Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah, I woke up at 4:30 to get to work by 6:00 to transfer to gov vehicle at Bremerton to drive to Everett by 8:15.

The ferry food is very expensive. The food on base is.... bad. I would have preferred to stop at McDonalds and get cheap bite before starting labor.

Dude is claiming the ferry ride is our break so we don’t have to stop for lunch.

Thankfully im ignoring him on that count. He can file a report on it if he wants.

I miss the hell out of Memo's which is on the way from Mukilteo Ferry to NS Everett.

I also miss all of my Seattle eating spots :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Dorstein posted:

And then the parade is over and you hit the bar in your dress uniform and a nice lady takes you home?

I guess if you're married and hate being bought drinks.

Having a 96 hour liberty or maybe getting laid

You know you can get laid without giving up your 96 right

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wait how are you a deployed IT3 and up for orders

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I am currently mustering with the entire duty section at midnight because our duty section chief threw a temper tantrum.

I go on leave in 16 hours so gently caress it bring the gently caress gently caress games on bitch.

Remember the reason for the season

(To maintain a minimum level of readiness)

(Chief: To satisfy my Napoleonic complex)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Davethulhu posted:

My son has asked me to relay a few more questions:

As an IT, what would his work likely be in a Seabees unit (my guess was removing viruses from their PCs).

The other one is a little more complicated, I'll quote:

"For example, there are 2 billets open for the Mount Whitney. There are 5 selections I can pick total. So if I choose the Mount Whitney twice, I'm not sure if that will help or go against my odds in picking that ship."

Thanks again in advance.

This is completely hypothetical, but I'm a practicing civil engineer and a (former) enlisted sailor (but not a Seabee), but being an embedded IT in a Seabee unit seems like a lot of bitch work but chill as heck.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

I'm currently active duty and work for QA. Not only did I dodge prototype but I don't deal with nuc stuff. It is awesome. My life is great. My wife got an amazing job working for Vdot that she loves. There is plenty to do out here so I'm happy.

Good job ducking Prototype (not a nuke, but seems wise living vicariously through Ket). Tell your wife that I like VDOT standards but I hate GEOPAK and they should too.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ded posted:

Better link instead of a dumb double clickthrough twitter bullshit

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...nt-you-to-read/

TVS was the CIC a bad as that article describes? Cuz god damned I thought my boat sucked, but we followed proper procedures 100% of the time.

Holy poo poo

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

It's amazing how a little context colors an article like this. Thanks TVS.

Also, I think the weirdest thing for me is the apparent disregard for standing orders from the Bridge watch team? My brain breaks at that from standing watch in CDC (CVN). "Criteria X occured, call the CO" does not exactly leave a lot of wiggle room for interpretation. So I feel something is missing there from the article as well.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

(never mind)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

The ATT (pre-school for FC's, ET's) building in GL had a water pipe on the 2nd deck burst on my weekend duty day. Thousands of gallons on deck, but it really wasn't that bad since a building can't sink. Duty section and a bunch of students from the barracks had things looking alright after a few hours with shop vacs.

No, I did not shoot the pipe while disassembling a weapon.

Memmmmories

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Odd discussion time for my fellow sailors -

I crossed the line in 2011. We did the ceremony a few weeks later. On my second pass through the ship-long gauntlet (king neptune did not accept me on pass one) I got my head stuck in a cargo net while trying to climb over some fenders. This was amidships on a DDG. This is right after I ripped open my coveralls, underwear, and rear end while scooting on nonskid singing the spongebob song while getting soaked by the topside chemical counterwash sprinklers on the forecastle. The combination of my head getting stuck in a cargo net plus the bleeding rear end made me say "gently caress this, this is loving stupid" very loudly, getting up, and walking back inside the skin of the ship. No one tried to stop me, and all of the people around seemed to understand. I went to my stateroom, took a shower, and threw my ripped clothes and favorite pair of sneakers that were now ruined overboard.

