Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

Having never seen the original film, the impression I get from this is that those helmets are VR, and that the aliens and the attacking human are fake and the bored woman is upset her boyfriend is so hardcore about this alien FPS.

The thing about the Skyline aliens is they hypnotize people with bright lights. It also feels like a direct to video movie that somehow got a theatrical release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dirksteadfast posted:

Off topic for the thread but on topic for the thread, was there any actual word on how the Fantastic Beasts sequels are going to actually play out? Because I finally saw the first one and...I honestly don't care if we ever see most of those characters again. The leads were incredibly uninteresting and the series would be greatly improved by just ignoring them and making it an anthology of magic in the 20s-40s.

The only things I believe we know for sure is that Dumbledore is in the next one and the last movie takes place in 1945.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lobok posted:

Did he write Split? Or just direct it?

Also, he made his name doing suspense and thrillers so this should be in his wheelhouse.

Wrote and directed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Seriously. That movie owns.

The beginning part of the A-Team movie is fun but then by the end it just kind of collapsing under its own weight and has this weird bit where all of a sudden Bradley Cooper is in charge?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

He particularly misogynistic? Was he upset about Starbuck becoming a woman in the reboot series?

He was super upset about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Patriots Day has gotten mostly positive reviews. I'm flummoxed.

I'm surprised it finally came out, since it was also one of those movies who had a release date that was just constantly slipping.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So a commercial for the new XXX movie just spoiled that Ice Cube has a cameo. I'm sure the people who actually made the movie are super happy about that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, that terrible looking schmaltzy movie A Dog's Purpose had some behind the scenes footage leak where it shows that the filmmakers were not a dog's best friend. Basically the dog is forced to perform a stunt that it is clearly not comfortable doing (swimming in simulated rapids) and has to be shoved into the water.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIe6UZHSXw

Power Rangers trailer

I THINK THIS LOOKS REALLY COOL AND I LIKE IT although i could continue to nitpick things.

This is definitely better than the first one.

In other weird news, Stephen Gaghan, who directed Traffic and Syriana is attached to write and direct the adaptation of The Division.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the movie is still (so far) going to come out in theaters next week the studio has canceled the premier/promotional junket for A Dog's Purpose.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

If Cameron gets all the rights back in 2019 couldn't they film it before then as long as there's no promotional poo poo released before the rights revert?

There's probably a million little behind the scenes things that would make it not possible to film a movie that you don't currently have the rights for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Jai Courtney getting any work as an actor at all is still a mystery to me.

He got his big break as a sidekick on the first season of Spartacus. Then for some reason he kept getting cast as these stoic "badass" characters when the role that got him noticed was more of a good natured joker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought his deal wasn't being black when he was human but looking Middle Eastern.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Speaking of, I think James Cameron throwing shade on the Alien series is really funny. He's not entirely wrong but it's amusing coming from the dude threatening to put out 80 Avatar films.

I think he's just feeling grouchy about something because he also threw some shade recently at the Mythbusters about their Titanic episode (which he was on.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also he keeps making movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't like the fact that his Twitter handle is "@DuneAuthor"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

World War Z 2 and the new Friday the 13th reboot have lost their release dates. WWZ2 was supposed to be in June and the F13th reboot was October.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Actually they updated the news and the Friday the 13th reboot got completely canned.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Cameo posted:

Well it's not like the lawsuit is going to be over with any time soon. They can't do anything until that is cleared up - although I wonder how the video game has managed to slip by all the legal fallout so far. I'm guessing it must have already been in development prior to the filing?

I don't think I've heard anything about a lawsuit?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So last year it was announced that John Wick's Chad Stahelski had been hired for the long in the works Highlander reboot. In a recent interview he talks about how he's basically been given free reign to do whatever he wants with the franchise. He also mentions how bad the stuff that was previously done was with "there was aliens, meteors, spaceships, uh, DNA mutations, terrorists."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everything about the alien stuff was so bizarre.

Also in the first movie its pretty clear that the "holy ground" thing isn't tradition seeing as even the Kurgen follows it and he's a guy who doesn't seem to care about anything like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a trailer for the Taken TV series (which is a thing) and they somehow had a slow cover of REM's "The One I Love"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phylodox posted:

At that point, wouldn't you just find a way to off yourself every time you start to get peckish?

