Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

psydude posted:

Listen up everyone, there's been some changes to this week's training schedule. First and foremost, the brigade commander's intent for JAN17 is to get green on all of our compliance training. For this reason, we're going to bump all scheduled field problems and section training to the right. Keeping our Soldiers ready is our number one priority, and we can't focus on things like individual and collective tasks until we've got Soldiering basics down. SHARP, EO, and SERE101 are priorities. I know we only have four working laptops for the entire company, so as leaders I expect you to serve your country to your fullest by hotspotting your phone and running up charges on your data plan.

Second, PT. I don't believe this nonsense about the extended scale no longer existing. The company standard is 330, meaning that everyone gives 110%. Anything less has no place in the Army. Anyone who doesn't achieve a minimum of 300 will perform remedial PT. This includes profiles - just because a few malingerers are milking back and shoulder injuries in Afghanistan doesn't mean they can't be forced to stand around and watch everyone else do 30 minutes of PRT stretching.

All right, I want PLs and PSGs to be ready to back brief me, the battalion commander, and the S3 on how you plan on making all of this happen NLT COB today. We won't be letting everyone go for the day until these briefings are done. This will be followed immediately by the CUB, and then the company training meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjC70DRp7KE&t=290s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

Are there any decent off the market helmet straps? The standard issue ones are terrible and constantly get loose and are a pain in the rear end to adjust. My NODs keep pulling my helmet forward once the straps loosen up. An NCO from another unit was telling me about some kind of neck strap for helmets that pulls backwards so your NODs don't pull it forward but I can't remember what they were called or who made them.

It adds weight, but you can buy battery packs for your NODS that sit on the back of your helmet as a counterweight.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

night optical device? more like nodding off to the green glow

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What the gently caress kinda unit would send dudes out on patrol with CROWS and MRAPs with those little screens and thermals scopes and NODs but not issue laser aiming devices? That's like, supply completely forgetting to order MREs or not having any batteries for any of the radios.

Did they at least give you tracers to kentucky windage your shots in? :v: In our unit, not having NODs/lasers was like not being issued a weapon.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

That's not a half bad idea. Sometimes the little clippy thingie on the J-arm wears out and doesn't stay attached to the mount. Super fun when it bounces off every time you get jostled. It's entirely possible that your armorer may not have spares on hand, too!

When it comes to stuff like that sometimes it's good to get your own at the surplus store and never leave them around, same with magazines since those eventually end up getting loaned/stolen and never returned.

Also, the master play of buying a little hobbit sack of grenade pins to throw in the top flap of your ruck.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Airborne school doesn't have a run event besides the APFT, however you will run for PT in the mornings some days and it wouldn't be good for you if you fell out. PT is somewhat of an afterthought and you'll do basically whatever, one day we did combatives of all things. You'll probably have a long "fun run" with the company commander/1sg at some point which I suspect is what people call the long 5 miler, and you'll run to the training areas in boot, helmet, and canteen, but it's not to break you off, its literally just to traverse the grounds.

You need to keep in mind these are big Army TRADOC runs that have fat gently caress women running too, I'd worry about not getting hosed over on pushups or situps or making GBS threads your pants on your first jump. If you can, take the PT test during Basic if you're at Sand Hill and they still do that. I took it early and got to sleep in while a bunch of people got failed on pushups :smug:.

tldr yes, you will run, but only the two mile run is an "event" so to speak, and all the runs are at fat people pace because this isn't RASP or selection. RASP, on the other hand... well, the cadre decided they were gonna get an actual workout for themselves and gently caress you if you can't keep up which lead to a mile-long string of fallouts, but that's a longer story involving some dumbass private candidate asking the commander of the 75th Ranger Regiment to his face as a pep rally why they didn't do PT in the morning which he was.... unaware of to put lightly.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 3, 2017

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Belated NVG chat - my first time driving a HMMWV in Afghanistan / second time ever was in the dark with PVS-7s, in Kunar outside of Camp Blessing in case you've had a chance to visit. Place is super mountainous and the roads are, at best, only slightly more than the width of the vehicles, with a steep drop on one side and a cliff face on the other. I pretty much just scraped the side of the truck against the rocks the entire time as my team leader in the TC seat just resigned himself to saying "no, left, left, stop, left" since I couldn't see a loving thing and I was really worried about rolling down a mountain and killing us all.

I was in the turret from that day forward. :downs:

What's this for?

