Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I was devastated when the goldfish someone foisted on me as a surprise birthday gift died. (As a grown-rear end man, mind, I don't mean when I was a kid.) I'd be ruined.

On the other hand, I really miss having animals around. It's a moot point at the moment since my apartment doesn't allow pets, but I'm probably moving out next summer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm okay with players existing in a world where there are some things so big they can't knock them over. That's not to say that metaplot never sins but I'm not sure I'm 100% on board with the alternative some of you have suggested.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I mean, I'm okay with something along the lines of "Legend of the Five Rings proceeds on the assumption that the players haven't personally murdered the Emperor." If it's basically just a "main" timeline that you can branch off of whenever you want, combined with retroactive explanations for rules changes, I don't see the problem. Doubly so if the designers are deliberately framing it in those terms and you're encouraged to use "What if NPC X didn't do Y because the players merked them" as a jumping off point for alt histories.

(This is just an example, I have only the barest familiarity with L5R, if it's actually loaded down with unkillable NPCs who do absolutely everything of importance please don't take this as an endorsement, etc.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Clans loving wish they were the Mongol Horde

they're more like fat Mongol Horde cosplayers who are also furries, and were grown in a vat

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Covok posted:

Ever notice there isn't a lot of settings based on Greek mythology despite that being the cornerstone of western civilization's culture and a shared touch stones for most western nations?

There was a lot of implicit support for Greek mythology-based campaigns in earlier editions of D&D. The second edition Monster Manual in particular is, like, 1/3 Greek mythological monsters by volume.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

oriongates posted:

Why not "Power Attack", "Super Attack" or "Hyper Attack" or something.

Because none of those names tell you anything, except that it's "an attack, but more so." I'm not sure what you're suggesting they replace but it'd be more confusing than anything he's shared already.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm still struggling with the idea that Final Fantasy isn't anime tiddies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've juggled GMing + law school and the way I did it was I picked a system that rewarded improv, did very little prep (mostly encounter design), and our sessions only lasted two hours. That allowed me to do it weekly. If I'd had a more reliable group I might have done longer, more prepared sessions once a month but with the group I actually had I feel like that would have resulted in people drifting off and forgetting the game existed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

what IS Pathfinder's stance on slavery

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

Brain eating parasitic monsters that vary in appearance based on host?
They kind of act like white people? :bahgawd:

oh man i am totally stealing Good Old Fashioned Mind Flayer Hospitality next time I run something in D&D proper

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Law-Chaos isn't any less dumb than Good-Evil. If you aren't building elaborate anthropological justifications for all your NPCs' cultures, why are you even in this hobby? :getin:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

This is why ethically sourced skeletons are important, people.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Beholders don't poop and reproduce by dreaming so I am very afraid of what that orifice could be for.

Propulsion.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

What's wrong with Royalist Dragons and Anarchist Dragons? :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I bet you could run a pretty good sentai game in Fellowship, or something similarly structured.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ShitheadDeluxe posted:

What's 28mm in model train scale? O?

This conversation might be useful to you: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=237077

I know nothing about it myself, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the real answer is simulationism is poop from a butt and designing a game as a game is a good thing in itself

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Actually, mechanics meant to model the actual fantasy world you're playing in are good.

if you must do this you should probably do it in a game that isn't completely wedded to a wargame framework

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm not against flavor and mechanics being in sympathy, but i'm for it only insofar as good flavor is a tool for making mechanics clearer and easier to use; people understand what a fireball or a massive overhead sword swing do, which is easier to remember and use tactically than a mere abstract application "everything on these squares changes this number by this much"

so yes, it's good to say "daily powers are too taxing to use more often" but don't put the cart before the horse

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

But 4E works fine.

I agree, and there's no contradiction in that statement with what I've said.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 4e doesn't know what a falchion is.

It's like a shamsir but different

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

So, what are some really Rogue-Like RPGs? Games that have high randomness and permadeath? Playing Traveler and rolling for all or most of the planets and encounters? Having to create fresh characters when the old ones bite it?

I'm told that Gamma World, at least in some editions, is pretty much designed for this. Your characters are super-disposable (and easily/quickly replaced) and at least partly randomly generated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The coolest thing about the Genesis game is the hidden plot to blow up the nuclear power plant and turn Seattle into a radioactive wasteland that you only even learn about if you gently caress around in totally optional corners of some of the megacorps' networks and follow the clues you find

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm glad i got out of magic when i did; the rules went to poo poo, they banned the core card of my favorite archetype, the stuff i had was still worth enough that i made about as much money selling it as i did buying in, and CCGs in general are kind of exploitative bullshit and physical card games doubly so

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"No game is perfect," is a poor excuse for not trying, you should criticize the gently caress out of games, and while the cooperative and human-adjudicated nature of RPGs means you can't be quite as 100% "go ahead, try and break the game if you can, if you manage it then the game sucks" as you could with a video game, developers, and to a lesser extent GMs, still have a responsibility to shape the player experience and design systems that don't fall apart under pressures that they themselves incentivized.