I got a little bit of poo poo from the wardroom for not finishing, but not much. A few sailors talked some poo poo as well, but after a bit of shittalking back nothing ever really came of it and life went on. Fast forward to last year. My mom decided that she was going to do something special for me and bought me one of those bigass framed certificates for crossing the line. It's sat in my closet since, because I personally don't think I should hang it up. I see it as similar to wearing an award I did not earn. She thinks I'm putting way too much thought into it and no one else would ever know or care.

I haven't actually asked other sailors what they think. Am I being an idiot for actually caring?

You sit in the stateroom from the off, then I think you are justified in junking the thing.

You go through with the thing and have a lovely time? Post the the thing. Maybe one-line King Poseidon's sig in red with KP initials if you really want to be Navy about it.

e: I greatly enjoyed both Shellback days. Minus cleaning up berthing.

FrozenVent posted:

You crossed the loving line, get over it.

OTOH if you put a line crossing certificate on your wall you’re a doofus.

Wait what? How is this not a fun dumb thing to have hanging around in your office?

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 23, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Eggs, that's cute.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CMD598 posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say, the GW is definitely the more significant event. It's definitely the one they shoved down our throats at boot camp DC.

Forrestal is #2, it mostly gets brought up for aircraft firefighting.

This is not a judgement or anything, I just want to point out as a moment of appreciation that there were 0 fatalities in the GW fire, and by all accounts there should have been like 2 dozen. I saw the aftermath pics and was completely stunned noone died.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

*adds Angus King to follow list*

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I spent my entire time as a deck seaman in the yards. Absolutely miserable. At one point the average week was over 90 hours because of 3 section duty, and we only had some Sundays off.

I have no idea why, we weren’t doing anything besides waiting for contractors to finish. We got nothing of value done besides painting the side of the ship. I’m pretty sure most of it was just our DIVO and Chief trying to look good to our Triad who in turn were trying to kiss the commodores rear end.

Seconding. Avoid a shipyard experience like the plague. Longest and by far worst nine months of my life. Your chain of command has an unlimited amount of labor, and you don't have a union. Good luck reporting Fraud, Waste, and Abuse.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 27, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CMD598 posted:

I know an FC that went IA to Iraq to work with CRAM. Didn't hear much about CRAM from his stories though.

We had a person in Iraq every single year that I was on the ship. And if you got that sweet maintenance shore duty billet? Hope you packed your desert cammies.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Davethulhu posted:

I have one final question to pass on from my remotely deployed son. He just found out his next assignment will be to the USS Blue Ridge, and would like to know if anyone has any stories or impressions. His rate is IT, and he says he'll be going to sysadmin and *whatever the ship intranet is called* training first.

Thanks again

Dude is gonna work a bunch of hours but his shore leave is going to be plentiful and awesome as hell (as long as he doesn't suck at his job).

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wait what's the statute of limitations on being counselled

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The goat locker is the :chiefsay: treefort where e7 and above disappear forever once they make rank.

I looked it up the other day, but its been like 6 years since I concocted that emoji. Man, time flies. Probably my greatest work on these silly forums.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

little :chiefsay: has gotten a lot of use in 6 years too.

The quintessential "A picture is worth a thousand words".

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hmm if i came back in as a jag i’d start as an o-3 over 6 years in pay. I’d make significantly more in base pay than any job i’ve been able to find not even counting bah and such.

Med waivers are easy to get for prior service and I got my hip fixed so i’m actually fine now.

Downside is I couldn’t apply until next year at the earliest. Guess i have a year to see if i can make anything of being a lawyer.

Or you could go be the Deli manager at Publix.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

gently caress everything about that shipyard, except for the lunch place next to the carrier pier, which is consistently reliable and frequently a much needed pick-me-up.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

They charge like 3.75 for a monster.

gently caress.

That.

