Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Major breathes through her skin.

Common problem for strong women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mierenneuker posted:

It's a good movie dragged down by it pretending there was a huge conflict that didn't happen. I know movies based on a true story aren't going to be 100% accurate but with Sully it was blatantly obvious they were exaggerating and creating villains because they feared the facts alone weren't entertaining enough.

ChickenMedium posted:

Was Sully actually good? I refused to see it when the trailers made it look like there was any kind of controversy about what happened. The real Sully was widely and immediately praised as a hero and any backlash at all was extremely minimal. I just don't know how or why you'd want to make that into a movie except as a way to counteract all the people who conflated the actual events of Sully with the fictional events of Flight.

I'm annoyed that people now hate and blame the real aviation security/investigation agencies for giving Sully such a hard time - when in reality they didn't. They did their loving job of investigating a controlled landing. The movie made people less trusting in the institutions made to protect them, because they made up that conflict for the movie.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 16, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wandle Cax posted:

Hilary is not portrayed nor even mentioned nor even implied to exist in the film, it's almost an entirely apolitical retelling of the events

Vilerat was changed from a PC gamer, console console gamer. Plenty political!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Not investing into getting decent broadband everywhere is for a country like not investing in railways in the 19th century or a power grid in the early 20th. You are wilfully crippling yourself and your economic power by ignoring the most important infrastructure that is used for everything for the next few decades at least. Yeah, it's expensive opening up the ground yet again to put in new cables, but it is a lot more expensive in the long run if you don't.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Casimir Radon posted:

It was vandalized so many times that it had to be put in a cage, and was eventually removed in 2008. At one point they attempted to sell it to Donald Trump's Scottish gold course. Don't know why he didn't go for it as everything he owns is tacky.

Paint it gold and he will put it up where the Lincoln Memorial stands now.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MrBling posted:

The only time I remember hearing about it was when Arnold wanted to do his own dub for a movie and he was basically told that, being Austrian and from that particular area of Austria, he sounded like a farmer when he spoke German.

Most Germans would need subtitles to understand the Styrian dialect. Although Schwarzenegger can speak nearly flawless English and High German if he wants, but for his image the broad accent (English) and dialect (German) is what he uses except in very rare instances.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Beachcomber posted:

The worst thing about China Pandaring is that it sticks out like a Wilhelm scream. Totally breaks immersion every time, and I wish I didn't know about either.

Which movie do you think gives China the longest, sloppiest blowjob?

The Martian at least had the China bits in the book.

The Marvel stuff sticks out a little bit, but it's not too bad.

I think that ID4-R is probably the most egregious I've seen.

Transformers 4. The last half of the movie is basically just there to worship everything (government approved) China.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

It fits perfectly to a movie that seemingly doesn't understand what made the original material interesting and lasting.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

wyoming posted:

It's well liked, and I'll Make a Man Out of You is popular beyond being a meme.

Also despite B&B making all the money, most of what I've been hearing is that's a mess.

Mainly it is far too long. They stretched a well paced 84 min film to 129 min.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

dont even fink about it posted:

It takes her four years and a favor to get something good after Episode I, exactly as I said.

http://nymag.com/news/articles/reasonstoloveny/2014/mike-nichols/

PS if you Google Natalie Portman career, links to this story are like the third result.

Portman clearly needs a director who cares about getting the best performance out of her, because then she is absolutely amazing. If the director is "whatever" you get Star Wars, Thor and similar "I'm here, give me my cheque"-performances.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The last season is a dream by Roseanne after Dan died after a heart attack, of course nothing fits at all to the other seasons or the tone of the rest of the show. To end it on a positive note I guess?

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 8, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jose Oquendo posted:

I really don't know why people poo poo on the Snyder movies. You'll never see anything like that at all in a Marvel flick.

Because between all those gifable moments there is no coherent or interesting movie. Snyder's movies make a great Tumblr-Comic-book-scenes-of-the-week post, but don't congeal to a good (or even passable) whole.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

galagazombie posted:

and the one about a Muslim boy learning how awesome Jesus is.

