Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Somfin posted:

Holy gently caress.

Like, there's a joke political party in New Zealand, that was active until 1999. The McGillicuddy Serious Party. One of its proposed policy changes was enforcing driving on the right-hand side of the road, to be phased in over the course of four years, starting with the heaviest vehicles.

They are somehow more reasonable than what is actually going on in India if Nenonen's info is correct.

Oh hey I guess that's where Canada's Rhinoceros Party got one of their platform positions from:

quote:

- Repeal the law of gravity

- Providing higher education by building taller schools

- Instituting English, French and illiteracy as Canada's three official languages

- Tearing down the Rocky Mountains so that Albertans could see the Pacific sunset

- Making Montreal the Venice of North America by damming the St. Lawrence River

- Abolishing the environment because it's too hard to keep clean and it takes up so much space

- Annexing the United States, which would take its place as the third territory in Canada's backyard (after the Yukon and the Northwest Territories -- Nunavut did not yet exist), in order to eliminate foreign control of Canada's natural resources

- Ending crime by abolishing all laws

- To provide more parking in the Maritimes and to create the world's largest parking lot respectively, paving the Bay of Fundy and the province of Manitoba

-Turning Montreal's Saint Catherine Street into the world's longest bowling alley

- Amending Canada's Freedom of Information Act. "Nothing is free anymore; Canadians should have to pay for their information."

- Making the Canadian climate more temperate by tapping into the natural resource of hot air in Ottawa.

- Storing nuclear waste in the Senate. "After all, we've been storing political waste there for years."

- Adopting the British system of driving on the left; this was to be gradually phased in over five years with large trucks and tractors first, then buses, eventually including small cars and bicycles last.

- Selling the Canadian Senate at an antique auction in California

- Putting the national debt on Visa

- Declaring war on Belgium because a Belgian cartoon character, Tintin, killed a rhinoceros in one of the cartoons

- Offering to call off the proposed Belgium-Canada war if Belgium delivered a case of mussels and a case of Belgian beer to Rhinoceros "Hindquarters" in Montreal (the Belgian Embassy in Ottawa did, in fact, do this)

- Painting Canada's coastal sea limits in watercolour so that Canadian fish would know where they were at all times

- Banning guns and butter, since both kill

- Banning lousy Canadian winters

- Building a bridge spanning the country, from Vancouver Island to Newfoundland.

- Making the Trans-Canada Highway one way only.

- Changing Canada's currency to bubble gum, so it could be inflated or deflated at will.

- Donate a free rhinoceros to every aspiring artist in Canada

- Counting the Thousand Islands to see if the Americans have stolen any

- The Queen of Canada would be seated in Buckingham, Quebec.

- Rather than awarding money as prizes in the lottery, the winners would be appointed to the Canadian Senate.

- Rather than patriate the constitution by bringing it to Canada, as proposed by Pierre Trudeau, the Rhinoceros Party pledged to bring Great Britain home and make it Canada's eleventh province.

- Building one nuclear power plant per household, including monthly distributions of lead underwear to Canadians. Indoor lighting would then be provided by radioactive citizens.

- Burning all the standing barns in Canada to provide energy, under the slogan Burn a barn for Britain.

- Alimony payments would go directly to the federal government, and responsibility for withholding those payments would fall upon the federal government.

- Men would be allowed to work as prostitutes, wet nurses, secretaries and receptionists.

- The Rhinoceros Party party pledge to eliminate small businesses, and replace them with very small business, having less than one employee.

- Candidate Graham Ashley, standing in Ottawa-Vanier, pledged to take Canada off the Gold Standard, and implement a Snow Standard, which would improve the economy until the summer.

- Candidate Stardust the Magician promised to put a roof on Olympic Stadium, using only a $25 million hankerchief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

What? No, of course not. Animals didn't kill or eat each other until after Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden. When they ate the forbidden fruit, it gave them knowledge of good and bad, and also made all the animals fallen and sinful.

The bible doesn't mention this at all because when God was writing it, he thought it would be obvious. Which it clearly is.

Yeah it's pretty weird how supposedly all animals lived in harmony until Adam and Eve ate of the fruit. Like, did God punish all the animals for something humans did? Seems rather unnecessary. Seems like it would be a way better lesson if everything else in the world somehow continued to live in peace and harmony but it was just people who were all hosed up and violent. You'd think that would be a pretty good constant reminder of our fall and need to do better

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

He literally called being faithful to your spouse "revolutionary".

Let's not forget that he once likened homosexuality to his desire to cheat on his wife, so I guess for him it is a revolutionary action. Bravo, Adam, bravo

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Ularg posted:

Can someone explain to me the "Well intelligence also said there were WMDs so why trust them now?" claims? My gut tells me it's bullshit.

