV (obligated service) required. Used to be TOS (time on station) 12 months minimum for sea duty, 24 for shore duty. Now you have to commit to the full 24/36/48 months or whatever to be able to transfer. Refusal or failure to OBLISERV prior to transfer results in separation. For those eligible to retire, they retire.

Extensions on an enlistment can only be done twice per enlistment, for a maximum aggregate of 23 months. The divide between the two doesn't matter (12 x 11, 3 x 20, 1 x 22 x 1, etc). Reasons to extend can be limited, normally to match EAOS to PRD. There are exceptions to policy available, but they're situational. This applies to AD. USNR rules are different.

Ask all of your random Navy personnel policy questions ITT.

Hail satan

DN's attention to detail are keeping with the highest standards of the United States Navy and bring great credit to the force :chiefsay:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

boy are my arms tired posted:

cool thanks

i was thinking whidbey was far enough away from seattle that it'd suck but i guess i was wrong

anything but dam neck tho

Reasons to like Dam Neck: Everyone else either doesn't know what it is or doesn't want to go there. Also you can drink on the beach.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Boon posted:

I used to go to Dam Neck pretty often.

It's not like it's in the middle of nowhere - VA Beach is like 5-10 minutes away (which may actually be bad, Norfolk is the way better city IMO)

But it's far enough from anywhere and not physically attached to Oceana which means no one gives any attention to it. This makes it one of the premiere military installations IMHO. It's like Everett if Everett didn't have ships, had a bowling alley, and had waters you could actually swim in. Apparently the gate traffic sucks in the morning though.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

A White Guy posted:

Hey Navy thread. I'm reading through the Army thread and literally everyone there has hosed up (insert joints/limbs here). I preaume its from years of carrying too much poo poo too far and then doing poo poo PT l, but it raised the possibility in my mind that maybe joining the military is not the best gameplan for my long term health. My father was in the navy for 21, and he now has two fake knees and a fake hip, though my understanding is that the hosed up limbs are from playing navy football.

I've been thinking of commissioning after my time in the CCC is finished, provided that I don't get offered a sweet gig as a C1. If that doesn't happen, I need to find some way to pay for my masters and because I'm too old to piggyback on dads GI bill like I did during college, my own GI bill sounds like an excellent idea.

So, I guess my question is: How mqny of you are carrying around lifelong joint problems/mental problems from years of doing navy poo poo?

I was an enlisted Fire Contolman on an aircraft carrier for five years. Radars at the top, parts at the bottom, my office was at the waist catapult water breaks. My knees and my hearing are hosed (they work, they just act like they're 60; I am 34). Worst part about the Navy are the shipyards and the idiots that you are responsible for.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Jesus christ, wouldnt have thought Numa-Numa caused so many problems :stare:

Also, just got my wings yesterday! :toot: Heading down to Jax in a couple days then off to New Hanpshire to get my rear end kicked at SERE.

Well done!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CountFosco posted:

Thanks for the info, this was the sort of thing I was hoping to clear up.

What is a TOC?

Spitballing, I think it's Training Operation Command.

E: And Lingcod unless you're holding stuff back I believe you represent the absolute ceiling of the reserve experience

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 2, 2018

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wonder Free posted:

Does anyone wear any kind of Oxford shoe other than the bates ones with their uniform? Specifically aviator brown shoes since it’s a weird poo brown color.

About to have to wear khakis for the first time in a year and I can see the soles starting to crack. Prepping for a bates blowout, I’m thinking I’d like to spend some extra to get something that won’t disintegrate sitting in my closet. I’ve heard of some model of Florsheim or Allen Edmonds that look similar, but I’m hesitant to buy if there’s a chance it’ll look off.

Not brown, but I got a pair of Mephisto's from some shoe store in the Lynnwood Mall in Washington that have held up for 10 years. Super comfortable and very much not Bates. Wore them on watch for probably 3 years. They've got a brown version but I'm not familiar with the tint so I can't say if they are close or not:

https://www.mephisto.com/us/cirus-5128120.html

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

2 out of 3 people have their info stolen, to include the entire DoD. Thanks, Navy, I'll stay vigilant

But hey! That free three year identity protection!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

The people doing all the background logistics on your cargo, ordering your spare parts and your fuel, and sending out your orders certainly do.

It takes a fuckload of computers to run a container terminal properly, never mind getting the container from spoke port A to spoke port F.

Isn't this literally the plot to The Wire S2

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Null Integer posted:

gently caress it. I'm done with this. I'm getting out in July. What do I do now?

Work 40 hours a week and get a reasonable salary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Understand regulations to the letter, know their article numbers and be able to quote them like the Bible, and be well stocked for any underway or deployment. Do dry runs to determine the poo poo you need on cruise, find out if the ship has it, and if not, get to stocking.

First rule is salt, pepper, and hot sauce, branch out from there.

Learn to skate without loving the people that actually do work in your shop. Get in quick with the people that actually get work done and distance yourself from those that don't.

Learn the 3M and DC regs and procedures as quick as possible. Get qual'd as quick as possible. Depending on when you get to your shop this won't be possible. Be patient and focus on learning the manuals.