Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In order to be an anime game, it has to have anime/manga style art, and also has to explicitly tell you that it is an anime game. The Japanese printings of D&D for instance are not anime games because they only fulfill one of these clauses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think the second clause is likely more important than the first, but people have argued to me that Miyazaki movies aren't really anime because they are good, so gently caress if I know. Maybe another clause is that they have to be bad to be anime.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Serious post. It's anime if that's how you picture it in your minds eye. Anime is about as descriptive a term as cartoon.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ewen Cluney posted:

There was also the thing that MacKinnon fought tooth and nail against switching to a roll-over mechanic for BESM until David L. Pulver grabbed him, sat him down, and forced him to play out a combat with two guys with really high combat stats to see how miserable it was. Of course, that only happened in 3rd Edition, which only saw a limited print run because White Wolf rescued it from the dumpster fire that was Guardians of Order going out of business.

If the general concept of BESM as a relatively light universal RPG with anime flair appeals to you, then OVA is by far the better choice. OTOH I've realized that if you want to do anime-inspired RPG stuff, the thing to do is to stop thinking of anime as "special" and just sit down an analyze it like you would any other source material. It's also good to not limit yourself to anime for inspiration, especially since the better anime creators aren't doing that either.

Out of curiosity, what is it that make OVA so capable as an anime game as opposed to something like GURPS, Mutants and Masterminds, or FATE?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was just trying to cover bases on relatively open systems by using those. More, what I am asking is what makes it a better anime game than whatever your favorite system happens to be. What about the rules makes it particularly anime?

Edit: Is OVA a good game, anime aside?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 9, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I have heard bad things about D20 Weird Wars II but if you can handle Savage Worlds, the Weird War II book looks very complete and has a sizable collection of vehicles in it. Honestly from a quick look you could easily ignore the supernatural aspect if you wanted.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The recent posts have given me an idea on using flanking in d20 while using somewhat more abstract positioning such as range bands or even full theatre of the mind.

What do you think of simply attributing flanking to any enemy that has been attacked previously in the round? It would likely require rogue style characters to hold moves until later in the round rather than going first, but it would also allow for flanking bonuses from ranged attacks, and I cant remember if that was a thing you could do in the base rules. Obviously it would be more of a simulation of being overwhelmed than a simulation of being surrounded, but as those overlap I think its a good replacement, no?

Alternatively, you could expand flanking to include attacks in the previous round as well, though that would likely result in permanent flanking effects. Perhaps also a out via movement, where the flanked creature re-positioning itself would result in the loss of the flanking bonuses?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 14, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rogues are supposed to be opportunists, so it'd be nice if flanking encouraged switching your targets up instead of making focus fire (which is already good by default in almost any game) even better.

Similarly, being flanked is at least nominally a failure state; it means you screwed up your positioning somehow and the enemy took advantage. It'd be good if that were modeled somehow.

(Sorry I don't have more helpful suggestions, I was just immediately worried about the "attacked in the previous round" idea.)

Just throwing ideas out there. I don't particularly like attacks from the previous round activating flanking but also know that Skirmisher types like the rogue are also likely to be high on the initiative order and don't really like the idea of them having to delay actions every combat. I am also loath to gimp any thoughts I might have on Rogues in a D20 style system as it is unlikely even a big boost will make them particularly great as compared to playing other classes.

Also, flanking is pretty much how focus fire works in 3. games isn't it? Everyone gets the flanking bonus, Rogues just get more on top of it. Switching up targets sounds interesting, but really doesn't work with flanking as we know it because flanking is for everyone, the rogue just boosts it with their sneak attack ability.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 14, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's both really. The intent was to model flanking better for non mini's play, but also in a slightly less in depth way than the previous poster did. The rogue just comes into it because it is the class that most relies on it, and as such would need the most thought for how the new system effects it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you're talking bout Glorantha, there's a thread for that!
Archived unfortunately, but still a good read.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577837

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What you have is something of a prequel setting to classic Glorantha. The Lunar Empire is a 3rd age thing. From what I understand, 2nd age is good, but there is a lot more content for the Third age, which has existed in gaming form since the 70's. Really cool stuff, but has a rep as being very dense and hard to get into. Had a huge two volume Guide to Glorantha Kickstarted a few years back.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Mystara is The Best or, failing that, certainly better than FR and Dragonlance.

Descriptions of elves in D&D books mostly describe them as like, super whimsical and sentimental like they are in Tolkien's Fellowship. Hugo Weaving Vulcan is how they're always actually written, though. It's weird as hell.

For all that Dragonlance has wrong with it, Dark Elves there are just evil Elves. Dalamar is a Dark Elf because he is a Black robed Mage dedicated to evil wizardy, not because of his skin color or a cultural tenancy to bondage and spiders.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's pretty Runequest as is.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mr.Misfit posted:

The strength calculation is even worse than the wisdom, as a well-maintained human can actually do well and easily bench press up to a 100kgs.
I mean, I can, and I´ve only recently upgraded from couch potato, and I should not have a strength value of 20. Not even close to it.
But I suppose, just like the thing about nerds and reality, not something you ever want.