In the fantasy novel The Broken Kingdoms one of the characters is a god who was being punished by being made mortal and if he was killed he would be fine at the dawn of the next day. Because this god was kind of a dick and refused to learn his lesson, if he ever got hungry or slightly sick or even just tired he would kill himself just to resurrect back to normal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Red Bones posted:

Captain Scarlet gets eaten by a shark in the opening credits of that show, which I always wondered about. When Mysterons replace a dead person the replacement appears near the body, but I can't remember if Captain Scarlet's body heals or whether a new one appears when he dies, I think it was a bit inconsistent.

IIRC Mysteron clones just heal rapidly, with the only thing that can actually damage their bodies being electricity. Something that always bugged me about Captain Scarlet is that the show never addressed the fact that the main character isn't ACTUALLY Captain Scarlet, he dies pretty quickly in the first episode, but instead a duplicate of him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sounds like there's some more forward motion on the American version of The Raid as Frank Grillo has been cast as the lead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You might be thinking of The Purge. He was the lead in the last two of those.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another Purge movie has been given a release date of next summer. It is rumored to be a prequel with how the Purge got started.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also the loving bizarre plot point where they very clearly look nothing alike.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The really annoying thing about Timecop is the past gets changed and JCVD has a hard time convincing the boss and his tech guy that it has happened. Even though their entire job is trying to stop people from changing the past.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The concept behind Gods of Egypt sounds loving bonkers but everything I've heard makes it sound pretty boring in practice.

Pretty much. Also nothing about the cosmology makes any kind of sense. Like Gerard Butler performs his coup and then just up and declares that getting into the afterlife works completely different now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

Have they ever officially said he's the Joker or are there just a bunch of mini-Jokers that will eventually Voltron into the real one when Bruce hits puberty?

He spent a good chunk of season 2 and 3 dead so it is hard to say.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I thought Gotham's gimmick was that there were a bunch of characters who could be the Joker but it's never confirmed if they grow up to be the Joker

Nah, this guy is pretty much exactly the Joker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Barudak posted:

If I recall this trash correctly, it is a parallel dimensional version of our own pst so it doesnt alter ours but does royally gently caress up theirs.

Except for the part at the end of the book where he forgets and they go and visit the grave of the guy who stays back in the past.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spatula City posted:

Wait, if they faxed themselves to the past, they would just be creating a copy of themselves in the past, and the original ones would stay in the present. because faxing doesn't destroy the original document, only copies it in a remote location.

*has clearly watched/read too much sci-fi*

I don't know about the movie but in the book they literally go "don't think about it too much" and also he cheats because the people are conscious the entire time so you know that it's actually "them." A weird thing about the book is that even though they are all perfectly clear that it isn't actually the past the corporate guys have a stupid rule about not bringing advanced technology with them. Even though the very first thing that happens when they travel is some dudes show up and murder all their guards.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That would be awesome, also where the hell did Atomic Blonde come from?

It's one of the guys behind the first John Wick directing it. This is apparently what he did between that and getting the Deadpool 2 job.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's really weird how Kong ends with a thing introducing the characters to the wider world of monsters when, unless any sequels are also period pieces, they aren't going to involve those actors. Also the credits kind of spoil the end reveal because they name all the monsters when they say they're property of Toho.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

Whenever I think of Cloud Atlas, all I can think of is how this big amazing inspiring speech that is supposed to echo through the ages contains the words "from the womb to the tomb" and how somebody had to have thought so highly of the deep thoughts they scribbled into their notebook margin during high school algebra class that they carried that on through their lives to include it in a book / movie script.

IIRC the book wisely glosses over exactly what Sonmi says that is so world changing, just going over generalities of what she discussed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Eddie Redmayne's performance as a young person with an unusually melodramatic old man's voice was one of the best comedic roles of 2015.

I'm not entirely sure what he was going for with that voice, but it did make me laugh.

Really funny is that he's said he tried out for the part of Kylo Ren and did the same thing in the audition where he used a goofy voice and realized afterwards that he blew it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

they were gonna make a bioshock movie but bioshock only works as an fps where you listen to mission control.

The problem with the Bioshock movie failed because they hired Gore Verbinski and he tried to actually film it underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Disney live action Mulan movie won't be a musical. Boo!

• Locked thread