The bbq trailer hasn’t been seen for a week and the burrito trailer by the Pier side MWR gives you your food cold. The third floor DLA cafeteria runs out of salad toppings by 11am and the company providing the breakfast food uses wood shavings for potatoes and styrofoam for scrambled eggs. The All American grill thinks hockey pucks are acceptable replacements for burger patties.

Wendy’s and Subway are actually ok thank god. Or just leave base and eat at Susie’s.

It was 10 years ago (Jesus Christ) but this was 100% not my experience. Also there's a Wendys on Kitsap now?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah stuff has changed. The Wendy’s is right inside the main gate across from police station and is crushed at lunch time.

Sheesh, probably like the McDonalds in San Diego. Also I was talking about the carrier dry-dock pier inside PSNS, not the main carrier pier. I think it was called The Firehouse.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

A SOF Marine posted:

Seattle is its own entity altogether and the world is your oyster over there. The shipyard sucks, and if you limit yourself to NBK, you’re hosed. But there are some bright stars nearby that make it more bearable.

I was going to come in here and tell SPUR really loud, but then I saw they closed drat near three years ago (RIP). Metropolitan Grill was stuffy, but a drat good steak.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Definitely, I've been doing a ton of complaining, but I do understand that it is on me to get my own poo poo squared away. Got all the paperwork done, just have to turn it into PSD and coordinated with the admin to make sure me and a couple of other people bring all our required stuff. I do want to loop in with admin to help out with any new gains to the squadron.

Not trying to pile on, but we actively told you when you went to OCS that the single most important requirement for your service is that you should be on top of all of your paperwork and then to retain it on record for retrieval when required. We were serious about that.

e: What was not mentioned previously is that you should be proactive in investigating "What paperwork am I not being told about", which I guess is a thing we could all learn.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Agent Of Zion posted:

Offered 3MC billet as a first class on a tender out of Guam. Take it or leave it? Soliciting opinions.

Oh God why would you do that to yourself. 3M is a loving nightmare, let alone being held accountable for it as a system. YMMV.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Strait of Magellan. The wave period was a bit shorter than the carrier so we calmly drove through them. The cruiser next to us was eating poo poo diving face first into the waves and almost rolling over if they couldn't hold course so they had to divert to an inland waterway and meet us on the other side.

Then I got a Starbucks beverage from our fake barista. Carrier life

The cruise from California to Washington was my favorite part of every underway. Getting rocked to sleep like a baby. Legitimately looked forward to it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Godholio posted:

It's too bad airplanes are so slow and immobile. How could they possibly get from point A to point B?

It's about a 2 hr flight each way, one or two stops for gas unless they have a tanker, which is a distinct possibility.

Just echoing that this seems logical.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I kind of like the idea of them hastily painting a few of the FRS F/A-18Cs in Oceana non-gloss blue and stenciling in numbers on their tail with yellow Krylon so it runs.

"Look, everyone, it's the Blue Angels!" :smugdon:

I would say this seems logical, but I'm guessing they don't put emergency airframe painting on some E-3's they just yanked the weekend from.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Virginia Slams posted:

I have a question on waiving your last advancement exam when getting out. I'm trying waive it because there is zero reason i would ever stay in. But I feel like my chief is just making poo poo up at this point regarding waiving it. He said that people who are hitting HYT(I am not HYT) who waive their exam lose benefits or whatever and that he believes that applies to waiving your final exam if you are not HYT and just getting out.

To me it sounds like he either has no idea what he's talking about or he just wants me to take the exam for no reason. Anyone have insight, does this sound like bullshit?

It's bullshit, but take the exam, start saying your having your doubts about leaving, and string that out until the day you drop your terminal leave request

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

Finally got selected for :chiefsay:

I'll report back in 6 weeks.

Grats Dusty!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, I was on the Lincoln and then precommed the Bush, and both of those had a very distinct and same Aircraft Carrier smell. In my mind, the smell of depression.