Military press is a standing or sitting overhead press, not a reclining or flat back one. These are a decent bit harder. I'm having trouble finding records for he overhead press, but one site had it belong to Ken Patera at 535 lbs, and the bench record at 739 lbs without a bench shirt set by Kirill Sarychev.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 29, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

How are the Labyrinth Lord rules? Are they anything like OSR?

Labyrinth Lord is Moldvay basic D&D with some extrapolation in order to bring it up to high levels as the Moldvay basic game originally did not get its third and final volume. It has two pretty good supplements that add AD&D and OD&D classes, spells, and monsters, for people who want to play with stuff from those games using the Moldvay basic rules.

In general, what makes it better than Rules compendium basic is that the levels aren't so spread out and as such Thieves, while still awful, are no where near as bad as they are in the later set. Rules Compendium/Mentzer basic spreads out thief skill gains for 36 levels and in Labyrinth Lord/Mentzer they top out at 14th.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 13, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

That got me thinking:

1. Are there any games that allow or expect you to play more than one character at a time?

2. Has anyone ever tried to deliberately play a game where a player controlled more than one character at a time, even for a game that didn't specifically support it?

If I were to get roped into running D&D 5th or 3.5/Pathfinder again, this would be my solution to the class power disparity issue. I would have each player play both a caster and a non caster. I don't always have a ton of players on hand so in old school D&D I often just let people play more than one character anyway. Most people are fine doing so.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 21, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Plutonis posted:

the only complaint I have about Strike is that I like big numbers and it uses small numbers

Add a bunch of zero's to the end of everything like in a modern pinball machine.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

So most Catalyst era Shadowrun art I see is dudes in leather jackets and drab AAA gaming asthetics, why aren't they going full neon again when people are into Perturbator and Drive and all that?

RPG's are at least 10 years behind the culture curve. When did the OSR start? That was us hitting 70's nostalgia finally. I started gaming at a local store pretty recently and aside from having better phones, these folk are making the same jokes and telling the same gaming stories I heard a decade ago. They were playing the same games too, D20 everything.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 3, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

It really is strange that the idea of asking "so what am I actually supposed to do in your game and/or setting?" is relatively recent.

e: I mean, there was a Starship Troopers RPG and an Aliens RPG. What the hell are you supposed to do in those except shoot aliens and get killed?

I think it's not that the question is recent and more that any real attempt to answer it is. Most old games just sort of assumed you would know what to do with it, after all the people who made it got by just fine. By the way, here are about 500 new rules covering literally everything anyone can do ever, that we included mostly just to fill pages.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

A lot of writers engage human tragedy badly. It's a reason to do better, not a reason to avoid the topic.

So, who's trying to do better? Because what this seems to be about is the people who want to continue engaging human tragedy badly.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I guess it wasn't clear from my initial posts, but my beef is engaging the posters who say 'just don't depict slavery in fantasy at all', not the people who say it's done badly.

On that front, if the writer doesn't have anything interesting to say about slavery, why should they include it?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

In terms of setting writing? To have ready made villains for player character to oppose, imo.

Basically this.

I suppose then that the game is specifically about fighting the slavers. I would assume then that that is at least one of the most important parts of the setting and is that the institutions of slavery and slavers are explicitly the antagonist. Putting that aside, why include slavery if it isn't one of core aspects of what you are writing about?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 9, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Why include brutal warlords in a setting not wholly and specifically about fighting brutal warlords? A setting can have multiple ready made villains.

So the answer is basically "Why not?"? If you don't have a defensible reason for doing something, and are challenged on that something, I am more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the folks who will argue from a position they are passionate about than a side who argues from "why not?" And that is not to say that "Why not?" is indefensible, just that it is by far the weakest argument for something that people take issue with.

I mean, do whatever, why not? But when people have issues with it, "why not?" isn't good enough anymore, you need something stronger.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Uh, my counter here is 'why throw it out'? What is particularly bad about the human tragedy of slavery that it must not be engaged, compared to war/murder/tyranny ect?

I don't think it must not be engaged, but I think that the people who have issue with it should be engaged with. What is so important about it that it must be maintained, and fought for, as a usable concept?

When it comes down to it, the argument against slavery in gaming has people jumping up to defend it. Why? It's not like they couldn't just ignore the people calling them out and just keep doing what they are doing. They feel a need to engage that has to go deeper than "Why not?" or they would't feel such a need to engage. Is it just a censorship thing? If so, why not defend it that way? Why, for instance, do people(not you as far as I can tell), go all apologetic on ancient slavery as opposed to American chattel slavery when defending it?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

S.J. posted:

I mean, I still disagree. I believe war/etc are personal and private tragedies writ large, which is why slavery and rape is so unnecessary for the kinds of analogy focused story telling that fantasy provides. It's already covered in such a way that it's easier to distance from emotionally (generally speaking, of course).

I think it mostly comes down to the fact that we are still willing as a society to accept that violence is necessary and sometimes justifiable, where we are often not like that anymore with slavery and rape. I have experience with people who are still willing to justify slavery and rape in such a way, and they are not pleasant to deal with but they used to have far more company than they do now.

