Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

precision posted:

Suicide Squad was much better than it had any right to be.

Not really much of a bar to clear

E: To be clear, it was dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

Suicide Squad is more worthy of an Oscar nomination than most of the comic book movies last year.

Not a high bar by any measure

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

precision posted:

Why did Kubo flop so hard anyway? We watched it the other night and it's absolutely fantastic, it seems like something that should have been a massive hit :confused:

I had no idea it existed until well after it was out of theaters. I assume it didn't have much of a marketing budget.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Chairman Capone posted:

If I remember right, one of Lovecraft's deities is actually described as being a black guy. I think Nyarlathotep.

Shub-Niggurath

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Lovecraft named The Black Goat Niggur

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Skwirl posted:

Nah, Bay is probably Hollywood liberal, but also realizes fascism pays better. His most humanist film (The Island) was also his only commercial failure, and then he re-used clips from it in Transformers 3, his most right wing film, there's gotta be at least some self-awareness going on there.

That's a pretty big assumption to make considering the political cluelessness of hollywood and people in general.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Robot Style posted:

There was an interview he did when 13 Hours came out where he was asked about his politics, and the only answer he would give was that he was raised in a Democrat household.

Edit: found it

A meaningless statement for a wealthy adult

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Skwirl posted:

The Transformers movies don't have any good guys.

In that they are all guys in bad movies

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Timby posted:

Uh ... what?

Netflix seems to have about 0 quality control for their original series/films, give how bad so many of them are.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Phylodox posted:

What it means in the short term, though, is that everyone and their brother wants their own streaming service with exclusive rights. So here in Canada, for example, you end up with cable-company owned poo poo like Crave and Shomi buying up the exclusive streaming rights to stuff so Netflix can't. So, if you want to be able to watch all the stuff you want, you either need to sign up for, like, five streaming services or wait for all the others to go under so Netflix can finally just buy up the rights to everything. Because everyone knows that's how it's gonna go down in the end, the cable companies just can't help being lovely about it in the meantime.

Canadian Netflix also sucks real bad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Lobok posted:

They tried to copy what Netflix was and now you're seeing them try to copy what Netflix has become. Amazon got into creating exclusive content for itself and not content with being a rental service, Apple/iTunes is producing its own content now as well. The landscape for "television" (whatever that will mean in a decade) is really changing.

I don't think the change will really take until every streaming service's original content is embarrassingly bad 99% of the time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
The Decepticon symbol is Soundwave's face.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I'd recommend watching episodes of the original Transformers cartoon like B.O.T., The Girl Who Loved Powerglide and Webworld (in which Galvatron goes to Therapist Planet) before pontificating on the deeper meanings of the Transformers films. Really puts things into perspective.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

kiimo posted:

At first I thought he was gonna fellate him.

Lincoln could use it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

you know gigabit should be the norm right. and at like half the price people pay for say 70 down.

google fiber should literally be the baseline in this country.

Google is no longer rolling out fiber in new cities. Guess they either got bored of it or decided they had gotten enough goodwill out of it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Americans whining about telecom costs should have a look at the prices in Canada or most other countries.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 28, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

DeimosRising posted:

Sure but unrelated and irrelevant.

Not when you're talking about internet quality. What good is a gigabit connection when you're behind the great fitewall?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

21 Muns posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films#Highest-grossing_franchises_and_film_series

Franchises on this list that are having new entries in 2017:

1. MCU (Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok)
3. Star Wars (Star Wars: The Last Jedi)
6. Batman (The Lego Batman Movie)
7. X-Men (Logan)
8. Spider-Man (Spider-Man: Homecoming)
9. The Fast And The Furious (The Fate Of The Furious)
10. Transformers (Transformers: The Last Knight)
11. Pirates Of The Carribean (Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales)
19. Despicable Me (Despicable Me 3)
22. DC Extended Universe (Wonder Woman, Justice League)

So, how do you think this list is going to change over the course of the year?

