Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

I'm surprised it finally came out, since it was also one of those movies who had a release date that was just constantly slipping.
It's not any good. Mark Wahlberg is the least believable serious cop possible. And even the Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross score is a real disappointment compared to their previous film scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Casimir Radon posted:

The Hurt Locker kept Avatar from winning so it's cool in my book.
Avatar winning on Oscar might at least explain why it's the highest grossing movie ever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Baronash posted:

You don't have to look much farther than the 4K/120fps/3D disaster of cinematography that was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk to see that Ang Lee is perfectly capable of making dumb decisions.
Woah woah woah, 120fps?

I know The Hobbit movies were shot in 48fps (2x the normal framerate) and that sucked rear end as a viewing experience, but what's the point of shooting at 5x the normal framerate? Smoother 3D or something?

That seems like it would have the opposite effect and make everything look like a garbage soap opera like that lovely motion interpolation effect on HDTVs. That's what happened with The Hobbit. Well, the first one at least. I learned my lesson and didn't see the second 2 movies in that trilogy in HFR.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

A movie is coming direct to video that features Ice T as a vampire bootlegger in the 1920s, that alone sounds awesome and then they went and released this ridiculous poster!

Holy poo poo, it's like looking into a time portal back to the 90s/early 00s. It's beautiful :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are you telling me that Americans do not instantly recognize this dude:

Had I not been in a French immersion program in elementary school, I would have no idea what the gently caress this was

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

Tron might be rebootted with Jared Leto. Disney's got to burn all that Avengers cash somehow

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tron-reboot-jared-leto-circling-lead-role-new-disney-film-982575
TRON Legacy was loving great and a feast for the senses but I don't know how they could do something else like that without having it feeling like a retread. It had such a unique style to it. It was, to me at least, more iconic than the original in every way. I still listen to Daft Punk's score from it regularly. Not sure if they could recapture that kind of magic again for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

What if Maid Marian was "serious and truly gritty"
Didn't that already happen 17 years ago in Requiem for a Dream?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Kong Skull Island is so loving good everyone. It's super violent, super fun, and honestly, really does not follow any of the same beats from any of the other Kong flicks. It stands on it's own.

It's really loving neat.
Dope, I need a super violent and super fun movie after Logan was such a disappointment.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got free passes to see Kong: Skull Island.

It was dope.

Monsters got dismembered. People got dismembered.

John C. Reilly owned like he always does.

That was the best King Kong movie I've ever seen and I can't loving wait for Godzilla vs. Kong.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Waffles Inc. posted:

Beyond is a movie that never had a shot because the franchise lost its good will after Into Darkness. It ended up being really fun and basically as good as ST09 but I don't recall anyone talking about it or being interested in seeing it
I saw it after hearing everyone talk about how fun it was and proceeded to forget about it an hour after I saw it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vegetable posted:

Lol I just realized they hired the Twilight director to helm Beauty and the Beast, they didn’t try very hard did they
why try hard when you already have an ESTABLISHED PROPERTY?!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

Robert Rodriguez looks like he's officially directing the Escape From New York remake
Who Greenlighted 2017: Hooray, just what I always wanted: another loving remake

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

God drat, sometimes I forget about SMG posts and then I read another one and lose my poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mars Attacks is arguably the only good movie Tim Burton has made in the last 21 years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Apparently 25 minutes of the new transformers movie was screened and it revealed who the The Last Knight is it's Marky Mark, apparently back in King Arthur times there were 12 transformers that fought alongside the 12 knights of the round table to defend the peace between humans and transformers. Wahlburg is the new chosen one to reform King Arthur's court and sue for peace.
Ahahahaha what in the gently caress?

I'm still not seeing this in theaters but now I may rent it to see how that plays out instead of my original plan of never seeing it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

Anthony Hopkins is also in this, and he has a robot butler who rips off the head of bigger Transformers and then takes over its body by transforming into a new head.

Don't forget that the Transformers 5 footage they showed includes the appearance of Merlin.
:stare:

Hahahahahahahaha

When did these movies get badass all of a sudden?! The last one certainly wasn't!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

They hired a bunch of writers who worked on comic book movies to write out a bunch of scripts starting with this year's movie. Transformers 5 is being written by two guys who wrote the first Iron Man movie and one who did Black Hawk Down. Then they also get Lucasfilm-style 'lore experts' as consultants. The result is probably a Transformers movie that feels more like a comic book film, except the things that goes on in Transformers comics are typically mad (in both good and bad ways). The current Transformers comics, for example, reveals that robots with 'camera' heads like Shockwave were not actually built that way but their original and more humanoid heads were removed as a form of punishment. Also most Transformers who transformed into animals now live on another planet to escape the religiously-motivated genocide of their kind on Cybertron.
Consider me interested. I was very much not interested before.

