Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My 11-year old sister really wants to see it, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

We saw Usual Suspects in English class and had to notice all the hints.

We also saw a bunch of movies when our history tescher got sick: the Dreyfus Affair movie with Richard Dreyfus, loving Pearl Harbor, Schindler's List, a bunch of documentaries.

In french class we got to see Lumumba and Apocalypse Now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's our good friend Lucy Fayre.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

With Trump elected, they should adapt the Smurf King comic instead, where one Smurf is named head of the village in Papa Smurf's absence and ends up going full dictator with golden Smurf hat and throne room and stuff.

Edit: And instead of the stupid New York stuff they should have just adapted the comics where they team up with a french Knight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ElectricSheep posted:

You know what they call popcorn in France?

Maïs soufflé.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Femur posted:

was kinda thinking of my favorite Bay movie, is the Rock a conservative movie?

On the one hand, the villain has a pretty noble goal, but it is only noble if you consider just following orders noble in and of itself; and the mercenaries slaughtered the Seal team so fast, and some nerd became an action hero, what end of the spectrum is that?

It's the best Metal Gear Solid movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

The villains are veterans pushed to an extreme by a lovely system and left mentally broken by war. The US government has been illegally detaining and abusing an allies agent for decades because he uncovered state secrets about a presidential assassination and the main weapon of the terrorist is a horrific nerve gas the US Army has been gleefully manufacturing and got stolen.

It's not exactly pro-government.

I love how the villain talks about honor and poo poo while he and his men are responsible for atrocities across the world. American black ops aren't exactly honorable.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

He's still bitter about Alien 3.

Which like, makes me wonder why he didn't just make it himself. He obviously had an end goal in mind for Ripley.

I don't really remember if he ever talked about doing it on the making of's. Although I could be wrong. It's been a good few years since I've seen 'em.

Alien 3 is better than Aliens. Well, Assembly cut anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Last time I watched Prometheus I noticed they used the Giger design for the Harkonnen castle as the engineer structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZlj3KMSjZw

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I want to see Morbius the living vampire in a movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Plus the actual story is usually much more interesting than the sanitized, made-up hollywood version

This is why I hate The Imitation Game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alan Turing was someone who did some really ground-breaking stuff (none of which is explained or conveyed in the movie) and got treated terribly for the crime of being gay (which also isn't shown in the movie).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I know that guy and his hooba hop...Hell, I recognize Zorglub too.

Eviv Bulgroz!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

K. Waste posted:

My top picks for 2016's best bad movies are Meet the Blacks, London Has Fallen, and Gods of Egypt

London has Fallen had a tragic lack of Masters of the Bazaar.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cyber City Oedo 808 is the better Suicide Squad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Young Freud posted:

A live-action film would be hilarious just for how they handle Benten.

Cast Tilda Swinton?

...poo poo, now I want to hear her say the vampire line.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

At this point they should just do something fun with lower stakes like a longer episode of the cartoon.

All those promotional pictures and video they made to show it was the 80s just made me wish Apocalypse had been a normal 80s teen comedy with mutants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Peanut President posted:

Technically no dinosaurs break out in any Jurassic Park movies because they're not true dinosaurs due to the frog dna inserted into their code. :colbert:

Also the lack of feathers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Wait, if they faxed themselves to the past, they would just be creating a copy of themselves in the past, and the original ones would stay in the present. because faxing doesn't destroy the original document, only copies it in a remote location.

*has clearly watched/read too much sci-fi*

There's a french canadian sci-fi comedy show where they used Telefaxing instead of Teleporting.

I find it funny.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dissapointed Owl posted:

They're ashamed.

Or the special effects aren't finished.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Simplex posted:

If I were you I would probably be far more concerned with the relationship between the US military and Hollywood than Hollywood and China.

One of the things I'll give the Jeej, he made the military the villains in Super 8 and gave no fucks about it. That needs to happen more often.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gatts posted:

Beyond my wildest imagination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_25RK5GbJIc

Beyond good, beyond evil, beyond your wildest imagination!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gann Jerrod posted:

I prefer a world beyond your experience, beyond your imagination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzUlXEyvJeA

:agreed: but I was going for the exact quote.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

In the end, Kong isn't gonna defeat Godzilla, but he'll got the distance.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Len posted:

And boom there's the plot of Godzilla vs King Kong in a nutshell. Godzilla hears someone call Kong the King of Monsters and goes "Oh HEEEEEEEELL NAW" and they fight.

Seriously how is that a six writer job?

