Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

McNally posted:

So first I got a letter from my school congratulating me for making Dean's List for my great semester! Hooray!

Then I got a letter saying I'm on academic probation because my overall GPA sucks. Boo!

My crappy academic performance from five years ago is weighing me down, so I applied for academic forgiveness. The school says to qualify, I needed a five year break between the end of my last semester and starting up with them. I was three months short of five full years, but I was told to go ahead and apply anyway.

A week or so later I got a letter saying my application was denied because I didn't meet the five year break that state policy requires. So I looked up the policy and the state says I only need four years.

So when classes start up next week I'm going to see my advisor to ask him what the gently caress. If it's a school policy, fuckin' say so and don't hide behind the state.

Jesus, it's like trying to nail jello to the wall. Why can't poo poo go smoothly for once?

9 years. My Dean's List and academic probation letters came the same day, too.

Oh my God, I out-McNally'd McNally at something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Sociology 101, 3 hours a day and 4 days a week. If I make it through this mini-mester without actively drinking in class it's going to be a miracle.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Low level sociology classes are loving horrible but should be really easy at least.

Conflict theory, structural functionalism, gesellschaft & gemeinschaft, etc. You won't get into anything remotely interesting with what to actually DO with those theories until the upper level/grad classes anyway.

Oh it's definitely one of those easy A classes, I'm just in more danger of falling asleep since for whatever reason I'm at least passingly familiar with most of the material. Plus the professor literally reads the powerpoints that are 2 editions behind the book, maybe a couple brief little elaborations or some hilariously biased anecdote to break things up.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

No one cared who I was until I put on the yarn wig[/Bane] started sucking dick to avoid getting a job.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ahh the fist warm day of spring. When all the dudebros would bust out their basketball shorts.

So much VPL :allears:

The gently caress is a VPL?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Ah, as in the reason I only wear snug-fitting boxer briefs now. As much as I love being a lazy poo poo wearing gym shorts whenever I can, it's a pain in the rear end when you almost miss class after you had to spend 10 minutes thinking about Lena Dunham because the yoga pants brigade was having a show of force.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

A&P texts are seriously cutting into my binge drinking budget this semester. Well more chicken and rice and nutella budget now, but still.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

But that's funny, and he said it with confidence. These students got flustered. I don't know if they're dumb, just didn't want condoms from our school's LGBT group, or if one of the girls at the booth was right, and millennials just aren't having as much sex anymore.

Or just the usual being embarrassed about poo poo like that especially if they're freshies or sophomores and haven't had the shame ironed out of them by one too many ragers followed by the classic shamble home next morning, reeking of cigarettes and dried-on awkward shitfaced-drunk hump sweat.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TBeats posted:

Btw bonds accounting sucks.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Naked Bear posted:

He also referred to hired help as "Tobies" and legit did not know what that meant.

:stare:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

To be fair within 2 months of getting to Korea after AIT my nickname was Toby, I don't think I heard my actual last name from anyone except the one anal-retentive spergy NCO we had. I just said gently caress it and rolled with it after the first sausage, CO, and BC all called me that within the same day.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Naked Bear posted:

Five minutes 'til and I'm the only one standing outside the lab. :stare:

I'm far, far away from being a morning person but I'm still usually 10-15 minutes early. I'd say at least half the kids arrive maybe 5 minutes before the class starts, with almost 1/4 trickling in over the next T+5 or so.

Definitely had that one to begin with though, poo poo's always made me anxious as gently caress if I even start getting close to "only" 5 minutes early.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Naked Bear posted:

It's not tolerated, there are just an abnormal number of retards who think they're special and just haven't been caught yet. We're not all that awful, I promise.

As someone who has threatened with physical violence and subsequently followed up on said promise for people trying to drive while drunk, this. That and fingerfucking your phone while in control of multiple tons of metal and plastic traveling at high speed are two things I will go absolutely loving ballistic over.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

All but one of the suits I own I purchased when I was 50lbs heavier so they all look like I'm a kid wearing my dad's clothes now.

This is along the lines of my problem right now, 6' at a lean 240+ makes buying regular clothes an enormous pain in the rear end if I want anything that isn't a shmedium or a circus tent. Suit shopping turns that up to the nth degree where I can get the shoulders to fit but the arms are hosed, plus the amount of material a tailor is going to have to remove to get a tapered fit is ridiculous. I figure once I stabilize at maybe 250ish I'll just go for bespoke and be done with it.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its possible to be a lean 240 at 6', but you gotta be loving jacked to be there. If you're a roided out monster, my apologies for calling you fat.

