Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Egbert Souse posted:

There should be a reversal where a bug transforms into a human and becomes a successful businessman

I have the best thorax, just a really great thorax, everybody says so. Thorax!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Sharing YouTube clips from Godzilla movies to keep my two-year-old nephew occupied and I'd forgotten A) how many of these fights are just monsters taking turns blasting each other with lasers and B) 80s era Godzilla probably isn't the best stuff for two-year-olds

morestuff fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 2, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I thought King Kong vs Godzilla would be relatively tame but there's a long segment where Kong keeps getting rocks dropped on his head. Also it became clear at some point that he thought KK was Curious George

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't stop listening to the Alvin and the Chipmunks pop covers slowed down to their original recording speed.

I like that version of Heaven Is A Place On Earth a lot.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I think the last thing I watched in 2016 was the new De Palma doc. All the clips from his stuff make it a fun watch regardless but it's basically just a long interview and the dude is a poo poo storyteller.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Not anymore.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

JC Chandor directing Channing Tatum and Tom Hardy in a Mark Boal script developed by Kathryn Bigelow sounds cool

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jenny Angel posted:

To this point, there's a kernel of something interesting in the Forza Horizon series where the initial setup has the window dressing of "you're at this massive outdoor music and car festival in a gorgeous location with a bunch of colorful characters, go have bonding and self-discovery experiences in the Italian countryside while racing your obnoxious cars" but that's mostly just a pretty spare setup for a Ubisoft-style content map. It'd be pretty rad imo to actually lean into that setup

What about the Stardew Valley formula would you want added to that? Just more character interaction/minigame type stuff?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Chicago has some of the most openly racist people I've ever met and I grew up in South Carolina

edit: well, the suburbs at least

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Timby posted:

Chicago's western and northwest suburbs are basically WhiteFlightInAmerica.txt. Black populations in those areas are generally around 3 - 4 percent at the absolute most, and in some places that's being generous -- in college I very briefly dated a girl from Barrington, which is this ridiculously wealthy northwest suburb, and while we were driving around town one day she said to me, "Hm, that's odd."

"What?"

*points at a car being driven by a black man* "We don't usually see those people around here."

That night when I went home I found out that Barrington's black population was like 0.4 percent. I think I broke up with her the next day when I realized that I was dating an awful human being.

The company I work for was based out of Barrington when I was brought on. It's apparently one of the richest zip codes in the U.S., though the town is pretty button-down. I guess a lot of people live in sprawling estates outside the downtown area.

For what it's worth the locals I knew there were typically well-meaning but old-money to the core and sort of clueless. They've since sold the company to some Southside bros that live up to all the worst stereotypes, basically being pieces of poo poo and hiding behind "just busting balls." One of the new owners randomly started drawing Sambo while I was having a work conversation with him. This morning I got called a human being for eating one donut instead of two

If you know someone hiring let me know

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The whole thing should have just been Mutt vs. psycho-fascist Cate Blanchett w/ the ants as a featured player

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Spielberg's TinTin movie is already the best new Indiana Jones we're ever going to get

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

I've really enjoyed the rise of offbeat indie games.

I just picked up a PC for the first time in 20 years because I was tired of missing out on weirdo indie PC stuff. Unfortunately I'm finding a lot of these games sort of suck

Hyper Light Drifter is pretty good, though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

What kind of games do you like?

Recently I've played Beholder, Papers Please, Please Don't Touch Anything, and Stardew Valley. They were all pretty fun.

I picked up a few of those during the last Steam sale but haven't gotten around to them yet. Ideally looking for something that can be played in discrete chunks, like X-Com-style turn-based strategies or short-run platformers.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've wanted an excuse to post this but they definitely still make inexplicable videogame commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrsy_JOVIu8

Suggested Video: This Hot Girl Has Piano Skills

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

its script definitely has some issues but the cinematography is out of this world great.

The style of some people just clicks with you, I think I'd watch pretty much anything Soderbergh shot

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think Kavalier & Clay are basically supposed to be Simon & Kirby mixed with Siegel & Schuster.

There's a lot of Steranko in there, too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It looks like M. Night is on a hot streak, good for him

quote:

At last, M. Night Shyamalan has decided to let his freak flag fly, and made the sort of unapologetic B-movie one always suspected he had pent up inside of him; it swerves from dark comedy to 1970s-esque psycho-horror as the irresistibly preposterous script struggles for attention against a delirious lead performance by James McAvoy. Split is funnier, campier, and more freewheeling than anything its writer-director has done—slightly overlong, but reminiscent of Brian De Palma films like The Fury and Femme Fatale in its refusal to be boring. Shyamalan pulls out one ingenious camera move after another with the help of Michael Gioulakis, the cinematographer of It Follows, echoing Split’s subterranean setting and subconscious concerns through creative and formalist thrills. Self-reflexive, maybe even therapeutic, it twists the themes of fate and trauma that have been his stock-in-trade since The Sixth Sense into a very entertaining genre exercise—some of his strongest work since the days of The Village and Signs.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Almost all roasting of Trump is completely ineffective and is only performed to show how smart the roaster is. People still can't get over the jokey nature of the Trump presidency and realize how much poo poo is going to be hosed.

