Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Interestingly Al-Andalus is one of those places I keep coming back to. I'll be off somewhere else playing the Vikings or whatever, then decide I want to do yet another Al-Andalus game. I'll be playing the Dutch in EU4, only to suddenly want to give Granada yet another go. The only games of EU4 and CK2 I've ever finished was as Al-Andalus, albeit with using the old EU4+ mod to get a somewhat better start. But I digress!

Off to a good start I see! May Iblis show you the true path to glory or whatever else it is you seek. Or just, y'know, not being eaten by your neighbours! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Things are finally starting to look up! If you fail now it is only because Allah wills it, and not because you misplaced your trust in Iblis.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Alas, poor Norwegian England. We hardly knew ye.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Is it me or does Italy take North Africa WAY too often. I swear every Charlemagne game the Lombards take Tunis by 800AD every game.

It is not you. I read somewhere that the game is REALLY weird if you start at the Charlie bookmark. Francia never leaves the Empire if it enters, the Blobayyads and the Blobassids never fall, the Seljuks have difficulty actually rising, etc. A lot of tiny things leading up to weird results.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
It's the curse of Iblis I tells ya! The entire family bloodline is cursed!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
You are far too lenient, brother Cyrahzax! They have yet only driven the weak crusaders back from Isbillya. The only way for the Jizrunids to really redeem themselves is wresting Qurtubah back from the Aragonese, our ancient enemy, and return Islam to its rightful place in Iberia.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

I'm still not sure if this is what I'll end up going with, I'm still trying to figure out how best it'll be to curtail blobbing in EU4, but it's what I've got so far.

I've found the best way to curtail expansion is to forget you can use your Diplomats to fabricate claims! :v:

That said, the future endeavours of Portugal-Castille and Aragon-Leon will be... a challenge, to say the least. Best of luck to ya!

And on that note:

"Praise be Galind, he who brought Islam back to Iberia! Praise be Galind, he who bested the Aragonese and the Portugese! Praise be Galind, he who saved the Jizrunids from the Curse of Iblis! Praise be!"

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Anachronisms are fun and good, and this is a game where you are encouraged to do weird stuff like make a Suuni Norse trade republic, or spread Irish culture across the Levant. The game is richer for having these little humorous bits and pieces of flavour.

Honestly... I kind of disagree. I'd LOVE it if they made some more clear mechanics regarding the hows and whys of culture spread, not to mention culture melds. There is nothing I despise more than seeing a massive "Irish" across Iberia after I managed to conquer it in a crusade and just by chance had my culture spread there. The Norse for instance were in-/famous for their tendency to spread to wherever they could get their hands on, and their Norman and Rus descendants likewise. In comparison the French didn't really spread outside of Alsace and northern Iberia, nor did the Germans outside of the Wendi-Prussian lands along the southern coast of the Baltic Sea. Italy drove the Moors out from Sicily, the Turks invaded Anatolia, and so on and so forth.

As for Islam spreading to Scandinavia I'm all for that! That one actually makes sense in the whole "Pagans converting to non-Paganism" sense that fits a historical narrative. Iberia suddenly speaking Irish Celtic out of nowhere, driving out possibly millions without any change in the nearby areas... I just don't really like Paradox' culture mechanics in general.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

theblastizard posted:

At least he died without having anything surgically removed from him.

Which will come back and bite us in the rear end, I'm sure!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Rodyle posted:

A man chosen by fortune indeed!

You mean "A man who chose his fortune!"

Seems awfully suspicious of him to have everything fall into his lap like that.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

(please, everybody, no role playing regarding the Jewish moneylenders in the Sultanate)

To be fair though, unless I utterly misremember my history the Iberian Jews actually had quite a good run until the Castillians drove them all out.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

It's not the Andalusians I'm worried about, just the ironic anti-semite forum posters.

But if they're roleplaying Andalusian senators, wouldn't Anti-Semite be the last thing they were? Well, unless they were generally against everything non-Muslim, but still!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
A COMPETENT Jizrunid sultan? Now I have truly seen everything!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Oh come on! The glorious Jizrunids finally have some good luck and now you come up with such an ominous statement! :argh:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

Sultan Ayyub’s firstborn son and heir, Ali, is crowned as his successor in an extravagant ceremony a month later. There are high hopes for the talented youngster, but while there are very few who will ever match the feats of Ayyub, the Mad King is certainly not amongst them.

