Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

syscall girl posted:

I remember seeing lowtax tweet mild outrage at it but not cuz he wanted the money. He just seemed ashamed for the ARG crew.
Odd that Lowtax would get the money and not, like, the poster that came up with the idea.

SA is just a giant work-for-hire scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz2k21 posted:

The other was the scene in Akira at the end where that dude mutates and some chick gets crushed in his body, the way she just disappears into a pool of blood freaked me out.
It's not just that she disappears... You see a few frames of blood filling the meathole she's trapped in and just an eye hanging there as it goes dark.

That movie was pretty :stare::stonk: for a kid. First was the scene with Kaori getting her top ripped off and punched. Wtf was that? Cartoon titties?:crossarms: Then Kaneda has his first big freakout and dreams he's dropping his viscera everywhere.

I have no idea why, but the scene with the Bunyip from Dot and the Kangaroo was loving terrifying to me at 4.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pierson posted:

Yeah but when I was an idiot student "sword types as firearms brands" was like the funniest joke ever.
Yeah but not as good as SWORDGUNZ from Final Fantasy 8

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MacheteZombie posted:

The whole movie takes place in McAvoy's mind
Or The Beast is actually that girl he kidnapped or something.

God I remember first watching that trailer in the cinema. I've never gone from :gizz: to :flaccid: faster than when I saw M. Night's name pop up

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

You'd think the creators of zombie fiction would realize that zombies are so stale and overplayed that they have to come up with a dumbass euphemism like "hungries" just to avoid people tuning out.

White America doesn't need that now that Trump won. Their postapoc dreams of slaughtering ni-- errr necros are about to come true.

Plus new RE brah so why bother

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 14, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Clint Eastwood stars in What if Old and Racist But Good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
More like Tom Hardy. Jesus what a picture.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's a cute game with a nice art aesthetic.

Then you play it last about 4 hours and you realize everything will take 12 hours to build and you lose all sense of care.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wandle Cax posted:

Wow they had no chemistry but creepy is really pushing it, they are literally both the same age. Anyway Genesys was really stupid but I also really enjoyed it.

First time I saw the trailer I could have sworn the premise was they picked up Sarah when she was teenager.

Girl looked like a kid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neo Rasa posted:

Jai Courtney getting any work as an actor at all is still a mystery to me.

Remember when David Schwimmer was pushed as some romcom lead?

Hollywood gets some weird hangups sometimes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It was a big cannon with HST's signature double-thumbed fist at the top, which launched his ashes out of the hole at the center.

I imagine much of that was spent paying the engineering, fabrication, permits and for the after party.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Young Freud posted:

Except the zombie craze started during Bush with 28 Days Later and the Snyder-Gunn Dawn Of The Dead remake. There was a lot of terrorism undercurrent at the beginning of the zombie craze.
Walking Dead the comic version also dates to about that time.

Walking Dead the TV show, however, is basically a chapter point at the turn of zombie media into a doomsday prepper's libertarian power trip.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I remember liking the Animated series because at least some of that was going around collecting Immortal Knowledge that could be used against the bad warlord guy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Cameo posted:

... and wasn't in fact taking the piss out of the marketing formula that got us five insane Michael Bay Transformers movies
In his zeal to provide bleeding edge commentary, he neglected to make his product "good".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Can I just say how much I disliked the line in the trailer for USGitS where someone says that Kusanagi is the first of her kind?

Maybe I caught it wrong and they're directing that to the Puppet master, but if they make her some kind of super unique trailblazing cyberwoman it just loses so much of what made the world cool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The last few months I've been thinking of that 90s Lost in Space remake film. Imagine my surprise when it popped up on Hulu or Netflix or something.

How the gently caress did that get released? Literally nothing for Lacey Chabert to do. Hardly anything for Heather Graham either.

And they wasted Gary Oldman's Dr. Smith evil guy climax by making him an unrecognizable CGI mishmash.

His 'I am. A. GOD" speech is laughable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Robot interface was cool, Matt's Cyberhelm coming on like some snakeskin Dead Space poo poo was lame though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Jurassic Park: Kakapo would be chill. Just a bunch of fatbirds making GBS threads and humping everything.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Red Bones posted:

Are the monsters in Godzilla and King Kong just meant to be long lost prehistoric beasties, or are they supposed to be from space or something.
Prehistoric. Though I think the running theme in USzilla 2k15 was 'Godzilla is like the Earth's immune system and will emerge to seriously gently caress poo poo up so watch out humans'.

