Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Yawgmoth posted:

Reminder that Gygax also hated the very concept of having any sort of story beyond "there is a Bad Thing in Location Mountain, go kill it!" and thought having a reasonable chance to actually hit and hurt the thing you were fighting was "too video-gamey" so really if you were looking for good RPG advice at all Gary was the last person you wanted to talk to.

Not to mention he wasn't fond of any PC type except Human Fighters, and only included any other options because of pressure from his players

Halloween Jack posted:

I only have the first one

Same, although I do have several of the series that came after the first two Gord novels that followed that Wolf Shaman guy(and get pretty Magical Realm over the course of them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

That's Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Combat can be pretty fast and deadly in WFRPG but if it's balanced correctly, and there's no reason why a competent party of adventurers shouldn't be making it to their 3rd or 4th careers. The system isn't bad either, it's just broken in the 40K games because it wasn't designed for automatic weapons.

That only really applies to Level 0 characters in DCC, characters past that are actually pretty tough if the players don't do anything particularly stupid

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning in regard to humanity being "doomed" in the Mythos isn't even all that true, sure we'll probably go extinct some day, but going off Lovecraft's own writing(since he's done stories involving time travel), we've got at least a couple thousand years left, and that's just on Earth, and not counting any possible descendent species we might have either

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

My problem with CoC was always that I was never knowledgeable enough about the 1920's or 1930's to be confident in being to convey and portray the setting well, and then conversely that's why I ended up liking Delta Green so much.

One of the reasons if I were to run a Pulp/Noir/Weird Fiction period piece I'd probably have it be a fantasy setting so I don't have to worry about getting things too wrong, in fact I've basically got two possible settings for this sort of thing in mind to use someday;

Weird Adventures: setting published under the OSR that is basically what happens if you take a D&D setting and let it advance to the 1930's, it's a brilliant little setting(and despite the OSR label it's mostly rules free outside of a small bestiary), and the book is gorgeous in physical form(and is pretty cheap both digitally and in print)

City of Ravencastle: setting I've been tinkering with for about a year and a half now, based on a map I found on the internet(if I weren't phone posting I'd post it, probably edit it in later), basic description of the setting would be Bloodborne but set in a late 1930's New York City expy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm reminded of a comic I read once where Satan reveals that he does volunteer work and actively works to improve the world and thus human lifespan, because it's easier to get people to drat themselves through sin if they live longer

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

I got a 60 Amazon Gift Card as a parting gift from my old job. What's a good rpg I can buy with that?

Dungeon Crawl Classics is a good one, although you might have to spend a little extra to get the necessary dice

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zoro posted:

Still, I was not expecting an OSR game to respectfully recognize the LGBT+ community.

I haven't really seen much if any homophobia(or whatever would be the appropriate term when applied to the LGBT spectrum at large) in the OSR community, the worst I've seen(outside of some stuff like BITC, although that was more exploitave than anything) is the occasional member of the movement be kind of confused about it in the way a lot of older CIS White Men are, and not really in a malicious way either*

*I'm sure there are some actual pricks in this regard among the movement, but I haven't really seen any of that outside of the occasional Anon on /tg/ being a jackass

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Der Waffle Mous posted:

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/912412449499889664

pretty much came out of nowhere for me. Going to read it later when I have time.

Well this seems interesting, always up for looking at a new Mecha RPG

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Anyone got any info or opinions on this Maelstrom RPG that's the newest Bundle of Holding?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Today I went to one of the tabletop groups in my city and played the retroclone "Old Dragon" and I remembered why I dislike OSR games.

You can't just blanket dislike all OSR games because one is bad, also I've never heard of Old Dragon before, so I'm guessing it's a local one

bewilderment posted:

Instead of playing retroclones instead play cool games that just decide they like HP AC and the six stats, like Godbound and Beyond the Wall.

Those are Retroclones though, just ones that change stuff around more than most

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

What if a lot of them are bad?

Overall I'd say there's more good OSR games than bad

bewilderment posted:

Retroclones try to actually be a clone of a game, sometimes with some minor changes for flow or mood. Dark(er) Dungeons is a retroclone of BECMI DnD.

Godbound is an original game with god powers and no classes and stuff, it just happens to be compatible with old DnD stat-wise and has things like HD and AC and STR/WIS/DEX/etc because that's what the author likes.

Well it's still an OSR game

Plutonis posted:

I'm still soured as hell from zombie/post apoc thematic :/

It's a local one. 5 min chargen, played as a fighter warrior man, got crippled after whiffing three attacks in a row and getting hit all the time due to the GM insistence on making me do encounters without my full armor and since it was a 'low fantasy' setting I couldn't heal my HP so I just excused myself and left after a while.

