Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Serf posted:

It's like those psychologists back in the like 60s or whatever who were trying to compile a list of all the fetishes. They showed it to a comrade who said "my fetish is everything not on the list". Apparently they gave up after that.

Fetishes are tricky like that, you can actually give yourself a fetish, if for some strange reason you wanted to, through classical conditioning. Although removing one is harder work. This makes compiling a list of all possible fetishes impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

For me hero shooters are all about interesting characters with unique mechanics and hopefully decent game balance.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Overwatch was just me waiting for a successor to TF2 since Valve has decided they didn't need to put in effort on it anymore.

I'm sure Paladins is fine enough, I just don't have time to split my attention on competitive shooters.

Why put in the effort when you can sell haaaaaats.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You mean Pocket OGRE?

Good luck. That edition is reselling at a ridiculous premium and is OOP.

Edit: I mean if you want to take your chances on eBay they start at 17 plus shipping.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 22, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Basically it's like a nine dollar game going for at least twice that used, making it difficult to guarantee you get all the required counters.

Edit: Actual MSRP was 2.95, because Steve wanted to thank everyone for still being interested in his little tank game after all these years, and that was the original price.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 22, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yes, the deluxe version is truly massive and if you're going to play it often was totally worth it. I didn't back because I would have no opportunity to play it for the foreseeable future.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Did they officially axe the aliens plotline for new 7th Sea or have they just not talked about it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

This is what happens when you leave his dog alive.

This just reminded me, in the trailer for John Wick 2 they specifically included shots to let you know the dog from the end of the first one was still alive.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ManMythLegend posted:

It's been a while since I last saw it so I may be misremembering, but isn't there a scene in the first one that shows him burying that dog?

No, you're thinking of Revenge Dog (the one given to him by his dead wife), the one that gets killed at the start of the movie. This is Redemption Dog (the one he saves from being put down), the one at the end of the movie that gives him a reason to keep living. If they have actual names, I can't remember them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

unseenlibrarian posted:

At last, the appropriate way to emulate bees in FFXIV, now in tabletop form.

Oh my god, you're right. I haven't been in a dungeon in that game long enough that I had momentarily forgotten how deadly those things were.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's only a few days into the administration and I'm already terrified and (no joke) want to die. I spend at least part of each day crying and/or screaming.

I have no idea how I'm going to make it through four years of this, but it's not like I've got many options.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think the main problem with Dark Elves is the skin thing, it's not even realistic. Cave dwelling organisms frequently become albinos because producing melanin is actually a disadvantage when there's no sunlight (it wastes resources).

ARB covered the things wrong with the cultural depictions, but making them dark skinned isn't even fantasy racism, it's just straight up racism.

Even if they're pinkish-white and you fixed their culture you could still call them Dark Elves, I mean Forest Elves aren't usually forest colored. For every other instance of Elf subrace it's culture and habitat that define them, not skin color (although they do have skin color variations).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't remember if Dragonlance even has dark elves. The biggest problems with it are the alignment issues noted above, and the fact that the setting's history and plotlines all revolve around the gods of evil tricking the gods of good for the umpteenth time and then the gods of neutrality doing nothing about it despite The Balance Must Be Maintained BS.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey, everybody forgot Eclipse Phase, where it's really hard to permanently die but you can still be killed. Basically (for those not familiar with the game) your character's body, called a morph, is essentially a piece of very expensive equipment. Outside of a few circumstances it's relatively simple to reclaim a dead morph's consciousness and memories, called an Ego in game, and either slot it into a new biological or mechanical body or just have it live in the game's equivalent of the internet for a while if you don't have a body handy.

There's consequences to doing this though, because any time you switch bodies (even to a virtual one) it's a kind of mental shock, especially if you died, and you can go temporarily or permanently crazy from dying a lot unless somebody goes in and erases those memories.

This also happens if somebody manages to erase your current Ego (by completely destroying your Morph, cyberattack, or a few other methods) and they have to restore you from a saved backup, because discontinuity of your life experiences is also psychologically scarring, since you have to adjust to the fact that at the least a version of you really hosed up and died for reals. There are a couple of stories and at least one adventure in EP based around this premise actually, where the PCs have to retrace their steps because they got restored from backup and nobody is sure what happened to them.

edit: And for anybody still concerned about my mental health, I've been undergoing treatment for years now, it's just, you know, not that successful because I'm really messed up and the state of the world and my life isn't doing me any favors. Progress is slow.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 27, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mindjammer is a transhumanist game without body swapping and with more space opera elements.