Which I always found odd, since most Muslims would agree to that in the first place, as he is the last Prophet before Mohammed and thus pretty rad for them. Also, his mother Mary is basically the most revered and respected woman in the whole Quaran.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CelticPredator posted:

Johnny Depp beat his wife.

"<Celebrity> who did <good thing> also did <bad thing>" as sort of counter point are really trite.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Snowman_McK posted:

The fun part of that character is, whenever other characters or the naration describes her, they do a great job highlighting the author's very clear tall woman fetish. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The question is of course, who of the two authors has the fetish?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Macarius Wrench posted:

Vile film, pointless and un-redeeming. It's the worst movie I have ever sat through and I saw Pixels.

I know, the Internet is all about stupid exaggeration, but holy poo poo, did the director sleep with your mom or something? It was a okayish movie at best with some nice ideas and a tremendous look and art direction (much stolen from the Anime). It was nowhere near as good as the Anime, and it was unexciting outside of the design, but "worst movie"? Worse than Pixels? It wasn't even the worst big budget movie this year. Or of the weekend it started on.

Not having the classic opening song was the biggest mistake of the movie (since the whole whitewashing thing was at least justified in-story I don't dock it on it too much).

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 15, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FilthyImp posted:

Probably not around the world, but I'll remind you that March saw an entire replay of every episode​ from every season on Twitch and it was crazy popular.

Crazy popular on Twitch is something like 100-200k viewers, which is a drop in the bucket when your movie requires to sell 50-100 million tickets to be successful. Nerd poo poo and nostalgia are very popular, but sometimes it's easy to overestimate how much if you don't look also outside of the scene (or bubble as it is now called).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

CHiPS made less in its entire run than Baywatch made on opening weekend. It bombed super super hard.

What has the world come to if you can't build (or at least sell) a successful movie on the premise of being afraid of being seen as gay.

Baywatch at least leaned into its ridiculousness and the people making it had fun doing so. And the Rock.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

porfiria posted:

Twitter is one of the worst things to come out of the Internet. Let that sink in.

Vertical or square videos without sound are actually the worst thing to come out of the Internet that's not something that means jailtime.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

basic hitler posted:

poorly shot amateur video goes back before the internet and yet still isn't half the sin of twitter's mere exisence. Nested comments ranked by popularity are, too, worse a crime.

No, I'm talking about videos made for sharing in social media and consumption on smartphones. Professionally made stuff by big companies. The "future" of video content apparently.

Decius fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 2, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly if you look at the franchise history the Enterprise gets clowned on a LOT.

That's because Star Trek is basically tall ships IN SPACE, and tall ships always limped away heavily damaged in a equal or nearly equal fight, simply because offense was so much better than defense - wood, which also splintered and maimed killed a lot of people this way -, being a slow moving target, that was very slow to manoeuvrer (the actions you see on screen inside of seconds in movies often took dozens of minutes or even hours in reality) and the ships made out of wood and canvas were of course comparably fragile. However, being made out of wood they were also comparably easy to repair again. Translating this to space combat makes it seem quite odd, even with magic like shields added.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 13, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Grendels Dad posted:

You're probably right and I'm exaggerating, it's just that the last Hobbit movie felt like a tombstone on the whole fantasy fad..

A billion dollar tombstone. Yeah, the movie made a ton of money.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Remulak posted:

Confidential as hell, but the estimated is about 25% of gross as opposed to 90+ percent of gross for the US on opening week.

And limited by how you get the money out of the country.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Valerian is... good?

Apparently so - good, not great, because too many flaws in the story. Together with Dunkirk getting rave reviews it will be sad seeing potentially good movies getting ignored at the Box Office in favour of two (admittedly excellent) franchise ten-pole movies.

And the Emoji movie.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

LesterGroans posted:

On the other hand, the Divergent series existed.

And that's the plan for Dark Tower too now I thought? A TV series instead of expensive movies nobody watches.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

fatherboxx posted:

Uhhh, folks, any bad movies coming out soon?

Another Star Wars movie is slated for the Holiday Season, yes.

Also the guy doing his hot take how Cersei is the good guy in GoT did the hot take thing far better in the spoiler thread.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's oddly vague.

