Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LadyPictureShow posted:

Finally caught the fifth Hap and Leonard episode. While the investigation part was funny, the reveal of the murderer was just super :smith:. Jesus, I teared up over TJ. 'Where'd his face go?'

I said it before, lots of tv doesn't surprise me or affect me emotionally but at least once an episode I am left stunned or moved and it sucks it's on Sundance cause I feel like it's the greatest show nobody's watching.

Hap and Leonard is one of the best shows on TV, and shame on people for not watching.

"Was Randolph Scott gay?"
"Is that why you called me to come over?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

High five, only other Hap and Leonard watcher in existence! Let's be friends.

While the finale was a little more sedate,I like that it finally answered the overarching mystery that kicked off the season. And it's cool that both seasons have ended with a lingering shot hinting at the plot/mystery/setting for the following season (please tell me this is getting a season 3).

And if you like this series, check out Cold In July on Netflix; it's a movie based on another Landsdale work directed by Mickle and Damici.

What's interesting is Lansdale like to weave supporting characters in and out of his books, so one small character from one book may pop up as a supporting character in another book. The reason I mention this, is because the Don Johnson character in Cold in July turns up later in several Hap and Leonard novels.

Also finished Trial and Error, great little show, very reminiscent of Parks and Rec. Hope it gets a season 2, but if not, they wrapped it up beautifully.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 23, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Best product placement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9hepxidZyo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I think they said somewhere that half the season is going to focus on them as younger characters, as a way of having all the characters together, and not worry about getting all the cast together.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yay! Trial & Error was renewed for a second season.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Preacher Season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkuZjswJnV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziF6gvIGC3g

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

I saw an ad on the subway today for The Jim Jeffries Show. Judging by the picture on the ad (Jim holding a newspaper that's on fire), it looks like yet another "comedian talks about current events" show that's so prevalent on Comedy Central and other channels. Someday, there will be a market correction on those kinds of shows, because they're arguably more concerned with making a point and being right than being funny. But as it stands, CC is stuck in a rut and trying to replicate the success of Inside Amy Schumer and Broad City without knowing why audiences love those shows. It's similar to how over ten years ago, they were fixated with "edgy" comedy shows by cranking out half-assed attempts at Chappelle's Show.

It's a shame, because I like Jim Jeffries's standup, and I also thought that Legit was a great show. Too bad that the second season was on FXX and nobody watched it, it added a lot of heart to the central concept.

Funny thing, Inside Amy Shumer definitely started out as a half assed Chappelle show knock off.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

I wonder has there ever been a "central mystery" show whose ending/reveal actually lived up to the hype? I feel like there must have been some, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Obviously a lot of shows had great endings such as the aforementioned Breaking Bad and Justified, but they weren't really "central mystery" shows.

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. And they did it in one season, too!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I just skip past scenes without Amy Acker, the dog, or Sarah Shahi.

I skipped past any scenes with Amy Acker. She was just awful.

muscles like this! posted:

Fox has decided that they don't want to wait until Corey Hawkins is done doing whatever and has canceled 24: Legacy. Although they have said they're interested in continuing to do 24, just now as an anthology.

I honestly felt that's what they should have done with 24 in the first place. Get a name actor to be the lead each season.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Any Hap and Leonard fans in here?

I just finished binging S2 and it was... odd. I think part of the problem was I binge rewatched S1 before it and there's a dramatic tone shift between the seasons. S1 has a lot of violence and some tragedy but at its core its a wild adventure story of two pretty normal guys getting sucked into a get rich quick scheme and poo poo escalating. S2 is two really broken guys fighting against a corrupt system to try and get justice for unspeakable tragedies. She got really, really dark.

On its own I think I probably would have really enjoyed it. And in retrospect I think that's how it should be approached and not the 2 season binge I did. I just had no idea the two seasons/novels would be so dramatically different and was really put off my footing by how super, super hosed up and tragic poo poo was.

That's basically just Hap and Leonard's lot in life, two normal guys getting sucked into something, and the poo poo just escalating.

Season 3, based on "The Two-Bear Mambo", isn't much a joy ride either. But the show, like the books, have the strength in the core with the love between Hap and Leonard. Plus nothing's better than how they treat one another.

One of the later books has Hap explaining to someone about Leonard's fondness of Dr Pepper, vanilla cookies, and ugly hats. The Dr Pepper and cookies come from when he was child, and his family couldn't even afford to spend money on things like soda and cookies, but his uncle Chester always shared his with Leonard, so his obsession with them as an adult is just his way of remembering a happy time when he was a child.

And the ugly hats? "Oh, that's just because he's an rear end in a top hat," said Hap.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Snak posted:

Is this one of those thing like where people watched Weeds because they were attracted to Mary Louise Parker?

Amy Ackers's character has been one of the worst characters on the show so far. I find Reese to be horribly bland and uninteresting, but he doesn't actively annoy me.

Acker's performance is just so obnoxious.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

swickles posted:

Watching Oh Hello and I am so glad they filmed this.

It was awesome, and reminded me a lot of the Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson's Bottom Live shows.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Robert Llewellyn as Kryten in Red Dwarf too. At least he got to keep the superior suit for the BBC episodes that followed!

