Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Deepwater Horizon was a bit, well, cheesy at times but the whole build up to the disaster and then hell breaking lose was fantastic. I'm glad I saw it in the bioscoop theater, because there is no way my lovely home setup could come close to that audio experience.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I only watched the original which was dumb as all hell, never saw the sequel.

Although it cracked me up to find that they shot this pretty vindictive extra which made it onto the XXX 2 DVD where they use a body double to kill off Xander Cage in a very gruesome way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48rLcHu2Yc

It could have been worse, they could have used a shot of the stunt actor dying during the first XXX! (he both lived and died for this poo poo)

Fun fun fact: he died on the second take of a stunt. They ended up using the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oh yeah, I said something about Underworld: Blood Wars in my terrible end of year summary.

quote:

Underworld: Blood Wars - A terrible movie that is saved by a scene near the end that made me laugh so hard. It features the male protagonist and the antagonist charging at each other while firing guns and screaming out loud. Only to find out that they are both bulletproof because of the uber blood they have been snacking on. Queue drab melee fight, because it couldn't get better after that.

Also, the viking vampires (all of them Aryan as gently caress) fight with (cross)bows and swords. The werewolves attacking them all use guns. Are they dishonorable or are those vampires just dumb as hell? Spoiler: it is both.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 2, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The twist is that it's a crossover with Death Race.

Please?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Has there been a product placement thread in CD before? Seems like a topic with a lot to discuss and dissect.

You mean the Transformers thread?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

That Wayne's World clip is way too subtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1YV2T-4wgs
(skip to 0:19)

spoiler alert: Mountain Dew wins

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 5, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Are we getting any video game property movies this year?

Beyond Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter it seems there is just a whole bunch of TBA and speculation when it comes to video game franchises. I think the closest thing that is actually happening is another CGI Resident Evil movie.

I think a Sly Cooper movie was planned for this year but that probably got shelved somewhere deep after the Ratchet & Clank movie.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 5, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The movie that hosed me as a kid was Laserblast. It's probably a low budget piece of trash in hindsight (it got the MST3K treatment at some point) but something about the lead character slowly turning into a mindless ghoul really got into my head.

TBH it's not really the kind of movie that should air on an early Saturday afternoon. I saw it on a TV channel that had launched about a month earlier and I guess they still had trouble filling the gaps in their schedule. They also aired The Guyver on Sunday afternoons. Seeing an animated series with that much gore and screaming definitely was something new at that point in my life.

Edit: I meant to say "hosed me UP" but I'll just leave it like that because it's amusing.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 8, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Eastwood's latest good movie is Sully, drat it. It has Tom Hanks knocking it out of the park in a role where he doesn't get to shout and cry. Made me cry like a baby.

It's a good movie dragged down by it pretending there was a huge conflict that didn't happen. I know movies based on a true story aren't going to be 100% accurate but with Sully it was blatantly obvious they were exaggerating and creating villains because they feared the facts alone weren't entertaining enough.

My issues with Sully are somewhat similar with those of Deepwater Horizon. Both are fantastic at depicting the disaster scenario and it's immediate aftermath, but both are also bogged down with the scenes that are deemed to be necessary to make it an "actual" movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

precision posted:

What was the last great Spike Lee movie? Chi-raq was beautiful, bombastic nonsense but I'd hesitate to call it great.

Inside Man from 2006? I'm not that familiar wih his work after that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I was under the impression that the bad cop doesn't die until Infernal Affairs 3 (with 2 being a prequel).

Edit:

quote:

In mainland China, an alternate ending for the film was created, in which Lau exits the elevator and is informed by Cheung that the police have found evidence that he was a mole. Lau hands them his badge and is arrested without protest. The sequel, Infernal Affairs III, uses the original ending instead of the alternate one.
lol

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 16, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I wouldn't mind a foreign remake of Lady in the Water. I think there are filmmakers in other countries would could do wonders with such a premise.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

and since marketing doesn't care about spoiling that film any more

Will it feature a scathing critique of modern beauty standards since Smurfette is all artificial?

MonsieurChoc posted:

With Trump elected, they should adapt the Smurf King comic instead, where one Smurf is named head of the village in Papa Smurf's absence and ends up going full dictator with golden Smurf hat and throne room and stuff.

That had to be Brainy Smurf.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I made a thread for Underworld: Blood Wars if anyone else saw it and wants to gush about how hilariously loving awesome/awful it was.

