Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Rubens stopped playing Pee Wee before the bust happened though, he was just tired of playing the character exclusively for so long and had already shot two seasons worth of footage for the show so it still kept airing after he stopped.

greatn posted:

Didn't he also have a private art collection of nude child paintings or something? Something that sounds really bad but was probably normal for an art collector to have?

He would bulk-buy collections of antique erotica like old physique magazines and such, the allegations were that since it was all so old there was no way to tell if every single person in them of age but it wound up being thrown out since it was such a nebulous charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Hollywood wants people to think that their movies are always bombing because it makes it easier to not pay taxes on anything ever.

The one big failing of the Sony hack was that they didn't dump any incriminating Hollywood Accounting records.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

got any sevens posted:

The careers of Adam Sandler and Mike Meyers are examples 1 and 2. Also Fight Club.

And on the other end of the spectrum you have Josie and the Pussycats, a movie literally wallpapered with product placement and logos yet was completely satirical and never got a cent for any of it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

Odd that Lowtax would get the money and not, like, the poster that came up with the idea.

SA is just a giant work-for-hire scheme.

It's a better idea that trying to claim ownership of the concept of Let's Plays and that the creator of Minecraft should be paying dividends since it's why his game got so popular, at least.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SciFiDownBeat posted:

heh heh yeah, this movie is gonna loving SUCK hahaha

*secretly I think it will be good and at worst a cult classic for Gen Z*

The trailer looks like a perfectly fine and fun movie for kids, the backlash seems to be entirely because of the huge budget and the lengthy delays of its release.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

I mean...he's 69. That's one of those ages where, if you've taken care of yourself, you can still be pretty healthy and active. My dad's 68 and he still kayaks and bicycles and poo poo.

Artists change and evolve over the course of their career, even if their actual skills or physical condition don't regress asking one to imitate their work from 40 years ago is a great way to wind up disappointed. Best case scenario you get something like Giger's mural in Prometheus where it was in his newer style and looked distinct and new even if it was a depiction of something he had painted back in the 70s and was still recognizably his work.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay I really want to see the original design. (Though I wonder if some of the kids were REALLY little- like 1 or 2- and that biased the result somewhat.)

There's literally no way that that is real, dude.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MItMDkc343M

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I won't watch Dog Hindu but I will watch Milo and Otis.

I think it's one of those one dead clown is a tragedy, 10 dead clowns is hilarious kind of thing

Also the Milo and Otis thing is entirely speculation.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Shazam movie is now getting a Rock-focused spinoff for Black Adam (called Black Adam)

They're remaking the 90s Sinbad movie?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

dont even fink about it posted:

I know a lot of the hot festival films I am watching lately are overhyped, that's for sure.

The Hamlet 2 effect.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tars Tarkas posted:

Will Neko Atsume break the video game movie curse? Maybe....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5R0M-NKISA

It has to have several cat buttholes on screen at all times to be accurate to the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was good. goofy i can agree with. i couldn't wait for it to hit youtube since it was the only good part of the movie.

Magneto breaking bad after his wife and daughter was killed deserved a better movie, if only because mass decapitation strikes me as really gruesome for PG-13 even if it was technically bloodless.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Casimir Radon posted:

Is the DC franchise going to fail this early?

Peoples' dissatisfaction with BvS and Suicide Squad is going to be reflected in Wonder Woman and Justice League's box office, unless there is some killer word of mouth there's no way they won't be even more of a disappointment for WB.

As someone who actually liked Affleck's Batman in BvS I really don't have much interest in his stand-alone movie because all the stuff that made him interesting was more or less undone by the end of that movie when he got over his paranoia and stopped killing people.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DarkSol posted:

This won't be nearly as crazy or awesome as Alejandro Jodorowsky's vision for Dune. :smith:

To be fair you could say the same thing about the actual hypothetical Jodorowsky Dune movie if it were actually made. Super crazy and extravagant conceptual work almost never survives unscathed once it's gone through the realities of production.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Casimir Radon posted:

I believe the issue was that critics hated it and that made comic book nerds angry. They acted like comic book movies don't get treated fairly by critics despite the fact that most of Marvel's efforts have gotten pretty good ratings and raked in a lot of cash. Their edgy wet fart movie deserved the lovely rating it got.

From my outsider's perspective it seems like DC authors and fans need to get over the whole Joker schtick. Particularly The Killing Joke, which came out 28 years ago. It's time to move on.

