Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Countblanc posted:

*walks onto stage, taps mic, clears throat loudly*nal

Monstersharts.

Finally, a game about mutant deer.

Ewen Cluney posted:

The key to understanding BESM is knowing that Mark MacKinnon loves Amber Diceless and doesn't believe that game designers have any power to help with things like game balance.

Asimo posted:

Well that explains a whole hell of a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Change it to World of Dorkness

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

Into The Odd?

Wow, Into The Odd is p. much my favorite one shot game and I never would have guessed based on that description. Good job.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Exotic Weapon: Oral Flamethrower

Er, where exactly would an oral flamethrower draw it's oxygen supply from? Because it seems like such a device might suffocate the user very quickly.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Plutonis posted:

The draconic gallbladder

They probably don't tell you this until after the first operation.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Geometry is Euclidian. You can't have non-Euclidian geometry.

Someone has never had to answer a maths question that began with the phrase, "Describe a universe"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

Shaped like a dry toilet, filled with snakes

And that, my friend, is how you get parallel lines to intersect. Lots and lots of snakes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Are these the rumored 'rules of nature'?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Most of the tabletop people don't really talk about board games much, as made obvious by how rarely board games come up in the chat thread.

My real life friends discuss board games with me. But I'm the only GM I know In real life.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Mr.Misfit posted:

Perception shapes Reality, and in games the way something is worded shapes play and perception. Thus, names for things are important, and more often than not help focus something, which is why the base attribute line is so decried lately. It doesn´t tell one anything new about the character, only perceivable, but rather unimportant statistical data.

But how would perception change if we renamed the base attributes? Would the problem persist or would it add both flavor and add to, albeit differently, the mechanical expression?

Example:
Strength -> Brutality
Dexterity -> Grace
Intelligence -> Slyness
Willpower -> Ruthlessness

Or is such a reskin entirely pointless and more of a personal flavour than anything?

Wording is important, (see current discussion in the industry thread), but that's not the reason I dislike attributes in D&D. They were designed top down, but then treated like they're all of equal importance.

Also, John Wick is going to want those attribute names back.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

I thought it was more "John Wick the game designer likes to use overwrought stat names"

It's been awhile since I read Houses of the Blooded but I vaguely remember "grace" and "slyness" actually being attribute names.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Plutonis ran a Final Fantasy Tactics in Strike! game that me and several other people played in. It was more silly FFTA2 adventures than serious political stuff, and was super fun. It was also the only goon game I've ever been in that managed a full campaign with basically the same people.

I was hoping for some serious political stuff starring Nu Mou and Moogles.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's depressing to think that there are still GMs out there who'd make people roll for simple tasks where failure wouldn't have any immediate consequence.

As someone who learned to play with 3rd edition D&D, it did not teach GMing very well at all. It took me over a decade to become competent.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

What sort of prep work would you do for a Cthulhu Dark session?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

neaden posted:

Here is the designers guide to scenario creation. You can also lots of existing CoC or ToC scenarios. So long as they don't rely on combat they should be fairly easy to convert.

I had read that before, but I'm not sure I totally grasp it. Could you give a brief example of part of an adventure run in this style?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

They better play up that title for all it's worth. Looking forward to assembling Noah's magic space ark. Or possibly going to a wizard party?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Screw being an adventurer, I'm going to be a trader. This hometown style smoked bacon is selling like hotcakes!

Edit:
And also with hotcakes. A little invention I like to call the breakfast combo.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 11, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Holy Moley, the authors met at an Arby's. They named one of their cities Applewood, because they met in an Arby's, didn't they?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Barudak posted:

Neat, something they meant to fix made it to the final version because I got a good feeling in my bones something written somewhere else in the tome contradicts it.

The book is 450 pages long. It's probably contradicted multiple times.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

No loving way.

How the hell does Gygax fit in to the unabomber? Did he visit Berkeley often or something?

Presumably, the unabomber was a war gamer. Gygax did a lot of stuff in the war gaming community in the early era. I mean, he started gencon.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

hyphz posted:

What's different is how easy or hard it is to avoid being an rear end in a top hat.

D&D and its ilk make it nice and clear. I'm not an rear end in a top hat for putting you against this dragon, the book says you're the right level for it. I'm not an rear end in a top hat for rolling the huge damage the dragon does, it's in the book. I'm not an rear end in a top hat that you all got killed, Mike Mearls is an rear end in a top hat for giving dragons stupidly low CRs. But I'm in the clear and don't have to worry about my rear end in a top hat threshold every moment I'm running.

This is an interesting point.