Not that any of this was unexpected, at all, but seeing it in ink and laid out end to end made me want to ralph this morning

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It's rad, it's got the same charm as the film itself where Borchard just defies every opportunity presented to be self absorbed.

It's amazing how well the movie threads the needle between being too sympathetic or too cruel. I wonder how big an influence it had on all the cringe humor we got in the 2000s — you can draw a pretty direct line, but I guess it's probably mostly Christopher Guest instead

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh my god I have to read this

quote:

Every generation needs a hero, and, ladies and gentlemen, 36-year-old “La La Land” producer Jordan Horowitz might just be ours.

Horowitz was just doing his job, accepting an Oscar for the film he produced, when an opportunity for greatness was thrust upon him. After giving an acceptance speech, he realized there had been a huge gaffe: “Moonlight” was the real winner.

Speaking truth to power, the man walked right up to the mic as soon as he understood what had happened and let the Academy, Hollywood stars, and the world, have it:

“Guys, guys, I’m sorry, there’s a mistake,” he said. “‘Moonlight,’ you guys won best picture. This is not a joke. ‘Moonlight’ has won best picture.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/mo...tIJI/story.html

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

If that counts then this does

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Get Out was pretty decent, I dug it. A little over-hyped, I think Peele's action scenes leave a lot to be desired, but it was pretty funny.

That's where I landed. I liked it on the whole but it's always a downer when a movie starts way stronger than it finishes.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

New Alien trailer is just kind of a bummer, like Scott is locked into some Sisyphus deal remaking the first movie until he makes the franchise fetishists happy

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Prometheus is a remake of Alien in very broad strokes and Scott filled in the margins with stuff that a lot of people hated. Covenant looks like another redux with more Alien-y aliens.

It's just kind of a bummer coming off his best movie since…Gladiator I guess

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Return of the Living Dead, Re-Animator, and Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn are the holy trifecta of horror-comedies. That Dickeye hasn't seen Return is a travesty.

Needs to expand to a quadfecta to make room for Dead Alive

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Personally I would make it a pentfecta (??) and include Hausu as well, but the horror thread made it a trinity, and I can't push back against what the horror thread says.

You can probably dock Dead Alive for all the spear-chucking native stuff Peter Jackson seems to like a lot

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Nah, that stuff is great.

It's kind of hard for me to defend, especially since it gets revisited in King Kong (and depending on how far you want to go with that, Lord of the Rings). You just like it as throwback pulp adventure pseudo-commentary or what?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I know some people here go to preview screenings, any advice on how early to show up? It usually doesn't seem worth the hassle but if I'm going to see King Kong beat up dinos it may as well be for free and on a 5,160 square-foot screen

It's a thruline in the film. How offensively are the bone in the nose Sumatrans portrayed compared to the way the guy who arrogantly steals from them is treated?

Fair enough, but on a gut level it's still harder for me to sit through than all the goop

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Early early early early. If you didn't buy a ticket or have an assigned seat you many not even get in.

Free early moving screenings are a pain in the goddamn rear end. I'm very happy Alamo charges you on them, and gives you a seat. The hassle goes right out the window.

Like…an hour? Or should I just not bother

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I did this for Shin Godzilla. Theatres are cool now.

It's a mixed blessing. The only screening of Get Out I could catch last Friday was in one of Regal's semi-scammy RPX theaters. Assigned spots don't matter as much when it's 4:20 in the afternoon and you're paying $20 for the privilege of your own personal seat in a theater with two other dudes

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Skwirl posted:

If you think that poo poo is confusing and full of plot holes you should try reading the comics some time.

The movies at least have the good sense to not give a poo poo

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The movies have completely recreated the excesses of the comics.

I don't really remember the movies getting that hung up on continuity beyond the broad strokes but I guess there's like a half-dozen I haven't seen

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Every time I played Burnout I'd drive my Prius into oncoming traffic

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

My boss brought paczki even though I asked him not to

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ruddiger posted:

That sounds very rude on your part.

It's just me and him in the office and he brought a dozen

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It feels dumb to stan for a distributor but A24 has such a good track record and it's nice knowing that even if I don't catch their stuff in theaters it'll hit Prime eventually

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

weekly font posted:

Do you guys find yourselves getting into hopeless film arguments outside of here/with people who aren't film assholes like us? I try to avoid it like a boxer in a barfight but it happens sometimes and I'm always disappointed when I engage.

Knowing when to cut your losses is one of the most useful skills to have in life

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

See, I don't get in arguments with my real life movie nerd friends because my real life movie nerd friends know what's up

I am watching Scream now and it is extremely good

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I like when Squiggy shows up as the dean.

Late-era Winkler rules

I bought it because The Craft was on at the bar and seeing Skeet Ulrich/Neve Campbell + so many great 90s-era stars made me want to watch Scream again. Great decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Skeet Ulrich is Jughead's dad on Riverdale.

Has he learned how to play a non-psychotic in the last 20 years

• Locked thread