Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Someone has never had to answer a maths question that began with the phrase, "Describe a universe"
So there's this city with a ton of doors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yesterday one of my players gave us that coveted moment of excitement you get when you experience something you've only ever heard of by rolling three critical hits in a row. Then turn order moved on to the next player, who made an attack and also rolled a critical hit.

share your tales of statistical improbability

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

starkebn posted:

Worst kind of roleplay story in my opinion
Yeah I guess between me and

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I rolled three natural ones in a row on the same check in my first extended 3.5e campaign.
we covered about all the ground we're gonna.

Antivehicular posted:

I swear to God, that "three D&D wizards travel to Earth and have secret club meetings in my kitchen while I secretly watch from a closet, tee-hee!" series is like half the stuff on fanfiction.net.
please don't post my Blue Velvet crossover

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Like, Italian Job heist picture, or Snatch heist picture?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zurui posted:

Also, in general, watch Turbo Kid.
If people take one thing away from this thread, let it be this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drop owlbears: villagers taking the piss, or the ultimate apex predator?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh no, nerd culture wouldn't be popular, what a tragedy that would be *enters comic shop and is faced with wall of largely identical Funko figurines* hmmm

Also, does he think Tolkien had an active part in creating D&D?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If someone offered me the choice between 3e, Pathfinder and 5e, and in this situation I had a gun, I don't know if my first choice of target would be myself.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In my last two games the party had some kind of group telepathy and I eventually had to put my foot down and say “guys just because you talk in your thoughts doesn't mean it happens instantly, the mob boss/king/beholder is getting visibly annoyed at you just standing there silently.“ Had a neat moment where a telepath enemy started responding to their OOC chatter Psycho Mantis-style, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like this should involve the enemy reciting a list of their past greatest hits/the origin of their magical items/their very sad backstories at them, ala Psycho Mantis checking your savegames.
Or commenting on past characters and campaigns. Paladin player usually plays evil rogues, enemy gives him poo poo about making up for past sins.

... I think I need to revisit that idea some day, I realize I didn't use it to nearly its full potential.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love the idea of a traditional English tea ceremony that involves four hours of protocol to make a mug of builders' :allears:

You may know the order of ingredients, but will you remember to use the tiny ceremonial hammer to chip the mug just enough?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You guys get these teabags that claim to taste of blueberry pie or strawberry cheesecake, or is that a German thing? Cause showing up to the tea ceremony with those would have to be, I don't even know, would you even still allow a roll?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Too many classes, too many items, too many feats
I've gotta say though, that isn't entirely inaccurate, even before Essentials for 4E. There is such a thing as swinging too far in the opposite direction but I'd rather have few well-designed options than a ton of so-so ones (I'm aware that "well-designed" is the sticking point).

So if 4E was WoW, what's the inevitable 6th edition gonna be based on? Overwatch? League of Legends? Pokemon Go?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

hyphz posted:

The 5e DMG has some truly horrible advice in it though. My personal favorite is that if a door's flush with the wall and painted to look like the wall, that's a secret door, and you find it with a search check.

But if a door's behind a curtain, that's a concealed door, and you don't find it with a search check, you find it by saying you are moving the curtain.
"Give me a search check... 21? Okay, you spot what looks like a seam in the wall. As you look closer, you realize there's a section of wall that's just cloth painted to look like wall - it's a curtain. What do you do?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My current party doesn't have a single human. Dragonborn, goliath, genasi, a half elf, no humans. One chick can pass for human but is actually a reanimated corpse steered around by the beetles and maggots eating her and I feel that ought to not count.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I used fail forward principles once. Party was getting directions in an unfamiliar and unsavoury town, rolled badly, I ruled they asked a spotter for a street gang whose directions led them into an ambush. One of my players just would not have it. She should have gotten another roll to realize this guy was a gang member, she should have gotten a roll to realize his directions were bullshit, she should have gotten a roll to notice the thieves sneaking up. I was like, if I let you guys roll specifically until you like the outcome and no bad consequences ever actually occur, then why are we playing a game with dice in the first place?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Today I got to chatting with an intern at my job who it turned out is hugely into nerd poo poo and always wanted to try D&D as well but didn't know how to join a group. I don't have a group locally but thought, hey, might be fun making one, and got as far as "well, I DM regularly" before she continued "and anyway you have to read up on all that lore and I just don't have the time for that." Then she told me about The Gamers and how funny the pile of dead bards and luring the paladin away from the torture were.

This is why I don't reach out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just kinda disheartening to meet someone who's into this dumb thing but immediately get the vibe they're looking for very different things in it is all. :shrug:

e: I mean, I'm still gonna go for it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't suppose I'll ever know where that book came from...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

but when making your "character" you pick one to be the central theme ("Elves" or "Rogues"), and you pick the others individually per squad member ("Warrior Elf, Thief Elf, and Wizard Elf" vs "Elf Rogue, Orc Rogue, and Halfling Rogue")

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think if the ASCII map is going to work at all, it needs a character that represents blocking terrain and frames the map, kinda like this:

pre:

############
                ###........#                                                
                ###........#                                                
                ###.5..#####                                                
                ###4...#####                                               
                ###3...#####                                                
                ###.12.#####                                                
                ###.SS.#####                                                
                ###.SS.#####                                                
                ###....#####                                                
                #........###                                                  
                #........###                                                  
                #....^^^^###                                                  
                #....^^^^###                                                  
                #######EE###                                                  
                #######EE###                                                  
                #######EE###
                ############
But even just from editing this I can pretty much guarantee you, if the point is that everyone posts a new map the way it looks after their turn, someone will accidentally put the wrong character in the wrong line or column and that kind of mistake is bound to propagate through the next two or three posts/turns before someone catches it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

You know a game's going to be...memorable when the character sheet looks like the TimeCube guy hired a graphic designer.
I don't think that looks like a graphic designer was involved at all!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On the contrary, I imagine he'd be the worst kind of “gotcha“ DM, precisely because he feels the players have all the necessary tools to counter him at their disposal, and if they don't use them, tough.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love the spirit dealings flavour of magic. It feels like proper occultism rather than D&D's highly mechanical approach.

