Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I picked one hell of a time to find the chat thread after realizing something was missing from my bookmarks. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man if this guy is gonna hire people to piss on everything where the Obamas have been you're gonna have to rename it to the Yellow House.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LongDarkNight posted:

Not sure if it's better or worse than the other Juggalo game.
this sounds kind of fun actually

If a little like the first rule of it would be not to ask questions.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you're in a row with enemies directly on each side, you're being flanked.

quote:

10 feet - Michael
15 feet - Kobold 1
20 feet - Prae Poi
30 feet - Kobold 2
Kobold 1 is being flanked. Prae Poi is not, but if Kobold 2 moves in, he is. If a row holds more than one enemy, you pick one to flank.

If you're in the same row as an enemy, you are also flanked if enemies in the same row outnumber you.

Moving from one row to another if an enemy is present in either row provokes an opportunity attack, right?

I like this, it has strong Final Fantasy vibes. Matter of fact if I ever do properly pick up designing a FFV-like tabletop (fat chance that means work :v:) you may have just cracked one of my biggest problem issues.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

unseenlibrarian posted:

a cleric named Eric
*surreptitiously opens characterideas.txt*

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm eyeing the stuff I came up with for a Final Boss Fight and I'm getting the urge to grab my group's character sheets and play through the thing by myself just to see if I've made any glaring errors with the mechanics that would only reveal themselves during play. Is that as objectively insane as it feels? I have less than a 100% positive track record with custom stuff and the Final Boss Fight had better be good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Nah, it's not unheard of, especially for heavy rules systems. Go for it.
Just gonna say, it was a pretty excellent idea that I did it, because about half a round in it became apparent I'm gonna have to rework the entire first phase of a three phase battle :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

loving fantasy art, man. I'm making tokens for a new 4E game and for 99% of monsters I immediately find something servicable googling for "D&D [monster]" or "pathfinder [monster]". And then I get to "female vampire" and whoops suddenly my image search results page looks like loving Suicide Girls. Do not even get me started on what you get for "D&D nymph."

Would it be too :filez: to ask around for a scan of a specific illustration here?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thanks for the MTG tip and I'm gonna straight use that nymph image, too. :v:

What I really wanted to use was 8 or 16 bit sprites, but even after finding some decent spritesheets with good variety I'd have had to make edits to cover every creature and in the time it takes me to do five of those I can have 25 regular ones googled up and ready to go. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 17, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CaptCommy posted:

Don't know if you've asked here yet, but this is my go-to when I need non-trash art:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605440
oh poo poo, bookmarked

Hunting down the last few creatures. One type is humans corrupted by decades long Far Realm contact. This initially posed the problem that while I have an idea of what that would result in, all the pics I found that fit the bill were kinda too legitimately hosed up for casual elfgames. But I found some The Thing fanart which is really what I shoulda looked for in the first place.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ratpick posted:

In case you know of a good spritesheet for 8 bit or 16 bit fantasy monsters I'd appreciate it.
The one I played around with was this one. Bit of a price tag I just used the preview image. Some decent variety and if you're handy with a graphics editor you can easily recolor stuff or swap heads and weaponry.

You can also always poke around the old Shy Guy Kingdom and have a look what people uploaded for the usual suspects, like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Seems like a social problem more than one with the game system, really.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My group's preparing to enter a new adventure and half the party is some kind of arcanist while the other is some sort of nature follower. In addition, one of the mages' backstory is "accident at the academy" and one of the naturists' is "my druid grove was killed by alchemist waste from the academy." I'm getting sad we're running a published module, because they're setting themselves up for conflict without prompting and establishing an interesting theme but it's just not what the adventure is about.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Plutonis posted:

It's smarter to make the opposite, and make the PCs face off a Gaunter O Dimm dude who can't be defeated by conventional means but needs to have his OWN faustian clauses used against him.
The big campaign villain in one of my games was a wizard who had spent a wish from the gods on absolute immortality and made it absolutely watertight, spending weeks on the right wording and ending up with a several page legal document. To defeat him, the party travelled back in time, intercepted the document and added "except when someone says the keyword 'slartibartfast'".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was ready to roll with that, but he was a big behind the scenes player for about 1000 years and they didn't want to risk a millennium of changed history or they would have had the modrons on their rear end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

well not with that attitude

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gotta say, those closed eyes come across as a bit unfortunate, if topical.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

unseenlibrarian posted:

(Insert joke about Red Dragons here)
You can easily stretch it to Green Dragons but Blue is already impossible and as soon as White and Black enter the thought exercise it is best abandoned.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still wonder if Wizards paid off the Escapist to act as a mouthpiece for Mearls under the guise of independent journalism, or if they just found a news outlet where they could be sure writers would side with him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh yes, the other thing that made the Escapist stand out, I remember.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One of my players has taken to writing down all his rolls and giving us a hit percentage breakdown after every combat. Trying to decide whether I ask him to stop or give him post-battle rankings like in Bayonetta.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Needs one that just says NO and is also embossed so you can punch bad players and DMs with it like the Phantom.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like I vaguely remember a webcomic or something that was all about snakepubes.