Edit: personally I recommend the Fate version, but I haven't read the other versions.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 27, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Plutonis posted:

This is the worst opinion I've ever read in this website.

I guess you don't read your own posts then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rockopolis posted:

I remember Please Save My Earth going between interesting and depressing. Did revolve around reincarnation and bad karma, which kind of fits with the earlier question about player character death.

How do you balance the generational game handling of death with the surving characters? A character dies and the party packs it in until the next turn of the wheel? Kill off the entire party if any character dies?
Go full Groundhog Day (or eternal recurrence, if you prefer Nietzche) until the party gets it right or at least develops amor fati.

I would let the dead character's player play a previously minor character or introduce a new one, while letting everybody know that this guy won't get a second chance at this. So while their accomplishments might have meaning, your paths would never cross again. Depending on the goal of the campaign that might even make the rest of the group try harder.

I mean, there's nothing that specifically states in that kind of game that the entire group makes it across the finish line (unless you said so), just that they get to keep trying until they do make it. If you do have to have the original party intact to defeat the final boss (whatever that boss is), it's still worthwhile to try to make it that far to either delay the BBG's plans or try to find a weakness or lay groundwork for another attempt (specific mechanics permitting, if it's Groundhog Day time loop then you can only gather intel).

Of course, this is sidestepped by just making any encounter that is capable of killing a PC be capable of killing ALL PCs in the event that one of them dies, via power up or fiat or making each PC load bearing in that if one falls, the others follow shortly after even if they survive the encounter. If you do this make sure you tell the players beforehand, so they know when to pack it in and when to keep fighting. There's nothing more frustrating than 'winning' a fight you lost if you could have avoided it and actually won if you had just saved the guy that died.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That Old Tree posted:

At first I thought you were talking about Science Ninja Team Gatchaman. Which everyone should watch anyway, so I'm going to pretend you actually did and agree that Condor Joe is the best. Keep pressing that missile button, Joe.

I've only seen a few episodes of Gatchman but Joe really did love firing those bird missiles, didn't he?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bacon Terrorist posted:

New to the forum and fairly new to traditional games, posting to ask for advice. I bought the Cryptozoic Ghostbusters game through the Kickstarter because I'm a Ghostbusters super fan, and playing with one group of friends really got them turned on to board gaming. Recently they proposed us having a semi regular night for board gaming, and last night was it. Unfortunately, last night my friend the host had Doom the board game lined up - it was a lot more complex than anything we had played before so resigned ourselves to try another day and ended up playing Nintendo Monopoly :saddowns:

One game I remember playing as a kid that was awesome is Heroquest but a quick look online suggests that's now something of a collectors item. So what I'm looking for is advice on good games for 4+ players that offer a decent gaming session without being too difficult to pick up: am I right in assuming the more experience you have with different board games the more familiar you become with complex systems?

A lot of board games use similar mechanics, and once you've learned how one example of that works, it's usually pretty easy to adjust to another game that uses the same basic principles.

As for something like Heroquest, while I've never played it the Descent board game is similar in premise, with one antagonist player and several 'hero' players who go on quests, collect loot, and fight monsters.

If you really want to ease people into board games though, it's best to break out the 'classics' of the boardgame renaissance like Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne. Their basic rules are simple, but you can expand upon them by adding optional packs over time to build up complexity.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Saikano isn't even the saddest anime. It's really goddamn sad, but there are other sad anime shows and movies out there. Grave of the Fireflies is one, of course, Now and Then Here and There is another, I can't remember any others off the top of my head because I'm trying not to bum myself out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doodmons posted:

Well that's 2 things to put on my 'never watch' list

Yeah, Grave of the Fireflies is about two kids trying to survive in WW2 Japan, they get orphaned pretty quickly and it only goes downhill from there. Now and Then Here and There would be melancholy if parts of it weren't so incredibly dark.

Evil Mastermind posted:

According to that thing I have a Charisma of 0, but a Constitution of over 24.