Unless The Last Jedi severely underwhelms, Star Wars will definitely overtake Harry Potter. It's clear that nothing is surpassing Middle Earth; that's simply not within even the most optimistic projection for anything beneath it. Entries 6-11 are basically getting scrambled; I suspect Batman will stay ahead of X-Men because I find it overwhelmingly likely that Lego Batman won't fall $304 million behind Logan. I also suspect that Spider-Man will surpass X-Men and perhaps Batman, though I'm less sure of that; Spider-Man: Homecoming is definitely one of my picks to make over a billion dollars this year. Despicable Me and the DCEU will both obviously jump many places whether their entries this year succeed or fail; we'll just have to see whether it's a little or a lot.

Fifty Shades Of Grey will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Fifty Shades Darker makes a little over 1.5 billion dollars, three times as much as its predecessor. This is exceedingly unlikely. King Kong will likewise make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Kong: Skull Island makes 1.5 billion dollars - three times as much as the 2005 remake. Kong: Skull Island will also take Universal's "MonsterVerse" (:barf:) to the highest-grossing franchises list if it makes 1.7 billion dollars. Thankfully this is all also exceedingly unlikely. Smurfs will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Smurfs: The Lost Village makes 1.3 billion dollars (about four times the revenue of The Smurfs 2) but this will almost certainly not happen - for one thing, Sony doesn't seem very intent on promoting it. Guardians Of The Galaxy will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if it makes 1.5 billion dollars, about double the original - this is at least vaguely realistic, as it now has a built-in audience that didn't exist the first time around. Alien will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Alien: Covenant makes 1 billion dollars, two and a half times what Prometheus made. Unlikely. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Long Haul makes 2 billion dollars, twenty six times the revenue of Dog Days. This is basically guaranteed to happen. The Mummy will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Mummy (2017) makes 800 million dollars, a little under double the most profitable movie, The Mummy Returns. This is vaguely realistic (because of inflation) but unlikely. Cars will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Cars 3 makes 1.2 billion dollars, more than double 2011's Cars 2. I would definitely not bet on that one. Amityville will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Amityville: The Awakening makes 2.1 billion dollars. Uh huh. Planet Of The Apes will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if War For The Legend Of The Ape Planet's Gold makes 600 million dollars; this is strikingly likely as 2014's entry, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, made 710 trillion dollars. Lego will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Lego Batman Movie and The Lego Ninjago Movie make more than 1.8 billion dollars in sum. Supremely unlikely, but I'm not going to rule it out. Annabelle will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Annabelle 2 makes 2 billion dollars, less than eight times the original! No. The Nut Job will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature makes 2.1 billion dollars. Kill me. Flatliners will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Flatliners 2 makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. Blade Runner will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Blade Runner 2049 makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. My Little Pony will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if My Little Pony: The Movie makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. Kingsman will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Kingsman 2: Kingsman Queensman makes 1.8 billion dollars, or four and a half times its predecessor's revenue. Kill. Me. Friday The 13th will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Friday The 13th (2009) (2017) makes 1.9 billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made. Insidious will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Insidious Chapter 4 makes 1.9 billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made. The Franchise Between Us will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Space Between Us and The Mountain between us make more than 2.2 billion dollars in sum. Jumanji will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Jumanji (Are They Going To Add A Subtitle To That) makes 2 billion dollars. Pitch Perfect will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Pitch Perfect 3 makes 1.8 billion dollars. The Ring will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Rings makes 1.8 billion dollars. John Wick will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if John Wick: Chapter Two makes 2.2 billion dollars. Trainspotting will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Terminator 2: Judgment Day makes 2.2 billion dollars. Table will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Table 19 makes 2.2 billion dollars.

:v:

:regd08: :catdrugs: :downsbravo:

I didn't and will not read this post.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Dr Monkeysee posted:

At this point I just feel bad for DC.

I don't, they dug their own grave

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

ruddiger posted:

He did. It was called Terminator 2.