I'm looking to crack the state powerlifting records with my openers in about a year, so yeah. I don't eat super clean but I lift around 8 hours a week and do cardio for about 3.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Soulex posted:

I started smoking and stopped taking a shitload of medication that was causing me to be lethargic and eat shittily and dip all the time. Smoking weed actually gave me more energy and made me want to eat good food instead of shoppette stuff. While doing more for the pain than the meds ever did and more. Plus I didn't feel like dying.

I was on 4 OxyContin, 4 tramadol, 4 flexiril daily.

Jesus Christ, I think I'd die in my sleep just from the flexeril. That and cyclobenzoprine are two things that are guaranteed to provoke profound apneic episodes. After a single dose to zonk me out I'd wake up the next day groggy through half the day and completely lethargic, plus the worst splitting headaches I've ever felt outside of a genuine vomit-inducing migraine.

gently caress both of those meds, told my PA he could eat my rear end if he thought I was ever touching those again.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Cyclobenzoprine is Flexeril.

Yeah I'm retarded, it was one of the sedating H1 antagonists like cyclizine or some poo poo. Which struck me as profoundly retarded at the time given that I had worked up to like 150-200mg doses of diphenhydramine just to get my brain to turn off at night over the year prior.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Upside: One definite A so far, with the other two finals later in the week probably rounding the classes off with two Bs.

Downside: I appear to be hosed for the 2017-2018 bachelors-level PA program deadline, so hoo-loving-ray I'm going to have to slap together an undergrad and buckle in for another couple of years more than I'd thought.

Silver lining on the poo poo cloud is the strong possibility of not having to move to the other end of the country. Maybe if I'm really lucky, just maybe possibly getting VR&E money if I can find out where the gently caress my med record CD is (plus the jumblefuck password structure) and the VA doesn't gently caress with me over a sleep apnea diagnosis.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

I know for actual no-poo poo med school it's pretty much Biology BS (or something along those lines) or bust, but I'm wondering if PA programs actually give that much of a poo poo beyond "biology/science degree preferred". I figure it's a lot more of a non-issue given how the PA profession in general is a lot more of an oddity than the straight shot MD or even ADN/BSN/NP kind of paths, but I figure it can't hurt to ask just in case someone has any specific insights.

Even though it kinda feels like a cop-out despite that being a retarded line of thought, technically Exercise Science falls under the Kinesiology department of the Health Professions College anyway. All I'd have to do then is become an ortho-bro to really sink that stereotype.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It varies from program to program, often in terms of required courseload (organic chemistry and the like)

Yep, just weighing current credits plus pre-reqs still missing against different undergrad degrees to find the shortest non-poo poo path there. It doesn't really hurt that I'm already intimately familiar with most of the Exercise Science coursework via extracurricular hobbies, for what it's worth. I shouldn't need much more for prereqs as it is, A&P2 plus biochem and/or o-chem, maybe genetics, and medical terminology which is probably gonna be hilariously dumb.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

Using the GI Bill for professional graduate programs owns so hard it's incomprehensible. My program is full yellow ribbon, so my GI Bill has paid out effectively $150k so far and I still have six months of benefits (that I'm hoping will last me through the end of next year). My goal is to get $200k worth of school out of it when all is said and done.

If I was going for MD instead of PA I'd definitely do whatever portion of my undergrad necessary without the GI Bill, just so I could laugh at all my classmates at some place like Hopkins while they're drowning in debt.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

loving summer classes, Jesus Christ. I almost had a loving aneurysm today from holding in the overwhelming need to scream, "WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU TRYING TO DEFEND ADOLF loving EICHMANN YOU SIMPLE BITCH?" for two straight hours.

Pretty sure if I couldn't burn that poo poo off with lifting then I would've been solidly blackout drunk within an hour of getting home.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

"The Final Solution" guy.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

milk milk lemonade posted:

Were they defending Adolf Eichmann or all the Little Eichmanns

Like literally Eichmann himself, part of some poo poo about nature/nurture ethics and the "just following orders" crowd.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Same class with the Nazi apologist, total workload is under 5k words over 3 papers, only one of which is researched. If I'd known this poo poo I would've taken another class with it, as it is I fart out a thousand or so words at 2 AM before it's due and get As.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Did I miss something where suddenly it's snitches get stitches and "Saudi" is shorthand for "goatfucking raghead"?

Unless I'm really off the rez here it seems like two dudes are being blatant douchebags. However you feel with whatever black-and-white or grey scale of academic dishonesty, you act like a loving dick and even if I'm in a whatever kind of mindset I'm a lot less likely to turn a blind eye to poo poo.

