Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

^At least they're not calling it a cinematic universe. Stupid disposable comedies have been doing the franchise thing longer than any other genre. American Pie vastly out stayed its welcome. The UK had that lovely Carry On series.

I was really surprised that The Space Between Us isn't an adaptation from the The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns guy because it's got a similar title and some manipulative emotional stuff going on. He seems like he's well on his way to being the Nicolas Sparks of YA lit. At the very least there's some good actors in it.

I'm predicting that both DC films this year will suck, but I'll probably see them in theaters depending on how bored I am around those times. Right now it doesn't look like there's anything else opening those weeks that I'm actually excited about, but that's not necessarily enough to get me out to see them. It's easy to pick apart Marvel CU stuff because a lot of it is pretty dumb, but the contrast between overall quality between the two franchises is stark. Marvel is obviously doing enough right, and DC is just a disaster.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Vin dropped out of the project so he could go star in The Pacifier instead so it's understandable if they were a little salty.

Edit: The Pacifier got terrible reviews but it actually made a bunch of money and completely outsold XXX2. It was announced in 2015 (10 years after it came out!) that a sequel is in the works.
A real sequel or one by WWE studios? They've got a few bald wrestlers right?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vin Diesel announced it so it looks like it'll be a real sequel, although I wouldn't all that be surprised if poo poo happened and WWE stepped in.

The ascent of WWE studios is just bizarre. Scooby Doo was one thing as their movie once a year model was going to resort to that eventually, but resurrecting Surfs Up! 10 years later is just weird. I'm sure the licensing deal was generous enough but it seems like they'd be better off writing something original at that point than messing with a property whose name recognition is long dead.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not really, their original films are awful as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Studios#Released
I'm not expecting good things here, on the other hand The Rundown is a fun movie. I'm just surprised they're bothering with the licensing deals when they could just make Asylum style ripoffs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I really hate nu-Metal James Bond. Post 9/11 nostalgia isn't something that should exist. It's kind of like German Ostalgia. We shouldn't want it back but people can't cope apparently.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My mom made me look away during Raiders' face melting scene when I'd watch it, taped off HBO. I eventually decided to keep them open and it didn't bother me that much.

VHS really lent itself to repeated watchings due to lack of other options, ironic in that it's the home format that holds up the worst to that. I guy I work with was babysitting his niece one day and the only thing she wanted to so was watch Howard the Duck on repeat.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dexie posted:

Oh gently caress that creepy rear end show. My mom used to watch it all the drat time. Just the sound of the theme song was enough to keep me from being able to sleep. :argh:
I lost a bunch of sleep from this one episode where they suspected this guy had been dissolved in a vat or something. I couldn't wrap my 4 year old mind around their use of a dramatized "re-enaction" of the events they suspected had taken place. In this case it was an unconscious guy being winched into a vat of something, and me trying to get my parents to explain why they hadn't caught these guys if they knew what they looked like as their faces were right there on the screen. Why my parents thought it was ok for me to watch this at age 4 I'll never know.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We watched the 60s version of Romeo and Juliet in 9th grade, from way back when you could flash some tits in a PG movie. Nobody got in trouble. Now the PG rating is probably the least represented rating outside of NC-17.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

We watched that too, and I'm pretty sure the actress was under 18 on top of everything else.
Wikipedia says Olivia Hussey was 15 at the time. At least it wasn't real explicit, just a couple of seconds when she rolls out of bed.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Young Freud posted:

I have heard she was wearing a bodysuit to make her seem she was naked, but I'm not sure if that's happened.
It was more than a decade ago and VHS so I couldn't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a bodysuit. It was the 60s and people got away with all kinds of poo poo back then.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

My 9th grade english teacher showed us the 90s Romeo + Juliet so we could laugh at it and then the 60s version also she was kinda lazy.

Other good school movies: The Great Gatsby (Robert Redford vers.), The Name of the Rose, The Mission, The 13th Warrior (IN MIDDLE SCHOOL! we had to bring permission slips)

e: now that I think about it I took an undergrad class on Beowulf where we had out-of-class viewings of some old german adaption of the Volsungs from like the 20s, the cgi Beowulf and the 13th Warrior so that's twice I've sen 13th Warrior in school :O
Why in the gently caress did everyone get to watch The Name of the Rose in high school. I never discovered Umberto Eco until afterwords.

We got stuck with A Seperate Peace.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chieves posted:

My jazz band teacher didn't care at all by the end of the year so we spent the final few weeks of the year watching Braveheart, Event Horizon, Run Lola Run, and Office Space.
I was in "Music Appreciation" in 7th grade because I didn't play an instrument. We mostly watched musicals. I enjoyed it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We watched The Odyssey miniseries in 6th grade. I've had a crush on Bernadette Peters ever since.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The most "reaching" I ever saw for a movie day was in Earth Science. Teacher explained what a diamond in the rough was, then put on the first 50 minutes of Aladdin. She was still a great teacher.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lobok posted:

Sean Connery's one handsome motherfucker.
It's a great movie, I just don't think most people have ever heard of it. Then everyone chimed in that they watched it in high school.

I skipped out on our basketball team going to state so there were three of us in physics one morning. Our teacher told one of us to go to the movie room in the library and pick something out, so we watched The Sandlot.

