Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

Monster Trucks - I'm going to predict this movie will be what 20-teens get nostolgic for in 2030, but it will do awful at the box office.

Actually it looks like unironically fun and good and will have a lukewarm box office reception at worst. So there :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A really funny choice

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

heh heh yeah, this movie is gonna loving SUCK hahaha

*secretly I think it will be good and at worst a cult classic for Gen Z*

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

My 11-year old sister really wants to see it, for what it's worth.

I guess some of us are just young at heart :colbert:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

There was a horror movie I saw as a kid that messed me up for weeks but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

It involved some people getting picked off on a large boat or cruise liner one by one by an unseen monster. And one of the women turns into the monster, at the end of the movie we see her awful CGI form tear a guy in half. And at the beginning of the movie the main guy has an incomprehensible vision about how everyone's going to die?

Might have messed up some details

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

precision posted:

Not for nothing, but that sounds identical to a student film I made and won an award for in the mid-90s :v:

Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Len posted:

That's because Nazis are unquestionably evil and it's completely acceptable to show whatever happening to them :colbert: :911:

This but unironically

Nephthys posted:

Nobody has mentioned Return to Oz yet so I will. Good lord is that movie just designed to be psychologically scarring to children from beginning to end.

I forgot about that movie, I guess to suppress the trauma

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gods of Egypt was enjoyable.

Mierenneuker posted:

Look forward to more of that in the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

I knew that guy in the trailer looked familiar.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

The most noteworthy thing about Jupiter Ascending to me was how it felt like there was actually a very interesting universe filled with fascinating worlds and characters and all kinds of compelling stories happening everywhere except on-screen. Like, for whatever reason the Wachowskis decided to tell the most boring part of the story. It felt like it should have been a tie-in comic book to fill in someone's backstory or something. And just when the story shows some promise (okay, so how is Intergalactic Space Queen Mila Kunis gonna handle her new genocidal empire?) they cut to her having space rollerblading lessons and end the movie.

The Wachowskis were planning to make a trilogy and the studio talked them down to one, which I assume resulted in a bunch of really good ideas being smushed into the film. So to some extent it wasn't up to them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

That's pretty adorable :3:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

An Alex Kurtzman film that is trash? How could this be possible!

How do he and Orci keep getting work? Have they never ever submitted a script late in their entire lives or something?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I saw Wonder Woman and thought the Bruce Wayne/Batman cameo was done a lot better than those of other heroes in previous DC installments.

Spoilers for those who are new to the DC cinematic universe.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what episode is this

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/wesleysnipes/status/876864082329993218

https://twitter.com/wesleysnipes/status/876865156894138368

What a card

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Electromax posted:

Man, I hope this lives up to my hopes like G'14 did.

With that cast and all those monsters, the budget cannot possibly be less than 10 billion dollars for it to not suck.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lobok posted:

Someone said that to me in the gym showers once.

:golfclap:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gonz posted:

Milana Vayntrub, the AT&T commercial actress, has been cast as Squirrel Girl.

Nice

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I'm legit excited for that Silvestri score. It's been a minute since he did a big action film. His themes are on point.

this tbh. it'll be the only worthwhile thing to come out of that movie

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

George Romero passed away at 77.

drat.

E: https://www.google.com/amp/ew.com/movies/2017/05/19/george-a-romero-road-of-the-dead/amp/

:(

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I didn't read the book, but for some reason I thought it was supposed to be a satire predicting that we'd reach a pop culture singularity that just keeps looping on itself, harvesting bouts of nostalgia that recur over decades

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Yaws posted:

Maybe Spielberg is aware that at 70 years old he probably only has a few more movies and he just said gently caress it. I don't know why else he'd direct this schlock. I can't imagine he's passionate about the book as it's sounds geared towards 20 year old introverts.

Maybe because he was involved with a lot of 80s movies/properties that are referenced in the books, and it's an exercise in self-fellatio.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Nah, he's specifically stated that he took out all the references to his stuff.

