Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The MSJ posted:

Transformers 5's global gross is just over half of Transformers 4 so it's not like China can do much. China is again the highest-grossing market, albeit at $290 million vs Transformers 4's $320 million.

I think it's the new writing team and the marketing. The previous 4 movies were pretty straightforward good robots vs bad robots deal. This new one tried to add in stuff about King Arthur and WW2 and it probably confuses people. Plus they had 4 movies by the same director already so it's also franchise fatigue.

Not to mention the appeal of Transformers 4 to China is a good chunk of the movie being set in Shanghai. Transformers 5 barely had any Chinese locales or actors.

Next year we will get another Transformers movie but with a new director (Kubo & The Two Strings' Travis Knight), cheaper actors (the two most famous ones are Hailee Steinfeld and John Cena), fewer robots, smaller budget ($70 million) and a smaller scope (all filming will be done in California which also earned the movie a $22 million tax break from the state).

I heard somewhere (probably on SA) that every King Arthur movie is a flop and apparently it extends to just movies with King Arthur as a minor character now.

I dunno, like if you're in Paramount's position and you're trying to stay a tent-pole studio, but you don't have Harry Potter, Marvel, DC or Star Wars, and the properties you do have are growing less and less relevant to the people still going to the movies, that's a tough spot. Throwing money at The Rock and Scarlet Johansson in nostalgia pieces and bringing back Transfomers is on paper about as good of a play you could make.

So yeah I think them going a bit smaller is pretty much all they can do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Firstborn posted:

An episode of Curb where Lar Bald Davi has to break it to his commanding officer that he accidently picked up his lightsaber instead of his own, culminating in a raid on the death star to replace it without him noticing.

In the last scene, the Emperor calls him into his office and gives him that very lightsaber as a gift. But the person bringing that lightsaber into the office to give to Lar turns out to be a moff that Lar said "gently caress you!!!" to while brandishing the Emperor's lightsaber over a minor parking issue to earlier in the movie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Was there any promotion for it? I literally heard nothing about it until I saw the title on Fandango the other day when looking for upcoming new movies and groaned at it.

I saw a trailer for it during The Emoji Film.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I would watch that movie, probably.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
From what I understand he was just stunt director of Wick.

I thought Atomic Blonde was something that could've been a good movie, but was really terribly directed at every turn, and the CGI choices were particular bad so I have no hope for Deadpool 2.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Harkins somehow doesn't accept them but I don't know how. My guess is they don't take mastercard but I haven't confirmed this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Moviepass isn't making individual partnerships with theaters around the nation. That's why AMC can't block it and why it works at privately owned 40 seat second run theaters in Yuma, AZ. It's unusual that it doesn't work at Harkins.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Did you read the link? That's an announcement for the failed Moviepass Premium venture for 3D movies and being able to use moviepass via the amc app. Not that AMC suddenly agreed to allow the service.

Previous to that you could always could always use moviepass at AMC basically from the point they switched over to a debit card system in 2012, even though AMC was not officially accepting movie pass at the time, and two years before that partnership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoviePass

E: I don't think anyone else cares about this derail

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 29, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Don't know why anyone hasn't include Fight Club in this list. Palahnuik even says this on the DVD commentary, the screenwriter picked up on elements like the whole soap-to-Holocaust connection that slipped by him.

Yeah I even think the Fight Club book is decent, but the movie is so much better.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's having a proper release screening currently so it's probably a normal digital projection.

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/box-office-close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-tulip-hitmans-1202544778/

One of the people who programs one of the local indie theaters taught my Film Presentation class and according to her, distribution definitely tried to send her blurays of old release films even when they were semi-high profile rereleases and that you had to be diligent in making sure distribution didn't screw you over.

That class also made me so badly wish I could somehow get into film distribution.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 3, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Vegetable posted:

You guys are overstating the difference between Blu-ray and digital. I worked as a film programmer for a year. We always tried to get digital. But most of our audience genuinely couldn't tell the difference when we did play Blu-ray.

Also, Blu-ray is cheaper to produce and ship than digital. This is a big deal to indie distributors barely making ends meet.

A pixelated picture is probably just a problem with the projection. I recently sat through a screening whose colors were unusually dark and muted. It took me a while to realize it was a problem with the projector's lamp. I was at a major theater chain. This kind of problem is just gonna happen though -- most chains don't have a guy sitting in the projection room anymore.

Yeah that professor I talked about said that there were a few times where she just had no choice but to show the Bluray (the theater she programs is a one screener that only has films certain nights of the week) and that no one complained, although she could tell the difference which is why it made her mad.