If, utopia of utopia's, we move on in the future to a place where violence is no longer treated as an acceptable answer to certain questions, it is entirely likely that depictions of violence in fiction and in gaming will come under similar mass scrutiny.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah I kinda take issue with the idea that when and how certain evils should be depicted is an 'unnecessary intellectual exercise'.

Yeah, Jessica Price did not imply that this stuff isn't worth discussing or debating, just that she would limit herself to doing so with people she knew and could trust to be respectful of her when doing so, and rightly so. It has to be loving exhausting to be called on to personally brain fight every single fucker who takes a position opposite yours.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Covok posted:

Djanjo Unchained is an attempt by someone outside of the group to write and create a revenge fantasy for people of a group. Same thing with Inglorious Bastards, really.

Tarantino makes exploitation cinema, but going one step further, he does it while not being of the exploited class.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

This
https://storify.com/flatvurm/jessica-price-on-toxicity-in-geek-spaces
and this
https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/839754651230601216

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Why? Isn't this just reified xenophobia, presenting the status quo of humans as the only way to exist that doesn't turn into a nightmare?

Well what is that terrifying otherness that makes us re-imagine our place in the universe other than reified xenophobia? It's not like we have actual alien beings to compare ourselves too. Whether we ought or not, we don't look at the depths of the ocean and all the creatures there and say, "What godless universe wrought such terror!" The closest we have to the other, the plants and animals we live with on this planet, we either classify as food, pet, too dangerous to pet, too ugly to pet, too wet to pet, etc... We anthropomorphize the other we do have access to and we otherize human beings. Even the truly alien things we like to imagine are born from the twisted minds of authors we love are not truly alien, we extrapolate from Earth life, because from where else can we?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 10, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Uh, fear isn't the only kind of transcendental experience, my dude.

Well my head was in Lovecraft land when writing that post for reasons I cannot ascertain, especially as I was responding to a discussion about Elves. That said, I think I have a point about otherness as it has to do with life forms.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Elves just strike me as usually just being Superior Huu-mans, like either they're enlightened immortals on a mountain or noble savages in a forest, but they feel like nothing more than a specific fantasy of an idealized humanity to me. Their immortality is about the only thing that significantly sets them apart, but the potential ramifications of it are usually just handwaved away.

Fantasy races always end up being forehead aliens or animals, regardless of the shape they take. The prior uses the alien as a stand in for other cultures or subcultures and the latter obviously. What is the titular "Alien" aside from a combination of traits seen in some of the less cuddly animals we share this space with? The Dwarf as the working class bloke is constantly at odds with the stuffy Elves who live uptown.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 10, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

the former seems perfectly fine

If kept to a reasonable level of GURPSplexity.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So basically the way to fix GURPS so people don't react violently to it is to rename Lite to Basic and Basic to Advanced?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One should never expect there to be enough table top fans around to sell a video game, especially when that game is pretty much the anthropomorphic personification of a split fanbase.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I always did find it a bit odd that the term Tank was so focused on the defensive aspect when they are essentially mobile artillery. Makes more sense with the longer history of the term.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 3, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Until I joined the Army and got myself a computer the only RPG's I had ever seen in the wild was D&D and WEG Star Wars. When I was gifted some AD&D 1st edition books at Christmas one year I noticed that there was some rules that were different in the those books but just used the stuff I liked with my second edition game, thinking that they were just optional rules.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Not that it matters much but The Design Mechanism game that became Mythras was referred to as Runequest 6.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

There's a pretty good montage that I can't find at the moment (phone posting) that goes through all the versions of RQ that have homages to that cover. It's funny to see the woman go from wearing basically a chain mail bikini to something way more tolerable over time.

Chaosium's 1st and second edition cover is actually really good armor wise on the cover warrior for the genre. It's Games Workshop's version of the cover that puts her in a bikini. Inside of the book is the same, just has a bikini mail cover.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

This isn't true at all. FATE came out in 2003, for one. It's is based on FUDGE, which was even slimmer, and did originally come out in the 90s. There was even another FUDGE clone, Kobalds Ate My Baby, that was successful enough to run multiple editions and also get reused for Ninja Burger.

For comparison, while I wouldn't call it "rules-light," Luke Crane had already published Burning Wheel in print before FATE came along.

I have been corrected before when referring to Burning Wheel as a rules light game, and subsequent looks at it have reaffirmed for me that it is any thing but that.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He is proof that Newtons third law applies to RPG gamer's. An actual, equal and opposite reaction to the folk who think any games faults can be fixed by the application of a good GM.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's porn. And, whatever, that's fine, enjoy your porn, but just like with porn, you have to have a certain kind of relationship with a person where you are fine watching porn with them and seriously, this is key here, they have to be fine watching porn with you. That right there is a certain level most don't reach with their gaming group. Now, with stuff Like Bloody Chocolate, you have to be not only willing to share your porn with others, but also the fact that you are into violent rape fantasy porn, and it seems like in general there are too many people in gaming totally willing to do so even when their gaming buddies would prefer they wouldn't.

• Locked thread