Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I'm actually just interested in talking about what movies are greenlighted this year, rather than just hear about people's high school experiences.

New dets on Refn's new movie, sounds interesting: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/01/11/the-avenging-silence-nicolas-winding-refn-plot-details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

I hope that spoiler is true.

Also iBoy trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbEWtpSmJXg

eh, seems like typical superhero plotting, making the GoT girl just someone needing saving is lame.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That was his arc. And the end had the falling tank scene.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

New trailer for Russian Avengers Guardians!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j450dFQQU20

How many loving Bears are in this thing.

I mean, it'll never be enough.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I wouldn't mind a foreign remake of Lady in the Water. I think there are filmmakers in other countries would could do wonders with such a premise.

Speaking of foreigners and this movie, HBO has been replaying it constantly recently and I could can only watch it for a couple of minutes before possibly the most offensive Asian stereotypes in years comes along. I mean, what the hell was he thinking?!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Aliens, in general not in Signs specifically, are a modern incarnation of fairies/elves. They're a mysterious otherworldly force that is like us but different. They abduct people and like faires (and succubi/incubi, vampires, mares and shadow people) they're an attempt to explain sleep paralysis.

Uh, sleep paralysis is obviously the work of demon people, like duh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtw7oMkdfHQ

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 17, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

They converge on a special few blessed by God, who are recognized by their good works/prosperity.

Anyvay, Bob Odenkirk is in a new Netflix produced movie that mixes the plot of a rom-com with noir: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/girlfriends-day-trailer-bob-odenkirk-netflix-comedy-amber-tamblyn-1201769486/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

They try to give this movie the Fast & Furious approach when it comes to the cast, by having a wide range of cool dudes and ladies. What Xander Cage really needs however is a sidekick, a straight man, that constantly calls him out on his stupid poo poo.

So Diesel has like Seagal levels of self regard and character protection happening, right? That always results in lovely movies.

Still love Steven Seagal's tantrum on the set of Executive Decision.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

The Hamlet 2 effect.

A good movie.

Which I watched after the backlash. Some movies just aren't made for high expectations, especially comedies.

edit;

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Won free tickets from filling up petrol. But good catch!

lol, that's a very apt way to win tickets for this movie. Other ways include being given a ticket as a distraction as you're being served papers for a divorce, as a sweetener to show up at court for late alimony payments, and shoved in as a bookmark on a tattered Men's Health magazine focusing on HGH found at a free clinic .

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 20, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

Oooooof, from the sound of y'all discussing XXX3 I think we've finally found the one way to keep me out of another GI Joe flick.

I still REFUSE to see the second one since they got rid of Sommers/most of the cast, the first one was fun dammit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

poo poo you just wrote John Wick 3.

And the vehicle for Corey Feldmen's triumphant return.

CUT TO

PET SEMETARY, YA, LIKE THE STEPHEN KING ONE WHY NOT

Corey Feldman stands over a grave, the grave says Bonkers (what was the dog's name again).

Lightning strikes.

A paw reaches out of the ground.

This summer, a dog doesn't bark

It barks....

BULLETS

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

Are the Divergent movies any good? Because all I ever hear about them is "didn't make any money, hopefully we're done with two movies per book cash grabs now."

Complete poo poo.

This interview with Courtney and Teller is kinda amusing though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G515om3QPyA

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its saying something that Dr. Strange was nominated as well (for Visual Effects, compared to SS's Makeup), and no one is talking about it.

It's like people turning their heads at a car crash over here.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Dr. Strange had really great visual effects though.

That's what I mean. SS OTOH....

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uh this sucks

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Do people see Hollywood as progressive? Actual progressives I know world laugh at the notion. Personally, I see Hollywood as a collection of high risk venture capitalist who incidentally make movies.

Sony got into the business solely to gain a monopoly with bluray.

Their unions are strong

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AlexF posted:

I've seen John Wick 2 five times now (working on the German dub and all...) and it didn't get old yet. Quite the opposite. There's so much stuff happening and not explicitly spelled out that you'll pick up new things with every viewing. Without spoilering anything: I still don't know how you even begin to put together and then shoot something like the last set piece.