For when you do a live fire range with smokes/frags and some dingus doesn't keep the pin so you're stuck crawling in the tall grass looking for it, except now you have a bunch of pins and save the day for all your friends.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

unless you're a medic or machine gunner having a pistol especially one you bought yourself is just masturbatory, for the weight that's like another 2 magazine for your rifle. Also gently caress eotechs forever they're loving garbage and I'm glad their dumb product is now tainted by that temperature scandal.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I was infantry and the only people who even utter the phrase "pogue" in earnest are the same guys proud of lettering in football in high school because they know its the only thing they'll ever be proud of and that's the high-point of their life

Same guys who look at you quizzically when you say "I wanna leave the army and study in college with the GI bill :) " as if there's literally nothing better to do than being king of poo poo mountain. Also "its a warzone out there! there's no jobs and unemployment is rampant!" all the way in 2013.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

This might be some sort of bullshit non-thing but when we were waiting for orders at RASP hold I kid you not we were able to game poo poo to get what we wanted. On HRC's site, there is some tab where you can somehow see like pending orders or some poo poo or orders that haven't gone through yet. I saw on there it said Fort Richardson, and I really didn't want to be stationed at the rear end end of civilization no matter how pretty it is up there. There was some lady's number we all passed around who worked at HRC (no idea who found it, or how), I still have her in my contacts for whatever reason, but I no poo poo called her up and talked to her and got it switched to Fort Bragg. The next day, I looked at the pending tab, and it had switched to Fort Bragg.

Believe it or not, but it is true. It's some sort of PNN tall tale that I swear is a real thing that we did. SOMEWHERE there exists real people who can switch things like that around, it's not some sort of 100% pure needs of the army algorithm.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Anyone ever been through Norfolk? Seems like a cool place but it's Navy so maybe it doesn't count.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

manchego posted:

Norfolk is like every army town you've ever been though, except that jets fly over more frequently. Virginia Beach isn't all that great, either.

Idk, seems nice enough trolling around in google street view, what sucks about it? Some of my friends back in the Army went to VB on a single soldier retreat and had a blast so it can't be all that bad.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Okay so in 68W AIT the most people recycle, reclass, or chapter out during the test week, which is for us the coming week.

You'd think having some time to study would be nice and beneficial for everyone. Nope. Breakfast formation and breakfast took 3 hours. We got back into rooms at around 0950, and next formation is 1100 for lunch, but you have to be 15 minutes early. That'll also take roughly 2-3 hours, as will dinner.

A mile long march to DFAC, plus only 2 lines out of 8 open on the weekend, and every company hitting it at the same time means that despite only having 10 minutes to eat, you will stand outside the company for an hour, then march, then wait for an hour for three companies to go through, then go through and quickly eat, and then form outside, and march back.

It's kinda hilarious in how 6-8 hours of the day is spent in eating related activities. You would imagine letting people study on the last weekend would help. I'm all set, but more than 50 people have already dropped, and 92 failed the last test while managing to keep their GPA high enough.

Having notes in formation is "unprofessional."

while the military fits the definition of being professionals, the people in the military have no loving clue what that word means

real definition of professional:
-self regulation
-monopoly of service
-social contract with society
-prestige exchanged for services
-education and training that makes you uniquely qualified for the job

army definition of professionalism:
-matching clothes
-haircuts
-identical walkings

what would really be professional is if they afforded every opportunity to their troops to get the best possible scores and having the highest possible test average, but they're retarded so that won't happen. if you are reading, mr AIT instructor, yes, I am specifically saying you are retarded, for making there be 6 hours of food-related activities in the army medical school, you individually, and personally, are retarded

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 14, 2017

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

This one just blew my mind. What's the benefit of this? It's like someone is actively trying to make this fuckign DFAC be the center of AMEDD schools. No loving, this one single Air Force DFAC is where most of the Army AIT spends their time all day and all weekend. Not class or studying.

Do they get their contractor money based on attendance and lenght of stay or what?

suggest to the instructor that they be able to use all lines, but they must prone row through the line

in the grand scheme of things, this makes perfect sense

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Why the gently caress would you even bother going to a px/commissary even for tax-free booze/tobacco, is it really really worth the few extra dollars to deal with seeing camouflage again that isn't being worn by a disinterested human behind a plastic table with a "Join the X!" placard on the front?