But hey, maybe it's actually a tacit expression of prejudice and racism by someone who just assumes two Middle Eastern-looking dudes are Saudi.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Shut... Uh, shut...

tastefully arranged labia posted:

shut the gently caress up cole

Shut the gently caress up Cole.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Turned in my fall registration and I just had this motherfucker try to tell me bennies are pro-rated not just down to the day, but also by the full/part time percentages. Am I loving crazy, or was my barely-contained impulse to call him a liar straight to his face actually well-founded?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Zeris posted:

Yeah I found out the hard way that GI bill benefits on a one-fourth credit load are both pathetically small and also still count 1:1 for days used.

Yeah that's what I was calling bullshit about. I knew about the day to day prorate, but he was talking like 8 credits would only burn a certain percentage of a benefit month.

And this is why you never trust a ginger.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Just had my vet office dude explain this to me. You are absolutely correct for full time. I too thought that going less than full time was wasting benefits but apparently I and a lot of you are wrong in that assessment. If you go half time, they calculate the usual pro-rated deduction like TBeats was saying but then charge your benefits half the time. 3/4 is 75% etc etc. I'm pretty sure they don't discriminate further than in 25% increments. hth

With this in mind the vet office and I figured out that I'm going to get my gi bill to pay for all but 2-3 classes at the very end of my undergrad. poo poo 'chyea. I never expected it to pay for more than my AAS so this was good news.

God dammit, I need to go back into the office when the one competent lady is there and triple-check this. The whole time I've been taking like 10/11 credits (4 + 4 + 3, 4 + 3 + 3, etc) I've been subtly pissed off because I figured not only was I getting dicked on BAH but also double-dicked by burning full benefit months.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

I don't think I can overstate how much I'm dreading this summer Applied Algebra & Trig class. Pretty much planning on a standing appointment with the tutors on campus, on top of a steady IV drip of Khan Academy.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Soulex posted:

They don't have anything to do with each other though. If they were related I am sure they would make a difference. Like double majoring in real estate and economics or some poo poo.

But they do? Add a kinesio masters, slap a couple NSCA certs on, and you've got a recipe for some very lucrative work with pro sports teams.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Holy poo poo was I worrying about nothing, this class should be "Math For Retards (And Healthcare Professions)" instead of, "Functional Algebra & Trig".

Barring me having a fit of the 'tards and making GBS threads the bed with this test tomorrow, that is.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

All I do is pay attention in lecture and take notes in my own words instead of what the prof is saying/writing verbatim. If I really need to reinforce something I re-teach somebody else, it forces me to go back over my notes because I have to translate it into a completely different perspective. I've seen people get a full letter grade higher after letting them in on the little re-teaching secret, poo poo's the only way to fly.

E: And this is for poo poo like A&P, microbiology, not some bullshit fluff filler 101 class that anyone with half a brain could make an easy B in just by taking the exams blind.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

lightpole posted:

I'm going to school to get laid, get free mental health and then make bank and not work when I graduate.

Edit: Also to point to my mental superiority with my extra degree in arguments. Making the other person mad is winning in my world.

Going to school to gently caress bitches, get money, get a degree and some certifications, get another degree and certification, gently caress nurses, make fat stacks, and laugh at MDs with student loan mountains.

Probably add "get paid to stare at and train yoga pants-clad squat butts" somewhere in there, too.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

tastefully arranged labia posted:

thanks for making me aware of it again dick :mad:

What's that? Let me play you the song of my people.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

Research is so boring and is the worst. I did a year of research at HUP in Philly and at the end right when we submitted our manuscript a bunch of papers came out that the scale we had been using to gauge prior risk and outcomes was useless bullshit and our whole project got gutted. I spent months doing data analysis and all that data work got chopped on edits because it all relied on that scale, so my name got chopped from the manuscript and I didn't get a publication out of a year of work and I was like "welp gently caress research forever it sucks." That's why I'm hoping to match to an ER residency, ER people don't give a poo poo if you research.

Suck somebody's dick and get an EM residency at Shock Trauma.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

You show me the right dick, I’ll know what to do

Let you know when I find out. I've got some pie in the sky ideas about the Hopkins PA EM residency, but even that's getting well ahead of myself before I even start applying to PA programs.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Same with nursing students being about a 50/50 split of loving retards. I get the same feeling that happened when I realized how many medics in my graduation class at AIT were going to be responsible for peoples' lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

You know what must be done.