We also got a bump in rating. Part 1 was 16+ and part 2 will be 18+ in Germany (very much comparable to NC 17 stateside), so you all get to look to forward to much more close race face shooting.

Glad to hear some good word on the last set piece, that's where the first movie stumbled.

It's something pretty common in action movies, blowing their load in a setpiece in the middle of the movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Especially when the first film heavily implied a Christian/Methuselah connection as the mythology behind it all.

Hmm, I don't remember that.

I do remember slow rear end sword fighting in alleys as Queen plays

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Saw a trailer for the Taken TV series (which is a thing) and they somehow had a slow cover of REM's "The One I Love"

So disappointed to see that the trailer that played before John Wick 2 for GitS still was using the Depeche Mode slowdown version of Enjoy the Silence.

What a lovely trailer. It's amazing how much better it is with the latter substituion in the music (to the anime soundtrack).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Would Murray have been a better fit?

Yes, Murray still tries.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

You might be thinking of The Purge. He was the lead in the last two of those.

You'd have to make it The Purge to try to justify how batshit the bad guys were in the Raid. I don't see it translating to America unless you resurrect some sort of Death Wish 3 view of urban crime.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm glad someone spliced that with the trailer, making the characterization even clearer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKIXd3lAFEI

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Er... really? The bad guys weren't that batshit in The Raid, they were kinda on the same level as standard movie criminals. The most batshit thing is the main villain owning the apartment building, in my view.

Thats what I meant. Also a building just wall to wall criminals.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, plus there's a good proportion of people who react to everything going on by just holing up in their apartments and who absolutely poo poo themselves when the cops get in. It's basically just a ghetto apartment block that the crime lord owns and also keeps his people in because why wouldn't you.

Yeah when I said you would have to change the setting into something like the Purge to have it set in America, I also didn't mean it wasn't possible to film it, but that it shouldn't be filmed at all.

Like a movie where heroic cops go into a poor tenement building to be torn apart by its rabid and craven residents is a neo-Nazi wet dream, and I don't see how its gonna get greenlit (or that it should). It's not the 80s anymore.

I hope.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Dredd flopped because it had one of the worst trailers ever made considering the content and style of the movie

lol you weren't kidding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-eI5oLlIeY

edit: yeah, they aren't good guys (though the podunk cannon fodder didn't have much of a choice in being there, right?), but they can (and will) certainly be construed as such.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 18, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I'm weird because I liked the Dredd trailer and it's what got me to watch the film.

People can differ and all, but I am absolutely flummoxed that a lean, mean, action movie in the 80s vein (shoot through the membrane, yeah!) is advertised by pop electronic music and a huge emphasis on slowed drug trances.

It should have showcased what the movie was, brutal action. Aren't trailers supposed to show that?

edit; or even a better version of the movie. You don't come away from that trailer pumping your fist. It's more like a disinterested shrug.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Two funny things from Suicide Squad that immediately pop to mind:

- When Rick Flagg just shrugs after he witnesses his boss murder a room full of computer jokeys

- The running gag where helicopters keep getting shot down, but nobody important gets killed or even wounded

Wait what. Waller just kills a room full of nerds

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I can't believe we had such a long discussion about recent schlock without anyone bringing up Pan or Jupiter Ascending.

Jupitor Ascending is the only movie mentioned that merit a retrospective after a few years. It has the type of all out sincere type of detailed lunacy that the best type of beloved cult movies tend to have (from Robot Jox to I don't know, Near Dark or something). The other movies mentioned (Suicide Squad, Pan, etc) are crass commercial failures with nothing interesting to exhume.

MacheteZombie posted:

Yup, she's stone loving cold in the pic. She's the real villain, she just happens to get away.

Any reason given, other than just full blown jock rage?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'll spoiler it just in case, so basically the mission the crew is on is revealed to be a mission to save Waller after Enchantress gets loose. Once the team arrives to rescue her she kills all the agents in their safe base (mostly computer jockeys) since everything they do is super classified and they're expendable in her eyes.