It's important to be specific. Otherwise, you would petition for the Lion King remake to go 'back to its roots' as a Kenyan folktale. We need a Kenyan guy to direct, right?

No such folktale is exists; Simba was originally a manga/anime character, voiced by a Japanese woman. Also he's from 1950s Tanzania.

As someone who watched Kimba the White Lion a lot on TV as kid, it was supremely odd to see The Lion King in cinema, which was very similar in many parts, only with a lot more songs, simplified story and a crappier main character. My first encounter with the Hollywood adaption process. But to be honest, outside from the premise (orphan Lion cub as main protagonist trying to lead) and several scenes that are basically 1:1 taken from the Anime it wasn't very similar at all. Kimba grew up around humans and humans play a major role in the series.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gatts posted:

I don't get IT and am not with IT nowadays. What's the deal as to why that movie matters?

Underage orgies speak to everyone. It's timeless stuff. Which for some reason isn't in the new movie.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FilthyImp posted:

John Goodman had the best trajectory. He's Been Working since the show and has had a good few years recently (from being on SNL regularly to 10 Cloverfield Lane and whatnot).

Johnny Galecki, Darlene's boyfriend, popped up again thanks to the Big Bang Theory and he's pretty much set for life thanks to that. BBT also had guest spots for Laurie Metcalf and Sarah Gilbert.

Chalke snagged a spot on Scrubs and did OK for herself popping up in How I Met Your Mother and now on Rick and Morty.

Martin Mull is a character actor so he's in a bunch of random stuff (Danny Phantom?!).

I think career wise George Clooney has them all beat, although he was only in season 1 I think.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

LesterGroans posted:

I get caring about your friends and better-late-than-never damage control, but he also told victims to keep quiet, so he's absolutely a huge piece of poo poo, too.

He asked her, not told her. How could he tell her, he isn't her boss or drill sergeant or something.

Edit: If you talk about the email that was published.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

teagone posted:

Oh, oh no. I'm a huge Avatar/Cameron fan, but why would you use that image as the first real promotion for the sequels... whyyyyyy.

:negative:

I like how all the girls have to smile, while the boys have to look grim and "manly". 1990 or 2017 gender roles - who can tell?

Admittedly it's more mixed in the other promo pics.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I really liked Voices From a Distant Star, it reminded me a lot of early sixties sci-fi.

I liked all Shinkai's movies a lot, maybe Agartha less, as it was a bit too longwinded.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

a kitten posted:

He's a happily married dude who made Voices with he and his wife as the cast so god knows what the gently caress you're talking about.

Don't disturb this tele-psychoanalysis of a guy he has never seen, met or spoken with with your boring facts.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

Okay, I'll admit The New Testament is a decent sequel to The Old Testament. Less begats and more story, and you sympathise with the main character, but it really runs off the rails at the end.

Well, if you don't get another season what should you do? Writing a quick conclusion in a drug haze, blowing it all up was probably the easiest choice.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

got any sevens posted:

Blade Runner isnt a biopic but the main character loves a two year old

I always found the short life span of the Replicants an odd idea - you spend a lot of money and effort to make them nearly indistinguishable from humans, including fake photographs and mementos, memories and fear, only to throw it all away after a lifespan that's shorter than that of my current PC. Maybe the new movie goes deeper into the whole thing.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hope someone got a lot of money for such a difficult and long title search.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

feedmyleg posted:

Having read the script for Gladiator 2 (a quick Google search away!), it's a bit of a strange beast but one I would have loved to see. It probably wouldn't have made for a great blockbuster, but it would have been a terrific character drama. But it makes sense why it didn't get made.

In the afterlife Maximus finds out that the Roman gods are dying because Christianity is gaining popularity. They task him with going back to Earth to kill Jesus, but when Maximus is resurrected he finds that his now grown son has converted to Christianity. He must then essentially orchestrate a holy war. So he doesn't become a god, he becomes manipulated by the gods to serve them as their representative on Earth. Like, you know, Jesus.

I could have some of those details wrong, but that's the gist of it. It's cool as hell.

