Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Playing Tiberium Sun at 5am over dial up before school is a pure nostalgia memory for me.

Tiberium Sun holds so many dear memories for me as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

Got back into HBS Battletech. Kamea Arano is a vengeful god that will find those who wronged her, SLDF mechs are absolute monsters, quoting Vasudus that the intro is now my gold standard for game intros.

10/10, would happily use 100-ton gigantic stompy robits to help idiots to Find Out after they hosed Around.

Continues to be my favorite Battletech based game thusfar. MW5 just didn't compare.

Kamea take no poo poo, team her up with Glitch and let the world burn.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just did the mission where she trades in her Kintaro for an Atlas II, and even the in-game enemies were screaming “here they com-OH poo poo THEY HAVE STAR LEAGUE MECHS, WE NEED REINFORCEMENTS YESTERDAY!! :cry:

Those reinforcements arrived too late, and weren’t strong enough to take repeated AC20 shots to the torso either. Her lancemate with a Gauss rifle made a strong showing too, just rows of cored out mechs on either side as they both strolled to the evac point. The Griffin in their lance didn’t make it, but a medium mech doesn’t stand a chance in a place where assault mechs are losing armor by the ton.

That mission was fun, and yeah not only to Kamea gut a couple mechs, I had her punch the lights out a couple of them as well. Watching light mechs take a single punch and die in one round is satisfying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ded posted:

bliz wants $150 NZ bucks ($92 USD) plus all the microtransactions

gently caress diablo 4 and gently caress blizzard

Yeah Blizzard has gone all in on the microtransaction poo poo, even with good reviews I'm not gonna touch Diablo 4.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

It's microtransactions purely for cosmetic bullshit, chill. Microtx poo poo is natural for live service games nowadays, and after putting almost 24h in over the last 2 days I haven't run into a single "insert CC# here to make game easier" mechanic.

Blizzard burned the bridge long ago for me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Another Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty trailer dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reABCMNGM3w

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I really enjoyed CP2077, for what its worth

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

not caring here posted:

HEY CHOOMS WHATUP

Jack Nicholson?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Also what's up with the Death Stranding baby? Was there a crossover or something I missed?

Its just an easter egg in CP2077

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Anyone have anything to say about Starfield?

Its a fun enough game, its a little bland, but overall the gameplay is nice and it hasn't been as buggy as I thought a Bethesda game should be.

And yeah, its basically Fallout 4 in Space without the Apocalypse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
CP2077 is still one of my faves. Keanu Reeves helped a lot in making that game good

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Cyberpunk 2.0 update is pretty incredible. They added in so many of the open world details and mechanics that people were expecting. Imagine if they'd been able to pull this off at release.

I still enjoyed CP2077 both at release and now. It was a good game, with a good story, and an interesting world.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Glad Cyberpunk turned it around, still odd they allowed a PS4 release when it obviously couldn’t handle it, wonder if a bean counter saw the PS4 install base & forced them to do that. Kinda like how with the Switch they keep putting out Hitman 3 or Mortal Kombat 1.

Yeah that was a major bungle and they should've done more testing before promising any system compatibility other than PC and modern consoles generations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Carteret posted:

I'm bee-lining Body and Reflex on this new playthrough so I'm just an undying shotgun and heavy weapon wielding maniac.

Do it for Her

Vengeance for Rebecca and David.

Also - Go pick up Rebecca's shotgun in the Park. https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-rebecca-shotgun-guts/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

The general collapse of crypto (rust in piss) has normalized GPU prices.

For now. The rise of AI/LLM is starting to do the same that Crypto was doing. Not to the same degree but Nvidia is dedicating a lot of its chip manufacturing slots to workstation and server GPUs because of it.

Finished Starfield - overall the gameplay is great, the main story is....meh. But the universe, ship building, and fighting was fun. Exploring was tons of fun. If you were the sort that got Skyrim and just wandered the world doing sidequests, its up your alley.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I doubt AI/LLMs will affect it. Most high end poo poo is done on TPUs not GPUs. You can rent TPUs for model training for pennies on the dollar from AWS/Azure/GCP. Much more efficient and cost effective.