I'll have to remember that thread when somebody finally uploads a clip of the main bad guy and male protagonist firing their guns at each other. I want to see that scene again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh my loving god I know right? I thought whoever originally mentioned that scene was kidding

Hahaha, that was me. It truly is magnificent.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

did ice cube make a cameo

xXx spoiler: He shows up at one point and blasts some fools. Basically, he is a deus xXx machina.

I'm very proud of that pun.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If I go in expecting hilarious garbage, will I still end up hating it? How well does it fare compared to Underworld: Blood Wars?

Underworld is hilarious at times because it plays it straight. The new xXx is a dumb action movie that knows it is a dumb action movie, but it while it is somewhat fun at times it is never funny. Xander Cage is still written like an x-treme version of James Bond: he makes cheesy comments, has sex with all the ladies, pretends to be a cool cat while behaving like a rebel without a cause. It was a terrible character back then, it is a terrible character now.

They try to give this movie the Fast & Furious approach when it comes to the cast, by having a wide range of cool dudes and ladies. What Xander Cage really needs however is a sidekick, a straight man, that constantly calls him out on his stupid poo poo.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 19, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I hope the screenwriter for Collateral Beauty watched Split this month and got schooled on how to add a last minute twist that isn't terrible.

To be fair, maestro Night Shyamalan has the advantage when it comes to things like that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

One of the supporting cast's super powers is causing spontaneous rave parties loving lol

He is a fun dude, he can't help it. Don't hate!

Just how like the The Hound can't stop crashing his car (he would be the worst member of the team in a Fast & Furious movie).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

that sounds like the dumbest video game in history. japan is hosed up.

Forget it Jake, it's a mobile game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

He was wonderful as a smug bad guy in the Divergent movies, but they killed him off in the second one. Truly a lovely series.

Edit: His Australian accent in The Water Diviner also was top notch!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 23, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

Are the Divergent movies any good? Because all I ever hear about them is "didn't make any money, hopefully we're done with two movies per book cash grabs now."

Ever since I saw the first Divergent movie I have loved to hate them. They're terrible and I went to see them in the theatre because they are terrible. When I say that Jai Courtney is "wonderful" in those movies that's because his character delights in being the bad dude among all the mopey, overdramatic characters the movies offer.

Want a good young adult series? Watch The Hunger Games.
Want a young adult series to watch with friends and crack jokes about? Watch the Divergent trilogy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I'll be seeing Resident Evil this week because you have to see a movie like that in a month like January, ya know.

BTW there is actually a Resident Evil thread in CD if you feel like revisiting the entire series after this grande finale: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761657&perpage=40

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

well why not posted:

I just bought a year-long cinema pass. I live 5 minutes from the cinema. I'm going to be seeing a lot of movies this year, and I'm excited to share the best and worst with my pals in CineD.

:hfive:

I've had a similar thing going on for the past 3 years and I've yet to walk out of a movie. It's amazing what you can stomach when time is the only thing you are spending.

I'm sure the cinema would appreciate it if once in a while I bought some popcorn to go along with my ticket stub, but I usually just eat somewhere before/after the movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do love how in the intro to RE3 they tell you all the oceans dried up for 'reasons' but they completely ignore that kind of important plot point for all future films in the series.

Clearly at time of Resident Evil:Apocalypse the desert one Extinction the series was going through it's rebellious teenager phase. Except it didn't turn emo, it turned Mad Max.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Had great hair and makeup, clearly.

Between Killer Croc, Enchantress and Joker I think there's enough to justify a nomination.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

One more reason to watch the adaptation of Orwell's 1984 I guess...

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Clearly they are going to pick God-Emperor of Dune for its mass appeal.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I shall always think of the Baron the way he looked in the (first?) Dune game.

:allears:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

AlexF posted:

I've seen John Wick 2 five times now (working on the German dub and all...) and it didn't get old yet. Quite the opposite. There's so much stuff happening and not explicitly spelled out that you'll pick up new things with every viewing. Without spoilering anything: I still don't know how you even begin to put together and then shoot something like the last set piece.

We also got a bump in rating. Part 1 was 16+ and part 2 will be 18+ in Germany (very much comparable to NC 17 stateside), so you all get to look to forward to much more close race face shooting.