So he - a Roman general and citizen- travels back in time to kill Jesus before he is killed by Romans? And isn't his son dead?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Maybe accused was the wrong word. I mean actually held accountable for all the heinous poo poo he's done and publicly dragged through the mud, a la Wienstien and co.

Except for the held accountable part all this happened several times already. The accusations/defenses did make big news several times over the years.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

precision posted:

gently caress if I know, I can personally confirm that as of 12 or so years ago he was trying to gently caress underage goth girls after giving them backstage passes to his horrible band

Well, here's a fitting bit from the Ankler in this regard:

quote:

IN THE EXCLUSION ZONE

The big question now is no longer "who’s next?" That question seems to be answering itself. Everyone. Everyone will be next.

Lots of little to medium-sized to now somewhat big names are coming out. And the standards of what is needed for a takedown are falling by the hour.

The very biggest names unfortunately take time. Given how well people with all the resources in the world in this business are able to cover up their misdeeds – the armies of courtiers trailing behind, each writing checks and making things right – these stories are very hard to tell, even with the mobs roaming the streets. It’s one thing for Andy Dick's or James Toback’s victims to come forward, but even after the explosion, a titan of Hollywood is still a fearsome thing, with a lot of carrots and sticks at their disposal.

We’re living in this strange in-between moment, when no one knows quite how far this will go; how much the inertia of the old order will be able to withstand the pressure. Even after the fall of the Bastille, four long years passed before the execution of Louis XVI, and in that period, things could’ve worked out lots of ways. Had Louis been any kind of leader at all, they very well might have worked out lots of ways, a lesson our leadership currently hiding in the Carlsbad Caverns might take to heart.

So right now, we’ve got Harvey Weinstein, Roy Price, Brett Ratner, Kevin Spacey, Jeremey Piven, James Toback, Andy Dick, the Lionsgate guy, and a handful of agents. This is the low hanging fruit. We’ll see how high up the tree the revolution can get, but there are major journalistic investigations swirling around and they are definitely pointed northward of Andy Dick and James Toback.

Does anyone doubt that we haven’t even scratched the tip of the iceberg here. If we’re getting into underage accusations, let’s start with anyone who toured with a rock band circa 1965 - 1985, and work our way forward from there. There are plenty of circles in this town where cultivation of bacchanalian liberties have always been central. The possibility that in these circles, extremely powerful people who felt they were immune from any sort of basic standards of behavior, with unlimited access to young people desperate to break into this industry – throw in a smattering of drugs and alcohol here and there, a docile media, corporations devoted to covering their tracks – I think we might find out a lot of lines got crossed a lot of times.

What do you do with all these people? For starters, we’ve built up this whole infrastructure of milking every bit of blood out of every ounce of fame and prestige we’ve created: awards upon awards, banquets, endorsements, footprints, stars in the sidewalks, not to mention every kind of commercial endorsement and public appearance you can dream of.

So now we get the spectacle as one by one every single group will be called on to renounce its members, strip their membership, deny them of awards, and take away old awards and honors. Is the Venice Free Clinic or GLAAD or the Kamala Harris campaign, for instance, going to be called on to blot out of the honorary fundraising chair title bestowed for some banquet? Stars chiseled off the sidewalk? Condo complexes in the middle of Nevada demanding their appearance fee back?

As one Ankler friend/industry vet wrote to me:

quote:

The thing is though, every single beloved A-list rock star of the 70's had sex with girls who were younger than 16 all the time. They don't even deny it. In the 80's it happened with actors and rock stars. In the 90's it lessened. However it also started to pick up with men and boys. I think you could get rid of 200 horrible sex predators and then what does Hollywood do? Never work with any of them again? Kick them all off these boards and out of guilds?

Where will this all go? Well it’s not ending anytime soon. The victims are now realizing they can speak out. Soon those who signed papers will realize that no one is going to sue you for breaking an NDA to speak up about abuse. There is no way in this climate a studio is going to go to court to make someone honor their agreement and shut the hell up about a harasser on their payroll.

http://us14.campaign-archive.com/?u=a1cc68ef58c8686209b7d066e&id=ad0d4cf2e8

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Edit: Wrong thread.

• Locked thread