Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What is The Magicians about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coffeehitler posted:

Basically, a grown-up Harry Potter story. All of the magical stories involving Earth are real, and the story's other places are alternate planes/universes. The big bad for the first season is on a Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe analogue, so we see a bit of at least 2 other planes (a hub world is the other).

Is it a kind of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen / Anno Dracula / Once Upon a Time thing where it uses fictional characters, or is it original characters influenced by or based on fictional characters?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

whowhatwhere posted:

Remind me how much of Harry Potter actually involved schoolwork?

Harry and friends do a fair bit of schoolwork but usually only when it's relevant to the plot somehow.

This year is the 20th anniversary of the first Harry Potter book. I've been planning on reading them again at some point this year (I only read them as they were coming out, so it's a full 20 years since I read the Philosopher's Stone) although I reckon they probably won't hold up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spergatory posted:

It's good fun up until season 4, then it tanks hard and never recovers. If you're enjoying it, watch through season 3b (yeah, they do split-seasons sometimes, I think it's a tax thing).

Doesn't that show also have a hard time keeping hold of its actors because MTV doesn't pay too well?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spergatory posted:

The first season of PoI is a bit too focused on Reese and Finch, to it's detriment. Jim Caveziel, bless his ridiculously tall heart, is not the best actor or the most charismatic screen presence.

Well, his most famous role is just him getting tortured to death for an hour and a half. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Wait, what? Really?

I think there's one where Hasselhoff and co are up against a Viking warrior who's been frozen in ice until he washed up in Baywatch Town and thawed out, but that might just have been an episode of the main show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's "SuperWhoLock" that's popular on Tumblr. Supernatural, Doctor Who and Sherlock.

All in the cheekbones, or so I'm told.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Snoopy posted:

The worst thing is that Green Day held on long enough to become SERIOUS contenders for the Rock n Roll HOF.
loving Green Day!

Sure, they let anyone into that thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Will have to try Unfortunate Events. I liked the books a lot when I was younger though I don't remember finishing the series. I even remember going to see the movie in the cinema.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

Then why isn't Meat Loaf in it?

I don't know why he isn't in it but I do know that going to a Meat Loaf show remains one of the most disappointing experiences of my life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I saw him faint mid-song on a hot humid august night with a giant rear end thunderstorm just edging us by which made Bat out of Hell great with lightning in the clouds.

The man himself was entertaining but he didn't really sing. He sort of mumbled and bellowed at the same time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Now I'm afraid of watching Unfortunate Events and hating it, because most of the appeal of the books is not so much in the plot as it is in the writing style that I feel like wouldn't translate well to screen. Also because that 200X movie was such a piece of poo poo.

I was surprised to learn that said movie managed to win an Academy Award (for costume design).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, it's a very Roald Dahl thing, straight out of Matilda.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

If the trump movie isn't called Orange Dawn I will be really disappointed.

I vaguely hope he actually does turn out to be a Russian plant because that way the movie can be called "Agent Orange".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are the chief metrics of TV success in the post-Netflix landscape?

I can't imagine ratings are necessarily worth what they used to be.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like to buy everything I want to watch on DVD where I can because I want to support stuff in a small way but my dad pays our TV licence and none of us have ever been able to work out exactly who USB paying for Netflix and how. I admit I'm a dreadful square. :D

Today I was watching The Librarians (I think it is fun) and ran into an odd problem where the DVD just straight-up chopped out a good 10 minutes of an episode! That was very odd indeed never run into anything like that before on a DVD. No idea how that sort of thing happens.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's weird watching this kind of thing now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the end, he didn't go down the hall and to the left.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

In all seriousness, I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger on a Netflix Squirrel Girl series when Noted Sexist Douchepacker Ike Perlmutter holds some sway over Marvel TV.

I thought he'd been given a job in the government.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pan Dulce posted:

Ever have a supporting actor on a tv show leave because they think they can do better on another show as lead? Do either shows, the show they were on previously or the one they get into next ever succeed?

Closest I can think of is Tom Ellis leaving Once Upon a Time even though his character was going to get full-time supporting to do Lucifer.

Does it count if they're part of an ensemble and leave to become lead?

Because in that case, McLean Stevenson's plane was shot down over the Sea of Japan and there were no survivors.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

I've also read rumors that Katic was horrible to everyone. Whenever there's word of a dispute the internet will make up rumors about the side they don't like, so you never know what's real or not.

Sorry, do you mind me asking where your avatar gif is from? I know I saw the scene it's from in a show it's in recently but I just can't put a name to it and it's bugging me. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

It's from episode 5 of The Good Place.

She's saying "Good person"

Haha, cheers. My mind blanked on it completely but now I remember it. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spergatory posted:

Either way, I want to see where it winds up. :munch:

It probably won't adapt this but one can hope.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't watched The Magicians but it's the sort of thing I'm into so I'll probably get round to it eventually. However, I just looked it up on Amazon and according to its pre-order page it's got an 18 certificate in the UK.

