Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
SUNDANCE MOVIES

Free and Easy B
The Discovery C
Wind River B-
Colossal A+
The Polka King B
World Without End A-
Get Out A-
XX C+
Raw A
The Good Postman B+
A Ghost Story A
Carpinteros (Woodpeckers) C
Bushwick B
Marjorie Prime B+
Kuso B-
Burning Sands D+
Diedra and Laney Rob a Train B-
Lemon B-

And a few others
Shin Godzilla A-
10 Cloverfield Lane B-
Midnight Special B-
Five Element Ninjas A
Five Deadly Venoms B-
The Kid with the Golden Arm B+
Invincible Shaolin B
Masked Avengers A-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In Theory I'll write more about these in my Sundance thread but I'll go over them briefly here.

Colossal A+
Basically the oddly perfect combination of an Apitow indie film and a Kaiju movie. I don't really know how they managed to mesh those genres so perfectly but here it is. The movie has a lot of strong themes throughout (some of which would be pretty spoilery if I went into). I'll just say that while there are certain parts of the indie formula it follows, there are others it subverts quite strongly, some by going places you don't think the movie is actually intelligent enough to go, but it goes there. In fact there's a tonal shift at one point that is really disconcerting because it's so against the expectations the movie is building up and you're not sure if the movie knows exactly what it's doing, but once it becomes clear it does, everything falls into place and it also becomes clear that this has always where things have been heading.

Outside of that it's just a fun movie. All the performances are great with Hathaway managing to pull off such a silly premise and make it relatable. The Kaiju stuff is silly but also taken seriously enough that it's clear it's done out of love rather than mockery. Just an all around creative and interesting film

Get Out A-
This is not really the movie you probably think it is and to explain how that's the case is to get into some major spoilers. I'll just say this is way more about the blue states than the red ones. Peele in general makes a pretty great and interesting horror movie that evokes some of the best stuff from the 70s and 80s in that it smoothly but also bluntly integrates it's social criticism and makes something really silly and over the top with it. It's a horror movie that is mostly free of violence and jump scares and it mostly about how odd everything is. The most tense shot in the entire movie is simply and increasingly tight close-up on a character as she apologizes for something. In general the movie feels like the work of a horror fan in that it just pulls from all over with almost Tarantino like abandon. There are bits of the Stepford Wives, You're Next, Stir of Echoes, The Wicker Man, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and in general too much to even name.

It's also pretty funny too.

Marjorie Prime B+
The biggest downfall of this movie is that it is so obviously a play that it's ridiculous. It's all very small with scenes between maybe four characters at the most. The staging is stiff and any shot that takes place away from what would be the stage feels like it's just there to make it feel less like a play rather than to add anything. The writing is also this very specific type that sounds good when projected across a theater, but feels a bit unnatural in a movie. So yeah, this is a play but luckily it's a really good play with really good performances. Lois Smith steals the show, being the only person here that can really make the dialogue always feel natural. She gives such life and warmth to Marjorie which goes a long way. Hamm is also very good in a very different way. Here the unnatural dialogue actually works to the movie's advantage and Hamm manages to create this almost uncanny valley like effect with no special effects needed.

Overall this is just a good thoughtful scifi piece that contemplates concrete things like AI and technology as a substitute for actual interaction to more abstract things like memory, grief, regret and death. This is a movie that I don't think gains all that much from being a movie other than being more widely available to be seen, which in this case is still a good thing.

Kuso B-
This is a gross movie. Like it makes an effort to just continually be as unpleasant and nauseating as possible. While I went in expecting this, it still takes awhile to get used to. If you can get passed that, there is some enjoyment to be had here. The visuals here are often as wildly creative and weird as they grotesque and the movie is also often really, really funny. The whole thing is pure William Street but without the limits that Adult Swim would usually put on something like that. Nothing is held back and it's hard to really say if that's a good thing, but it's there. I guess my main problem with this movie is it just doesn't seem to add up to all that much. Like many of the classic grossout films use there grossness to say something but here I'm not really pulling anything all that interesting. Maybe it's trying to say something interesting through all the blood, poo poo and cum but it was lost on me.