A lot of that seems to be your GM being a moron/douche than anything

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I recently found out about Batman: White Knight, and the concept (and the good reviews) has kinda piqued my interest.

Are comic books still a purely physical industry, or can I get some kind of ebook of this somewhere?

White Knight has been interesting so far, for one thing it comes off as an AU for the 90's Batman cartoon more than it does for any of the comics universes, especially when they mention that the only crimes Joker has committed that they can actually pin on him are relatively minor ones, including no murders at all, heck Batman is depicted as being overall more dangerous to Gotham's welfare than Joker is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I saw a new product today: Magic the Gathering Duel Decks, which are a pack of two 60-card decks intended to be played against each other.

The idea was so good I was kinda floored. It seems perfect to bring these along to play pickup games with my nerdy friends that understand MTG, but don't get heavily into it because of the cost of the hobby as a whole.

Is it? Would you consider this a buy as a sort of self-contained toy?

As Cinnamon Bear mentions, they've been releasing those for years, I own at least two sets, Jace vs Chandra, and Angels vs Demons

Actually that would be a fun format, where you can only use the pre made decks(plus maybe a small pool of extra cards from that deck's specific block and core set to allow some small measure of customization), obviously this format would be open to all eras of the game that had proper pre constructed decks(for the early blocks where they didn't, maybe make up some decks for them)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Why are the Orcs on Shadow of War full on Warhammer Orks now. Is this some reverse cultural source thing.

I'm not really seeing it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Getsuya posted:

For Harvest the works listed as inspirations are:
Harry Potter
Tales of
Rockman Battle Network :psyduck:
Duel Masters
PuyoPuyo (which started out as an RPG series about students at a magic kindergarten and only turned into a puzzle series later)

Man that's just reminding me that Duel Masters is still dead in the West, which sucks cause that game was great

But at least it still being alive in Japan means they'll probably try to make it a thing again here in the States soon enough

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Elfgames posted:

it had a small resurgence as "kaijudo" with a new cartoon and everything

Kaijudo doesn't count, they intentionally changed the rules and card design for that version to make it incompatible with the first version, not to mention they did some really dumb translation changes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

In the post-"Ultimate Marvel" Ultimates (the team run by Carol Davners), Galactus actually stops being the big purple planet-eater and becomes an avatar of life...who then has to fight some of the other cosmic entities who want him to turn back into the Devourer of Worlds because that's who he's always been.

He did manage to fight back, but I think he's back to being "classic" Galactus because god forbid comics have major changes.

(Squirrel Girl is still cool and good because it deliberately ignores every megaevent and is purposefully positive.)

Nope they actually avoided returning Galactus to being what he used to be, he's still The Life Bringer, heck The Ultimates ended with a lot of status quo changes sticking, albeit most of those changes not involving the actual members of the titular team

Also I want to like Squirrel Girl's book, but the art in it is pretty much the worst of any ongoing book they publish that doesn't involve Greg Land

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wasn't one of the ideas of Ultimate Marvel that stuff could change in major ways since it wasn't the main continuity? I vaguely remember something like that.

I mean, yeah, we got Miles Morales and the whole dumb "Magneto kills several million people through natural disasters", but I don't remember if it was an idea from day one.

The problem with the Ultimate Universe is they went too far in the other direction, like Ultimatum ended up basically killing the Ultimate Universe almost a decade before it was officially killed off cause that event killed too many characters off and ruined the story arcs of most of the characters who survived it

Similar problem happened to their Mangaverse imprint, last series they did with it killed off almost every single character leaving it an unusable universe, to the point when it's Spider-Man shows up during Spiderverse they heavily imply that they're ignoring most of the comics in his universe after the initial wave of them

FMguru posted:

It's because when you start doing that - using superpowers to change the world - the world quickly becomes unrecognizable. There were a lot of comics in the 1980s that explored this (Moore's Watchmen and even more so his Miracleman being two of the most significant). Once you start poking at the implications of superpowers, the world changes and becomes very different.

It's just baked into the idea of endless serial superhero stories, that the universe doesn't ever change all that much because of superpowers (or if it does, it's only for a short time, and then the status quo is returned).

Yeah I've been fiddling with an alternate Marvel Universe that is heavily different from real world history after a certain point(the first big divergence is "What If Atlantis, Latveria, and Wakanda all entered WW2 as part of The Allies" for example)

There's also a Public Domain Superheroes setting I've been working on that also goes heavy with changes(like JFK's assassination being prevented by Stardust The Super Wizard)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

It's bright and colorful and cartoony. I really like it, but I find most modern cape comics ugly.