Why can't we just get to have nice things? :ohdear:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
:captainpop:

Well, that was... was...

Certainly something. Hopefully Andalusia can finally get some stability with a Muslim sultan back on the throne!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Vassals! :argh: Never is there a CK2 game where the vassals doesn't gently caress the player over in one way or another.

I think it's the same problem as usual, there's still very little reward in playing a loyal vassal so of course even the AI has trouble doing so.

Hashim posted:

It’s been another hundred years, so have another map. Don't rely on it too much though, things change... quite a bit over the next couple years.

That said, WTFinland indeed. Not to mention the rest of Scandinavia... they can just never catch a break, can they?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Mad Maxtecs

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Al-Andalus survived the has expanded! :eng101:

Though Rum has fallen... :eng99:

Jerusalem is back in the fold! :eng101:

Though now under the rule of a two year old... :eng99:

This is a real rollercoaster, ain't it?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Muslim America may have been done before, but I stand by the fact that colonial Al-Qahrib is the best thing to ever happen to my games! :colbert:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Blasted opportunists, all of them! May Iblis take their very souls! :argh:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

1620, and the Sunset Invasion is nigh upon us :aaa:

Hang on... Celtic Empire? How powerful ARE the Celts anyhow? What happened to the English?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Pyrenees? The Total Deconquista ends at the Rhein! :colbert:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Will the HRE be divided as per Vanilla or will it stay a unified state? And if the former will Brandenburg, Provence and Tirol(?) be part of it or independent similarly to Italy in Vanilla?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I wish adding provinces to Madagascar and turning it into an African Not!Japan wasn't too much work for the LP...

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Zakrelo posted:

Random thoughts: How about a decision for the christian Spanish states to form Spain if they reunify? The vanilla one would require them to kick Al-Andalus out of Spain completely which probably wont happen...Right?

Why not both? If they manage to unify with all provinces intact - despite the overhanging threat of Al-Andalus - they get a decision to reform Asturias. When they do it gives them the decision to restart the Reconquista, which A) gives them the Crusade modifier whenever they are at war with Al-Andalus; and B) unlocks a specific set of missions:
  • The Portuguese Campaign: Gives them a claim on everything held by Al-Andalus in the Alentejo and Beira regions.
  • The Toledan Campaign: Gives them a claim on everything held by Al-Andalus in the Castille, Leon and Toledo regions.
  • The Aragonese Campaign: Gives them a claim on everything held by Al-Andalus in the Aragon, Catalonia and Valencia regions.
When all three have been completed it unlocks the final Missions:
  • The Andalusian Campaign: Gives them a claim on everything held by Al-Andalus in the Andalusian heartland. This should be the two regions that make up the provinces of Sevilla, Cordoba, Cadiz, Gibraltar, Granada, Almeria and Jaén.
When they've finally retaken all of Iberia they get the decision to finally form Spain, after which they get the normal "OMG we did something fantastic!" reward of +100 Prestige and a permanent modifier of some sort, a permanent +1 Bonus to Papal Influence perhaps?