That's decent of him. Then I guess he's just a masochist who loves shlock

eugh.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ernest cline makes me furious. I want to be cool-headed and detached but whenever I think of that talentless nerd getting his big break over the next coen bros or coppola or kaufman I just want to give him a wedgie and steal his lunch money

ernest cline is tarantino for 80s pop culture nerds

kalel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 25, 2017

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gerard Butler plays General Texas, Quaritch's fraternal twin brother, and he's out for revenge against those terroristic aliens hindering America's, I mean, Earth's right to colonize the galaxy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The one thing I will always remember from asm2 is spidey shooting his web out to save gwen from falling, and the camera zooms in to show that the end of spidey's web forms a little hand shape

It's art, you see

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I like the bit in Raimi's Spider-Man where New Yorkers start throwing rocks at Green Goblin, saying "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us."

That was more jarringly unrealistic than any cgi in any of the spider Man movies

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

John Wick is what kicked off his renaissance, not the Matrix sequels, if that's what you read my post as. John Wick made people realize "holy poo poo, Keanu can actually loving act nowadays!" and turned him from kind of a running joke to a genuine hot commodity.

You're joking, right? I think Reeves' acting in John Wick is the worst he's ever done. The action is good though.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Well, I guess I shouldn't be surpise because Fox did let Allen Gregory aired with its constant rape jokes.

Jesus Christ, I forgot about that show. Thanks for reminding me (sarcasm)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I still like 2014 Godzilla, personally. Generic Soldier Protagonist dude was boring, but I think it was a good call to use Big G sparingly. Keeps it impressive when he is on screen, especially in full view fighting the Mutos.

What the movie desperately needed was making the human parts, when Big G isn't on screen, more interesting.

This easily could have been achieved if Bryan Cranston's much more interesting character was not killed off to give Motivation Fuel for the god awful protagonist. The reverse would be a lot better imo, because Cranston could've carried the film even if that was the only change.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what I wanna know is, who's the joker who dropped the ball by not calling the movie The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nut-ure

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rick posted:

I saw a trailer for it during The Emoji Film.

I'm so sorry

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Robin Williams was such a nerd he named his daughter after Zelda.

Not Zelda Fitzgerald either, the actual 8-bit NES game.

And then he starred in a commercial for a Zelda game with his daughter

And then he killed himself :(

The moral of the story is, don't play Zelda games

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I too would like to see a cowboy version of Batman with Joker having a relaxed southern drawl (that's the only incarnation of Joker I could imagine Goggins inhabiting)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

K. Waste posted:

No one said adventure stories had to be optimistic

I think the issue is more that LOTF is not a loving "adventure" story

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

jaws loving SUCKS

E.T.? oh aliens, oooh how original!

jurassic park? a movie about fuckin dinosaur puppets? ooooh so-o-o-o scary! heh heh, give me a drat break spielberg *jerk off motion*

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lobok posted:

We all thought the first batch of movies was maybe just a horrific accident.

But then the second batch hit.

:popeye:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mel Gibson's "Aladdin"

Woody Allen's "Star Wars Episode IX"

Roman Polanski's "The Lion King"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

I'll save you the suspense. It won't. It'll be fine, servicable even. And will provoke a positive shrug.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

raditts posted:

What movie are we talking about here again?
e: oh, literally "It" hahahaha :downs:

I made the same mistake, and knowing me, I bet I'll keep making it as long as It's in theatres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

You know that you really don't care anymore as there's no emotional weight and there's never a meaningful opponent to wick as he carves through infinite dudes running into frame with no regard for their own life

Thank you. I really don't understand the appeal of John Wick 1 & 2. They felt so hollow to me. Why should I care about the main character? Am I supposed to be wowed by Reeves killing faceless mooks in the same exact way 1000 times? Am I supposed to think the films are somehow "above" other action movies because the mobs bleed R-rated-ly?

Watching them made me wish I was watching Die Hard or Terminator instead

kalel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 15, 2017

• Locked thread