Edit: The real question will be is Kong Apollo or Rocky in this scenario?

MonsieurChoc posted:

In the end, Kong isn't gonna defeat Godzilla, but he'll got the distance.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I hate V for Vendetta, not because it's bad, but because it's not an anarchist manifesto like the original comic. I'm not an anarchist, but it jsut seems wrong to change a message like that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yet by ticket sales none even come close to Gone With the Wind.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

They should remake Master of the World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJruGxyHBE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's an ironic adaptation because the internet ruined everything.

Are you attacking Baywatching, one of the best things that can be found on youtube? :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk5Mew5stLs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Carpenter's producing, hopefully he'll do the score too. I loved both his "Lost Themes" albums.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As the title implies, the monster in the film is a plantlike 'life-spirit'. It has all the exact same traits as Groot, but is obviously not celebrated as this loveable spirit of nature with cycles of rebirth or whatever. LIFE, correctly, focuses on Groot's fundamental obscenity. Like his tendency to extend his roots into people - to eat them? Groot persists in the exact way that we say someone persists in a vegetative state. It's the Werner Herzog take on Groot:

"Kinski always says [the jungle is] full of erotic elements. I don't see it so much erotic. I see it more full of obscenity. It's just - Nature here is vile and base. I wouldn't see anything erotical here. I would see fornication and asphyxiation and choking and fighting for survival and... growing and... just rotting away. Of course, there's a lot of misery. But it is the same misery that is all around us. The trees here are in misery, and the birds are in misery. I don't think they - they sing. They just screech in pain. It's an unfinished country. It's still prehistorical. The only thing that is lacking is - is the dinosaurs here. It's like a curse weighing on an entire landscape. And whoever... goes too deep into this has his share of this curse. So we are cursed with what we are doing here. It's a land that God, if he exists has - has created in anger. It's the only land where - where creation is unfinished yet. Taking a close look at - at what's around us there - there is some sort of a harmony. It is the harmony of... overwhelming and collective murder. And we in comparison to the articulate vileness and baseness and obscenity of all this jungle - Uh, we in comparison to that enormous articulation - we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half-finished sentences out of a stupid suburban... novel... a cheap novel. We have to become humble in front of this overwhelming misery and overwhelming fornication... overwhelming growth and overwhelming lack of order. Even the - the stars up here in the - in the sky look like a mess. There is no harmony in the universe. We have to get acquainted to this idea that there is no real harmony as we have conceived it. But when I say this, I say this all full of admiration for the jungle. It is not that I hate it, I love it. I love it very much. But I love it against my better judgment."

This deserves to be heard in Herzog's own voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQyQnXrLb0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, in my playthrough she was more like a slasher villain picking off the dudes one by one with her pick and her bow after the first chapter.

And then she got a grenade launcher and everything burned.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

I was skeptical when Ridley didn't take the role but this looks good. Vikander put on enough muscle to make it look credible and she's a pretty drat good actress. Please be the first actually good video game movie.

I just replayes it again for the third time a few days ago, this time on hard. I was a bit disappointed to find that the most noticeable difficultly jump was quick time events being less forgiving.

Are you dissing The Wizard!?

...yeah, it's not a good movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare:

Hahahahahahahaha

When did these movies get badass all of a sudden?! The last one certainly wasn't!

The last one ended with Optimus blasting off into space to kill God.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I guess all I took away from that movie was Marky Mark's daughter dating a card-carrying statutory rapist and forgot all about the actual Transformers stuff :shobon:

Personally, I found the movie hilarious.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Man, even thou I hope that an Akira movie is stillborn, I would argue for Peele just to have it have at least one black male lead. Re-imagine the whole film as The Warriors meets Scanners and Firestarter.

Honestly, replacing 80s japanese motorcycle gangs with modern black gangs fits way too well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

IIRC, King is pretty mean to himself in the DT books. Roland really doesn't like him and has to slap him into dlfinishing the books.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Akira should be two or three films. End the first with AKira waking up, end the second with the Explosion or Kaneda coming back and then do the epic conclusion as the entire third movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That reminds me, the last time they tried to get an American Akira remake off the ground word got out that Testuo's name had been changed to Travis. :v:

http://screenrant.com/akira-movie-images-art-chris-evans-gordon-levitt/

I'm okay with Travis Touchdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

raditts posted:

Unfortunately they leaned hard into ninjas in the second season and it was lame, in accordance with the law of inverse ninja strength.

Terrible what passes for a ninja these days.

• Locked thread