There was a small but very vocal group of DC fan boys who complained about Suicide Squad's poor reviews, up to and including starring a petition to get Rotten Tomatoes shut down, but most fans of actual comic book movies that I saw complaining about it were doing so because of the movie being a mess with a disappointing villain/threat.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's hard to top Around the World in 80 Days winning best picture in 1956.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjiCO8k6Jhg

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I don't really want to play long games right now but I want to play it eventually because it has one of my favorite features from the Arkham games: loving around and eavesdropping henchmen

You can play through Tomb Raider in a weekend and if you love eavesdropping and clowning on thugs it's a great game for that.

"SHE'S GOT A GRENADE LAUNCHER!!! :supaburn:"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Flying guillotine with backup turkey decapitator arrow for optimized head-removing combat potential.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tars Tarkas posted:

The cool thing is that isn't even the ugliest movie toy of 2017

Here Lies Beavis
He Never Scored

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, Vice is expanding their media empire to distributing movies. The Bad Batch, previously mentioned in this thread, got picked up and a trailer dropped a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUqfP1S-9ok

For some reason this reminds me a lot of LISA and that is a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MonsieurChoc posted:

All those promotional pictures and video they made to show it was the 80s just made me wish Apocalypse had been a normal 80s teen comedy with mutants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0

I thought overall the 80s stuff was the weakest use of a historical setting compared to how First Class and Days of Future Past used their time period. Probably the best thing to come out of it was using Star Wars to make the "the third movie is always the worst" joke about The Last Stand being awful.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

It even failed to live up to the gimmick of being a movie shot entirely in Disney theme parks because there are huge stretches of the movie that are shot on sets and green screens.

Not that there wasn't some impressive stuff, like a scene at a crowded Disney resort theme park that looks like it was filmed with a crane shot despite a bunch of oblivious tourists splashing around around them. Or scene where two people meeting on the same ride with their cars going in opposite directions, which must have taken forever to get the timing down.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Crichton reused the plot of Westworld so much that even Timeline was about a company trying to build a theme park and everything going wrong, only this time the gimmick was that they were using time travel to build a theme park in actual medieval times.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this! posted:

Except for the part at the end of the book where he forgets and they go and visit the grave of the guy who stays back in the past.

Also at the end of the book they straight up murder their CEO in cold blood by stranding him back in time in the middle of the Black Death. He never even really did anything particularly villainous aside from maybe being a little incompetent but gently caress you, Michael Crichton has authority issues so you deserve to die.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

got any sevens posted:

Godzilla movies are great for that. https://youtu.be/-1Y7ODRjzCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0ED9BB-VA

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

Actually you'll find that in Dr. Strange they were able to get to and save Hong Kong "in time." ;)

But for real ANY time I speak to anyone who cares deeply about China pandering or whatever, it always comes down to them just not wanting non-white people in their precious genre movies.

It's true, I remember so many people happily gushing about how Will Smith wasn't reprising his role in Independence Day 2.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't understand how Sleeping Dogs was successful enough to get a movie adaptation but not successful enough for a sequel.

It was published by Square Enix, they lean so heavily on their Western studios to subsidize their Japanese devs' wastefulness that games like Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider and Deux Ex can be bestsellers that sell millions of units and still be considered failures because it still wasn't enough to get them out of the hole they had dug themselves into. http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/26/4148780/square-enix-missed-sales-targets-sleeping-dogs-hitman-absolution-tomb-raider

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nerds are desperate to convince themselves that Snyder is actually producing Satire.

Actually nerds hate Snyder because he's a big dumb frat guy Fake Nerd ruining the sanctity of their precious comic book adaptations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

Malaysian. He's playing an original character that apparently shares a lot of scenes with ScarJo.

This Pilou guy does look Chris Pratt-y. Unsurprisingly, he was also in Game of Thrones.

Are his eyes looking in different directions?

I get more of a "Joshua Jackson during a particularly bad off-season of Fringe" look from him.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Aside from the Daft Punk score my favorite thing about Legacy was Michael Sheen in maximum scenery-chewing glory beneath his bishounen fuckboi wig and makeup. A future Tron movie could benefit a lot from more of that kind of irreverent levity applied to a computer world, especially if they hope to invoke the internet in the same way that Wreck-It Ralph 2 promises.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TTBF posted:

Does anyone have that article about this? I remember aside from the refusal to give assistance, there was also stuff like refusing to allow certain movies to be played for the benefit of military service members because the content angered the brass. Like the word-for-word quotes from high ranking military officials in Thirteen Days or some Clint Eastwood movie where an American soldier shoots someone who has surrendered.

