Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'll post my comics for today in a little bit. But first,

FALLING OFF THE CLIFF:
2016, A Year In Mark Trail, In Review

It's been quite a thrilling time in sexy women* falling off cliffs this year, and I have high hopes for even more exiting stumbles in 2017!

*and Mark Trail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sunday comics! With recaps for new people and old people who like recaps!

The Amazing Spider-Man follows the same story on weekdays and Sundays. In the latest adventure, assholes from space (and the Guardians movie) keep landing on Earth and kicking Spidey's rear end. See below:

Sally Forth is a nice little joke-a-day family strip by Judge Parker writer, Ces Marciuliano. It's generally highly regarded, even though it has occasionally ventured into depressing territory over the last year. Though there is an overarching plot, Sunday strips usually stand alone.

The Heart of Juliet Jones is a romance soap strip that comes to us from the late 50's and early 60's, depending on whether you're reading Sundays or weekday. It's about a nice wholesome lady named Julie Jones and her nice wholesome sparkplug of a sister, Eve, and their nice wholesome dad, Pops, living their lives in the small wholesome town of Devon. It's a lot more fun than you'd think from that description, and the art is fantastic. (According to an article we saw last year, the artist on this strip was a pioneer in drawing recognizable emotions on the strip's characters rather than having them all just blankly stare at everything. You'd think that wouldn't have taken until the 50's to figure out.) The latest Sunday storyline starts today, so you know as well as I do what's happening!

Prince Valiant is that comic that you always skipped on the way to Garfield when you were a kid because you thought it was boring. Turns out that you were an entirely stupid child because Prince Valiant is and always was a badass. The current storyline is more or less wrapping up, but the jist is that Genghis Kahn Azar Rasa, an evil sorcerer king, has just gotten thrown into the firey pits of hell (conveniently located in his castle basement) along with the Soul of Asia, an overpowered magical spellbook he was planning to use to conquer the world. There was a giant centipede. People got stabbed through the neck. A horse fell off a cliff. This strip is too rad to publish daily, so it is constrained to Sundays.

Phantom Classic, it turns out, does have the same story on weekdays and Sundays, but Comics Kingdom publishes them out of sync, so it doesn't seem that way. Sundays are ahead by several months, so if you start reading the weeklies and feel like it seems familiar, that's why. Anyhoo, the current Sunday plotline centers on Phantom's wolf, Devil, who just rescued Prince Whatever's son from a rampaging wild boar. It's 1951 and the Prince digs hunting, so of course his response is to show his gratitude by capturing Devil and forcing him to fight bears until he dies. Presumably when the Phantom finds out he will not be amused.

Big Ben Bolt used to be a boxer, but now he's a reporter, see? And sometimes he's a sports reporter and sometimes he just reports on general stuff. I don't know, I liked it better when he was a boxer, but I guess this strip is still good. The Sunday plot involves a pair of con artists with ridiculous fake French accents that they seem disinclined to pull out today. They conned Ben into smuggling the Mona Lisa into America, I guess. I don't know. This storyline kind of lost me early on.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 1, 2017

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yes. Thank goodness those invasive ants and birds have been destroyed. Now they will never be able to damage that island's delicate ecosystem. :what:

Luann has decided to start the new year out right by switching to the more boring of its currently running plotlines. The biggest development last year was that Luann's brother Brad finally got around to marrying his girlfriend Toni. Fun Fact: They almost got married on September 11, but public outcry forced Team Evans to change the date. Anyhoo, looks like this week Brad and Toni are home from the honeymoon to spend time with their hideous wallpaper and arsonist roommate.

The Amazing Spider-Man

I hope Spidey never stops getting his rear end kicked by a space raccoon.

If Sally Forth shares one quality with Luann, it's that it flip flops between multiple storylines from week to week. The background to this one is that Hilary broke up with her long distance boyfriend Jon and then he started hitting on her friend Nona when Hil went to summer camp.