That said, this fall I will be working on a military installation again :nsa:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What happens when you retire in the IRR? Pensions?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Re: Cellphones

One time our unit was going to do a mass tactical jump at an airshow halfway across the country except half the planes were broke because they were flown by some rinky-dink rear end ANG unit, including my plane. We had to turn around halfway there because one of the engines was spewing fuel vapor like crazy and the static from the opening parachutes could potentially blow the plane up. Once we landed, the klaxons all were blaring and we had to run off the ramp as a fire precaution as the big foam firefighter trucks came and started hosing the place down.

So there I was, standing like 100 ft from a C130 being sprayed with foam because it might explode when I get a call from the XO. His plane was also sent back with problems, and he was wondering if I had the key to the commo cage so he could turn in his radio.

Half the company is in the air, a fourth of the company is on the ground several states over, and another fourth is back at Bragg, I am standing there in this absurd scenario fully rigged up in a chute and gear staring at a plane being foamed down having to say "uhhhhhhhhh well sir I guess I will be back in twenty minutes or so" all because of cellphones. Gate guards could be getting into a shootout with a bunch of terrorists at the gate and their team leaders would call asking about POV inspection sheets and poo poo in this man's army.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

Well, I am an idiot so don't care too much about that. Just trying to get what needs done, done and not wasting the guys in my platoons time any more than necessary.

I have no desire to make a career of the Army so I don't have any concerns about getting amazing OER bullet points or anything like that.

Please for your troopers' sake keep in mind there are tons and tons of fuckfuck poo poo that happens under your radar in your platoon that you won't be aware of unless you specifically ask about what sort of fuckfuck goes on. Little stuff that over time snowballs into making a lovely work environment, and it's stuff that's hard to quantify. Little things like constantly losing out on 30 minutes of lunch time (or any sort of personal time) for stupid bullshit, asinine decisions on how to do basic day to day stuff, etc

Like, it's hard to explain, but there were several times we'd tell our PL what sort of retarded bullshit we had to do that day and he was like "you guys need to tell me when this stuff happens so it won't happen again." As much as I think it's bullshit, low-level unit stuff in the Army could benefit from a Lean/Six Sigma management BS thing called Kaizen. Basically, the platoon would get together and think about how you can streamline/reduce waste in the operation of your day to day operations to make things easier and faster. Your men will appreciate it if you show interest in making their lives easier.

Come to think of it, Lean Manufacturing is extremely Army in that it's mega buzzword bullshit, so the two should go together handily.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 21, 2017

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mike-o posted:

My eyes just glazed over when you said lean six sigma.

You don't know the sublime joy of witnessing an entire class nearly mutiny against a professor teaching it for the first time because everyone sees through the BS and the professor can't explain why or how it's useful :allears:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Zeris posted:

Isn't that just for stupid people fighting to stay relevant in white collar middle management positions?

Picture the two consultants from Office Space except the tell you that they raised the ARSFTWAF by 4% and that will be $20,000, please

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I have never, not even once, stepped foot in the vet lounge. I don't even actually know where it is.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i think sometimes we should pretend to me more friendly to people wanting to join and cheer them on all through the process and just laugh at them past the point of no return for our own amusement

friend that's liable to be a criminal offense

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

At a purely human level, what would make someone do that?

Like, does that PSG just not have any shame at all?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If it's really such a huge deal that a guy can't get three days off (which probably overlap with a weekend anyway) something in that unit is wrong. What a loving absurd situation, even if it was a childhood best friend dying you should be able to go to them if the family deemed it important enough to send a red cross message.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Stanford Prison Army Experiment.

More specifically, leaders are actively encouraged to separate themselves on an interpersonal level to the extent that they probably no longer have empathy.

This is why when someone talks about good NCOs in the Army, it typically refers to a person that maintained some measure of empathy with his subordinates and acted upon it fairly. This is a hard thing to teach, and harder to enact, so it is not something they can easily rate.

I always always always felt the best leaders I had were the ones I didn't want to upset not because I didn't want to get in trouble but because I didn't want to let them down for being so good to us.

Seems like this is a common sentiment shared over many years, yet somehow the Army doesn't embrace it as a form of leadership. According to the Army, "taking care of your guys" means knowing the number to suicide hotlines and making sure everyone's vehicles get inspected every weekend, and not cutting dudes who had weekend CQ loose at lunch or treating people as professional peers and not warm bodies.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mike-o posted:

You mentioning friends dying made me remember that same chain of command wouldn't let me have the day off to go to the funeral of a mentor of mine when I was in sea scouts as a kid. Dude was a ww2 navy vet who saw Guadalcanal, the Leyte Gulf, and all sorts of poo poo. CO wouldn't let me have one loving day off of work to go to his funeral a half hour drive away. I loving sat around in our training bay doing nothing that whole day. Gooddddddd I loving hate the army. gently caress everyone in it. Get hosed, CPT shithead.