My favorite story was about how in the the 50s or so they got really upset about a film that was "black fighter pilot and jewish fighter pilot overcome racism to become heroes in WW2" and they watered it down to "a black fighter pilot and a jewish fighter pilot fly some sorties with the full support of their white colleagues"

A good recent one to bring up is how the military completely refused to let The Hurt Locker use any actual equipment or locations or provide any sort of expert consultation because of its anti-war message. Because then after it won Best Picture the one big :stoke: against its portrayal of the war on terror was that the technical details of the way it portrayed things like bomb defusals and sniper duels were totally inaccurate and it's like gee, now whose fault is that?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tars Tarkas posted:

What if Maid Marian was "serious and truly gritty" and also Margot Robbie?

http://deadline.com/2017/03/marian-margot-robbie-xxx-hot-spec-1202027334/

I misread that as Mad Marian and for a second thought they were making a gender-swapped Mad Max.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

Now get this kids are into this cool thing called planking, what if we have Marion just balance herself on rails and columns, just working her core, a shredded Marion on Instagram, showing her abs and twitter followers

edit; A bass drop and Turn up for What plays as Marion refuses to stand up

The Sheriff of Nottingham was elected by inciting the populace of Sherwood Forest against the lazy entitled duodecimcentennials while actually being responsible for everyone's misery by ruining the economy in the first place.

Oh yeah, and, uh, Maid Marion fires a bow while dabbing and Friar Tuck is an alchemist who vapes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lobok posted:

What was Game of Thrones pitched as to HBO? It's like Lord of the Rings meets Deadwood!

HBO is a premium channel, they don't care about ratings because they don't have advertisers and instead only really care about attracting and retaining subscribers. Having an adaptation of one of the best-selling books of the time is a great way to attract a huge audience that may not normally give a poo poo about the usual HBO programming while the gritty violence and sexposition gives it an air of edginess and respectability that helps reinforces HBO's image and would make it appealing to people outside of the usual target audience of fantasy, it was definitely an expensive risk but it was hardly a huge gamble.

Especially since the first season doesn't have any actual expensive magic or dragons and they even cheap out on the big battle scene towards the end by knocking out the POV character and having him wake up during the aftermath. It only got really extravagant in the later seasons when it was a proven success.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

Robocop had nothing to say about selfhood tho.

The original Robocop is about a machine that thinks it's a man. The Robocop remake is about a man who thinks he's a machine.

Come to think of it the Robocop remake also had an assy remix of the original's theme and promo material that looked awful because the effects were unfinished...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

How did it take this long for a Just Cause movie? I never played 3 but JC2 was like Bond meets Crank: High Voltage in game form.

Just Cause 2 is a fun game but aside from the relatively unique Southeast Asian setting the only thing that was interesting about the story was watching a bunch of Swedish game developers horribly mangle the English voice acting for every other character. And the action with the grappling hook/parachute/jetpack is physically impossible so they would either have to scale it back to something way less entertaining or do everything with weightless cartoon people and be super boring.

Also it's kind of funny that one of the defining things about Rico Rodriguez is that he's one of the only Mexican video game protagonists who isn't a gangster or a drug dealer or a luchador but they couldn't actually cast a latino actor for the role.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HannibalBarca posted:

The Godzilla 1998 marketing campaign was possibly the most cringe-inducing thing in advertising history, in retrospect.

It did give us that one Sprite ad taking the piss out of it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't know which ironic continuation of Masters of Doom I find funnier: John Romero's rockstar persona leading to him trying to Kickstart a new game with a video of himself re-enactign the end of The Force Awakens but no actual gameplay footage and then cancelling it after just a few days when even Kickstarter knew better than to trust the guy behind Daikatana sight-unseen, or John Carmack's inability to relate to other people and focusing on technology above all else leading to him being responsible for the current wave of VR games that are floundering because they're too expensive and technical to find an audience outside of other rich nerds.

Also John Carmack is currently being investigated for fraud and lost a lawsuit from his former employers for being a thief and then trying to cover it by wiping his hard drives, which is delicious coming from a Silicon Valley shithead who wants to get rid of the minimum wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

Second Renaissance was a good story, but not a good "Matrix" story. Nice worldbuilding, and it kind of made the machines sadistic assholes, with the "humans as batteries" thing a flimsy justification for enslaving humanity.

Maybe they'll fix that battery poo poo and say the pod people are for distributed computing.

Wait, really? Granted I haven't seen the Animatix in like 10 years but I thought that the whole point of Second Renaissance was that humans were more or less directly responsible for everything and that once they had little erased themselves from slavery the robots were happy to coexist as equals. It was only us trying to genocide them in nuclear hellfire without warning or provocation that made them finally turn on us, and even then they offered the Matrix as an alternative to outright extermination.

• Locked thread