Raw A
This is one of the damnedest films I've ever seen. Like, at the beginning there's an endless listing of production companies and I don't even know how one person got convinced to put money into this but I'm glad they did because, holy crap, what a film. What we have here is basically a very french sexual awakening story. I mean you have the mousy but gorgeous virgin going out into the real world for the first time and her rebellious and sexy sister that has already fully embraced the carnality of the real world acting as her guide and rival. It's all kind of straightforward stuff for a late night cinemax movie except sex here is replaced with cannibalism. I mean don't get me wrong, there is A LOT of sex in this movie but it all gets focused towards the devouring of flesh and the sex scenes are either tinged with animalistic gnashing of the teeth and bloodlust or outright replaced with the orgasmic eating of other people. It's a movie that as I was watching it I constantly just could not believe what I was watching. This is like Crash (the good one) level stuff which coming from a first time filmmaker (who is so French btw that her profile pic in the film guide had her mid cigarette drag) is loving bonkers. Like it helps that the movie is constantly a visual treat and that she somehow films this stuff so it actually works which, once again, is insane for a first time filmmaker. I have no idea what kind of release this movie will ever see but seek it out because you will (probably) not regret it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

Regarding Majorie Prime - have any movies (other than just a recording of a normal performance) been made specifically as stage plays, as if the viewer is in the audience? With dvd's now, maybe you could have an audiotrack with/without audience noises as well? You could still use a bit of editing since it's a movie, but try to film it mostly like a play, i.e. Hitchcock's Rope.

The closest I can think of is Venus in Fur, which while not filmed like the viewer is in the audience, by it's nature is just staged exactly like it would be staged if it were a play with maybe a few minor differences

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
More like Tampoopoo, am I right?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

Paris Is Burning (1990): 5/5
The Nightmare (2015): 0.5/5

These if you will

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm The Lure is finally getting seen. That movie was so much god drat fun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

Wonder Woman is really solid, basically a more serious version of Captain America

That sounds bad though

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While it certainly doesn't mean they are factually bad, from what I can tell outside of CineD the Marvel movies tend to be very well liked and the non-Nolan DC movies tend to be considered really bad. Rarely do I see Superman Returns, Man of Steel, BeaViS or Suicide Squad brought up in a positive light anyplace not here (with almost no one here liking SS either). I'm not saying this as some proof of goodness but rather to counter the idea that saying the DC movies aren't good is somehow edgy.

Also please do not turn this thread into the comic book movie thread tia

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Coraline isn't so much about the parents being bad and learning a lesson but Coraline learning that love does not mean always getting what you want. The other Mother is a creature that doesn't understand love and mistakes thinks it's the same thing as possessing and feeding off someone. Coraline's parents are going through a lot and just want what's best for her but she only sees them neglecting her and making her do things she doesn't like so the Other Mother offering her what she thinks wants appeals to her but when she is loved back in the same way, she starts to see how horrible it is.

Also, the mittens at the end are more of a confirmation that Coraline's real mother really does understand her, not supposed to be a reward that Coraline gets.

Yeah, the whole thing will probably be weird from the perspective of Coraline's parents but it's not really about what they're going through.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 14, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Alien: Covenant B+
Wonder Woman C+
The BFG B-
The Wailing A
Okja B
Big Hero 6 B-
Return to the 36th Chamber A-
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 B+
Baby Driver B+

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 8, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really can't comprehend how your can come away from Baby Driver and feel like it was a cynical exercise designed to sell music. I mean what gave that impression beyond it being a movie that was thouroghly focused on music?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean, they were old school iPods, which I don't think your can even buy anyone and I think were chosen more so Baby had to spin a wheel to navigate his music, connecting it closer to the car.

The other thing just seems to be a pretty standard promotional music video.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's because I know Edgar Wright but it was pretty much just his taste in music. Like the whole movie is so pure Edgar Wright that it seems bizarre to see people think it was by committee. It just feels backwards to assume that in a movie mostly about it's music to think that the music was forced into the movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You don't get it. The music doesn't have to be 'forced into the movie' in order to be pushed as a cross-platform consumer experience. I mean, the film itself mirrors a soundtrack's eclecticism by integrating an entire swath of contrasting genre conventions into its story. But that's not a strength, in my own humble, it's just schizoid.

Chase/heist/mafia/younglovecomedy/musical/revengehorror/chamberdrama/roadmovie. Am I forgetting anything in this narrative mashup? A Guardians of the Galaxy style mom-tape? Check.

Sorry, none of it stuck. Worth a watch, I suppose.

