Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

remusclaw posted:

In order to be an anime game, it has to have anime/manga style art, and also has to explicitly tell you that it is an anime game. The Japanese printings of D&D for instance are not anime games because they only fulfill one of these clauses.

Hm, so Chuubo doesn't count, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Jenna's bit was extremely stealable. So stealable, in fact, that she never actually got paid for it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Flashy dude who can't stop scheming is Light-o and the sugar-powered detective is L.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Drone posted:

This week's Humble Book Bundle is yet another slew of Pathfinder stuff, this time including more comics/maps and some third-party adventures. No idea on quality on any of this but it's Pathfinder so :shrug:

I finally remembered to download my stuff from the last bundle last week, after giving up because the servers were so slammed.

(It turns out Paizo's download process is awful and slow even when they are not being slammed.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, so, I thought maybe the new 7th Sea would be bad, but it's good. The new Pirate Nations book that I just got the beta of is really, really good. All the new nations are cool, the NPCs are useful, and it even has thoughtful, non-terrible sidebars on how to deal with victimization and characters who have been affected by it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Also, looking back at the 1e book, it looks like more than half of this is new content.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'll be interested to see what people think of The Glass-Maker's Dragon once it's available for non-backers to purchase.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

Holy poo poo how have you people not learned to put Arivia on ignore already. Can we put that in the rulebook sticky?

I have a hard time holding it against her when she's so bad at being mean to me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You also need the adventure to be be designed according to assumptions about how the game was going to be played that were only true under earlier editions of the rules, such as "this will be done as a competitive timed event with punitively unfair mechanics that teams will try to get through as quickly as possible."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't know if I'd list Nobilis; it can be about running a kingdom or whatever but it doesn't really have any rules relating to that.

Although, you should still read it, and buy the second edition PDF from DriveThru, obviously.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Is there a broad consensus as to whether 2nd or 3rd edition is preferable nowadays?

The third edition is broadly better in every way aside from being largely an ugly book, so you should use those rules.

The reason you should buy the second edition is that buying that gives money to Jenna and buying the third edition gives money to EOS, who stole all the money that was supposed to print copies of Chuubo.

(The third edition also involves me. Arivia, you are the most incompetent stalker I have ever had.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Meh. Never mind consensus; 2nd with some ideas from Game of Powers (the Nobilis LARP) is something you'll play at a table with other people. The fundamental thing with Nobilis is deciding on bid order and such because that influences play enormously.

That strikes me as funny in view of the old canard that 2e was a game you bought to look at instead of play. What things do you like better? I have to say, I don't know of any groups playing the game at a table with other people who use 2nd instead of 3rd. (Not that I own a table.)

quote:

But it's a nice thing to do to buy 3rd, yes.

Note that as I mentioned before, buying 3rd doesn't give any money to Jenna. If you want to do that you should buy Chuubo products or subscribe to her Patreon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Plutonis posted:

If I wanted to look at stolen toho art I'd just go to Tumblr

There isn't any of that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Sarmatians definitely get the best sorcery. Possibly the only good sorcery?

(Sorcery is the worst part of the new edition, which is otherwise pretty good, if only because the book appears to be convinced that it's handing you the keys to Real Ultimate Power and patting itself on the back, but most of the powers are not that great.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It also has my pick for the most elegant mechanic ever: if you buy the trait for being a ghost summoner, your Circles expands to include people who are dead.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I just looked at the preview of Eoris on DTRPG and wow, I'm totally pulling this out the next time somebody calls Nobilis incomprehensible metaphysical jibberish.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The game needs to indicate to people what the subforum is actually for if you want people to come here.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Burning Wheel is basically perfect for Planescape except that you'd need an infinite number of lifepaths and a couple of dozen emotional attributes and you wouldn't be able to get a PDF.

(Seriously, emotional attributes are perfect for how faction abilities work, right down to the point where maxing them out causes you to explode.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Alignment works in Planescape because Planescape is "let's build a universe around using all the weird aspects D&D has accumulated as cosmic law."

This is the main problem with exporting it to a different system.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, Chris Evans is on Twitter actively expressing his desire to punch some modern-day alt-righ Nazis.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought the default gender roles in shoujo manga are that the protagonist is a henpecked neurotic loser and every girl he knows is an insane harpy.