Well there was that time that Dick Cheney "leaked" information to the press about hidden chemical precursors and weapon materials in Iraq and then went on to quote the article as evidence that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. That's about the closest it comes.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

quote:

He said he would not rest until he built a sound economy for the American people, but instead he spent part of over 300 of his days on golf courses.

lmao

"Ben Garrison said he would not rest until globalism was defeated, but instead he spent part of over 300 of last year's days just browsing the internet!"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Fuuuuuuuuck yooooooou, you hypocrite

quote:

Soda is unhealthier than weed, AGC

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Trump is a nightmare for America. AGC

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Spreading a video of one of them getting punched has the same effect as a pithy remark, at best. Persecution is a coin that they are happy to trade in. He's saying he's afraid, publicly, to the press and on twitter, to further the narrative of how dangerous and violent those left wing feminist radicals. "these kind of people are roaming around". If he was actually afraid, he wouldn't be talking about it! This isn't going to cause him to stop going places or speaking, it's going to let him and his followers talk about how brave he was to overcome it. Spencer is saying publicly that he's worried it will become a meme, but he'd love for the image of him as the sane and rational one under threat by violent lefties became a meme. These are not people you can take at their word.

It's not about what he deserves, it's about what the effects are on his appeal. This increases his appeal, just like Milo loves having counterprotests (the rowdier, the better) at his campus talks. The proper response isn't to hit back, no matter how appealing it is. It's to cut them off in advance. Campuses and venues can easily enact policies that have the effect of excluding these people from speaking. Policies on ticket priority can keep them from bringing in paid supporters, which keeps them from profiting. Counterprogramming can sap their audience and promote an alternative narrative. The right wing isn't beaten by being attacked or reasoned with, but by cutting off their air.

The alt-right build their image off the idea that they're alpha tough guys and that everyone else is a degenerate weakling who needs safe spaces and can't handle any sort of difficulty. Punching them in the face is exactly the kind of thing that shatters their illusion. If everyone else is a cuck and they're beating the poo poo out of you, what does that make you?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Jedit posted:

Jesus H trampolining Christ. Leave aside the soda thing for a second: you are literally arguing that the correlation between carrying more weight and getting more tired is not causation. This is not an argument that can be made by anyone who has ever walked 100 yards (or climbed a flight of stairs) carrying a couple of heavy shopping bags.

It's not like sugar in soda just automatically turns into fat and doesn't do anything else. I could literally drink a half gallon of soda every day and probably not gain any weight since I've got a rather active lifestyle. And it's not like a person who IS obese can't just stop drinking soda and make up for it by eating more sweets in another form

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

euphronius posted:

..... isn't that the whole point of why it was so stupid for trump to say it.

It was stupid of him to say it because if Obama actually had Trump tapped, it would mean he got court approval which would mean the courts thought there was sufficient evidence that Trump might've been involved in criminal wrongdoing, as I understand it

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I tend to play women maybe 3/4ths of the time if I get to choose gender, and that's probably because 99% of games have you playing as a dude and I like variety. Plus I mean it was just really fun playing as an attractive lady in a top hat whipping eldritch abominations to death with a cane-whip-sword in Bloodborne. I highly recommend it

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

lol that Bush looks more like actual Obama than his Obama does

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Even when I left the military and went on unemployment, I still didn't qualify for food stamps - because I was living with close family members. Add to this that I had to demonstrate that I was actively looking for work on a weekly basis by showing up at a job center with applications and updated resumes just to keep the meager ~$600 a month I was being given, and even then, the unemployment office still found cause to ask for ~$2000 of it back once I did start working full time again, in spite of the fact I called and told them the minute I got the full time job.

This is in Texas. I don't know how it is in other states, but for me, getting "free poo poo" wasn't easy and hardly a loving scam. It's made me realize that the whole wellfare queen thing is bullshit, and any time some dumbfuck oxy-riddled redneck at my job goes off on people mooching off the gov't, I loving die a little more each time.

edit: I want to clarify that I'm not pissing and moaning I didn't get food stamps - the whole experience made me realize that the stamps are intended for the truly destitute and suffering. I was lucky to have a home to move into when I separated.

You see someone at the supermarket pull out a EBT card, that person's hurting.