The problem is that Erica Henderson sucks at drawing faces

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the topic of Superhero RPG art, if I ever made a game in that genre(and I've thought about it before), I'd probably just use art from old Golden Age Public Domain Superhero comics

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Getting a lot of high quality scans of old Fantomah pages would be pretty dang impressive.

Fletcher Hanks' work is one that I'd actually license, or at least the high quality scans/restoration of his comics that Fantagraphics did for their two volume(later re-released as a single volume) collection of his comics

Not sure how I'd handle the PD stuff from MLJ/Archie or the companies that got absorbed by DC though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zoro posted:

So, what positions did you have Peter Parker and Pregnant Jessica Drew get in when you got a commission from him?

Regular Jessica Drew or the Ultimate version(who is a gender bent clone of Peter Parker), this is important

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I had to look and see that Dan Slott is still writing Spider-Man? I had a higher tolerance for the guy than most goons, but even I lost patience ages ago; there really needs to be a fresh voice on that book.

Apparently Slott has stated that he plans on remaining in Spider-Man forever if allowed to, which sucks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tasoth posted:

So Dragon Kings, Nightmares Beneath and Index Card RPG are up on bundle of holding. I'm not buying another bundle, but they've piqued my interest. Can anyone tell me anything about them other than 'they're OSR'?

The Nightmares Underneath is a really good game, there's a free artless version available, so go give it a look

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

So what are the best/most interesting retroclones anyways? I've been wanting to give some a whirl but there are a huge number to choose from.

Here's my thoughts based on the ones I own in print;

Swords & Wizardry Complete Edition: basically a very cleaned up version of OD&D including all the supplements, it recently got a new edition that features art exclusively from women artists

Dark Dungeons: pretty much the Rules Cyclopedia with some minor tweaks and additions

Adventurer Conqueror King System: a BX clone with a heavy focus on domain management, it's one of my personal favorites(for among other things how it handles Racial Classes, the class creation system it introduces in it's first supplement, and for having the best implementation of the Cleave concept I've ever seen), but one of the people involved has some connections with The Escapist, so there might be some minor morality issues involved in buying it(although it has been in Bundle of Holding offers in the past, so that's one way to legally obtain it without directly supporting them)

Basic Fantasy Role-Playing: basically a mashup of the D20 OGL with BX, its a decent game on it's own merits, but it's biggest plusses are that it's available for dirt cheap(core book is like 5 bucks on Amazon), and it has a ton of supplement support

Microlite 74: a very light clone inspired by OD&D, has some really nice supplement support(this one isn't officially available in print, I printed up my own copy)

Blood & Treasure Complete: D20 OGL converted to fit OSR concepts

Dungeon Crawl Classics: others have covered this one well, I'll just mention that on top of it's merits as a game it's probably one of the most gorgeous books currently in print

Delving Deeper: clone of the original 3 book version of OD&D, nothing fancy but it's a cheap and useful little book, and while there isn't much art in the book what there is is pretty good(and the cover is one of my favorite pieces of OSR art)

Stars Without Number: an OSR game meant for Science Fiction settings, personally I don't like it at all and it's pretty much the one OSR product I regret buying in print

Fantastic Heroes & Witchery: a very interesting book, as it is crammed with a ton of content, including a bunch of unique classes(and reinterpretations of classic classes), the best take on Firearms in an OSR game I've seen, and 666 spells, only real issue it has is that it doesn't have a monster section, even if you don't run it by itself there's a ton of stuff you can steal for use in other games

Whitehack: probably the lightest game in the OSR, and one of the only rules light games I've read that didn't confuse and/or bore me, it manages to include a full and imaginative rules system and two adventures in just 64 pages(it even includes a way to get random numbers without dice, so it's probably one of the most prison friendly RPG systems ever made), it's also a book that is both extremely cheap in print and looks really good in a minimalist way, the only downside it has is that it has no official PDF version cause the author is a luddite weirdo

The Nightmares Underneath: this one has already been discussed a lot, but I'll reiterate that it is a really good game, about the only issues it has are a relatively weak monster and spells selection(but that's one of the nice things about the OSR, it's easy to crib stuff from other games as needed)

Pars Fortuna: a BX clone that might be one of the most unique OSR games out there, as the creator ditched much of the standard fantasy stuff and populated the classes, monsters, and spells with concepts he created using online random generators

And some non rules books I own in print;

Deep Carbon Observatory: an adventure that goes in some very unique directions

Fire On The Velvet Horizon: a bestiary full of odd and unique monsters all illustrated in a very interesting way, is rule free so could be used with other systems as well

Yoon-Suin- The Purple Land: a weird fantasy setting inspired by southern Asia, full of very useful and inspirational tables

Weird Adventures: D&D Fantasy except set in the 1930's instead of medieval or renaissance times, goes into great detail about the setting's New York City equivalent, is a good looking book

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Random question. I enjoy Warhammer 40k as a game, especially this new edition, but I am awful at constructing and even more terrible at painting models. Anybody have any game recommendations that can scratch that itch without model construction?

