Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Saw Assassin's Creed... honestly couldn't believe that it was by the same guy who did Macbeth last year. Or how many good actors they got to be in it. (Rather, how they could afford to get so many good actors in it.)

The XXX trailer was in front of it. All I could think of was, of all the franchises to bring back, what made them think this was the one to go to? Though I suppose the original XXX was kind of a template for the Fast & the Furious movies around 4 or 5 when they finally turned it into "street racers who are actually secret agents". Fill it with enough xtreme sports and suggestive lipstick lesbians and I suppose it will do good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I bet Weyland-Yutani gets name dropped

Prepare for the AvPvBRCU

Didn't Ridley Scott already claim this was the case in one of the Prometheus blueray extras? Something like how Weyland and Tyrell worked together and how the Weyland-Yutani androids are based on Tyrell Replicants.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I was really surprised that The Space Between Us isn't an adaptation from the The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns guy because it's got a similar title and some manipulative emotional stuff going on. He seems like he's well on his way to being the Nicolas Sparks of YA lit. At the very least there's some good actors in it.

Red Bones posted:

I haven't read any of John Green's books (and they seem pretty hokey) but he's made about 200 episodes of a pop history programme on youtube that I liked. I wish him all the best on his journey to Nicolas Sparks level wealth.

Looking over Wiki, apparently all of John Green's book adaptations were written by the same two guys, who also did 500 Days of Summer... and the upcoming adaptation of the book about Tommy Wiseau and the filming of The Room.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also that intro scene where an obvious James Bond stand-in goes into some kind of rave club and gets himself killed

They really were trying to make Xander Cage the 21st century James Bond and it was embarrassing

Makes sense in a way, considering XXX came out within a few months of Die Another Day, which was the 007 franchise trying to ride the same type of 90s extreme stunt stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Cameo posted:

It's why a lot of sci-fi, period pieces, and fantasy movies are the real horribly expensive stuff (as something like Star Wars or Lord of The Rings has zero capability for a brand to show up in it)

Although there's always stuff like Nissan having the Rogue One tie-in car, or Denny's having a tie-in Hobbit menu. Also why the Nokia product placement was so jarring in the 2009 Trek.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Cameo posted:

So yeah, Trump's pick for Secretary of Treasury is the guy who helped pay for Mad Max Fury Road. It's also where the weird thinkpieces calling Suicide Squad the "Trumpiest movie of the year" and how it's categorically more than just bad as a normal movie came from.

Haha, wait, what? How could anyone even argue this? What does that even mean?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In the original novel, wasn't the Phantom from Persia?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Parasol Prophet posted:

My greatest childhood fear was the X-Files theme song. Not even the opening itself-- I'd be in a completely different room, hear it start playing, and just freak out until my parents muted the television.

Same here, but for Unsolved Mysteries.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Simplex posted:

The trailer seems to give it away that one of the splits is a literal monster. I'm not really sure how that is supposed to work, but given M. Night's recent work I don't particularly care to find out.

I never saw The Visit, but isn't it supposed to be good?

got any sevens posted:

I'm surprised there isnt a modernish version of Beauty and the Beast, like set during ww1 or 2 with french girl/german officer, or like israel/palestine kids, or something halfway to romeo/juliet.

I think there was a romance novel over the last few years that had a Nazi death camp guard falling in love with his secretary who happened to be a Jewish woman posing as a Christian and at the end of the book she saves him as they both convert to Christianity. More broadly I feel like hearing that "Nazi officer and Jewish girl posing as Christian in Holocaust" was a minor trend in romance novels overall recently.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

MacGyver also had a mid 90s revival with a handful of TV movies and then disappeared again

The last of the MacGuyver TV movies featured a young Lena Headey in one of her first roles.

Phylodox posted:

I'm looking forward to the 80s Action Dramas Cinematic Universe.

"I'm here to talk to you about the A-Team Initiative."