I don't think I'd be able to spot the bluray to be honest, I never can tell the differences between formats unless it's as stark as SD to HD. The one thing that I do always notice though is a bad screen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I'm more interested in seeing a MGS movie than another Star Wars movie, which isn't a diss Star Wars, it's just that it's been done. Adapting Kojima to film is something I'd really like to see.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

They could probably fix the mess that Big Boss became.

I feel like there's a version of MGS1 that can be told without having to worry about Big Boss too much. Although I want loving everything, Big Boss mess is half the appeal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Byzantine posted:

How the hell are they not white, just look at them. They're as white as the Greeks.
You should go to the library and get an ethnic studies book.

got any sevens posted:

Just got out of a 70mm showing of Vertigo, man I wish they still made movies like that. Phenomenal.

I'm jealous! I saw a digital print in the theater but it was on a smaller screen (although still amazing).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm guessing there won't be any "the movie business is having its lowest week ever" stories in this thread on Monday if my local theater is any indication. Holy poo poo, it's not the busiest I've ever seen the place, but it might be the busiest I've seen the place on a weeknight after 10:00. And they also don't normally do "one movie on half our screens" thing but It was on 13 out of 30 screens, and drat near every show was sold out.

E: Proper format to avoid confusion.

Rick fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 8, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

raditts posted:

That part is actually true (definitions of "white people" never having been based on anything resembling logic), the real dumb poo poo is when people start talking about "Irish slaves"

What movie are we talking about here again?
e: oh, literally "It" hahahaha :downs:
The only notable new movie I can think of is It, but that's not one I would have expected to sell out theaters.

Sorry about that, my post is definitely confusing without me using some element of style.

But yeah like VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE, everything was full except the screen adjacent rows.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the photo of Dean Cain is taken from an interview on the Today Show

... and the hedgehog pic is the first hit in a GIS for "cute hedgehog"

And the official imdb.com listing for the movie is slightly weird:

At this point I was ready to write it all off as some sort of weird prank but it's apparently brought to you by the same people who produced these classics:

... which are apparently actual real movies you can watch with your actual human eyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjrckRD4wZc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0lSu-dvDA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DLoBgFHzic

I don't know what the gently caress is going on here :psyduck:

I want to see all these movies.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I first learned about the existence of Mother in the previews of "It" where they were promoting something exclusive about the screening.

I don't even know how that happens, I average roughly a movie a week in the theater, not a lot of movies come out in the theaters without hitting my radar. I guess I sometimes miss the first preview and maybe it's just that every time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
All I know is that there is a line in the commercial for Flatliners where someone says something like, "you didn't tell me there'd be consequences for flatlining!" and it's pretty funny.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm just glad the tide turned on Red Letter Media because I never cared what they thought about anything, at all!!

----

I hadn't necessarily been receptive to some of the earlier stuff released on Pacific Rim 2 but the trailer really did it for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I had moviepass (I MEAN I AM TRYING TO HAVE IT NOW BUT STILL HAVE NOT GOT MY CARD YET) they sometimes just straight up didn't include access to opening night movies. You could argue that this was fate trying to save me from seeing the terrible "A Walk in the Woods" but basically because I live somewhere that was doing Thursday 9:00/10:00 (whatever midnight Eastern time was) PM openings of literally everything for a while, most stuff just was never listed as a show in the app until the 'real' opening day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I remember the story of getting the Diary of Anne Frank published was an interesting story, although I unfortunately don't remember what it was.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

Which film will be the worst in 2018? Contenders include Ready Player One, Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Solo, Robin Hood: Origins, A Wrinkle In Time, Alita: Battle Angels, Moral Engines, 50 Shades Freed, Death Wish, Sherlock Gnomes, God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness, and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Worst can include most disappointing, least amount of risk taking, colossal critical failure, insulting to the audience, ugliest movie, ill-timed release due to current events, box office bombing, cast member is a rapist, or studio destroyed by fraud related to the movie.

I'm just going off my interest and previews, I haven't looked to see how the production on any of these is going; worst to best according to being aware of my tastes:

50 Shades Freed
Alita: Battle Angels
Sherlock Gnomes
Robin Hood: Origins (Robin Hood is a dumb and bad story although I haven't heard of anything about this movie so I'll put it lowest on the tier of movies I haven't heard of)
God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness (haven't heard of it)
Death Wish (haven't heard of it)
Moral Engines (no clue)
Pacific Rim: Uprising
Ready Player One
Tomb Raider
A Wrinkle in Time
Solo
Fantastic Beasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

Those of you wondering about God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness, wonder no more! An evil state-run university sues a church!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aepZ-nrPA-w

The trailer makes me think movie of the week which probably is enough to elevate it beyond the elf sherlock movie.

• Locked thread