Look up Brikwars and Mobile Frame Zero, both games are meant to be used with LEGO bricks and minis

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hostile V posted:

Remembering Gate made me remember The Salvation War exists and how it's basically the Rationalist equivalent of Gate. And because so many people reposted it and spoiled it, the writer couldn't turn it into a sellable work and also never ended up working on the third book where mankind gets owned by a power that exists beyond heaven and hell so it's permanently stalled in this state of "and mankind took over heaven and hell and everything owned forever and God and Satan were both killed with superior human firepower".

Which is appropriate for the work, ultimately.

Salvation War is one of those stories with a good concept and pieces, but kinda falls apart the longer it goes on

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Manga doesn't have the sprawling shared universes that tend to strangle western comics to death, still can if given the time and choice disappear up their own rear end. Shaman King for instance disappeared in a puff of self-importance.

Shaman King is one of those rare cases where the anime is better, and the ending is pretty much the main reason

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone think it's weird how dwarven societies combine elements of pro-labor meritocratic work unions but are also strictly delineated monarchies and often have a theocratic bent, and often have a highly materialistic capitalist view of wealth that favors hoarding? The virtues of a talented craftsman or artist are extolled but it doesn't seem such an individual can better their stations if they're not part of a noble lineage.

The setting for the version of Chainmail that WOTC briefly published actually had it's dwarves engage in a popular revolt against their nobility and were now led by a council whose members are made up of representatives of the various guilds(and their military)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That was supposed to be part of Greyhawk, AFAIK.

Yeah it's off on the western part of the continent that the City of Greyhawk is on, which prior to that hadn't been described much at all

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Moriatti posted:

I would probably throw money your way to aide with translating and am likely not alone.

Same, a dollar a month to help speed along translations of stuff seems like a good exchange to me

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Arivia posted:

I dunno, Fate or something. Just Jesus not loving Strike.

gently caress FATE as a system in every regard

dwarf74 posted:

Ignore her. It's a pavlovian reaction at this point whenever anyone mentions Strike.

Try insulting Forgotten Realms. That works, too.

I just can't comprehend how anyone can find Forgotten Realms interesting at all

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

funmanguy posted:

i enjoy forgotten realms. i must be like a shogoth to you. tbh its not just you, the resemblance is uncanny

I have no problem with someone liking it, I just don't understand why

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's very densely packed, is the thing. You can't walk three steps without tripping over a set of warring kingdoms or an abandoned elf city. It's basically "if you don't know what to do for a campaign, stick a pin in the map".

That's actually one of the biggest reasons I don't like it, it's too goddamned crowded

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Elfgames posted:

that's all good for baseline combat but a large amount of a fighter's problem is lack of things to do outside of combat

That's actually a very easy thing to fix, just change up the skill system so Fighters can have good skills too

Elfface posted:

Yeah, I don't recall exactly where, but I remember it being written that the more social dragons will often shapeshift into a humanoid and spend a few decades having fun, which can often result in half-dragons.

I guess what it mostly comes down to is - humans will have sex with anything. Here in the real world we already have people who claim to be married to and having sex with their cars, among other things.

Oh, and a lady married the Berlin Wall, but had an affair with a fence.

Reminds me of how in Ben 10 Alien Force(and it's sequel Ultimate Alien) they established pretty clearly(but never outright said since it was still a kid's show) that Humanity's special trait was the ability to crossbreed with pretty much any species they wanted to

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Plutonis posted:

The Ben 10 lore and canon

They actually fleshed out Ben 10's setting fairly well by kid's show standards(albeit not without some continuity snarls), heck it would work better for a Supehero RPG setting than a lot of comic book Superhero settings would

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think thinking of mainstream comics as "settings" is probably a trap anyway.

I actually wasn't including the main DC or Marvel continuities when I said that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tasoth posted:

I've been binging OSR PDFs recently and now I'm curious if there are any discussions or guides to monster balance out there for such games. I also want to piddle about with the rules and strap different parts together for no better reason than I enjoy failing to complete projects.

Most people in the movement don't even bother trying to do monster balancing

As for mucking around and combining different bits from different systems that is something lots of people have done for decades, more people probably ran BX with stuff from AD&D mixed in than running 1e straight for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

You think Forgotten Realm is good

Yeah I have to agree that ruins any credibility about one having good taste

• Locked thread