As disappointing as the 2010 A-Team movie was, I wish it had gotten a sequel. Though on the other hand the scrapped sequel instead led to The Grey, so I'm happy with that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

The beginning part of the A-Team movie is fun but then by the end it just kind of collapsing under its own weight and has this weird bit where all of a sudden Bradley Cooper is in charge?

This is my thoughts. There are parts of it I like, they had great chemistry, but for some reason felt the need to end the movie with Face becoming the planner/leader and taking over Hannibal's catchphrase... a lot of great moments but the ride, especially near the end, was too bumpy. Plus you just don't do an A-Team movie where you introduce the van in the opening and then destroy it five minutes later.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

He particularly misogynistic? Was he upset about Starbuck becoming a woman in the reboot series?

I'll let him tell it in his own words:

http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/home/articles-readarticle.php?nid=5

The funny thing is that originally before the new BSG miniseries aired, he did a promotional interview with the new Starbuck actress to promote it and was supposedly the one who convinced a then-reluctant Richard Hatch to give it a try.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Didn't he soften his stance? Because I've seen him in photos with Katee Sackoff after BSG ended and he didn't look pissed off about it.

Really? The only pictures of them together I've ever seen are from the pre-miniseries interview. I remember when the A-Team movie came out he went back to criticizing BSG, too. He also called the movie "The Gay Team".

syscall girl posted:

Isn't there a funny video of Katee Sackhoff and him in a Starbucks?

I can't find it but it seemed like a nice reconciliation thingy.

Yeah, this was their meeting in 2003, before he had his change of heart about the show. It was included on the BSG miniseries DVD, not sure if it made it onto any of the other BSG DVD releases.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I know why this got greenlighted, but ugh the book was so bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTUUoQ3FRLE
Also, the trailer spoils the ending lol

For some reason, I thought that Joss Whedon was attached to this.

Also, I had no idea until now this was written by Mike Carey of Lucifer fame. Dang.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched Sleepless today. Apparently it's a remake of a French movie but comes across as a very blatant ripoff of Taken (down to an ending that is a completely unearned setup for a sequel scenario that is the same as Taken 2) except the majority of the film is set within 5-6 repeated hotel settings. Scoot McNairy is capable of being a good villain but was terribly miscast here. It's just a dull slog, which is a shame because the beginning does show signs of promise. Would have been at least a bit more interesting if Jamie Foxx actually was a corrupt cop and not an IA informant. Given that they give this away in one of his first scenes, but then don't mention it again until what would be an otherwise twist ending, I wonder if they actually decided to do this originally but went back on it after getting nervous about having a corrupt cop be a hero..

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

got any sevens posted:

The climax of Dr Strange was a breath of fresh air compared with the usual punch-bad-man-harder type of victory.

My big problem with the Dr. Strange ending was, why didn't the villain just set Dr. Strange aside in some prison and say, "All right, I won't kill you, you'll just sit here for the next ten billion years while I get back to work"?

I mean, I try not to nitpick stuff like this, especially with a comic movie, but that immediately came to mind while watching that scene in the theater, and I don't think I missed (but maybe I did, granted) any reason the movie established why that wouldn't work.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I want a Lovecraftian being whose weakness is the existence of black people.

If I remember right, one of Lovecraft's deities is actually described as being a black guy. I think Nyarlathotep.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That brought me to the news that there's an adaptation of Larry Niven's "Inconstant Moon" coming out.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/arrival-producers-plan-new-sci-fi-film-director-james-ponsoldt-968523

It's funny because for some reason I was just thinking of this story not too long ago, years after having read it.

It will be funny if this ends up becoming Niven's first big-screen adaptation after Ringworld being in development hell for decades.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, Mel Brooks.

