Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year Six (October 3-5, 1955)

It most certainly is not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I love to have a romantic evening out with my wife...resting my gigantic upper lip on the edge of a pint of used dishwater as she lifts her glass of pepto-bismol to her unmoving mouth...

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Slammy posted:

Doings of the Duffs (February, 1918, click for big)

I swear poor Tom is getting shorter and shorter every strip.

Vargo posted:

I don't know if anyone posts Big Nate in this thread anymore, but I like Big Nate, so here's this week's:

Big Nate is okay but the art kind of drives me nuts--Nate's "smugly satisfied" face is the worst.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

"That doesn't make us legally married" wasn't longwinded enough, I presume.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Cosima posted:

What's the story here? Do they know each other?

That's Dawn, Wilbur's daughter (here with her substitute art history professor, in a continuation of a storyline I think everyone thought would be dropped without comment).

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Vargo posted:

Big Nate

ah, there it is, the most punchable face in comics

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

Come on, the Trout Quintet is right there!

ETA: Wallace the Brave is really great and I'm glad it's being posted.

ukonvasara fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 8, 2017

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Pluggers

normally Pluggers has useful lifehacks, but this one is just disgusting

Pluggers are disgusting alcoholics. This checks out.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Are Viivi and Wagner supposed to be in the US?

Does Wagner join a different country's armed forces?

Does the target just assume it's the US because hey some rear end in a top hat bombed us?

LOL @ that lazy rear end plane

They're Finnish. No. Yes. Yes.

good job Curtis

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

It's always hard to tell when he's doing one of these flashback things (or when it's just a rerun) because "seventh-grade" Edda looks exactly the same as adult Edda.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann
Also his name is Jack now? No it's not, it's Jock. gently caress you, Evanses.

I can't possibly be bothered to look this up, but I'm pretty sure before the main characters had actually bothered learning their names they just called him "Jock", and then it turned out his name was "Jack".

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

The characters in old Foob look like lumpy potato people even at the best of times, but the babies are the absolute worst.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Oh, good! For a second there I thought Brad might be a GAY! Happy Pride Month, everyone!

just put Shannon on the couch, you weird idiots

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Goddamn it, that's not a webcomic! Is it so hard to just show Quagmire sitting in front of a computer?

Strontium posted:

ha ha ha, life is suffering

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Mea Culpa posted:

Spirit of the Staircase

Much of the art in this strip is good, but almost all of the characters are just hideous.

Also, this week of outright "[species] has [characteristic]" K&K strips is about the purest Holbrook possible.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Team Evans still thinks colleges ring bells to dismiss classes. I wonder if this place has tardy bells as well.

ETA: We're supposed to see her leaving at the bell as a sign of Irreparable Evil, but seriously. They finished their lab. Who on Earth would stick around (other than Luann) and why?

That, or it's just yet more of Luann being baffled when people are friendly and outgoing instead of cliqueish and spiteful.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

I think my favorite thing about Holbrook art is his complete inability to draw eyes that focus properly.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Strontium posted:

love to go to a sports bar with my wife, order a couple ice-cold pints of meconium, and resent our children

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Honestly, that just makes Schultz sound like an arsehole. Foob characters aged in real time. The dog was going to die. That's built into the premise from the beginning.

The dog died heroically saving April from a flood, not as a natural consequence of aging. It was high melodrama and Schultz was right to troll her.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

So what's the plan here, show up and say "Hi, we saw you got fat, so we brought you a mild sedative, some smug diet lecturing, and a useless idiot"?

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

This kind of incoherent, vaguely internet-related nonsense would maybe be acceptable in, like, 1997, not 2017.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

they need to do way instain holbrook>

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Calaveron posted:

God why is the art on Big Nate so repulsive

THANK YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

readingatwork posted:

One of the things that surprised me about early Charlie Brown is that he's kind of a dick.

That's one of the best parts about early Peanuts: all the kids are fairly equally dicks to each other, and it's genuinely funny! It's really a shame how it gradually morphs into either Snoopy Stands Around Describing Adventures or Everyone, Including the Universe, Openly Hates (Or Is At Least Cruelly Apathetic to) Charlie Brown.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

if you think he's so great maybe you should do him the courtesy of referring to him by the name he prefers, you idiot

what is with these people

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

A Tinkersons with a parent-child interaction that's not centered on the theme of punishment?

I'd say "who is this cartoonist and what has he done to Bettwy" but based on the art it's still him alright.

Hey, it's not always punishment! Sometimes it's just unbridled hatred.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

dismas posted:

I believe it means he was briefly recruited by the Arizona Cardinals (as a player? a coach?)

But it doesn't really make sense. I call the St Louis Cardinals the cards, not the football team.

Yeah, "cup of coffee" usually refers to a very brief stint in whatever the relevant professional league is (as a player). It's not that uncommon to call the Arizona Cardinals "the Cards", either.

My favorite part of this strip is that it continues to deepen the inherent despair of Funky Winkerbean's world from "everyone is still in the same lovely Ohio town where they went to high school" to "they also tried really hard to escape but failed"!

readingatwork posted:

CB fighting back is the kind of thing you just don't see after 1960 or so which is too bad.

1960 on is basically "the learned helplessness years".

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Strontium posted:

Ha ha ha! He's miserable! Ah, what lighthearted japery.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

In the storm of fever-dream nonsense that is every Holbrook strip, it's always nice to have a particularly insane forgotten thing come back to the fore to baffle me anew--in this case, "why on earth does Holbrook think 'is always on a trapeze' is a character trait (1) at all (2) that makes any sense whatsoever?"

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Fear of missing out.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

A good point, illustrated in utterly nonsensical fashion! A nice departure from this comic's normal MO of utter nonsense illustrated the same way.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Well, you're in luck, since your interlocutor here seems to have swiped the non-magnetic side of her own card, rather than doing anything that would take money from you or even her.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

"Humans can't be sorted into binaries!" she says, sitting at a computer doing literally that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Still not touching each other. These strips are creepy.

As the next strip suggests, this is more likely than not because the artist has no idea how to draw human bodies interacting.

• Locked thread