it might be for the best for us all to just leave this forum and never come back

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If we ever fought a war that had VX used in large amounts or any other sort of nerve agent it would be a loving shitshow, soldiers are grade-a morons and can't tie their shoes half the time let alone ensure their MOPP gear was 100% sealed/not think "it'll be okay if I unzip and jerk off but only for a little bit"

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Yeah mil poo poo has got me out of a ticket as well. Some of you guys are way too melodramatic, the military was loving gay and sucked rear end but I am still proud of what I did and it's okay to be proud and still know just how lovely it is. Plus civilians are stupid and don't know either way anyway.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

the maroon beret is cool and looks way sharper than some baggy-rear end nerd patrol cap, it's me im the guy who simultaneously is envious that europeans have better looking uniforms but thinks the more US soldiers look like Jiffy Lube attendants the better

*prone rows out of thread door at lightning pace*

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

We're reaching the point where father and son will have stayed at the same FOB in the same war

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Maybe more specifically I meant multiple generations, as in a joe puts in his 4 years and ETS, has a child, and that child deploys to the same FOB dad did in the same war he fought in.

I didn't mean like old farts still in the Army with grown adult children who are also in the Army. If we're still in Afghanistan in 2019/2020, it'll start happening.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Dudes who wear that poo poo are the same as dudes who tell you stories about how they'd be in the NFL if only coach would have put them in in the 4th quarter in the championship game.

You got your whole life ahead of you to do something greater and make yourself better, don't kick your feet up and assume being an E4 Infantryman is the climax of your life. That's how I see it anyways, besides, if you DID want to wear motarded clothes to somehow signal how cool you are to other people (lol), don't you think it's a little more interesting to never ever ever bring the military up and just kinda surprise people who get to know you over a while?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

There's a reason scouts only use 240's but I don't remember what that reason is.....

I think it's because since scouts are usually outnumbered and outgunned having more 240's might make the enemy think they're engaging a larger unit than they really are.

Something like that anyway. If we really wanted to we could have 6 240's throughout a 36 man platoon. Though we're always short personnel so it's more like low to mid 20's.

I was in an airborne dismounted RSTA unit and we only ever used 249s in our teams because that poo poo's too heavy to lug that much distance and you don't have enough guys to employ them properly/carry enough ammo because even the AR needs to carry team equipment.

I've heard the same justification for why SEALS still use M60 variants though.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Crossfit in the Army was a loving virus and I hope it isn't as bad anymore. Talk about people wanting to do things they didn't have the resources for. Protip idiot O's: sandbags tow bars and various heavy objects you have lying around in a muddy PT field isn't going to be anywhere near as cool as you think it will be while you watch the Crossfit Games at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Kaliber posted:

It's not "AS" bad anymore. Each company has it's own equipment now. But it's only a squad's worth of equipment. We do have a kick rear end million dollar gym..... But 1SG banned squad level PT due to not enough heart or something. I heard that and the gym is meant for MRW purposes, not for morning PT.

That's how it was at Bragg and honestly even though I'd much prefer to go to the gym for morning PT it's easy to see why its banned. There simply isn't enough square feet of gym space to have thousands of swinging dicks coming in to do dumbbell curls and ABZ. That, and the Brigade Commander/CSM would be upset that their morning gym PT with all their senior leadership buddies is being disrupted, of course.

Seconding pool PT, though, especially when the sun comes up after PT is over so you get to shiver your balls off and get ripped as hell.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

rifles posted:

I just came back from visiting family south of Raleigh this weekend and I'd move out there in a heartbeat, place owns.

The research triangle is by far the best place I have ever been to. It's a nice place to live and only about an hour and a half from either the mountains or beach.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Tell her to get as much workable information as possible and then go full analyst on Facebook/social media to find out who they really are. Soldiers are stupid and love telling the world they're soldiers on social media.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Why do units rotate in and out of Korea instead of stationing a unit permanently there like they do in Germany or Italy? Wouldn't it be better to have dudes who have been there for many years who are used to the climate, terrain, and culture in the event war broke out vs some dudes who got there four months ago?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I accidentally stayed at work a little late today because I was enjoying what I was doing and I get paid a little more now for staying later, gently caress you if you let the army decide when you are allowed to go home

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I bought a bottle of Military Special on the day I left for terminal leave so I can always have a special bottle of special special for special occasions.