Terminator 2 is not a movie about Ellen Ripley you imbecile. you loving moron.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alien 3 is better than Aliens. Well, Assembly cut anyway.

Nope. The Assembly cut is fine but it's still not a particularly good film.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

To be fair you could say the same thing about the actual hypothetical Jodorowsky Dune movie if it were actually made. Super crazy and extravagant conceptual work almost never survives unscathed once it's gone through the realities of production.

If anyone could have pulled it off it would have been Jodorowsky

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Jodorowsky made insane elaborate stuff like the Holy Mountain and El Topo on small budgets. Imagine what he could've done with a big budget sci-fi film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srHNomLeX6E

DarkSol posted:

You wouldn't have wanted Orson Welles to play the Baron???

As an aside, you should really check out Jodorowsky and Moebius's "The Incal". Supposedly it uses a lot of concepts and ideas from Jodorowsky's Dune fever dream.

It does, as does the spinoff "The Metabarons".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Now that some time has passed, nobody cares

No one's going to be talking about Suicide Squad in about a year, year and a half. Maybe more if DC manages to put out a movie that isn't instantly savaged by every critic on earth.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

precision posted:

e: holy poo poo though, Crash kept Brokeback Mountain from winning? That's really awful. Didn't know that.

gently caress Crash

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'll give you Ledger but Ang Lee is awful.

I cannot loving believe that anyone on earth, let alone these forums, unironically enjoyed Ang Lee's tire fire that is Hulk

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

In bizarro world where good is bad and bad is good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Hulk has all the worst aspects of comicbook films with none of the good whatsoever

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Gatts posted:

Ang Lee is a good director and his Hulk was, maybe still is, top tier superhero movie.

Yeah, top tier to watch if you want to see a really bad movie

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

DeimosRising posted:

Haven't seen A Beautiful Mind but who cares? Why does this matter?

A not-insignificant number of people assume that films based on real people/events are accurate to reality

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Plus the actual story is usually much more interesting than the sanitized, made-up hollywood version

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

got any sevens posted:

I just didn't think much of that movie, didn't even look up how true to life it was.

Thank you for the important update

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I would be overjoyed if there's never another zombie movie or series or w/e ever again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Beachcomber posted:

If I remember correctly, traditional wisdom is that when Democrats are in charge, people are afraid of hordes of filthy Poors taking over everything. When Republicans are in charge the zeitgeist changes to cold, omnipotent, bloodsucking Aristos.

Not really, the Twilight craze began and ended during the Obama presidency

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

A lot of the actors, writers, directors and such are progressive. The people actually running the show aren't.

Yeah, the people with power are super conservative but every once in a while a movie comes out where a homosexual isn't demonic or a black person isn't a violent thug so hollywood obviously has a liberal bias.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Wouldn't he have made vaults of money from suicide squad?

I find it hard to believe that someone like Will Smith doesn't have enough money to retire whenever he wants to

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

Highlanders cannot fight on holy ground. Ramirez kneels to pray as he is beheaded. The quickening comes from the heavens. Connor is thrust into a Christ pose when he receives "the prize", also from the heavens, which manifests as winged demons. The prize is a way to bring peace to mankind. Methuselah is a 900 year old human being who is known for carrying the Sword of Methuselah which vanquishes evil and comes from pre-history, just as the Highlanders do.

But yeah there were some rad swordfights and songs. I think the John Wick guy could def hit it out of the park.

Conner is from the 16th century, significantly after history.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

But Ramirez specifically states that Highlanders go back that far. I'm not saying Connor was Methuselah, but that Methuselah was a Highlander.

Highlanders are not mentioned in any of the Abrahamic religious texts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Or just start swimming. Sure you'd drown at least a couple dozen times but eventually you'd wash up somewhere closer to civilization and come back to life. You'd just have to hope a shark doesn't eat your head while you're being whisked around the oceans for months by the currents.

I want a Highlander remake where some of the Immortals are animals

• Locked thread