That has to be a joke article, those methods for calculating scores all scream "hey neeeeeeerd" to me. Also my Constitution score is like 3, my Dex is negative (by how much I will not say), and my Charisma score is... 6 I think. Unless you count small press newspapers like alumni poo poo, then it's closer to 20.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

remusclaw posted:

Military press is a standing or sitting overhead press, not a reclining or flat back one. These are a decent bit harder. I'm having trouble finding records for he overhead press, but one site had it belong to Ken Patera at 535 lbs, and the bench record at 739 lbs without a bench shirt set by Kirill Sarychev.

Apparently the last olympic record for it was 520 lbs or so, but that was when they discontinued it for being too hard to judge what counted as a 'clean' overhead press, and advances in training and nutrition would certainly give higher numbers today.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Honestly it's not that unusual for RPGs to get what's achievable by humans really wrong in general; I'm reminded of the Steve Jackson Games writing guidelines which ask you to make sure you have a copy of Guinness Book of World Records on hand to reference what a normal person can or can't do. Of course, what's achievable by people with or without enhancement keeps growing and we'll probably continue to be surprised in the future.

Personally, I'm always bugged by Charisma stats - I'm not convinced that there's some nebulous "likability" that doesn't actually relate to one's social skills or appearance. It's fine enough as a summary of one's social skills in games that don't use skills, but if you have a Diplomacy or Persuasion skill, Charisma itself seems superfluous.

Yes, it's kind of funny, in a game like D&D 3.X, they would have been better off having an Appearance score instead.

Of course, if I were going to do something stupid like realign the attributes in D&D, I'd probably have more attributes and some of them would get renamed. Or maybe fewer, I don't know, it would definitely be different because how it's been done for forever is dumb.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

That just reminds me of that Pathfinder dev who was using a mouse with the cord wrapped around his wrist to determine the difficulty of using a cord tied around your weapon's handle to re-equip it.

That reminds me, did that actually make it into the errata or was he, for once, poking fun?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I distinctly remember at least one modern ruleset where a soldier couldn't move at full speed with a typical gear loadout (primary weapon, reloads, survival equipment, etc). Don't remember which one it was

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Serf posted:

*gazes out upon the blasted, cracked wasteland and the smog-choked skies. the shrieking and wailing of the damned is muffled by the thick haze of congealed despair and the only feature upon the desolate landscape is a titanic gold monument that simply reads: 2017*

:same:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ProfessorCirno posted:

I've legit never "clicked" with gnomes and I've never known where to really put them. Outside of 4e gnomes, they have the least traction and the fewest hooks to really utilize.

Yeah, same here. I typically just excise them from a game completely as their roles can be filled by dwarves, halflings, and goblins or kobolds fairly easily. Assuming you're using standard D&D races. If you're not doing that, who gives a poo poo about gnomes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's because they're a mashup of elves and dwarves without any truly distinguishing traits of their own. Like they're kinda tech-flavored and kinda fairy-flavored and different media emphasize one or the other more, but basically they're just somehow even more derivative and boring than vanilla fantasy races already are.

Actually if gnomes were half-dwarf half-elf actually that would give them something special. It would really only work well if you had some kind of tech/magic divide or similar though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Last I heard there was an angel investor going to save the game any day now but they can't manage to scrounge up the capital. I can't believe any company would actually buy Goblinworks or PFO unless they got the video game rights to all of Golarion in the package though, and I doubt Lisa Stevens is willing to give those away just to get this pile of poo poo off of her desk.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I imagine the cat's cradle of code they have would be a nightmare. I mean, these are guys that, last I heard, still couldn't work out how to do enemy line of sight that doesn't pierce obstructions, preventing them from designing any real interior fights.

Well it's Unity... but apparently nobody who worked on PFO had any idea how Unity worked. They probably should have hired programmers with actual Unity experience instead of whoever the hell they did (I'm assuming Dancey cronies who couldn't hack it at CCP).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

potatocubed posted:

...I have no idea how Unity works, but I knew how to do raycasting LOS after about ten hours of poking. Like, that's not even 'didn't know Unity'. That's 'how do I turn on glowing box'.

We're talking about people who were using procedural generation for a map, decided it was too resource intensive (for something in an MMO you'd do ONCE) and then switched halfway in the process to hand placing assets. Which somehow led to rivers that literally just stopped, water hovering in midair.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Basically if Goblinworks actually spent any money on PFO beyond a stock license for their game engine I'd be really loving surprised. I'm guessing most of the KS funds they raised they blew on fancy chairs and parties or whatever, they certainly didn't spend it on hiring a competent team with shipped MMO experience.