Leavemywife posted:

David Schwimmer doesn't seem to have much going on right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=726Ujz_KOHE

He was excellent in that show, as was literally everyone else in it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MonsieurChoc posted:

The last one ended with Optimus blasting off into space to kill God.
I guess all I took away from that movie was Marky Mark's daughter dating a card-carrying statutory rapist and forgot all about the actual Transformers stuff :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DeimosRising posted:

Seven years and I haven't heard a hint of him working on a new movie :(
How is that dude gonna do one perfect movie and then disappear completely? It's not fair

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Does he just not have interest in any projects? He's obviously got an insane amount of talent. Sucks that he hasn't been putting it to use in a while. Though I can understand having writer's (director's?) block.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DeimosRising posted:

I love this guy. He also said that Patriot's Day had one of the best shootouts in movie history :getin:
Was that his April Fools joke this year or what

There was literally nothing memorable about that movie. Not even the goddamn Trent Reznor score. It just came and went.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So this is the Act of Valor reboot?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hardcore Henry is legitimately the best video game movie ever made and it's not even based on a video game (although it obviously takes inspiration from some) and just a fun as gently caress movie in general.

More movies need to be as ballsy and creative and cool as Hardcore Henry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Olympic Mathlete posted:

HH is nigh unwatchable on a large screen.
I saw it in theaters and it was absolutely watchable for me. Of course, YMMV. I'm the guy who saw Cloverfield like 5 times in theaters while other people were getting motion sickness and throwing up from watching it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hardcore Henry captures what every other video game movie wishes it could but never does.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SleepCousinDeath posted:

People must have very high standards if Man of Steel can't even be considered "passable".
What did Man of Steel do that was impressive or even competent in any way?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw it in theaters and literally nothing about it stuck with me as being impressive or competent. Batman v Superman was a better movie and Batman v Superman was a piece of poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

parallelodad posted:

You don't seem to have any coherent criticism of it. You just keep saying "It's bad. I saw it and it was bad. That's how I know."

Actually it was very good. It was extremely well done and better than other comic book movies. There. I have made the equivalent of your post except my post is correct
Actually I found it to be sterile and lifeless and forgettable and one of the worst comic book movies in recent years, but whatever. To each his own v:shobon:v

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chairman Capone posted:

For a second I read the title of that as Fifty Shades Fareed.
That's the Middle Eastern title

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FlamingLiberal posted:

King Arthur made $14 mil domestic this weekend on a $175 mil budget (I think that is not counting marketing).
I wasn't even aware there was a new King Arthur movie out until yesterday, so that sounds about right.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

Power Rangers made just $3.3 million dollars opening weekend in China, RIP the six Power Rangers sequels

On a $100 million budget.

Yikes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I always figured the studio has to make a substantial profit to consider a movie a success. Breaking even would be a failure for them.

The other day I found out Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was the most expensive film ever made with a budget of over $400 million, but it also made like over $1 billion at the box office, so it was considered a success and now there's a 5th one about to come out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't the next Avengers movie supposed to have a budget of a billion dollars? That's utterly mind boggling to me. But I guess they do have like 67 characters in it so I imagine the actors' pay is a big chunk of that.

:stare: gently caress me.

Although from the way it's worded on the Wiki, that's the budget for both Avengers 3 and Avengers 4. They were shot back-to-back and had a combined budget of $1 billion. So I guess roughly $500 million each? That still makes them the most expensive movies ever made. Although Avengers 2 cleared over a billion at the box office, so it'll turn a profit for them I'm sure.

Superhero movies are like guaranteed moneymakers nowadays.

Also I just looked up the highest-grossing movies ever and Avatar is #1 with $2.8 billion? Ahahahahaha, HOW? :vince:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Being a real "3D" theater experience before the industry once again abused it. Those premium 3D sales helped it.

Having an uncomplicated story that anyone could understand and relate to and most people enjoyed a lot.
I remember it being popular but not that popular.

Jesus, I guess that explains why they have a million sequels planned for it even though the original came out 8 years ago and the first sequel has yet to come out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW, I saw Avatar in a real IMAX theater in 3D. It was 20 dollars a ticket and looked absolutely great. I regret nothing.
I saw it in 3D. Not IMAX though, I don't think. Or maybe I did. I can't even remember now. The implementation of 3D in that movie was spectacular, but that's the only thing that movie had going for it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Renoistic posted:

Does anyone outside the US give a drat about Power Rangers as a franchise?
Well it started as an American version of a Japanese franchise, but I guess they didn't care too much for how we handled their property :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Not really, unfortunately.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

I just read some spoilers about that twee child super genius movie The Book of Henry that's opening in theaters tomorrow and it turns out that everyone who watched the trailer guessed correctly. Yes, the super smart kid dies early in the film and the rest of it is mom and little brother following his plan to murder their neighbor.
Hardcore, I wanna see this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Taintrunner posted:

So The Book of Henry according to this spoiler review slash summary of the film is the loving most buckwild movie ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO4o-gYkr7E

Like holy poo poo.
:staredog: Ahahahahahahaha

I'm going to see this loving thing in the morning. I've made up my mind.

It sounds like 2017's Winter's Tale or Jupiter Ascending in terms of sheer batshit insanity.

• Locked thread