Along with The Fly and Frances.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One of my favorite parts of The Rock is that, in the middle of a straightforward action movie, it casually gets mentioned that aliens are real and no one is actually shocked or responds but just keeps focusing on the problem of the rogue Marines.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

The soundtrack is so good, an early Hans Zimmer masterpiece. This closing song is a favorite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nzB0PqYw1s

The Rock has a great score, but also kind of funny that Zimmer reused parts of it in both Gladiator and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Affleck is out as director of The Batman, which has been having production troubles for a while and what looked like Affleck being less and less enthused about being Batman. Matt Reeves is one of the rumored replacements, but who knows at this point

Reeves is a solid director, I wouldn't mind him doing Batman. I'm pretty excited for War for the Planet of the Apes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think it depends on the outcome of the Wonder Woman and Justice League movies, to be honest. And even then if they have a bad reception I don't think it will kill it. Cripple them maybe. And they'll probably struggle more with the lesser known DC heroes.

That said, Suicide Squad did very well, despite the fact it was a) about relatively unknown characters, sans the Joker, Harly Quinn and Will Smith, and b)complete trash, so what do I know. :shrug:

I mean, no matter how good they might end up being, I think it can be assumed at this point that anything DCEU related will get a bad reception.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Denis le Menis

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

A Ghola's Purpose

A distrans is released of the ghola being pushed into the water of life against its will as the CHOAM representative does nothing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like DOFP but it's impressive how much I thought the Rogue Cut improved it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Had to go see A Dog's Purpose with my girlfriend. It made me wonder about why that movie was made. Even without the whole dog abuse thing, the movie seemed designed to make its core demographic (huge dog lovers) cry for the entire movie. I did laugh at the realization that the director's name is Lasse and that one of the main actors is named Pooch. Also how Douglas Quaid's character's father is driven to alcoholism by his nihilistic response to the prospect of nuclear war in the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Which you should definitely watch. In general it's one of the greatest war films ever made and that scene in the screenshot is the most memorable moment in the film (and the line is what he actually said). The character in the shot is General Pickett and if you know even a tiny bit of Civil War history then you know what has happened.

The sequel, OTOH, you can ignore.

Pretty sure that's Joshua Chamberlain, not Pickett.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I would be overjoyed if there's never another zombie movie or series or w/e ever again.

It does seem like the zombie craze is on its way out, the lesser vampire craze having pre(re)deceased it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kiimo posted:

Next they'll have a repeating day vampire movie. Sure you gain immortality but it's just the same day.

Well, that's kind of Edge of Tomorrow, just without using fangs to get the blood.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not really, the Twilight craze began and ended during the Obama presidency

Now I'm wondering a world where Mitt Romney won and making Mormon interpretations of various horror tropes became the norm.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Among the strongest in the nation, in fact, maybe owing to the fact that their activity is so visible.

It's funny to think that Ronald Reagan and Charlton Heston were both president of one of the most prominent unions in the country.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just saw John Wick 2. I liked it better than the first. It's so completely insane and in the best possible way. I've seen a few reviewers mention that it feels like it's adapting some comic or novel given the heavy lore in it, but the movie builds it up in a way it never feels clunky, no matter how convoluted or out there it is. The international society of assassins bind themselves to each other with Pirates of the Caribbean medallions signed with their blood? The assassins put in their jobs by calling into a central headquarters that's a combination of Brazil and 1950s switchboard operators run by hipster secretaries in pink shirts? The mafia celebrates the coronation of a new leader by having a huge synthpop concert in a Roman temple? It all makes complete sense in the world of the movie.

The ending fight is in an amazing setpiece, too. Peter Serafinowicz also had a great cameo as a Q-type role. I even liked Ruby Rose in it.

Guy Mann posted:

Flying guillotine with backup turkey decapitator arrow for optimized head-removing combat potential.

I remember the TV show had a secret society that would go around and decapitate immortals with a guillotine to make sure no other immortals would get their power through the Quickening.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sirotan posted:

It's been a while since I've watched it but I feel like it was really good and fun until about the fourth/fifth season when it started to get a bit convoluted. The scenes of McLeod remembering his past were always really well done, the costuming especially. It's possible I'm just biased since I always thought Adrian Paul was drat sexy and extremely talented especially with all the martial arts bits. It makes me sad that he didn't have a better career.