Fair enough. The original criticism just feels more cynical than I think it deserves. If the mixtape pace of the movie didn't work for you, no worries, it was just very deliberate and seemed to be a pure version if much of Wright's style rather than anything born from committee it even with cross promotion initially in mind. To me the cross promotion is more a result of Sony trying to figure out what to do with the movie rather than something the movie was built to do.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
God drat these reviews are getting low effort.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tailored Sauce posted:

While you goofs are all seeing IT, I went to see Wind River. One of the best movies of 2017 so far. Great performances by the entire cast.

IT was way better than Wind River

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Guess who got a movie pass?

IT B
Good Time A-
mother! B+
Logan Lucky B-
Atomic Blonde C+

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

How long did it take to arrive? I'm still skeptical that their whole system will ever be profitable or last.

It took about a month I think, though my mom ordered one before me and still hasn't gotten here so it seems pretty random.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Freaked is a movie that I saw late one night on Fox Movie Channel after it has started and then spent the next few years trying to figure what the hell I had watched before the internet finally showed up to help me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You should of at least have watched different cuts

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Haven't posted in here in awhile. Let's see if I can even remember everything I've seen:

Death Note B-
Friend Request B-
UnFriended A
Gerald's Game B-
American Made C-
Stronger B-
Happy Death Day B+
Blade Runner 2049 B
The Foreigner D+

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Death Note B-
This movie is a mess but I found it to be an enjoyable mess. I admit I have never seen the anime and don't know much about it but from what little I know I don't think we could have gotten a much more coherent movie out of it. The whole thing moves really quickly giving you very little time to focus in on anything, which was honestly probably for the best. The movie tries to stack complexities and rules on you but only does so as needed which keeps things moving and prevents you from thinking to much about this poo poo. It's all very silly but I like silly. Dafoe is great as a cackling rear end in a top hat demon and the kid they got to play L goes full anime in his role and manages to steal the whole movie. Wingard continues to be a pretty good director and while I think a better director might have made this all feel like less of an obvious mess, I also can't fault Wingard for how this turned out. The clusterfuck nature of this really feels like it's by design.

UnFriended A
I am mad I took so long to see this. I knew this was pretty much that one segment from V/H/S as a full movie and I knew I would love that but I put it off anyways and then it turned out better than I expected. I don't think any movie ever made about technology has as fully understood it's subject, how it's used, who uses it and what it's like to use it as much as this movie. This is a movie that understands that aggravation of when you're chatting with someone, see the little message saying the other person is typing just to have no text ever appear on your end. Like everything about this movie's portrayal of everything it portrays is perfect. There is so much going on in every frame of this movie that it's just crazy to me. It also helps that it's a great horror movie that's genuinely unnerving at time while also being a whole lot of fun throughout. I cannot imagine this concept being done better

Gerald's Game B-
This is the most Stephen King Stephen King movie I've ever seen. Usually far more of King's writing gets lost when making it from his books to the screen but here it all feels like we're just watching his book. It's honesty weird hearing what sounds like King's writing come out of people's mouths. The movie itself feels like a more harrowing and better Lifetime original movie. That feeling kind of kept me from getting as invested as I'd like but it still films an unfilmable book surprisingly effortlessly and manages to contain one of the hardest to watch scenes of violence I've seen in awhile.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

nerdman42 posted:

Silent Hill - 7/10

My Little Pony: The Movie - 6/10

The Purple Rose of Cairo - 9/10

Friday the 13th (1980) - 7/10

All of them if you please

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

I'm definitely noticing a trend of people seeing Wonder Woman in the last month or so and not liking it. Not sure how to explain it.

Probably because it's not very good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean Disney Animation until extremely recently was being headed up by the head of Pixar so it makes sense they started to blend together

It also explains the drop in quality because now Lasseter actually had to care if his movies made money and became far more risk averse

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 3, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Fwiw, Disney are actually pulling the Frozen short from Coco. They're claiming it was always meant to be limited and has nothing to do with the massive amount of complaints they've been getting but I don't think anyone actually believes that

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well put

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Haven't posted in here in awhile

The Killing of a Sacred Deer A
Wonderstruck C
Lady Bird A-
Roman J Israel, Esq C+
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri B
Thor: Ragnarok B-
Murder on the Orient Express B-
The Disaster Artist C+
The Shape of Water B+
Star Wars: The Last Jedi B+
The Florida Project A+

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think I still owe some reviews in this thread but let me dump these first