In the old series they're one part ancient lifeform, a dash of 'what has science wrought by its perversion of the natural order'. Then they start running out of ideas and it's all 'yeah this is a super robot we built off of the remains of an Area 51 timedrone and also we forgot to scan for life and this apex bacteria merged with the Godzilla Cells we were cloning to find a cure for Cancer and now we have to send the robot in to fight the TimeGermX.'

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Logan was pretty drat good so I'd like to bless whomever looked at the flaming wreck that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine and thought it sucked enough that they could go ahead with The Wolverine to wash the taste out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tars Tarkas posted:

Not sure if it is just part of some bigger thing or if they actually changed her name for the movie.
The movie is basically a drunk American trying to remember the plot points he read on Wikipedia, so I don't think we should be surprised when the character names change. I'll be surprised if she's not named Mira Carter or something. Or when the world is really "Pan Angeles, 2437" and we retread some dumb Oriental Supremacy plotline from the 80s where the Sino-Nihon Alliance is crushing our good American economy.

From the trailers, it seems like they've already made Cyberization some kind of edge case supersoldier Deus Ex I Didn't Ask for This bullshit, instead of an accepted part of society that mirrors our increasing reliance on computers/the internet (will full-body prosthesis being uncommon due to maintenance and cost, but not unique).

Her existence being prompted due to TERRISM instead of a horrible childhood illness or accident is bullshit though.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 3, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
These Superstar Programmers/Gaming Gods always turn out to be odd. I wonder if it's because games are more of a team effort and rely on a ton of things outside your control.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Godzilla is the true King of the Monsters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Barudak posted:

But thats the only good story in the Animatrix?

Second Renaissance was a good story, but not a good "Matrix" story. Nice worldbuilding, and it kind of made the machines sadistic assholes, with the "humans as batteries" thing a flimsy justification for enslaving humanity.

Maybe they'll fix that battery poo poo and say the pod people are for distributed computing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Equilibrium was just Fahrenheit 451 for the Computer/Millennium generation. It was stylish and fun and a great popcorn flick.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I haven't watched crouching tiger in a while, I wonder how well the spectacle stands up over the years (probably really well)
The actual fights are fun. I think my favorite has to be either the restaurant brawl or the girl fight. Of course, you're getting really highly polished Kung-Fu action instead of gritty brutalistic Bourne-style fights.

The connective story is really weak, but that was the case when it premiered anyway.

quote:

The "Matrix clone" movie that I loved (one of those movies where I forget if it came shortly after or shortly before the matrix) was Existenz though.
Existenz is a good mind-bender. I also liked the 13th Floor (or whatever it was titled). Both decent movies that got swept up as poor man's Matrix flicks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gatts posted:

Sex scenes in a movie can be awesome. Hot Shots!

Topped only by the hot sex in Team America: World Police.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

raditts posted:

There was a Golgo-13 series? I just remember in the '90s there was an animated movie that was good and then there was another one that was not so good.

Golgo 13 the 2000s anime is pretty fun. It's somewhat like an assassin Columbo, where he's given an impossible mission or some crazy complicated contract and he has to find a way to complete it.

He usually drops a gun off to be modified by his weapons guy and runs off to find someone to gently caress in the hour or two he has.

There's one contract where he has to snipe a billionaire on his bulletproof floating hedonism fortress and iirc Golgo bounces a bullet off of a wave to get the right angle.

quote:

How do these two things compare to one another at all?
The book reference or the generation reference?
Book = Oh No banned things Gov Lies Allegory of the Cave I've discovered the beautiful truth.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It was intentionally done and a completely incompetent move by the writers because it ignored what we had as the established rules of the setting.

Since the Nebuchadnezzar crew are schlubs in the real world, and powerful in The Matrix because they perceive it as a simulacrum, it's only rational to think that Neo's manifested power points to something off in the real world. Double that when Smith is able to mindjack someone.

Then the explanation is some faff about The One's Power Extends Beyond the Matrix.

Like gently caress, even the dumb "Neo's bodyports are like WiFi!" theories had more weight to them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neo Rasa posted:

I do remember them saying they had some ideas for *one* sequel to conclude the story before it got so huge it became a trilogy, maybe that would have turned out better than two sequels.
TBH they were in track to screwing the pooch from the ending sequence to the original. Movie should have ended with Neo's 'they may not be ready, but we'll show them' speech, with the screen doing it's freakout signal lost then turning off. Adding the badass RAtM walk away and subsequent Superman kind of loses what made Neo cool in the story.

Plus from there you have Literal Machine God in a dinky MMO so you paint yourself the gently caress into a corner.

Snowman_McK posted:

I feel like I'm missing something. Isn't that just a poetic way of saying Neo is like Wifi?
Clumsy, you mean.
I suppose the problem I have is that the ~intention~ completely mishandles the world we've been presented that it just ends up doing a disservice to the story, with an explanation that is literally summed up as We Wrote Something Cool to End With But Don't Think of the How too Much.

