Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
lets tighten up this loose beef with something we can all shut the gently caress about,
and that's motherfucking heist games!
Deep down, we all know that the only thing stopping us from stealing is our lack of abilities or connection to someone cool enough to let us join their steal stuff crew. Thankfully, through the world of pretend, we can be cool stuff stealers. There are many cool games about stealing, some of my favorites are

It's half past the future, and your favorite dnd races are teaming up to steal from the man, in order to become the man. They made some video games! I haven't played them. I also haven't played the elf game, but it's cyberpunk, the best kind of punk, and the systems are kinda clunky!

This city is up to its balls in ghosts and you and your crew are gonna rob it blind while it's not looking. Be a Peaky Blinder, only in a city fueled by ghosts next to a broken ocean of blood and star stuff! Gain STRESS to flash back to important moments before your heist went wrong! As seen on Friends at the Table!

This one is more story gaming, works wonders for a one off! I can't imagine trying to continue this for the long run!

What are YOUR favorite heist games? Why should I go gently caress myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Mr. Maltose posted:

A Heist game list without Leverage is a drat poor list. Leverage is built from the ground up to be a game about stealing poo poo and that's all. No muss, no fuss, no cruft. When I'm not phone posting I'll put in some details and charts and so on but if you want to steal poo poo do it in Leverage.

I've never heard of this game, give us the deets.
Also, the tv show leverage isn't bad.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

SunAndSpring posted:

How is Mutants and Masterminds? Might be doing a superhero game soon so I'm looking into picking that up. I read Masks and that's a little too specialized towards relationships and not general punch-man stuff.

You get a million points to throw at crunch and if that's your thing then you'll dig it. Sometimes the power scaling goes wack, like the time my super speedster punched a kryptonian into space on accident.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

Someone make a setting about an underworld full of assassins who use gold doubloons to get their equipment or hang out on assassin hotels.

Blades in the Dark.
Or do you mean like a today game.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

P.d0t posted:

:yeah: I saw that movie yesterday :hfive:

I just got back from that, can confirm it's very dope

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I haven't played a dnd older than 3e but isn't it generally that the older games while being pretty rad for their time but now there are better ways of emulating that old dnd

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

Depiction isn't Endorsement in any case

Except replace satire with depiction

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm legitimately not sure why depicting slavers as villains is a problem?? Emancipation through the overcoming of tyranny or slavery is a classic, resonant story.

The short of it is because slavery was a real rear end thing and it's weird how only the dark skinned ~exotic~ races in elf games seem to practice them considering history

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

fool_of_sound posted:

Murder, war and injustice are also things that happen to real people in the real world.

Okay, but all the murder and war isn't exclusive to the ~exotic~ dark skinned race. I'm not saying that you can't or shouldn't talk about slavery in elf games but I'm saying we're doing a poo poo job if we we're doing it like this.

Edit: and Plutonis I thought mindflayers were more like hellraisers

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 9, 2017

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, I agree on that point, but extending that to 'all depictions of slavery in fantasy are bad' is dumb as hell.

Dog that's not what I was saying

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Alright so what the gently caress are mindflayers because I thought they were deep ones but underground in literal spaceships except underground and they were up to like weird experiments and hellraiser poo poo

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Haystack posted:

To play devil's advocate

You don't need to do this goddammit

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Holy loving poo poo just talk about elves

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Rockopolis posted:

Toph, where does Django Unchained fall on that scale? Satirically violent?

Django is the best Tarantino movie

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Alignment is bad and having an entire species be evil is weird unless they're made out of evil

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

I recently joined the altright movement and named the three newborn piglets born from my aryan bred sow on the european white south Brazilian white nationalist white separatist commune I live Donald Trump, Milo Yabblapolvis and Julius Evola but I shan't be running DnD 5E on our Aryan Game night due to how clunky and buggy the system is and will rather play Varg Vikernes' Myfarog instead.

I mean yeah sure, you could make a post like this if you wanted to.
edit:

Fuego Fish posted:

I get the feeling that if you told people "oh yeah, the D&D 5e PHB gives special thanks to a white supremacist" there would be a lot more loud discourse along the lines of "what the gently caress" and maybe even some actual blowback in WotC's direction.

I think you underestimate how terrible nerd culture is and people's commitment to pretending like games and art just plop out of thin air.
^nerd culture attracts these people because critical analysis is a hosed thing in america

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 22, 2017

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I'm sure there's a way to enjoy Paranoia, but just never when I played it.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

paradoxGentleman posted:

There are literally no circumstances wherein I want to think about The Boss Baby.

There are literally no circumstances wherein I want to think about Beast.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Just use mechanical pencils like an adult

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

I namesearched myself on twitter for curiosity and 90% of the results are people from this forum making GBS threads on me. Can't see why the haterade to be honest.

it's because of the posts you do online, and the way that you post online. They've all seen the way that you post, online.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Spiderfist Island posted:

I'm still mad that I never got my 4E campaign to Epic Tier so I could have essentially a Regicide Boss Rush- all the Sorcerer Kings were extremely cool and unique boss fights.

Run Dark Sun again for me.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

ManMythLegend posted:

Not everything in the revised Dark Sun box was terrible. It greatly expanded the world and fleshed out some of the places more.

I don't know anything about that box, give us some deets.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Edit: actually, gently caress it
Double edit: if you don't see it coming up then why mention that they have a nestle of snakes instead of genitals

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 16, 2017

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

Shut the gently caress you you worthless worm

Dog is defending the honor of loving Quiet the hill you wanna die on

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
There was an oglaf comic about it I'm pretty sure but why is it a thing in your elf game

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I think the new question is
Would you?
Yes.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Mr.Misfit posted:

Strange thing to ask, but exists there such a thing as a Atlas-Shrugged-inspired trpg? As strange as that may sound, I´ve just recently thought that with something like Objectivism and the revival of the concepts in modern american political culture and the movies coming out (despite their quality or content, really), that might have been a field people tried to make something playable.

Hey Matt, how's your Monday game going? Anyways, no that's not really a thing. Paranoia maybe?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Max Landis is such a loving dork.
Edit: remember how mad he got whenbAmerican Ultra bombed?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
It was marketed poorly but at the same time I can't imagine it as a movie that people would want to see and not accidentally watch.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
He wrote a pretty neat superman story with the joker once and I liked those drunk comic videos he did before the superman one

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
When is that gonna come out?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Kwyndig posted:

Some of us like to not break the law.

What are you, a cop?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

fool_of_sound posted:

I just bought a 3DS actually

Too bad, it sucks like star wars and we're gonna post about it instead of elf games for the next page and a half.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
It also has the Phoenix Wright games, which makes me wonder, has there been an elf game that does
combat talking?
like Phoenix Wright or Dangan Rampa or something like that?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I mean "challenging" is a really generous read but for sure, dude who's making triggered jokes.
The best way to get a child into board games is by playing them, but a four year old isn't about to be playing pathfinder with you any time soon. Pretty much anything they do until 8 is arbitrary and accidental.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
We have a lot of fun here in Trad Games, but holy poo poo

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Oodles posted:

At the age 18 my kids are going to hate me, it comes with the territory of being a parent.

Tell me about your mother.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
edit: that was from a page back and my joke wasn't that good

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 2, 2017

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Adbot