Yeah, it's loving laughable listening to right wingers talk about welfare queens. It's so loving hard to get assistance in some states that you basically have to be homeless or starving to get enough support to just barely subsist. Oh and don't even think about quitting your job, because then you won't get anything at all, no matter how lovely or abusive the company you were working for was. By the time I actually decided to apply for food stamps I was kicking myself for not having done it earlier because there were like 6 months before then where I was basically dead broke and getting further into debt to survive, and I could've just avoided that completely. And hey, then I managed to find a job that wasn't poo poo and it was a lot easier to do since I wasn't spending all my mental energy on figuring out how I was gonna eat that month

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

CountFosco posted:

What was it but nationalism, the sense that we needed to defend our nation and its democratic ideals, that spurred our efforts to defeat the Axis powers?

Nationalism was of course at the core of fascism's rise, but nationalism also was an instrument (among many) of its defeat. It's almost as though one can have a healthy, moderate nationalism versus an unhealthy, toxic nationalism.

There's no such thing as moderate nationalism. Nationalism is never "our country is great and I want to share what makes it great with the rest of the world." It's always "our country is great and everyone else is trying to steal everything that makes it great, gently caress off!"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

Man, y'all are really over-analyzing this. It's a Hollywood movie, when this project first started coming together some studio executive said this needs a recognizable Hollywood star and everything else is just working around that. That executive had no objective other than profit, having someone like Scarlett Johansson as the lead will drag more butts into theater seats. Whatever creative decisions were made around the character are utterly secondary.

Alternatively, GITS is already one of the better known series out there and the movie could've been a starmaker for some asian actress. Instead they alienated a huge chunk of the people who were most likely to go see the movie.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Boy is he gonna feel stupid when Hillary doesn't run again. Just kidding, he'll keep pumping out Hunny Bunny comics until the heat death of the universe

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

:eyepop:

That's some fine work

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Ularg posted:

Actual anonymity helps these assholes actually send out threats, but for the rest of the regular harassment is done by people who may as well be anonymous because nothing is going to really happen to them in response.

But if there's anything I learned is that the assholes might just be the majority in our society, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Wasn't there some study done that found that the vast vast majority of comments were posted by a tiny fraction of the userbase of just about any site? Like yeah there's a lot of "Obama did 9/11!" posts but it's basically one dude who sits around posting it everywhere because he has literally nothing going on in his life

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

loquacius posted:

I really really don't understand how one can still sincerely think in 2017 that terrorism tops the list of "real problems in America"

More Americans have been strangled to death by their own bedsheets since 2000 than killed by terrorists. I am indeed including 9/11 in that statistic.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

So I guess minorities shouldn't worry about the police since the probability of being killed by one is also essentially zero in any given year?

It's almost as if how people emotionally respond to things isn't guided by taking in facts and making GBS threads pure logic. Are you libertarian by any chance? Cause I hear that sort of thing all the time from them.

No, I'm hella leftie. Police bias is about a lot more than just getting killed by cops, it also has to do with minorities being disproportionately targeted by cops, convicted by juries, and sentenced by judges. It's a massive problem that affects minorities in a big way. It would not even be unfair to say that cops are way more dangerous to minorities than terrorists are.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I'm going to poo poo in Mr. Fish's mouth.

Chelsea Manning, if anyone, is Prometheus in this case. Assange is a piece of poo poo

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 23, 2017

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Sooooo what, a strong stance against global warming = not caring about terrorism?

You can only care about one thing at a time. And if you're not spending an equal amount of resources on a problem that kills thousands over several years as you are on a problem that will restructure the world and possibly kill millions if not billion, you're a terrorist-sympathizer

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

Except for the part where Trump campaigned in key states while Clinton ... didn't, not to mention the bit where on national television Clinton flat-out told a voter "my policies will put you out of a job." Literally: she answered "we're going to put a lot of coal miners out of work" to a coal miner asking about what she would to to help people like him.

Trump had a superior campaign strategy to Clinton, whose strategy appeared to be "of course I'm going to win, time to try and run up the score."

"...and into a better job since your current job is going to disappear soon regardless of anything we do"

I'm staring to think politicians shouldn't use more than one clause per sentence because the electorate can't remember anything past about 7 words

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Trump's stupid giant head is going to block the sun, killing us all. AGC

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Ben Garrison posted:

Great Britain has at least shown some sign of a backbone. They resisted taxation without representation when they voted for Brexit, but too many of their leaders remain bent on globalism. The latest terror attack in London was good excuse for Theresa May to call for control over the Internet and the end of privacy and free speech. She doesn’t want a good crisis to go to waste.

But they already had representation. Also this seems to imply that May calling for control over the Internet and the end of privacy and free speech is a bad thing but it's literally the endpoint of Islamophobia and Garrison's whole position. They keep saying we need to take all measures to fight terrorism and THATS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DO

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oddly, I haven't heard any talk of any sleeping around Trump might have been doing recently. Is that just in the past for him and/or his dick doesn't work anymore?