The Heart of Juliet Jones: In this timeline, Julie is a mayor! She got invited to some big mayor's confab where the dashing Governor Millson, noticing that Julie is the only lady mayor in existence, immediately set his sights on getting all up into her panties. Date night was spoiled, however, by the arrival of Gov Millson's son, who is a complete poo poo.

Edit: Sometimes I forget to adjust the image size from colossal to merely huge. Usually it doesn't take me so long to notice, though. Hope I didn't just blow up anybody's monitor.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 3, 2017

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

She owns an airline. I thought she made that pretty clear to the german guy, but I guess not. She had a lavatory painted so it looks like a terrifying smear of color his bathroom at home for some reason I didn't quite follow, on their flight to Hong Kong so he could ask her parents' permission to marry her.

I think it's because he's a shy peer? (Or pooper, even. Hard to say.) So she painted it to look like Home Base so he'd have an easier time squeezing something out. How she could possibly have known about his problem in the time they had to get to know each other is beyond me.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh, my goodness.

Sally Forth

Well, guess what, Ted. I don't know about what's happening where you live, but I'm getting snowed out of work tomorrow.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

I expect in the very near future for Julie to once again show us what it looks like when she is Having None of this poo poo.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWUH. TJ is way too invested in the logistics of his roommates getting their gently caress on. You just know he's got a webcam hidden in there.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

And now, the other comics I post! Thanks to a front-loaded work week, I wait to post half my comics until the back end of the week. Thanks to a snowstorm, you get these guys a day early. All of these are soap strips with an overarching plot, so prepare for :words:

Phantom Classic is just like New Phantom, but way older and people tend to like him more. In the current storyline, Diana has been kidnapped by a shady Thugee cult and held for ransom. Phantom is going to rescue her, of course. He infiltrated their secret base by disguising himself as another would-be kidnap victim and getting them to kidnap him instead. Then he went and jumped off the boat they were transporting him in and they're not sure if he's still alive. (He is.)

Also, there is a gorilla involved.

As I mentioned on Sunday, Comics Kingdom runs the weeklies and the Sundays offset from each other by several months, so you may recognize this plotline if you've been reading Sunday Phantom Classic for a while.

Radio Patrol is so damned convoluted, and that's the way we like it. Our heroes are Pat The Cop, Infantile Girlfriend (required by 1940's rules to be treated like a toddler at all times), and Pinky The Loathsome (one of those horrible children that appear in media all the time so kids will read/watch who are always horning in and are so smart and good at everything that you just wish they would die or at least be told to shut up). These people don't appear in today's strips.

We seem to be wrapping up the current storyline, but it's hard to tell with Radio Patrol. The main bad guy this time is called "The Mind" on account of he's so smart and also he leaves coins with a skull on them at the scene of his crimes. (It was so he could collect on a bet with his co-conspirator, "Sport", which doesn't matter since he murdered that guy anyway.) Now we've gotten to the inevitable point in any Radio Patrol storyline where the bad guy tries to get away and it takes forever and there's lots of running around.

Rip Kirby details the adventures of the titular Rip Kirby, super PI, and his standard-issue English butler, Desmond. The current storyline is pretty new, and involves a belly dancer and pickpocket named Sirene who is being exploited and blackmailed into doing more pickpocketing by some jerk named... uh... I forget. But no matter, it's sure to come up again.

Big Ben Bolt used to be a champion boxer, but now he's retired and has become a reporter. In the current storyline he's hanging out with his pal and former manager, Spider just so we can check back in with the boxing world for a bit. Our heroes are dismayed to find out that a promising young boxer has been contracted by his lazy dad to box for a shady promoter (Mr. Crain) who fixes fights. Dad recently found out the truth about the fixed fights and tried a little touch of ham-fisted extortion on Mr. Crain, but only got his rear end kicked by goons for his trouble.

