Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Is This Is Us worth watching/picking up first season of? Saw it was nominated for a bunch of Emmys and poo poo but didn't notice a thread for it.

It is a show aimed squarely at the Maxxinista inspirational quote wall sticker demographic. Go hog wild if you're into ten different characters having their own Lifetime original movie storylines simultaneously per episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zoux posted:

This is another one of those trolls designed to trick me into watching an anime so all my Netflix recommendations become anime and I have to go around individually voting down anime series I've never watched to get rid of them, isn't it

Make an additional profile to watch shameful shows, problem solved

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The Good Wife is the best procedural and it's basically The Wire for rich white lawyers

Sooooo the opposite of the Wire then?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

When I saw the signs at the stages, I thought for certain Sea Oak was a code name

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

GOON JUSTICE: The Series is dead. We'll have to wait a little longer for network television to deliver harsh judgements on Pizzagate and Szechuan Sauce.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/wisdom-of-the-crowd-season-1-cbs-1202623826/

lol that series had more producers than episodes

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

Even Sneaky Pete just kind of stopped being talked about.

Because SA is the only place where people spend the offseason talking about a show ad nauseum and thirty new shows debut every month.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Is Parks & Rec the show that aged the worst in the shortest amount of time with all the Hillary Clinton idolatry and the having a functional government in 2017

Also Chris Pratt and Aubrey Plaza sure get annoying and twee in a big loving hurry

Parks and rec’s worst sin was portraying gop monsters like Gingrich and McCain as “just regular guys but with different ideas about politics”

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

It works surprisingly well for a television series, albeit an hour-long one.

I was impressed with the flow of the action sequences. You never got 'lost' in regards to where the characters were or where the danger was coming from, and they have an excellent movement from one scene to the other. They're also visually engaging, with bullets knocking out glass or sending pieces of wall flying helping bring some tension to that hospital break scene.

Also, Chris Meloni and Patton Oswalt nail it, and I don't know who played the creepy doctor dude, but he legit freaked me out.

It's all really well done, and I'll be here for the episode next week.

The stunt coordinator was the guy who did John Wick and the doctor is Patrick Fischler and his character gets wayyyyyyy creepier throughout the season

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

Does anyone know how long Happy's season is supposed to be? The comic it's based off of is only four issues long and it sounds like they'd run out of material to adapt pretty quickly.

Eight episodes and the first covers all of issue one plus a little of two. It’s a fairly loose adaptation

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Re Happy: No idea, just relaying what my friend told me about the filming

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

April and Andy followed the tried and true Mike Schur character/series arc:

1. Schur develops a new show with a really similar style/premise as his last show, characters and relationships are not fleshed out
2. Show hits a groove, characters and relationships develop in new and interesting ways
3. Schur gets a new show and the characters spin their wheels because he’s distracted by the shiny new show
4. Schur sees people reacting negatively to the wheel spinning and introduces some zany new characters and zanier guest characters
5. Schur is almost completely gone, rest of writing staff Flanderizes the characters
6. Ratings go down, cast members leave, show does something really weird for a few episodes and is cancelled

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Is it the episode where he shows up naked at Ann's house? He showed a lot more pee his dick if that's the case

You know that’s fake right? Actors wear flesh-colored modesty garments and they blur them out in post

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah I was surprised by how good the pilot for Happy! is. Unhinged Hitman Stabler is awesome.

It’s gets better, weirder, and most importantly, crazier

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I finally watched the trailer of Happy...

dafuq?

Good news, you can watch the whole dang first episode rn

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

This season of Search Party is pure millennial Fargo and is amazing.

Yes, thank you! I needed a good one line pitch for this show

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Looking at the back half of his top 10, two are films where he had supporting roles (Get Smart and The Other Guys.)

He was in the other guys for maybe four scenes too

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I recall that the comedic timing of the actors does a lot to elevate the run of the mill writing.

I just saw an episode recently and that is exactly the case.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Just like any other network, I’m fine with Netflix churning some lowest-denominator schlock if it keeps producing many truly unique shows. Netflix didn’t even make its own shows five years ago and you’re acting like they’re CBS 2.0 over here

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Like yeah, I’m sure CBS is just kicking themselves about passing on pitches for shows about a women’s prison or the life of a bipolar woman comedian. Les Moonves just flipping tables in his office because he didn’t get the rights for the queer psychics show

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

I’ll tell you that I just watched USS Callister and it’s pretty drat good. Ending was a little easy, but other than that, good poo poo.

It balances out the holiday special that had a similar plot device sooo :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BM: I think it was probably timed out so he was stuck in the game or some void space over the Christmas holiday (which they specifically note is two weeks or smth) and he dies due to lack of food and water because he can’t jack out.

• Locked thread