The other day I had a situation in my game where the party was beset by evil spirits, and the sorcerer wanted to intimidate them into leaving. Because it was a published adventure my first impulse was to follow what it said and say, sorry, Arcana or Religion only, feel free to reflavour, but fortunately I caught myself and realized that it literally does not get any more sorcerous than out-scaring the evil spirits using your force of personality.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If Tarantino was able to bring his foot fetish into all kinds of cool exploitation, this isn't going to be the combo that breaks the concept.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

say "3.5 but everyone's a rogue and you belong to an outfit that specializes in stealing magic scrolls, all your loot is scrolls, and all your encounters require the use of spells you may never see another copy of" and you'd have my attention
That reminds me, I recently saw official AD&D character sheets for Fafhrd and Grey Mouser in a book, and I love how they handled Mouser's magic abilities: he's a black magician, but has no spellbook. If he finds one he can use any spells in the book but he can't hold on to it for very long, because he lives in Lankhmar and Lankhmar is full of thieves.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha what a lie this is

Rogues are great in 3.5 until you face any of the third of the creature types that are immune to crits and/or any of the ton of random jackholes that have uncanny dodge/all-around vision/some other way of neutralizing sneak attack on top of that. Then you're just a dumbass with a lovely bab and no class features.
I once played a rogue in a marathon one-off with 8 or 9 encounters, all with different enemy types. In one of the encounters I actually could have sneak attacked something, but I got charmed. I think that was the last time we played 3.5 and no one's really even brought it up since then.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dance of Sack is my At-Will and my second At-Will.

But Mordenkainen’s lucubrabibiboricic angion is the one I open combat with every time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I want to say we decided we liked the idea that he was an Emperor Norton-like figure that everyone humored.

The "children" were all paid halflings and everyone was just told to keel over if he started wiggling his fingers at you.
No, they were actual kids from the orphanage he ran, weren't they? I vaguely remember a scene where they huddled around him to protect their sweet old, if slightly delusional, surrogate uncle from the PCs who had jumped to conclusions.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

and it involved fighting a toilet mimic in a modern bathroom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zyXIM2dLME

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Azran posted:

One of my friends just texted me this

"I'm running 4e. One of my players maxed Charisma and is dumping all his points on Intimidate and Diplomacy, then proceeds to roll Intimidate/Diplomacy on my other players who have low Will values to coerce them into doing stuff. Should I hand out free feats to bolster their defenses so as to stop this player from ruining the game?"

:shepface:
The correct way to handle this is

Serf posted:

tell them they can't use their skills to coerce the other players because it's not a loving PvP game
Possibly combined with kicking Charisma guy out. I'd opt for that option sooner rather than later but your friend's mileage may vary.

Buuuut if they need a rules quote, point out that Diplomacy is not a check against will, but against a DM-set DC, and Intimidate is explicitly rolled against a monster's Will. (No rules quote should be needed, they gotta put their foot down on this one.)

e: also "dumping all his points", are they sure they're doing it right?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thought that had to be it, just making sure :v:

If your friend is still on the fence about this, consider it this way: this player is putting his resources into playing characters that aren't his. He's directly taking that option away from other players. This isn't how the game works, he needs to be told in no uncertain terms, and if he throws a fit and quits over it then frankly that's a net gain for the group.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh no, if you're going to Transmetropolitan, you need look no further than Heller.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

And it lasted about 6 hours before he left in disgust.

It wasn't my fault, for the record.
Someone asked him what it felt like "to be named after where a rabbit lives" and I can't say for sure if that was the catalyst but it wasn't long from then to ejection.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

An industry in which Steve Dillon is fondly remembered is one in which this complaint is bizarre.
Hey, Steve Dillon was very good at drawing his face. Lord knows he got enough practice.

e: Steve Dillon was the Fighter of the comics art world: he did one thing and it wasn't very effective but by God he could do it all day.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 1, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

It's really just what you'd get if you mashed a bunch of 80s/90s martial arts movies together--like, Shadoloo is an international mafia, that wants to conquer the world with crime, and they care a lot about petty racketeering and underground fighting tournaments--all extremely early 90s martial arts movie stuff.
And that's much better than the psycho power and dolls stuff, too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

they're... getting more and more abstract...?

Yeah that's the first internet thing where I'm familiar with all the elements and still don't understand it at all.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cassa posted:

https://twitter.com/DanjoKaz00ie/status/938105157497249792

They have some cool stuff about boundaries and consent too.
It's seriously important to know this is for LARP because I cannot express how silly I'd feel sitting around the table and asking "okay everyone, before we start, do we all know where the bathroom is?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Thank you for your interest in joining. You are hereby being served with a restraining order."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man if anyone is loving treasure chests on the reg it's gotta be a dragon.

• Locked thread