They were going to make a third pilot, and were trying to convince to Chris Barrie to sign on as Rimmer, before finally giving up. But seriously, if you're going to try to sign fifty percent of the original cast, why not just co produce the original and air the eps that way?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Curious to see if they end up doing a story line where Black Bolt loses his powers, so allowing the actor to speak.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The "Oh, Hello" reminded my a lot of the "Bottom Live" shows Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson did in the late 90s/early 00s. Minus all the violence.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard there's an Ian McKellen interview from years and years ago (I haven't read it - I've only read about it - so take with a grain of salt because it may not even exist) where he reminisced about how he, Maggie Smith and Hopkins all joined Sir Laurence Olivier's Shakespearean company around the same time, and Hopkins was always a guy who didn't care much for the purity of the stage or the dignity of treading the boards or whatever it is Serious Actors go on about, and what he really wanted to do was go to America and make big stupid movies and get paid lots of money for it.

Patrick Stewart told a story about how, after doing a season or two of ST:TNG, he was preparing himself for all the ridicule he was going to get from his contemporaries when returned home for doing such a silly, sci-fi show. Instead, he found himself shocked when all of them asked him for help in getting an agent in the US.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Pretty excited for this. Loved Psych and still quote from it often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhw3yBdnsUA

Greatest trailer ever!

re: @midnight. I thought it would've been interesting to have the winner be the host of the following episode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

She's got an Audrey Hepburn thing going on in the Marvel movies and it makes every scene she's in really distracting since she's supposed to basically be an extra.

What make her distracting in the Marvel films is that she's a really bad actress.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Just do this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwar_series

I want to see Hitler and Stalin gently caress up some aliens.

I was disappointed that those books. The historical figures are barely in it. If you show me a cover of Einstein in a loving fighter jet, then your book better have Einstein in a loving fighter jet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There's a Scientology flick on Netflix called "My Scientology Movie" that's all kinds of hosed up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

esperterra posted:

Lena Headey is my fave Sarah Connor.

She's leagues better than Linda Hamilton. They're not even comparable.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

For years, I thought the second season of Frisky Dingo was bad and wrote it off because the first handful of episodes were pretty dry and I'd somehow seen them all several times, but you get through 5-6 episodes and it's good stuff again. They're running a marathon from about that point on on [as]'s animation marathon right now.

But god drat, Adam Reed and the running gags, man. Now I know why Archer has so many.

I didn't become a fan of Frisky Dingo until season 2. Specifically the duck hunting episode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Zerilan posted:

I kind of want to see this exact thing now but I'm not sure it could be more insane than the Riverdale we're already getting.

They could adapt the Archie vs Predator comic

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

less laughter posted:

it gets worse

It gets worser:

He met her when she was twelve.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

I've been way behind on this thread for ages but just chiming in to say that the current seasons of Nathan For You, Vice Principals, Broad City, Mr. Robot and The Good Place are all loving killing it.

This is one of the strongest years of TV in a long time.

And Teachers comes back next week.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Teachers picks back up tonight. Easily one of the funniest shows on TV.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

precision posted:

I had never heard of this show until about a week ago, and was curious whether it was "actually good" or just "we were able to make a funny trailer" good.

It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn_vmp8dShA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

less laughter posted:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is reaching its 100th episode next month... Pretty crazy to realize they're already that far in!

They've been celebrating their 99th episode over social media. Nine-Nine!

Snak posted:

That's great.

I am sorely disappointed that you, of all people, with that avatar, didn't go for :perfect:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

what the poo poo is this?

The Empire's Not-Siths, The Inquisitors, have dual bladed lightsabers. Cool right? Well, Disney said "What if they spun?" And after that, they said "What if they could fly with them?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Woah I’d never looked at his IMDB page, he’s been on the writing staff for three of my favorite TV shows (Justice League, Fringe, and Boston Legal), not to mention his role in creating/producing Arrow and The Flash.

And John Barrowman has a habit of doing inappropriate things just because he thinks they're cheeky

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

"a sizable profit for me and the actors and some of the crew"

Why not all of the crew? Why only some? Seems like an odd statement to make

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Who the gently caress is John Glover.

This is a wrong take to have

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

So Amazon spend $250 million to acquire the rights to make the show, and that's before production has even started. A show like this will probably be at least $100 mill per season right? These costs are staggering.

It'll focus on the human and elf races, that way they don't have to spend money on SFX for hobbits or dwarves

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

raditts posted:

I saw someone a few months ago wearing a shirt with a Punisher skull overlaid with one of those "blue lives matter" flags
I wasn't sure whether he didn't understand the point of the Punisher at all, or if he understood it perfectly well

A couple of months back there was a story about police officers who got into trouble for putting the Punisher logo onto their patrol cars.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuqbIfOMxgc
This scene still fuckin rules but I can't remember anything from the rest of the movie v:shobon:v

This part of the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuqbIfOMxgc&t=3m17s

has the best story.

The director told Kevin Nash (The Russian) to follow Thomas Jane through the hole. The hole wasn't big enough, so Nash just torn down the wall in that shot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

Isn't it just House again?

House was popular as gently caress.

More like Doogie Howser I think

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

esperterra posted:

I hope they managed to work out the cast schedules to shoot it all together. I liked the last season, but the big group scenes being stitched together despite not being filmed with everyone was super obvious.

I heard S5 is going to focus on the characters when they were younger, so expect a lot of flashbacks.

Vegetable posted:

No George Bluth, wonder what they're doing with Jeffrey Tambour.

Don't worry, they replaced George with Oscar

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

You had me at Michelle Dockery

Haven't watched it, but I have seen complaints that for a show that promoted itself a "women in the west", their story is the b or c plot of the show, and it's mainly about the men

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/io9/status/936745131805433856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Another Period, season 3 trailer:

https://www.avclub.com/another-peri...SocialMarketing

• Locked thread