The only person from the Highlander TV show I remember ever seeing anywhere else was the guy who played Methos having a bit role as Stryker's soldier henchman in X-Men 2. Actually, I also think one of the first season episodes of Highlander was where I first saw Marion Cotillard.

But yeah, the first few seasons at least of the Highlander show are decent enough to still enjoy. I actually think the overall mythology of the show is pretty good as it continued, but there are definitely later-season plot developments that drag it down.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Sounds like there's some more forward motion on the American version of The Raid as Frank Grillo has been cast as the lead.

Wasn't he already in one of The Raid movies? Or at least some other movie with the Raid guys?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Phylodox posted:

The most noteworthy thing about Jupiter Ascending to me was how it felt like there was actually a very interesting universe filled with fascinating worlds and characters and all kinds of compelling stories happening everywhere except on-screen. Like, for whatever reason the Wachowskis decided to tell the most boring part of the story. It felt like it should have been a tie-in comic book to fill in someone's backstory or something. And just when the story shows some promise (okay, so how is Intergalactic Space Queen Mila Kunis gonna handle her new genocidal empire?) they cut to her having space rollerblading lessons and end the movie.

In terms of the plot and backstory of Jupiter Ascending, it actually reminded me of if The Phantom Menace had been the first Star Wars movie and you went into it not knowing about Jedi, Sith, the Force, lightsabers, the Old Republic, Jabba, etc. Not to mention stuff like great set and costume designs in service of truly clunky dialogue and boring subplots. For the record I liked Jupiter Ascending, even if it is definitely flawed.

CelticPredator posted:

Why can't people ape Hamil, or Nicholson? Or fuckin Ceaser Romero over Ledger?

I don't think Suicide Squad is great (also don't think it's as bad as it's reputation) but I actually really liked Leto's Joker, especially in the extended version. I don't think it's aping Ledger at all. Really, I think he's closest to Hamill (which I guess makes sense given Harley Quinn being the main focus of his development in the movie). Really, I have to give Ayer or whoever wrote it credit that they included one of DC's most popular characters and instead of building him up as this giant legendary figure that dominates everything like he's usually portrayed, he's basically a secondary-tier character at best where, especially in the extended version, he basically is the one who is overwhelmed by Harley Quinn's personality rather than vice versa.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I saw A Cure for Wellness. Wasn't bad overall, but fell apart near the ending. Plus it could have been 30 minutes shorter (common refrain for movies these days) and lost the entire Wall Street exec component. For all people compared the trailer to Shutter Island, the movie isn't really like it at all. Actually in terms of plot it kind of felt like Gore Verbinski was trying to make up his own Gothic horror story (there are clear visual and/or thematic allusions to Frankenstein, Dracula, The Monk, Castle of Otranto, Dorian Gray, Invisible Man, Alice in Wonderland) that this movie was then a sequel to.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kiimo posted:

Godzilla is prehistoric?

I thought he was a radiation side effect.

I purposefully didn't look up anything before posting this, I did think it was due to all the atomic testing. Is that not accurate?

In the 2014 Godzilla movie, he was an ancient creature who was awakened by the radiation from the launch of the world's first nuclear submarine, the USS Nautilus (which was in 1954, the date of the original Godzilla movie, probably why they made that connection).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Pentagon Wars was a smart way to portray the huge levels of incompetence and graft that goes on in military equipment procurement because it's a process that largely takes place in board rooms, offices and design studios. All they needed was one Bradley and some uniforms really, and that hardly breaks the bank.

The same with In The Loop. A movie all about the Iraq War, but entirely set within legislative office buildings and without the name "Iraq" ever even being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

He's a cop.

He's an orc.

ORC COP!

From looking over the wiki article, it seems like the villains of the movie are an elf gang.

• Locked thread