Reloaded basically tells us Neo isn't Machine Jesus as much as he's a Debugger Script. He then violates the laws of the universe and we're told that just happens sometimes because he's The One. When you consider this in light of how much information is given to establish the setting in the original, it just feels like lazy writing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Groovelord Neato posted:

not to mention how bad the burly brawl looks (and how it's one of those action scenes just for the sake of having an action scene) despite having sick music.
The irony is that they turned to CGI to construct that scene (running face first into the uncanny valley), throwing away what made the fights in The Matrix original and engaging (where CGI was sparse).
The work done with the Smith faceswapping is good enough for the time, but the digital actors parts are horrendous.

all the work they put in making the Bullet Dodge work as an optical effect was supplanted by computers in just a few years, which is pretty impressive when you think about it. But the work behind Neo's Dodge was really revolutionary on a technical level, and it was used magnificently as a narrative device in the film.

Similarly, Trinity's fly jump at the start of the movie was so engaging that I think it hooked a bunch of people.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grendels Dad posted:

Iirc the kid who saves the day in the battle for Zion is literally just called Kid. Think they could have gone with That Guy, too.
Dumb name is dumb, but IIRC that's the character from the Animatrix short that talks to Neo, and gets Agentchased at his school. Kid's Story.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I kind of thought they were on a Villain kick with Maleficent. But it looks like they couldn't pass up the easy money to make a live action B&B, instead of a live-action Gaston! film.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FishBulb posted:

Where the gently caress tickets cost 20 dollars?
As someone said, 3D, Dolby Atmos, IMAX Laser, DBox and premium theatre rooms (with fancy chairs, to seat food delivery and stuff) easily run up there. There's also a chain called iPic Theatres which are supposed to be premium bullshit as gently caress, and I think their tickets are base 25-35.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tars Tarkas posted:

American Akira is back again for the 4000th time!
Ooh ooh, let me try.

Childhood friends Kenny Aida and Tommy Sudo are teenage wonderkids chosen to be part of the Government's elite Kinder program. When Tommy begins having strange visions of Albino children and a strange underground complex, Kenny makes contact with a rogue reporter and the two discovers an insidious plan with a connection to the secretive Active Kinesis in Receptive Adolescents group. With time running out, Kenny must commandeer a prototype smart bike to escape the Kinder and save his friend from project AKiRA.

Staring that white kid from The Last Airbender, some other cracker, and, uh, I guess Angelababy as Kelly the reporter sure why not.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm assuming they aren't going to market and produce a 90s era video game console
That's correct, because whomever thought they would go through the trouble of making a 'Gametendo 32' to market and sell is a loving idiot.

It makes much more sense to craft a fake game that's essentially Mario Party and have the characters get all nostalgic about it.

Just like Fix it Felix Jr. was a pseudo Mario clone.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MonsieurChoc posted:

The last one ended with Optimus blasting off into space to kill God.
Those films are all terrible, horrible examples of stakes raising without any actual stakes.

Like, CyberThulhu and Evil Spock hollow out the earth in T3. Also the US government brutally murders a bunch of Autobots before T4. I guess Unicron comes by in this new one or something
??

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Joel Schumacher's JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
I'd rather have Baz Luhrman do that one.

Everyone trots out David Lynch's Evangelion, but to do it right it would have to be Lynch one month, then Cronenberg's Evangelion 1.0 the next.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No, I didn't Was this sent through interdepartmental messaging?

The manga was different from the anime which was different from the TV series which is different from the movie.
But the very least, the changes were interesting in light of the time they were made in.

The hollywood outing seems like the most generic "They stole her life" 80s action bullshit. They probably don't even have the decency to be all Total Recall about it and say "They Stole her life, except she volunteered for it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Casimir Radon posted:

What's the thread consensus on Power Rangers anyway? Some of the reviews of seen say it's too moody and doesn't spend enough time being fun.
Nah. If you enjoyed the series at all as a kid, you'll most likely enjoy the 1:45 worth of Angel Grove Breakfast Club with SupahPowahs.

Remember how TMNT 90 had that big stretch in the middle where the team needs to Find Their Way (complete with bonding over a fire pit)? That's pretty much the tone 3/4 of the movie has.

The actual ranger suit parts aren't as good, and by then the movie definitely seems rushed. They fight a Putty horde and jump into the zords, but man do the zords feel pretty good (even if they look like TF concept art). Jason is written as the core of the film, but Billy by and large runs away with the film.

• Locked thread