Lol that'd be four of us then (Lincoln).

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Man if you can get fat on an aircraft carrier deployment, attaboy to you. I spent most of my out-to-sea time maximizing the number of actual good calories I can put in my body and minimizing my time spent in line. A lot of specific timing and a lot of hard boiled eggs. gently caress standing in line for 3 hours a day.

e: I exaggerated, its probably 30-45 minutes per so 1.5-2.25.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

:chiefsay: :chiefsay: :chiefsay:

Thanks everyone! I am alive and well, only minor cuts and bruises, and going to bed soon. Had a lot of "fun".

Box photo

:chiefsay: :chiefsay: :chiefsay:

My creation of this emoji has been redeemed. Congrats Dusty! You have been a fountain of information for this forum over the years. May your khakis be clean and forever pressed.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Captain Cordle, who was the Reactor Officer onboard the Bush when I was there for commissioning was just about the best officer I think I ever had in my chain of command. I have tons of respect for that guy. The Rx department goat locker certainly hated him though; he was "ruining the Navy" and "Not letting Chiefs run their divisions like they should be". We had this rotational staffing schedule for our commissioning, at his insistence, instead of being stuck in 3 or 4 day duty rotation. Of course being on shift work was kind of a drag, but for 18 months there were no duty days and at least one 4 day weekend a month. He was always looking out for us where he could. Unfortunately that just made the goat locker try twice as hard to gently caress us, but those are the breaks!

That sounds awesome and imagine takes a huge set of brass balls in that political climate.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

"research project"

It's the sequel to Down Periscope. It revolves around a disgraced SWO and a bunch of rag-tag sailors taking a defunct member of the Tin-Can Navy and pitting the plucky upstart against today's Nuclear and AEGIS fleet for a shot at his own command.

The excercise is cancelled after the ship's fourth ARI and a fraternization "situation".

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Virginia Slams posted:

Separating is an absolute nightmare. Does anyone have experience with conflicting DMO and command instructions regarding moving HHG.

DMO is telling me I need to have separation orders and 2 weeks notice to pick up my HHGs.

My command is telling me I cannot start my package to be sent to the detailers through admin and PSD for separation orders until 2 weeks prior to terminal leave.

Part of the package is a finished check out sheet, I live in the barracks and cant leave the barracks with stuff in my room still so I cannot get that completed even if everything else is done the day I hit 2 weeks left. Even if I could my command told me it will likely take a week to several weeks to receive actual separation orders once I complete everything my command wants. So it's likely I wont get them until I'm already out on terminal.

DMO said I will not be reimbursed if ship them myself without already written separation orders.

I spoke to marine corps DMO they said I could get line of accounting HHG orders to schedule the move because that's what they do in this situation. Then I spoke to navy DMO and they told me they no longer do that Navy side.

I'm moving from the west coast to east coast so approximately 2800 miles. I'll have no way to Coordinate or guarantee anything is done right after I leave. I've heard horror stories of getting reimbursed after being on terminal.

Does anyone know of any way to get this fixed. My chain is worthless and toothless. They will not fight this and have no solutions to offer other than we'll look into it.

The move of my stuff got paid for without me putting up cash for it. I went through NS Everett (WA) Personnel as my ship had already left on deployment by the time I decided to move back home (very close to the 6 month boundary after I sep'd). They dealt with the scheduling of all of that. I just had to provide Place From and Place To. Never got reimbursed for the road miles. It was like 1300 bucks in gas and lodging and almost less of a pain in the rear end to write it off then to deal with the command for it. I sent off my packet to the ship, they sent a packet back about 3 months later saying they weren't responsible for it. *shrugs* That's the last I cared about it. Obviously it would have been nice to get it all back, but I take solace in the fact that I recouped those funds via a BS and (soon to be) MS at the DoD's expense.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I imagine the beach at NASO Dam Neck in December would remind you a lot of Pac Beach if you miss your beach walking in a sweater.