Paddington 2 A
The Commuter B-
Battle of the Sexes B-
The Hero C-

And here's what I saw at Sundance and I should in theory be writing up in the thread I made for it anyways:

Lizzie C+
Mandy A
Sorry to Bother You B
Pity A-
Yardie C
Dead Pigs A-
Search A-
Foxtrot B
The Guilty A-
Tyrel A-
Damsel C-
Monsters and Men C+
Revenge B
Come Sunday B-
Nancy B
Lords of Chaos A-
The Last Race B
Never Goin Back C
Time Share (Tiempo Compartido) B+
An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn B-

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Siskel and Ebert review of Leonard Part 6 is by far the best part of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCOf91smkXU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The 2007 remake is by the same director and is basically almost exactly the same

Also thank you for making the ulitimate wrong "I'm sure it's safe to post my opinion on this movie without finishing it" post

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
that one weird person is me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

its cool and good to hate popular things :smug:

:jerkbag:

Like seriously, come the gently caress on.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I need Ad Astra to either be WAY better or WAY worse.

Like it wants to be this profound movie focusing on the simple questions but it also wants to have moon pirates and killer space monkeys and it meshes really badly. It doesn't help that the profound things it wants to say are not terribly interesting and closer to, say, something on a greeting card.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the last time I posted in here was when I went to Sundance last year and since then I've had a bad year and fell behind on watching movie. I'm gonna try to start getting back into watching movies again so let's start with what I saw at Sundance this year.

Scare Me A
La Llorona (not that one) A
Spree A
His House A-
Possessor A-
Bad Hair B+
Omniboat B
The Night House B-
Yalda: A Night of Forgiveness B-
Kajillionaire B-
Save Yourselves! B-
Jumbo C
Sandlines C-
The Evening Hour C-
Impetigore D

and here are two movies we saw during Sundance down time
Jojo Rabbit C
Knives Out A

and here's what I watched on the plane
The Farewell C+
The Dead Don't Die F

As per usual if anyone is curious about any of these, ask away.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not really that down on it. It just didn't do anything for me. I knew the story going in (I heard the original This American Life story that was then turned into a book and then this movie) and I guess I feel I didn't really get much from watching the movie. It was so slight and while I know that's part of it's charm, it never had anything that I found that interesting or that drew me in. It's well shot, the performances are good and the writing is good, though at times seems a bit eager to give generic sounding life advice. C+ is basically the grade for a movie I can't fault, didn't find enjoyable but also didn't find unenjoyable. It is something I will ever have a desire to watch again and will be amazed if I even remember I saw it in 10 years.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really don't think it's unfair to say the rich family in Parasite is portrayed as being generally pretty nice and some of you just seem eager to dunk on someone for being wrong about a movie.

Like if you've seen Okja you know the director is not really shy about showing his villians as over the top monsters. His movie's aren't subtle. They are shown as being very nice within the range what is expected of them. They at no point in the movie think they're doing anything wrong and are completely unaware when they cross lines because they are unaware those lines exist and no one has ever given them a single reason to care.

This isn't to say it shows them as being particularly good people but they are just shown as people doing the best they can in a system that favors them. It's a movie where a family does a bunch of morally dubious things to try to just be able to survive in an immoral system that allows a different family to not even be aware of their cruelty.

Just in general by making it harder to define the rich family as villians, it makes it harder to focus on them as the problem rather than the system itself.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Parasite is his most subtle movie yet and arguably why it’s so great but if you see the rich as anything other than vile you’re missing the point because it’s pretty explicit. The whole point is that they seem naive and generous but they’re gross and dehumanize those below them. They are the benefactors (and parasites) of the systems but also go beyond that and treat their servants like property.

They treat their servants like you'd expect any employer to treat their employee. It's dehumanizing but also well within social norms and honesly they treat their employees far better than what would be considered acepatable. Like I don't think there's much that the rich family does that, let's say, if your friend did that you would even call them out on it

You seem very focused on telling people that have a different take on the movie that if they don't have yours they are missing the point, even if that view doesn't even contradict what you're even saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

I honestly have the feeling the narration was ordered in at some point in post production a la Blade Runner. The picture clearly doesn't need it.

Oh the movie had a major overhaul at some points because the studio hated it. Liv Tyler wasn't even originally in the movie but they added her in reshoots

...granted this is all half remembered by me and I could be way off