Does the German voice actor who dubs Keanu dub every movie he is in? I know that is a thing in France, I'm curious if that applies to other countries too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

AlexF posted:

[awesome German dub stories]

Thank you for not just answering my question but also sharing that with us. I enjoyed it very much. I think the reason for that is because live-action dubbing is uncommon in The Netherlands (making it very fascinating). And when it happens it's all shows and movies aimed at children.

This is the article that inspired that question BTW (a great read if you want more foreign VO stories): https://medium.com/matter/what-it-takes-to-be-the-french-jennifer-lawrence-9177abe68534#.m8sr5quq0

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

This got tweeted out by the twitter account for The Great Wall before being hastily deleted: https://streamable.com/o2vcc

I wonder if that's a WIP shot or if it's actually in the movie. Because if it's the latter I might actually want to spend two hours to see it while it's still in glorious IMAX 3D.

got any sevens posted:

Why not just use subs? That's what I prefer, so I hear the real voice and the original actor's inflection during a scene.

I wish someone would greenlight a modern version of Emperor of the North.

Dubbing live-action movies in countries like France and Germany has been a thing for more than half a century. At this point it's not about what is practical or accurate, it's just what they are used to. It's like asking Americans to use Celsius or asking Brits why they don't drive on the right side of the road.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 9, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I would have loved to see Hail Caesar! but for some reason it had a limited release over here. I think it only aired in the arthouse theatre of the nearby city.

They advertised the hell out of it on television though so I have no idea what was up with that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

MrBling posted:

I'm assuming by Mads you mean Mads Mikkelsen? He has done lots of comedy, its just all in danish movies. They're all really good though.

Adam's Apples is fantastic. I'd link to a trailer here but none of them do a good job portraying the dark comedy in that movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Great Wall would be a better movie if they actually used it in it's entirety instead of one section. They also abandon the wall altogether in the final act.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Does he do the split while having sex, because that would certainly warrant an elaborate buttocks shot.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I would have liked The Nice Guys a lot more if I hadn't seen any trailers for it. The trailers had some creative editing but they still gave away a lot of great scenes. I think the most memorable scenes for me ended up being all things that were not in the trailer (like Gosling seeking cover on a rotating car platform, Gosling grabbing Crowe's leg to look for a non-existent ankle revolver).

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

No movie has ever made money.

Warner Bros account(ant) spotted.

Lemon posted:

I almost liked God of Egypt but that lead hunk (not Jaime, the human) was just so, so bad. Easily the worst acting I've seen in a long time.

Look forward to more of that in the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Femur posted:

rethinking this, Butler was the one collecting treasures to beat his dad? Was he suppose to be the hero?

He felt like his father didn't give him the recognition he deserved and favored the other gods. His father explains that it was all a test to see if his son was able to take over his job as the defender of the earth. Queue Butler throwing a tantrum, killing his father and being perfectly fine with everything being destroyed.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 21, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

How old is the Bruce Wayne in the series at this point?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

A lot of the "no skeletons in china" talk probably comes from seeing video game companies altering their own artwork/models for a release in China. From what I've heard that is not required tho, they basically alter things that might lead to objections by Chinese officials so that there won't be anything delaying the release of the game. They play it safe to be sure they don't miss out on a huge market.

I know Valve went as far to expand these changes to a "low violence" mode which also removes a lot of the blood.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 27, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Shoulda made a slow version of It's No Good the song for the trailer.

Or a slow version of this low hanging fruit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwdlqquJDK4

I saw that video so many times in a single year back when The Box was around.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 7, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Len posted:

Ones a giant lizard the others a giant monkey so there's two options either a fight to the death or a fight to a stalemate so they can become bros in time for the next movie.

They'll have to join forces to beat a giant werewolf at which point it is revealed that you are actually watching an adaptation of arcade classic Rampage. The movie ends with the three of them demolishing skyscrapers in New York.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

The placement of that sun is making me laugh like an idiot.

Somebody must have been a fan of this Fatboy Slim album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It seems almost like the best Jared Leto movies are the ones where his character dies or is forced to suffer greatly. And then there's Chapter 27, a movie for which the actor suffered by gaining massive amounts of weight, yet nobody watched it.

And the mention of Tomb Raider has reminded me of another fantastic soundtrack album, the one for The Beach. It even has a great Sugar Ray song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJas7Q_yXXY
(that might be because it's a cover of a song by Cale & Eno)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 10, 2017

• Locked thread