What's it got then? Violence? Nudity?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I think 18 would be R. The ratings we have are U > PG > 12 > 15 > 18.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Might well be. I believe having a neck snap in your show is an automatic 15 rating, because the only DS9 disc with a 15 certificate on it is the one with the episode where O'Brien (accidentally) breaks a guy's neck.

FarScape likewise has an 18 rating for a single episode (the one where Chianna bursts some kind of pustule on a living alien space ship and it splatters over the bad guy and melts his arm off).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

It's weird how much actual cop stuff is in the first season of X-files.

Sure, you watch the first season of Millennium and it could easily be Criminal Minds.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Millenium is on the watch list once I get to the lovely part of X-files. I don't remember that show being good that often, but it was so loving weird.

Season one of Millennium is basically this Criminal Minds type edgy crime procedural where the main focus is on how hosed up the bad guys are each week, with some hinted supernatural undertones. It's the one Chris Carter was most involved with.

Season two of Millennium is where Glen Morgan and James Wong took over and it went full-bore Christian eschatological story arc (which I'm in the position right now where I acknowledge that it was technically much better than season one - it has the two best single episodes of the series - but didn't enjoy the overarching plot so much because I was bored to death with Christian eschatological plots when I watched it).

Season three was the post-script which continued the series after it reached largely a natural conclusion at the end of season two. It was okay but nothing special.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Post-script to my previous post: the most annoying thing about Millennium is that my DVD sets for seasons one and two came in slip-cases but the season three one didn't. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been pretty debunked by now? Like most serial killers are caught by routine police officers or advances in DNA technology, like the Green Valley Killer. Profiling seems to just be hype.

Then there was Dennis Rader, who got himself caught about 15 years by writing a letter to the FBI asking if they would be able to trace his taunting messages if he put them on a floppy disk and posted them in to the police and believed them when they said, "No, of course not, feel free to do that."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If I was going to revisit one or two of my favourite childhood cartoons (I was born in 1991) what could I expect to hold up well?

My first instinct is either Gargoyles or Darkwing Duck. Thought those were great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do we have a thread for animated programmes in general?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, originally, the cartoons my parents would put me down in front of the TV to watch when they wanted to keep me occupied were old Hanna Barbera shows, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes as well as stuff like Rugrats and Aah! Real Monsters. There was a lot my mum didn't approve of that I wasn't technically allowed to watch but saw anyway (off the top of my head, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken and, for some reason, the Powerpuff Girls).

When I was a bit older, I most enjoyed the DCAU cartoons, the aforementioned Gargoyles, Samurai Jack, the endless Fox Kids reruns of the X-Men and Spider-Man animated series, Dragon Ball Z and this one show called Chris Colorado which was one of the action-adventure cartoons they had when they launched CNX.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

Those shows were made during Disney's golden age smack between Beauty and the Beast and Lion King, they most definitely hold up. I know it's not the same people making them, but it's also no real surprise that the quality was there.

Was that when Katzenberg was still in charge of the studio (i.e. before Frank Wells died and Michael Eisner went fully mad with power*) or would they not have been responsible for that? Was television animation a different division?

I also remember really liking some of the Disney cartoons in the block that succeeded Disney Afternoon, like Recess and Lloyd In Space and The Weekenders. I think Recess still holds up but I'm less sure about the other two.

Anyway, think I might give some of Gargoyles another watch at some stage.

* Read Disney War, folks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pan Dulce posted:

The music bits are the best: I still can't go without singing along to "Make A Man Outta You" when the movie plays.

I don't know, I think that's the only really memorable song it has, sort of like how Hunchback only really has "Hellfire".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Gargoyles and Batman are solid choices for gothic kids action shows. I'm always impressed by how tight the continuity was on Gargoyles, it was pretty serialised for a show that came before most US studios and networks accepted that ADULTS could follow a serial story outside of soaps, let alone kids.

The other thing I remember Gargoyles having was a bunch of Shakespeare references.

That and having a whole lot of Star Trek actors appearing in recurring roles (Frakes most famously playing the main villain).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Ironically, if Danny Rand retired from drama to go be a lumberjack in the woods (can there be lumberjacks anywhere else?) It would be a neat arc.

In 2017? On stage at a rock and roll show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember watching a video of a Joss Whedon Q&A at a big convention held just after Avengers came out and made all the money in the world and came away with the impression that he sort of deserves his terrible fans.

Like, he's a decent television writer and he's done some comics I enjoy, but he came off like a bit of a prat in that. He was talking about that adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing he did around that time (probably still forthcoming then) as if he was the first person who'd ever had the idea of adapting Shakespeare to film or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite episodes were the one where Jack turns into a chicken and the one where Aku tells fairy stories, but really there were loads of great Samurai Jack episodes. There were even great episodes that barely even had Jack in them (e.g. the one where a team of bounty hunters gathers to compare strategies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Really starting to consider taking my friend's advice about X-files: "Skip every episode Cancer man is in"

No way, you don't want to do that. Even if the mythology arc goes a bit funny, William B. Davis is always good fun in it.

• Locked thread