The reason I stopped GMing 3rd ed was one too many TPKs in written adventures. I said to myself, I can do better for my players than this. It's the system (or potentially the adventure) that makes me an rear end.

I don't think I've ever met a player who accurately expressed to me that they were scared of a system, but a lot of online focus seems to be on bad GMs.

"Where did I learn it? I learned it from you, D&D!"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hyphz, what would you advocate regarding furthering the development of nonrule modules?
Do you think that games like FATE and AW would benefit from having 'adventures', or does the fundamental difference in game style prevent that from being useful?
And how do we maintain quality within modules for D&D when the majority of people interested in design criticism probably aren't going to look at them?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

hyphz posted:

It is a philosophical difference, but I don't really see it as "having difficulty" more than just "not wanting" to play that kind of system. Which is fine, but that category of players aren't getting a whole lot of love from RPG designers at the moment, which is why they're stagnating on stuff like 5e and PF. I mean, I have a group playing PF at the moment, I'm playing along, I'm not a great fan of the system, I'd really like to try something else but one of the other players who hasn't run before wants to GM and I can't deny the fact that 5e plus a module is much easier to GM than everything else.

What sort of 'love' do you want from game designers? How is it different from what the OSR is doing?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

You play Nintendo and don't like Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, I have a design question, about MDA framework.

Let's say I have identified an aesthetic to shoot for. How do I most easily determine what mechanics to use to point at that aesthetic?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Fate fractals always seemed like a golden opportunity to dive up your own rear end. I'm not saying a lot of people do that, but the system certainly supports it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I thought it was because they contain all the special moves (or plays) your character can do, like a sports team's playbook.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

We should be slagging off on Poser instead; there is no good poser art.

Are there any bad RPGs with poser art though? Don't answer that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there still a Paranoia thread floating around? Searching on mobile is a pain.

If not, let's talk about Paranoia. I might be running the Robot Imana-665-C mini adventure from the 25th Anniversary book because I ran it years ago and it's nice and simple. It will be a one shot while our regular GM is out of town, and I'll have premade, mostly random character sheets with a mutant power and a secret society. Most of the players might not catch on to the adversarial nature right away so I likely won't bother with the uh... jobs? Whatever they're called in the book, like the person who stops everything to force everyone to do an equipment check in the middle of a firefight.

I'll also have a stack of index cards and heavily encourage sneaky backstabs.

Mandatory Bonus Duties are important because it's a public character identity, and in turn gives them the chance to take certain actions without suspicion. This is especially useful if players are used to game like D&D where they have classes or such.

Otherwise, I suggest introducing the roles organically during the mission. Who am I supposed to give these grenades?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Ennie nominees are up, and believe it or not there's only one WotC product and one Paizo produce nominated across all categories. I think that may be a first.

How many WOTC products actually came out in the year? 4 probably?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

If your simulationist game can't handle fail forward, then your random encounter chart doesn't have enough bears isn't robust enough.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This looks pretty cool!

I highly recommend it. It's my goto for quick dungeon crawls.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so, genuine question

what's the best RPG for running a setting primarily inspired by Heavy Metal, 2000AD, Berserk, and Manowar album covers

I'm thinking Shadow of the Demon Lord, DCC or LotFP

Not LotFP, the characters are too dirtfarmer for what you would want to do.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

6mm is really tiny, I feel like wooden letter blocks would be better?

E: Or scrabble tiles

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 11, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

hyphz posted:

What do people use for creating dungeon maps nowadays? All the mappers I can find either focus on overland maps, are massively overblown (CC3) and/or ancient, or are extremely lazy and focus only on drag-and-drop tiles. It's rather sad to say that the DROD editor still makes better maps more easily than most map makers, which is a bit of a shame. Has there been any innovation there?

What is your criteria for the dungeon?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, my standard is iff dungeon is small enough to fit on my 1" square grid paper do it by hand.
If not use Dave's mapper.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Is there really no thread for "The One Ring", or am I bad at reading the forums?

I distinctly remember discussing it with Effectronica, in this thread. So, no, there is no thread.

:justpost:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Which is more important fashion sense or technology level?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

A part of me still wants to play the WLD all the way through, but... "super sucks" really covers it. Hoo boy is there a lotta bad going on there.

For more games that aren't D&D, Unknown Armies 2E has a campaign-length module (To Go), although it has some railroading problems.

I'd love to read a F&F of this, but presumably it would be pretty tedious to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Len posted:

A guy I used to work with needed to fix the ac in his house and sold two pops to pay for it.

Two pops to fix a central air unit seems insane to me.

I never imagined that funkopops would be a vital part of the post apocalyptic barter economy, but here we are.

• Locked thread