But you probably shouldn't be arguing about design theory in the middle of a session, especially if it's disrupting other players' experience. You can be completely correct about everything and still be an rear end in a top hat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

gourdcaptain posted:

True, although when I've participated in playtests for systems under development (mostly Strike) I tend to go full ridiculous with the rules discussion and exploitative builds so they'll get patched. There are several abilities in games that are now twice as long textwise just to prevent stuff I did in playtests occurring ever again.

Yeah playtests are a whole different story, in that case you should stress test potential problems even if they're probably beyond the scope of the game itself to address, just in case you maybe find a way that does work.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's almost impossible to answer that without knowing what you're trying to achieve.

Systems that apply penalties when you're wounded tend to promote rocket tag and make getting the first hit (or the first serious hit, anyways) more important than making consistently significant decisions / lucky strikes in across the entire fight. I think most people would see this as a negative, but if you want combat to be brief, lethal, and incentivize players to avoid it without ruling it out or completely abstracting it, maybe it's a positive.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So The Boss Baby is basically the exact same as Demon: The Descent when you think about it

Nice try, but you're not going to convince me to watch Boss Baby.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

One of my players has taken to writing down all his rolls and giving us a hit percentage breakdown after every combat. Trying to decide whether I ask him to stop or give him post-battle rankings like in Bayonetta.

Rank him on style like DMC, just to gently caress with him.

Also Legends of the Wulin sounds awesome.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Only finding out at the end of combat that you're missing an arm seems counter to the goal of having interesting, dynamic fights.

Only if you want a very fine-grained relationship between combat and narrative. I'm totally fine with "let's play an abstract minigame and then decide what it represents in the story" if the abstract minigame is good and eventually feeds interesting raw material into the narrative.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Change it to World of Dorkness

"Mage Chat"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There has to be some system out there actually designed for playing Shadow of the Colossus / Horizon Dawn Zero / etc. "Hunting giant monsters" is just too obvious of a niche to pass up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

This gets discussed every few months. It doesn't really exist cause Dark Souls/Monster Hunter/other pattern recognition based action games don't translate well into turn based tabletop games.

That's because "pattern recognition-based action games" is a completely rear end-backwards way of approaching it. Trying to recreate the gameplay of those games is both probably a lost cause just in and of itself, and even harder because most people don't really have the kind of comprehensive understanding of how the guts of those games really work to translate them properly even if it were possible or desirable.

What I'm after is much simpler: a game about climbing up on top of something that wants to eat you and stabbing it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also just generally I refuse to believe that turn-based tabletop is necessarily limited to points along a straight line from "no real rules" to "rules for Chainmail."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Actually randomly failing every action sucks in RPGs too, people are just accustomed to it, and the need for a fair, non-human-adjudicated dispute resolution system is harder to implement in a game moderated by a GM than it is in a game moderated by an inflexible but impartial computer.

Randomness is "fair" in the sense that it doesn't favor one player over another and also frequently serves as a gloss over shallow mechanics -- it takes much longer to "solve" a system with a random component, even if the correct decision is a total no-brainer, because randomness obscures feedback and muddies the association between using the correct strategy and success.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 12, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Also I don't know how to make things like single Athletics or History Lore rolls into luckless ventures outside of like, fast dexterity challenges like Speed Jenga or balancing 10 differently sized dice for 10 seconds lol

Some things just aren't important enough to the focus of the game to receive effort- or time-expensive resolution systems. v:shobon:v

For games that do implement randomness I'm partial to things like miss tokens and bennies, where randomness is a fallback system, a backup for a give and take economy between players and the GM.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Randomness is such a big part of RPGs that I can't even remember a videogame RPG that has no RNG or something of the like. Even actiony ones like the Witcher and the like have them for some features.

I can think of a lot of video game RPGs (roguelikes, especially) where the first systems you're introduced to -- the ones that control the early game -- are heavily random, but the more you advance the more you find deterministic systems that allow you to nearly or sometimes even completely suppress randomness.

(Or, similarly, raise the floor of the random range so high that you can still succeed/survive and go on to win even in a worst case scenario -- a situation that's still random but where the randomness is effectively meaningless.)

Of course, this is more of an accident than a design feature, but it's kind of cool watching games stumble onto better design unawares. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

that doesn't really jive with the fact, however unfortunate, that most people got into the hobby through D&D

what i suspect is actually happening is the people who want a storygame-like experience just bounce off of D&D in the first place and, as a result, don't get into tabletop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Board games last hours, tabletop RPGs last months.

(Unless they're one-shots, and one-shots can be a fairly alien concept in their own right.)

• Locked thread