It's definitely that his dick doesn't work. Slimeballs like him don't change their attitude

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

A Nier: Automata Cartoon

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Duckbag posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo. Every Sanders supporter I know likes Warren fine. If anything, it was the Warren people who sabotaged him by running a quixotic months long "draft Warren" campaign when she explicitly said she wasn't running.

Also, who the gently caress is declaring front-runners this early? Isn't picking a candidate what primaries are for? Have democrats really learned nothing from last year's botched coronation?

Also you gotta love that straw-manning. "They support him now, they'll obviously support him when he's a hundred years old. BTW, did you know that Sanders is old and his supporters are all white men?"

Ehhhh, you must've missed that brief period where a lot of Bernie supporters started saying Warren wasn't a progressive because she supported Clinton. I'm sure the sentiment still exists in some circles

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Duckbag posted:

Well, a lot of folks genuinely expected her to back Sanders because they're so similar on so many issues and Clinton is way to the right of both of them. A cynic can definitely read Warren's actions last year as selling out. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it's a fair critique. If you were just looking at her stated policy positions, it was reasonable to assume she'd back Bernie and disappointing to a lot of people when she didn't.

Didn't she only turn to support Clinton after she already secured the nomination?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

To be slightly lenient, the second example doesn't specify "all kind people are socialists" which gives a bit of wiggle room.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

What the gently caress

Branco is a real piece of poo poo

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Something is inexpensive, therefore everyone can afford the expense and there is no reason for society to provide it. That's why there are no government programs to help people who can't afford food, electricity, or running water, it's just dollars a day people!!!

Also Gary McCoy is a loving turd and I'll keep saying it no matter how many gas station pickles he accuses me of buying

It's not even true that it's inexpensive. poo poo can be really drat costly

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Hey, guess which people don’t dwell on these moral quandaries? Right-wing voters. They don’t give a gently caress about what their politicians used to believe, or even if these positions are completely hypocritical to how they actually live their lives. All they care about is that their politicians are saying what they want to hear. They don’t even seem to give a gently caress if they vote in complete contrast to their positions! As long as they blatantly lie and say “actually, this bill that’s going to kill a bunch of people isn’t going to kill a bunch of people,” their voters cheer them on

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think that political inconvenience is a good excuse when it comes to not standing up for human rights. On other issues, maybe.

A lot of people seem to think it's a binary position. Either you give full-throated support for something or you're ardently against it. In reality, politicians have to represent their constituents and if their constituents aren't in favor of something, being in support of it means you won't get elected and instead it'll be the guy with tremendously lovely positions who does. You can't change anything if you don't have power.

You want to make changes? Elect whoever the gently caress you can who is sympathetic to your position, then hold their feet to the fire. With the GOP controlling all the branches of the government, we're seeing exactly what happens when we put ideological purity above pragmatism. None of these people give one single flying gently caress about anything remotely leftist and will not budge a goddamn hair towards human decency. I'd rather have 51 Hillary Clinton clones in the Senate than 51 Mitch McConnells because I know I can actually reason with one of them

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

You're right. Ideological purity, now and forever! Now can I get a full list of all your beliefs so I can find the two or three points we might disagree on so I can preserve my integrity by not voting for you?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Radish posted:

People aren't falling for "we simply have to do small steps, it's how government has to work sorry. Maybe your kids in 20 years will benefit :shrug:" anymore, especially as Trump burns down every political norm in plain sight.

Destroying stuff is way easier than building it up, turns out. Businesses have to adapt to an increase in minimum wage but a decrease just means throwing that extra money straight into CEO pockets

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Literally the only thing stopping them from "adapting" to pay raises in the same way is they don't want to have less money in CEO pockets.

Some companies run on small profit margins and jumping straight from, say, $7.25/hr to $15/hr couple really gently caress them over in a way that a gradual increase of a dollar every few months or so wouldn't.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

logger posted:

Weird how she labeled Ted Cruz as Speaker Ryan

Everyone else is depicted as another animal and so Ryan is being depicted as Ted Cruz

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Prince Val is being posted as some sort of weird protest against Zelda, right

Sure looks that way. The two aren't comparable, either. Val is a cool comic but it's high fantasy and has nothing to do with politics at all. Zelda at least talks about modern life through the lens of someone progressive (and flawed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

img_window_ha_ha_yes.jpg

lmfao how does anyone look at Gorrell's body of work and come to the conclusion that he's left-wing?

• Locked thread