Also, don't let the young boxer's appearance fool you. Though he appears to be 47, he's actually supposed to be quite young. Whatever the appropriate age to start boxing professionally is.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 5, 2017

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Adam Ames

Daddy's pissed!

I see this takes place before childhood vaccines were a big thing.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

And Toni gets the tiniest shelf ever because pretty girls can't have snacks. Gotta keep up the figure.

The Amazing Spider-Man

That's a side-effect of entering Newspaper Earth's atmosphere. Gives you the stupids. :saddowns:

Sally Forth

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I don't know how firefighter duty rosters get made and I would't expect that they'd get their schedules to sync all the time, but I'd think they could do better than that, especially considering they're newlyweds. I can only conclude that whoever makes the schedule hates Brad and Toni as much as the rest of us do.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Gamora's only weakness is green women.

Look at the way they drew that raccoon all ramrod straight. Spidey must have thrown a hunk of rebar at him before webbing him up.

Sally Forth

"I can't imagine how awful that must be. Well, bye."

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

This storyline has been pretty iffy, but I gotta hand it to these two strips. They're good.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

lol @ Rex Morgan, MD.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Super gross!

Vargo posted:

And no new Wallace The Brave yet, so here's a thing I found on GoComics' "new comic alert" page instead:

I'm not going to commit to an opinion yet, but this might be ok.

I'm having a really hard time imagining Mark Trail calling anybody "baby."

Tissue desperation is one of the worst feelings. I mean, not literally, just trying to say that it sucks, is all.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Has anyone that uses GoComics as their source (as I do) tried out "the new GoComics"? (example) They're certainly trying to make image saving and sharing outside the usual banal social networks more difficult. :(

Wow, that is garbage. I'm glad I only use GoComics for Luann. And I'm keeping the old format as long as I can. Like hell am I registering an account just to zoom in on loving Luann. And they can take away my right clicks, but they'll never take away my screengrabs.

Wall calendars are great. And I'm not just saying that because I'm the kind of person who still reads and enjoys newspaper comics. Sometimes a thing is just easier to write on your wall calendar. Calendar stores also sell games and poo poo. Suck it, weird Millennial as written by a Boomer.

Luann

For reals. If they had a honeymoon, we didn't hear about it. They've been married maybe a day. Whoever set up their schedule hates the hell out of them.

The Amazing Spider-Man

He knows what a rhino and a -saurus is, but not a raccoon?

Sally Forth

Stealing all his girlfriends?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, Ed. The man is just trying to do his job. Go gently caress yourself.

Ed is so frequently an rear end in a top hat to people he deems as lower status (including his own son). At least the wife is almost rolling her eyes today. Are we really supposed to identify with this dick?

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets a Sunday Strip That Probably Should've Run Back in That Whole Cave Arc Where White Nose Syndrome Was the Excuse Y'know?

He had to take the time to write up all that important research he did in the cave.

quote:

The Phantom

Somebody's throat just got cut, albeit in a culturally improbable fashion, in the Sunday Funnies. Awesome.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Doesn't Spidey have something he can put on those webs to make them dissolve faster? Or did I just make that up? I'm choosing to believe that he does, but he's just pissed at Rocket for beating him up in front of his wife.

Sally Forth

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

GoComics is a piece of poo poo now! The Chrome extension did nothing for me! Looks like we've sunk to cropped screenshot time! This is way too much effort for Luann.

Luann

Thankfully the rest of my comics are at Comics Kingdom, which is much easier to work with.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Yes, we all know you have a nice rear end, MJ.

Sally Forth

Well, this is uncomfortable.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

My favorite thing is that GoComics seems to think people will pay to be able to resize the comics.

I pay Comics Kingdom to resize their comics. But they have good comics and a sizable vintage section, so...

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Option #2: Add a bookmark with this as the URL/URI, click it to run the above javascript on whatever page you're on:
code:
javascript:( function() { $(".item-comic-link-disabled").removeClass("item-comic-link-disabled"); } )();

This did the trick for me. You are a prince!