No, the girl is the school's most handsome boy who loves otome games and tends to overextend his mouth, and the guy is the handsome prince of the school (girl) who is secretly in love with the head of the drama club.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mr.Misfit posted:

When did the entire spectrum of Authoritarianism coalesce into "FASCISM, YO!" ?

Ever since they started letting SA have a movie forum, I think.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Slack is very useful but I would find it more trustworthy if I could actually afford the pay option. I could do a flat fee, but $5/users isn't going to work for me, especially since it rules out the possibility of people dropping in to watch or join the chat for general chattiness.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

01011001 posted:

What makes the free version untrustworthy?

It's not really untrustworthy in the malware sense, more "if you aren't paying for it; that makes you the product" and the fact that I have no reason to believe the service will still be available in 1, 2, or 5 years given that it isn't making money off of me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ImpactVector posted:

Note that if you're not paying for Slack then it definitely isn't ideal if you care at all about keeping records of old games. The free version only keeps the last 10k messages per group IIRC, and anything older gets lost.

You can still export it, which is what I do to keep the logs of Doom and Gloam, but it's annnnoooooying

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

Has Slack solved their atrocious performance issues?

yes it's a goddamn messenger service that was/is notorious for -performance issues-.

Can't say I've ever noticed any, or in fact heard of any!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Impermanent posted:

a buddhism-inspired game exactly halfway between In Nomine, Demon and Nobilis where players take turns playing as a central character, while others control bodhisattvas that guide a character away from the chains of aversion and desire. Also sometimes you fight incarnate demons of desire. Love: The Extinguishing.

That sounds a lot like an Excrucian campaign anyway.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Buying anything out of print third-party is getting unbearable as the bots calculate the prices up into the hundreds even for three-year-old paperbacks.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Blood War is clearly Planescape bullshit, thank you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Unseen Academicals was great to me, except that because I have no familiarity with UK football culture none of the references made sense.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Vetinari was also tolerated because instead of doing mass killings, secret police, and arbitrarily imprisoning the populace like past patricians,

Well, assuming you aren't a mime.

(I don't think Vetinari really works through fear that much—his number one weapon is explicitly "make it more convenient for everybody to work with me than to face the alternative.")

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't really recall anything in Pratchett that suggests that people in Lancre are any happier than people in Ankh-Morpork.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

People in Lancre are also dirt-poor and lead a generally filthy lifestyle while being one witch away from horrible death due to a lack of doctors who don't wear pointy hats.

I mean, they seem reasonably happy but they're exactly the kind of place young people go to the big city to get away from.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I went by the local gaming store in Portland while I was on vacation and found, to my surprise, a used copy of Amber Diceless that appears to be in perfect mint condition.

How does that even exist?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, that's where I was. If you remember a startlingly handsome fellow constantly bumping into things, that was probably me.

It's really quite large compared to any other gaming store I've seen.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Y'all know they already published that supplement months ago as part of Dark Eras Companion and you can go ahead and read it, right? The thing that they're working on now is just the printed version you can buy separately from the big book.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Deleter posted:

Better that Advance Wars fell on its sword than becoming whatever the gently caress Fire Emblem is now.

A really good and popular series?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rules clarity was definitely an important part of the process when designing Chuubo, and you certainly aren't expected to have read Nobilis (honestly, they aren't at all similar in practice, at least to me).

Everything Jenna writes is as clear as she was able to make it. If it doesn't work out for a lot of people, it's because Jenna's idea of what constitutes a logical order of information is really different from most people. She tends to see everything as part of a single "flow" of book and I'm not sure that it works out if you try to read it like a White Wolf splatbook.*

It would be nice if we had four editors but honestly RPG budgets generally have room for less than one.

* my outline for Nobilis 4e is structured to be like a White Wolf corebook but we'll see how that goes

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

potatocubed posted:

Having run Chuubo, I'd say that while I found the book very clear it felt an awful lot like I was still missing a huge chunk of information and that information was someone's entire life. Like, poring over Nobilis and Hitherby Dragons* helped me understand Chuubo in the sense that it helped me understand Jenna's outlook and approach to writing games, and I felt like the more I knew about that the more I could see of the big picture that Chuubo was giving me a letterbox into.

*I also pored over Unclean Legacy, but mainly because I loving love Unclean Legacy.

Hm! I'd be interested in any detailed feedback you might have into exactly what that means to you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Was he the one going on about how customer service is some kind of evil scheme Fred Hicks invented to trick people into buying his products?

• Locked thread