Yeah, but not the entire story. What do you think is powering those TPUs. Nvidia silicon. There's a reason a large amount of servers come with Nvidia GPUs/TPUs as an option now, but GPUs are still more available and cheaper, companies are buying them up like hotcakes.

Trust me dude. Nvidia GPUs are hot in servers right now.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-ai-gpus-shortage-price-hikes/

quote:

You might be wondering how that will be a problem for consumers. After all, Nvidia’s AI graphics cards are very different from its gaming GPUs, and it’s not like AI companies are going to be snapping up shedloads of the RTX 4090. Surely that means ChatGPT won’t cause another shortage, right?

Well, AI is booming right now, and it is clearly a priority area for Nvidia. The risk is not that companies will buy up every single gaming GPU, but that Nvidia decides to allocate more resources towards high-end business GPUs — the type that shine when it comes to AI workloads – at the expense of consumer graphics cards.

If that comes to pass, it might become much harder to get your hands on a GPU. That doesn’t appear to be happening just yet, but it may not be something that can be entirely ruled out in the future.

While the cryptocurrency boom that fueled the last GPU shortage appears to be over (at least for now), the AI revolution is rearing its head. In fact, many former crypto miners are apparently pivoting to AI in a bid to remain profitable.

It’s a warning sign of what might lie ahead for anyone desperate to get a new graphics card. While a new GPU shortage is by no means guaranteed, the needs of AI businesses could heap more pressure on the graphics card supply chain.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 1, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

They should invest in better cooling, then.

Joking aside, They are. There's a lot of new setups that offer liquid cooling even built in, seen a couple 2U and up setups doing so.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 1, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Starfield review: this game is a mile wide but an inch deep

Bethesda customer support: :actually:

https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesdas-s...ade-to-log-off/

Yeah, Bethesda just needs to take the L and learn from this - I did enjoy the game, but the story was shallow as gently caress and NG+ just sucks what life is left out of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

They should have held off release for a while to give people time to forget bg3 and also polish it up

I don't think it needed polish - it needed a re-write. The story wasn't very convincing, the enemies not very threatening or their cause very swaying. Of all the Bethesda stories, this one had the weakest plot and weakest motivations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
It was always assumed to be a scam, so what changed - did it get extra scammy?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

it's a shame paradox ran HBS into the ground, though i think the battletech lead designer left before that and idk what she's doing professionally nowadays

Yeah, so much good content and gameplay and they just kinda....let it die.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So my friend has a Steam Deck and it got me to pick up a cheap Asus ROG Ally steamdeck clone.

I like it. Weird how portable PC gaming has become.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

I want a Total War but Battletech.

Yesssssss...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eason the Fifth posted:

Kings Quest II and III were my first real PC games and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Sierra. I probably mentioned it before, but Roberta Williams deserves being up there with Kojima or Carmack as a major name and influence on the entire goddamn medium.

Same. Have good memories of Kings Quest.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
My main PC games of choice at the time was Aces Over Europe/Pacific, MechWarrior 2 and MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries, and Steel Panthers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
KSP2 is dead:

https://www.eurogamer.net/kerbal-space-program-2-studio-reportedly-shut-down-by-take-two

quote:

UPDATE 11.30pm: Following reports Kerbal Space Program 2 studio Intercept Games has been shut down as part of previously announced mass layoffs by parent company Take-Two, a fresh report has claimed renowned UK developer Roll7 - known for the acclaimed likes of OlliOlli World and Rollerdrome - has been closed down too.

As reported by Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, based on a note to Take-Two staff reviewed by the publication, Roll7 is the second of two subsidiaries closing as part of Take-Two's layoffs - the first being Intercept Games. Severance agreements will reportedly be offered to Roll7 employees.

Roll7 was purchased by Private Division, Take-Two's indie publishing label, in 2021. The studio released two well-received titles - OlliOlli World and Rollerdrome - the following year.