Pubesnakes?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think it was Oglaf. It might actually have been a Terry Pratchett footnote with some vague allusion to "no one ever wondered if all her hair was snakes" or something.

It doesn't sound like Terry's style but that's the association right now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Found it!

quote:

The question seldom addressed is where Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the deodorant bottle.
It was Pratchett and he elegently brought up the point while directing attention to the less crass interpretation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cartoon Violence posted:

Hey, as long as it's not like for real bothering anyone I'll leave all the crazy or weird stuff in. If it's more fun for you that way, then that's great, I'll leave it as is. If everyone's having fun, that's what matters to me. :)
I'd leave it up to the players interpretation and the group's tone how explicit they want to go with it. If you flat out say THEY HAVE SNAKEPUBES you're putting that image in everyone's head, if you just say "all their hair is snakes" it's the group's choice if they immediately yell SNAKEPUBES or restrain themselves to snake chest and armpit hair jokes, but both are equally valid.

On a sidenote: do anyone else's groups get much raunchier as the players get older and married, or just mine?

e: once I described a village of half-elves on the edge of the elven forest and one player burst out "they only come out of the woods to gently caress" and I was like, okay, that is what it says in my notes but dang girl.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 16, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

D&D in particular has too many races anyway, not just player races that have to each have their place in the world but also tons of varieties of goblin, kobold and orc, all of which are implied to have at least a degree of civilization and thus also call for being placed in a setting, and it's tough to do that without resorting to creature races as real world nationality analogues.

These days I often have my players pick races from everything available, and whatever subset they pick is what civilized races there are in the world, period. Well, plus one or two for additional NPCs and/or antagonists. It makes for more interesting settings, too. You picked the Revenant, looks like in this world the dead sometimes come back spontaneously - maybe during the campaign we'll find out why.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

slap me and kiss me posted:

Speaking of sharing, I've just finished and posted rev 004 of my post-apocalyptic fantasy game, featuring kung-fu grip, and a brand new character creation system.

You might want to take a look at this if...

... you enjoy tactical combat, but dislike having nothing to do in between taking your turns;
... you enjoy gradated success in modern games like Fate and Dungeon World, but want a tactical component to your gameplay;
... you like the character building of D&D 4e, but dislike the item treadmill and fiddly feat choices; and
... you like the simplicity of D&D 5e's advantages and disadvantages ... but 5e

Download the GM content for Playtest 004
Download the Player content for Playtest 004
Quoting this so I'll maybe remember it when I return from my holiday.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Max Landis experience: I watched the new Dirk Gently thing and it was loving rubbish that uses the whole "holistic" thing as an excuse to string contrived plot developments and seen-a-thousand-times scenes together and arrived at a happy ending apparently entirely by accident, whereupon they did a 180 on it because I guess focus test say shows need a cliffhanger. I'm baffled by how good a reception it's getting.

It had some good scenes and interesting characters, that's the worst thing about it. It could have been pretty great.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I used Strike for our last Halloween game and we used chocolates for action points. It was a surprisingly effective incentive both to gain them and to use them, cause that's when you were allowed to eat any.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My take on Strike was almost the other way around: refluffing was super fun, spinning side stories out of handing out consequences and mitigating those was great, but actual combats lasted maybe 2-3 rounds and enemies were down in 2 hits and maybe you don't need three at will powers to handle that nor to impose conditions on an enemy that's going to die next hit anyway. But we only played a level 1 one-shot, it probably changes gear at higher levels.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Guys, we better find a place to rest. All I've got left is one Hold Mouse."
"WHY DO YOU KEEP PREPARING THIS"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Robotic Folksinger posted:

Oh, man. Farming is a spell now? I guess martials really can't have anything.
Probably better if you don't even try, some jackass wizard is just gonna come along anyway casting Heat on Farm.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No one has ever dared to cast Finger of Enftebtemang.

By contrast, people Conjure Velemert all the time, and he's starting to get really ticked off about it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

I picture it summoning the platonic form of steak. You don't even eat it, you just bask in its perfectly seared magnificence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN4V_tgXuNY

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Has there ever been a situation where a property has survived its creator gracefully? It seems like whenever somebody adds to a dead canon it just ends up being terrible.
I was gonna say Discworld but from most of what I hear it didn't even make it to Pratchett's death all that gracefully, what with one embuggerance or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty much whenever I do think about making my own D&D clone (I never will but you know how it is, work is slow sometimes), Fort/Ref/Will as the basic ability scores is right up there on the list. Sometimes they get renamed to something like Strength/Speed/Spirit, sometimes not.

• Locked thread