Edit: I just thought of another possibility, a pretty shady one. Since it technically wasn't Paizo making it they could have charged a licensing fee to let Paizo just pocket as much of the KS funds as they wanted and be in the clear if any legal entanglements happened. I mean this whole time they've been trying to get a real company to bankroll it instead of themselves, Paizo has never had that kind of money or expertise to make even a single player game, so why try to go pie in the sky and develop an MMO in house unless they were utterly incompetent or up to something unethical.

I know, it's Ryan Dancey, it could have been either, or both.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 5, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't Stevens pretty wisely cordon off Goblinworks so that nothing bad that happens to them affects Paizo? I don't know if Dancey was even on Paizo's payroll.

I thought that this was another WCW situation, where they had a potential investor who lost interest as soon as he got a good look at their situation. Which is fitting, because Ryan Dancey is actually the Vince Russo of tabletop games.

Nah, it's not a WCW thing with Newcorp. Supposedly Newcorp is a current player of PFO.. they just can't get together the money needed to actually buy it. I'm guessing Paizo is at least expecting market value for the server hardware and software licenses, but who knows how much they paid for hardware. I can't imagine they just rented their hardware from a third-party datacenter, if that was the case they'd have certainly been shut down by now from operating costs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I did some reading about PFO during Dancey's ignoble reign, and apparently people discovered that due to the way item deterioration worked, if you didn't give a poo poo about advancing your character for a few weeks (alignment), you could keep murdering another player until they were essentially naked (every time you died there was a chance some of your equipment was just gone, and the rest of it took a durability hit. There was no way to repair items, and once they hit 0 durability, they were destroyed).

This was relatively simple to do, as all you had to was gank someone, run over to the respawn point for the area, and then repeat, because the only no-PVP areas were the towns and you didn't respawn in town unless you were really close to one. Instead of actually changing any of this (random item loss on death, durability able to hit zero from dying, objects being destroyed upon hitting zero durability, no repair system, no PVP grace period, respawn zones not protected) Dancey merely made a post on the forums that amounted to "Please don't do that" with zero threat of enforcement behind it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The game Dancey continually pitched required double the money he managed to gather if not more just to reach a feature complete state, let alone optimized or playable. This is assuming he had somehow managed to hire a game development team for peanuts that knew what they were doing, an art team that knew how to work within the limitations of the engine, and a lead designer who could make loving miracles happen because the list of features included things that just plain weren't possible using middleware alone.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. It's not that you can't use the OGL, but more that it's wildly impractical and probably not worth the effort.

There's nothing stopping you from writing your source code properly, but you also then have to make all your mechanics available in the human readable format in some fashion anywhere it uses Open Content. It's really not worth the effort and there are certainly more elegant mechanical solutions available than anything you'd use from the OGL when you're writing code for a game.

Hell, the first Dragon Age was practically variant D&D as is and they didn't use any kind of license. You can't copyright mechanics so as long as you don't put dice rolling on the screen or use any actual IP (certain monsters, locations, NPCs, and spell names) you could rip off 3.X wholesale when building a computer game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's not even an original piece of artwork, they just swiped it off some guy's deviantart and ran it through a filter!

Somehow that makes me angrier than somebody making a card for a game with that nazi's name on it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Personally, I liked the one where the audience became champion, then immediately lost it due to being counted out of the ring.

The fact that three different ladders have won, and at times successfully defended the title amuses me. Also the fact that the belt has not only been the champion of itself, but it has also been won and lost by an entirely imaginary wrestler named Arnold Skeskejanaker.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

How do you remove a goon from your buddy list? Added someone on accident.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member2.php?action=viewlist&userlist=buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Everything I've heard about 5e indicates I wouldn't like it, but there are people who do. It's not like Mearls et al is going around and killing the pets of every player who didn't switch to 5e, so I don't see why the game can't have a civil discussion thread here on the forums. For better or worse, it's the current edition of Dungeons & Dragons, and it's where a lot of new players are going to start getting involved in the hobby.

If that means a few bad actors need to eat some probations, that's fine by me.

• Locked thread