It kind of comes out of nowhere and was pretty cool because of that surprise. She's just talking to Flagg and Deadshot (who is rightfully pissed about the mission at this point), and then blam!

lol well that's incredibly dumb.

And didn't know Suicide Squad's BO numbers. All I know is that I sure as hell don't want to watch it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

I am not sure there was much actually straight-up wrong with anything in Jupiter Ascending, unless you hate young adult movies on principle. It was a weird movie and after Cloud Atlas I'm willing to let the Wachowskis try just about anything.

I have to say I found Cloud Atlas disappointing. Maybe its because I only caught it recently and so its been building hype in my head for years, but I only found a couple of the narratives interesting, and thought they way they played with each other unsurprising and largely inconsequential.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

This seems like the right moment to mention that Gore Verbinski spent countless hours cutting trailers and TV spots that he wouldn't let marketing professionals cut and Cure for Wellness made 4 million opening weekend behind a movie about dogs that tried to kill dogs and is in the fourth week of its run so anyway that's pretty much over. The thing I was asked most about that movie was "what is that about?" and that's not generally a good sign.

When your best movies are The Ring and Pirates of the loving Caribbean (I mean, they're okay at best) I still don't understand why he got so much lee-way....like I'm all for artistic direction but I would hope that would happen to a better artist.

And boo on Simon getting the chair on the new X-Men movie, and it being another disaster-athon. loving yawn. I guess the draw will be multiple cities being blown up instead of multiple cities. The last people cared about how destructive things could get on the movie screen was ID4, and mostly people remember that for the inspirational speech.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The MSJ posted:

I know everyone is all hyped about Logan, but please be aware that The Shack is also getting released this week after being delayed for months.

That Christian movie? Looks terrible.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonz posted:

I've only ever walked out of a handful of movies in my life. One of them was A Sound of Thunder.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, I had totally forgotten about Suspect Zero and War, Inc..

Jesus, you're right. He really has been in some stinkers.

Thunderbirds. But he still was still the best thing in that.

DeimosRising posted:

Some of those old school British guys still have a bit of the ancient actors are basically hookers perspective going on. We worship them now but for most of recorded history an actor was something like a cross between a carnie, a prostitute, and a beggar. It's not a noble artistic calling, it's the poo poo you do cause you're too much of a lush and a fuckup to make something of yourself.

Sounds like being musician.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

My dad forces himself to watch every Australian film that gets made. The rover is one of like 4 from the last 5 years I've been able to sit through whenbive visited.

We make lovely, pretentious, unfunny dreck in this country.

Animal Kingdom was my favorite movie of the year it came out.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like Sam Jackson's character is a little overbaked. Very, this is a metaphorical character, this is the metaphor we are working with. Which isn't necessarily a problem, but an awful lot of it comes from this on-the-nose dialog. That said, Jackson does a lot with it, he's perfectly cast.

In general, though, I'd say it suffers from thinner characters than Godzilla, both for the humans and the monsters.

There's a bunch of jokes, though the film doesn't always navigate the tonal shift from, like, a giant burning ape skull to a wisecrack as smoothly as it could. but if you want humor it's got humor.

Uh than these characters are invisible b/c there was nothing to the characters that Bryan Cranston didn't bring to it.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 2, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Bob Iger has to personally apologize to the leader of Kenya

Yeah, Obama isn't going to like this at all

Whooo got that joke in just in time

*gives self high five*

*thinks its 2011*

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barry lovs jokes about himself, he sometimes saunters into the office calling himself the Islamic Shock Barack Obama for goddsakes!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Now get this kids are into this cool thing called planking, what if we have Marion just balance herself on rails and columns, just working her core, a shredded Marion on Instagram, showing her abs and twitter followers

edit; A bass drop and Turn up for What plays as Marion refuses to stand up

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

loooooooooooool

"Will people not get access to healthcare due to this bill"

"What I can say is that there will not be any costs to the federal govt"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

"Medicare is a system that doesn't work for patients"

Did you just hear that? That was the horns, gathering the AARP hordes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007