I don't suppose anyone remembers a series of science videos where the information was presented through framing sequences in a white, maze-like, cgi museum?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You're my hero. I couldn't remember what it was called at all.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We watched Stand and Deliver in 7th grade math. I left very inspired, but still haven't learned calculus :smith:

Supersize Me came out while I was in high school and we watched it 4 times because teachers kept assuming we hadn't seen it yet. I really hated it after the second time through.

The movie we probably watched the most in school was Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, several times just in elementary school. They let us vote on what we wanted to see and it won, a lot. The school did a thing where we decorated the classrooms once a year based on a book so in 4th grade we had a very movie influenced classroom decorated with a shitload of colored paper.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 11, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

So is this or Baywatch gonna be the better "Greenlighted because of 21 Jump Street" movie?
Which one has Dwayne Johnson?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well, it made slightly more money than Prisoner of Azkaban which was the low point of the original movie series. All the other Harry Potter movies made between $879m and $1.3b.
I'm surprised POA did the worst of the series. I've always thought it was the best one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

Since someone mentioned this and brought up The Departed on the same page I feel like I need to mention that his character in that movie was similarly the least believable serious cop in an otherwise pretty solidly okay film. It's like they wrote themselves into a corner and realized they had reached the end of the movie and, aside from losing Madolyn, nothing horrible had happened to Colin Sullivan so they went back and wrote in a completely useless rear end in a top hat cop caricature into a few scenes (where he doesn't, y'know, do anything actually related to the story or cause anything to happen) and then had him available to shoot Sullivan at the ending.
The same thing happens in the movie it is a remake of.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Skwirl posted:

One of us definitely needs to re-watch Infernal Affairs,because I'm pretty god damned it doesn't and the ending is the Matt Damon character gets away Scott free with a vague idea he'll be an honest cop from now on.
It's been a few year.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Flight has some weird tonal issues. It's also kind of disjointed at times. The love interest or whatever only shows up for part of the film to preach about AA and then goes away. Then there's John Goodman as comic relief which, while good, doesn't seem to fit the tone that well. It's an alright movie but it's kinda strange.
My viewing of Flight got ruined by a couple of no-poo poo alcoholics who talked through the entire movie and left several times to get more drinks, and didn't recognize the irony. They had a kid with them at the start, but stashed him somewhere half an hour in.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

did ice cube make a cameo

I haven't seen it but he's in the commercials

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apocalypse was worth it for the Quicksilver scene alone, but there was a lot of dumb poo poo going on in that movie. Such as Hugh Jackman's cameo which was entirely pointless fan service. Additionally the whole new timeline makes my head hurt.

BvS and Suicide Squad both sucked, though the latter was slightly better in that it wasn't completely boring. The whining from comic fanboy edgelords about bad reviews only cemented my opinion further.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

isn't his benghazi film the most right wing?
Yeah. Dumbass lawmakers were citing it as evidence that Hillary lust for the death of ARE TROOPS.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Hilary is not portrayed nor even mentioned nor even implied to exist in the film, it's almost an entirely apolitical retelling of the events
Not directly but there are uncaring non-soldier types there as stand-ins to confirm the fever dreams of rural morons that the Obama administration callously left them to die because reasons. I'm not accusing Bay of making right wing propaganda on purpose, but what he did make is highly irresponsible and inaccurate.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is the DC franchise going to fail this early?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Or Tim Burton!
Depp can do his mo-cap work from rehab.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't think Gibson can make it that long without doing something unforgivable.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I will watch whatever Dune movie they put out. It's a bizarre enough story that you'd have to be eating stupid pills full time to make it not be at least an interesting failure.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

precision posted:

Now that some time has passed, are we still calling Suicide Squad a failure for angering comic book nerds and critics or still calling it a sleeper that connected with demos they weren't even aiming at?
I believe the issue was that critics hated it and that made comic book nerds angry. They acted like comic book movies don't get treated fairly by critics despite the fact that most of Marvel's efforts have gotten pretty good ratings and raked in a lot of cash. Their edgy wet fart movie deserved the lovely rating it got.

From my outsider's perspective it seems like DC authors and fans need to get over the whole Joker schtick. Particularly The Killing Joke, which came out 28 years ago. It's time to move on.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Does The Hot Topic Crowd even exist still? Did it ever?
There were enough of them to justify a store in every mall. They probably get their dumb poo poo through some subscription box service nowadays though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I've got some bad news for you buddy ...
They're still around and just resurrected the Tandy brand.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Timby posted:

I was going to say Green Lantern wasn't that long ago, but holy poo poo, it's been six years.

Anyway, while Apocalypse certainly didn't flop, it under-performed by a not-insignificant amount.
There's a weirdness saturation that can gently caress you as in The Spirit. Being relatively obscure certainly didn't help either.

None of the Fantastic Four movies did all that well so I'd say the modern movie going public just doesn't want them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Or most of the other Avengers, or hell talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Guardians was a bit of a surprise because they got talented people to turn an obscure comic book into a fun movie that appealed to a lot of people. FF just seems so dated and uncool though that I doubt it could be sold to a modern audience. Trying to make it gritty and slapping Miles Teller's doofy face on it only made it worse.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

She was in Suicide Squad so this is a step above that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People cried about The Departed winning, so I rented Babel to see what they were on about. It was terrible.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Hurt Locker kept Avatar from winning so it's cool in my book.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is Brokeback Mountain at all effective for someone who doesn't get upset about the idea of gay cowboys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty sure I haven't heard anyone say anything about SIL since it came out.

• Locked thread