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

...and the pitch! posted:

That F Minus hits a little too close to home

Yeah. That one made me feel sad.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Bernice is the smart and level-headed one. :downs:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

I love that Sal and Ted are definitely late Gen X, and Ces refuses to let them slide into the default that Comics parents are Boomers, if not older.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

"We HAVE to have a real wedding! My parents would LITERALLY DIE if they could not attend my wedding! They deserve our respect!"
"But, what about my parents?"
"Eh, we'll just blow up your dad's phone with videos of us loving."

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Yeah. No way it couldn't be one of the three people you've met. It's not your job to be Colombo. Just report it and move on with your life.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

:catbert:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

I'm not sure what "The Mind" thought was going to happen here.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

The poor colorist cannot figure out MJ's cheekbones.

Sally Forth

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

This is the kind of entertaining and hard-hitting advice people go to Ask Wendy for. No wonder Wilbur gets paid to tour the world if this is the level of writing he's producing day in and day out.

"Go ask somebody for advice," writes the advice columnist.

Luann

If Dez just wants to keep trolling Bernice forever, then she can stay.

The Amazing Spider-Man

The SA forums are shunning my attempts to share my hilarious reference in a convenient manner, so just skip to an hour and 9 minutes and 43 seconds by yourselves. Please and thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjG1FPi0T3A

Sally Forth

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 17, 2017

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

For gently caress's sake! You're the RA, not the loving security guard!

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

drat, Ralph.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

I guess if they had to do amnesia, at least they didn't take the whole "Where am I? ... WHO am I?" route.

Luann

Goddammit, Bernice.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Goddammit, Rocket.

Sally Forth

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Hacks Pissing On People With Actual Talent Crankshaft

"Notice that a hand is depicted in all three panels today. They're even all in different poses. Oh, no, of course I'm not trying to imply anything! I'm just pointing out something weird I noticed." -Batiuk

Phantom Classic

OMG.

First two panels= best two panels.

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man, After Dark

Oh my! :blush:

Sally Forth

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Go choke on a dick, Bernice.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Planning to eat out of a trashcan, but totally not a raccoon!

Sally Forth

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

"The RA has accused you of stealing the TV. You are hereby expelled. This is fitting because you are rumored to have been popular and attractive in high school."

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

whiteyfats posted:

Why is Tiffany the villain in Luann? Because she's pretty and popular?

Exactly. Everybody knows that pretty and popular girls are total bitches. Her popularity is the main reason she only has one friend.

No, really. I'm not kidding.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

I know you don't send raccoons to the pound, but I still hope Rocket gets sent to the pound.

Sally Forth

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

^^I'm thinking the big bucket looking thing is some sort of trashcan liner, and he's just dumping his garbage straight into the can, which will presumably be more difficult to empty/clean later? I'm wondering if disposable garbage bags weren't a big thing in 1955.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

He recovered quickly.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

"Boy I feel so foolish, just like Myrna Loy in The Thin Man!"

If he's never heard of Casablanca, his problem is not that he is a callow youth. "I've never seen it," is way more plausible. But either way, it shouldn't be a sign of a doomed relationship so much as a sign of future movie nights to be enjoyed together.

Luann

I'm not sure how long they've been back from break, but it seems like if her keycard was missing, she'd have noticed by now, right?

The Amazing Spider-Man

It always amazes me when people in superhero universes have any hesitation whatsoever in believing that weird poo poo is going on. In our universe, it makes a lot of sense to persist in believing that this is somebody's weirdo garbage child in an incredibly lifelike raccoon costume rather than a space alien or a hosed up actual raccoon. But this is a universe with gods and talking rock dudes and wizards and molemen and Atlantis and Iron Jonah and poo poo like that. He should have pegged Rocket as Not Human the second he walked in the door with the Parkers.

Sally Forth

Your sister and your infant niece. It's not even like Ralph has done anything obnoxious to you in recent years. Jesus, LuannSal.

• Locked thread