Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Death Note rules. Absolutely my favorite Wingard so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Primer sucks if you watch it trying to figure out plot mechanics, just like Upstream Color. Both are good films.

I agree that Upstream Color is the better movie, though.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
There is a good as hell jump scare in City of the Living Dead based around a sex doll inflating and as you may know that is not actually a scary thing yet perfectly encapsulates what I love about the intersection of perverse sex, violence, and fear in Italian horror.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

DeimosRising posted:

I honestly think anarchism is kind of a semantic error, any group of humans interacting and forming a society with norms and rules etc are governed and hence have some form of government. Government is merely the expression of social power.

Wait so you're saying the socio-political philosophy known as anarchism is distinct from the literal state of anarchy?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

He's making fun of you ya dingus

Ayyyyyyyyy, thanks conrad

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I got Visitor Q, Natural Born Killers, Lords of Salem, and Death Proof on DVD at a really really free market last week, that's my DVD story.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Am I the only person who feels like Bojack Horseman bites super hard from Eastbound and Down? I like both shows a lot and they play the material differently due to setting and general tone, but still.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
As a counterpoint, literally all of that sounds like it would be unbearable if they played it at all tongue in cheek.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Why does the one dude in Death Note have a Blade Runner gun? For that matter, why does anything in Death Note?

Because Death Note, the anime, is ridiculously stupid, and the movie is a way better adaptation than nerds wanna admit.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

FishBulb posted:

I think I’m gunna start ignoring all opinions posted on here that refer to other people as nerds

Okay, fine. Death Note (2017) is a good movie that's getting bad reviews because the proto-fascist types who identified heavily with the original can not deal with the cognitive dissonance of the new movie making them look like fools.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
If you benefit from white supremacy, don't take steps to end white supremacy, and actively champion the values of white supremacy, yr a loving white supremacist

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
K. Waste, I love spoiler alert. Don't really have anything else to add, but you've created something fantastic.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Raw is a lot funnier than I thought. The French cannibal movie, not the wrestling, although I did watch it on a Monday night

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Is anyone else bothered by Disney calling their new Lion King live action when every character is going to be cg?

Edit: ytotd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lE9tV9vm0

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

CPL593H posted:

I'd rather watch this than that new Thor movie.

Look, I hate the marvel movies too, but if yr not at least a little intrigued by the new Taika Watiti movie I don't know what to tell you.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Watching the Avengers with a car battery hooked to your balls would actually be preferable to just watching the avengers. At least you'd have something interesting going on.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Is "slaps" actually a thing young people say now or is it like "fleek" where no one ever actually used it in a conversation unironically?

The word "slaps" fuckin slaps and I say it all the time but also irony is dead

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Huh I was wondering why I was 147 pages behind in the horror thread, and right, that's when Tobe Hooper died

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Dickeye, if you have the time, I'd love a sincere write up of what you get out of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I can go either way on it but I feel like there's enough stuff there that I could be swayed by a good read on it.

Edit: Also it occurs to me that Bong Joon-ho could make a powerful Jurassic Park movie.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

holy poo poo, CelticPredator with an actual good film opinion

Uh, the Alien movies rule

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Covenant is the second best Alien movie after the first one, and it's honestly really close

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

The thing is, you could make the Alien universe a lot bigger if you just throw aliens around into different genres and situations.

MisterBibs posted:

Something like this would have terrible word-of-mouth the minute it's revealed that there's no Aliens in your Aliens movie, though.

Hmm...

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Now Mr. Bib's when you say "a zombie movie that spent most of its runtime on the livestock" do you mean actual livestock or human beings because either way you're a moron.

Edit: what the hell kind of zombie movie is about the zombies??? Probably a real lovely one

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Frankly I'm surprised no one's made a post-kaiju movie where you don't really see the monster but you do see society's reaction to the aftermath. If such a movie exists, let me know.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I think he means something like Grave of the Fireflies, except with Godzilla.

I did but Cloverfield is still a good suggestion.

I know talking about the forums irl is lame but I've explained Mr. Bibs to multiple people and they all think he's ridiculous. Like not even movie people. It rules.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Yo how would I get a copy of b/w BvS, if that's still possible?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

pm Kwaste if you have pms or if not just spoiler an email where he can reach you

Alright. No PMs so K. Waste if you could send a copy to shoomboonline @ gmail it would be much appreciated!

Edit: not a cop

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Happy new year cined. Maybe I'll post more. I like y'all.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Jumping from a year of depression-based unemployment immediately into full time work is wild. Also I moved from Virginia to Colorado, which might be a factor.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

Settle down Dickeye

Please only use this when dickeye is not clearly in the right

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

ruddiger posted:

making GBS threads on a dead guy is in the right?

That's not what this is about at all.

Also, depends on the dead guy.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Killing cops is self defense

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
loving adults shouldn't be tried as adults. Prison is one of the great evils of our society.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Well, the year after I graduated high school, two guys I knew, around 16 or 17 years old, took a girl they knew to the park amd blew her brains out point blank with some stolen guns, because "They wanted to be career criminals and wanted to practice taking a life." So sometimes I'm cool with teens being tried as adults.

Not in the case of the Slenderman thing, of course, tragedies involving mental health are a serious problem, but sometimes people are just evil or want to kill and deserve to be locked away.

Hmm yes that seems like a rational adult motivation and not something that confused teens would come up with

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

I didn't say it was rational, but sometimes people kill for no reason. I mean, yeah, there were rumors that there were other things going on that wasn't being discussed in the news, but it was still a pre-meditated crime, they planned it over a week or two, and they thought they'd get away with it.

Yeah, they're psychopaths, but it's not like they're 12 year old children with a family history of schizophrenia trying to sacrifice their friend to a CreepyPasta.

No one should go to jail, regardless of the crime. Prison is torture, dehumanizing, and modern slavery. Nobody kills for no reason, that's just a convenient lie to ignore the fact that the entire system is hosed by design. Figure out a reason and treat the case with restorative justice in whatever form that takes..

Or send the teens who want to be career criminals to the institution that churns out career criminals. I guess it's your call.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

What if they just love killin

Then they should probably get some psychiatric care? Anything's better than prison which only ever mskes people worse.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

What if I told you that I agree with you, and that it is what we should strive for as a society, but until that utopia happens, I'm okay with two dudes who murdered an innocent girl for seemingly no reason not being allowed freedom?

Yeah let's just loving wait around for utopia to happen instead of taking active steps to make it so.

Prison isn't going to get abolished unless we stop putting people in cages.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Hey internet stranger, I don't think you loving know me or what the gently caress I do in my spare time in regards to rights of individuals and injustices, so maybe don't assume you know me just because we disagree about rehabilitating murderers from seven years ago.

I know you're good people from other things you've said in here. I'm having a really rough morning and I'm trying to calm down. I don't regret what I've said ideologically, but I could have been less agressive towards you. I'm sorry.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

a foolish pianist posted:

My friend was kidnapped, raped, beaten, and decapitated by a serial killer about ten years back. What counts as restorative justice in that case?

I don't have all the answers, there's way better writers and thinkers than me that can try and answer that.

The answer is not to let them rot in a facility where they will be routinely abused by the guards, denied medical care, and work for pennies on the dollar, no matter how much punishment feels right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Most of genchat is very good people and I respect everything people say and have learned a lot from discussions here even though I'm not a very active poster.

• Locked thread