-----
EDIT:
As for the rest of Europe some are more obvious than others.
  • Russia: Missions for Novgorod, Kiev, Muscovy and Smolensk regarding the conquest of one another and forming Russia. Should Muscovy manage to conquer the bunch I'm sure something could be arranged about a unique government form, what with them being a Republic and all.
  • Scandinavia: Missions for the Swedish Conquest of Västergötland; the Danish Conquest of Zeeland and Skåneland; the Norwegian Conquests of Vestlandet and Østlandet; the Icelandic Conquest of the Faroes Region, which should include Orkney. Basically with the exception of independent Iceland and Finland and Norwegian Sapmí the missions should relate to returning to Status Quo.
  • Finland: Finnish Unification is an obvious one. Would in this case include Karelia, and could eventually include Ingria and Estonia too.
  • Western Europe: For France the Conquest of Brittany and the Conquest of Sardinia are obvious. The Celts need some mission to reconquer Gaul, if only for comedy.
  • Reformation: Austria, Toulouse and Carinthia should get something relating to the reformation, whether that be mere Events or even some bonuses unique to them due to their "Ending the Game as Heresies" status.
  • ERE: The Greek states should get missions regarding reunification, and both them and Nicaea should get the mission to reconquer Constantinople and reform Byzantium. Similarly what little remains of Rum should have claims on Nicaea and the option to conquer Constantinople and form the Not!Ottomans with relevant unique Government if the stars align.
  • West Africa: The Almoravids, Ghana and Songhai should be looking at each other with greed. The Sub-Saharans have held Mauretania in the past, and similarly the Almoravids seem to be expanding southwards. Why not be silly and make the Canaries the Ryukyu of the west while you're at it!
  • East Africa: With the Coptic Pope in his care Abyssinia could have a line of missions around conquering Berbera, Nubia, Alodia and Meroe, and eventually retaking Egypt and the Coptic holy city of Alexandria.
The Middle East is, as you've pointed out, a mess. Everyone and their grandmother have claims on one another as they all vie for the title of Caliph and to establish which branch of Islam is better than the rest. As such there are some contenders in particular which could need a bit of a see to.
  • The Fatimids with their Shia Islam
  • The Uqaylids with their Hurufi Islam
  • The Qadirids as the rulers of Mecca and Medina.
  • Filastin as the rulers of Jerusalem
  • Armenia as the current Caliph of Sunni Islam
  • Persia, if only for their size and for IRL History
  • The Ghazi, as the sole land-holding Islamic Holy Order
  • Rum, should they despite the odds manage to reconquer Nicaea and Constantinople, are a good contender for the Caliphate
  • I'll admit I'm not sure who the Otaybahi and the Nurradin are (couldn't they just be renamed Syria and Iraq?), but I'm sure something could be done with them.
As for what it entails I'm less sure. The new Mandate of Heaven mechanics seems useful in some regard, inspiration if nothing else, but I'm not sure how exactly.

Finally, things regarding Al-Andalus itself, not to mention Sicily.
  • Andalusian missions to finish their reconquest of Iberia, with following Modifier should they succeed.
  • Andalusian missions regarding the Golden Cities in the Americas.
  • Al-Andalus and Sicily should both have missions on the Beleares, Corsica and Sardinia. Eventually they also get missions on one another.
From there though? Continuing upwards towards the Rheine? Conquering Italy and Greece? The possibilities are endless for Al-Andalus!

Luhood fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 25, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I'll loudly protest (not really) the fact that Karelia seems to no longer be independent from the Russian yolk! Finland needs to stretch from the White Sea to the Baltic Sea, dangit!

Also I think just like Filastin can form Egypt, Crusader Egypt should get a decision to form Jerusalem if they can get hold of the relevant provinces.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
1A
2B
3B
4C
5B

Muslim Americas (again), the land of the rising sun possibly standing dominant, peace on the seas of Malacca, the Nahua spreading their wings. Give me the Not!Daimyos of Madagascar and a Confucian Japan rather than a Buddhist one and I think I'd be set for this LP.

EDIT: I figured my ideas could get expanded and explained. It began with me reading a thread on Reddit, on the "History What If" sub, where someone asked what would have changed if the Zulus went through a modernisation effort similar to Japan's Meiji Restoration. The highest voted answer explained that the Zulus as a comparatively new state with little in terms literacy, administration and economy didn't really have a whole lot to expand upon. A bit further down that thread another user listed a bunch of other African states of the time that would've stood a much higher chance of having their own Meiji restoration occur. One of these was the Merina Kingdom of Madagascar.

As for Confucian Japan it ties into the "Buddhists and Jain flee to Indonesia" answer. It sounds like one where Buddhism doesn't get a lot of influence over China and similarly doesn't really influence Japan either. As such I imagine Confucianism could get an even larger influence, whatever this entails in terms of Lore or Mechanics.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 28, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

Part 1 – China

Part 2 – Japan

The Red Turbans, the Bajkal Horde and a strong Japan. Things are looking to become really interesting in the Far East! Here's hoping for a Japanese Mandate of Heaven!

Hashim posted:

Part 4 - West Africa

Part 5 - America

Things are looking up in the Far West as well, not to mention in Africa. Here's to seeing a Mandé South America, and a Polynesian Mexico!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

When do we get to vote on Dread Penguins from the Antarctic?

Turns out the Penguins of AndalusLP are actually ostritch-sized Raptor Birds who feast on the flesh of Seals.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

New Taifas

Al-Andalus will become a beacon to Christ's folly! Let the Pyrenees stand as the first barrier to the Christian World, then push the barrier back to the Rhine!

Luhood fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 6, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I, Qasim al-Cyrahzax of the glorious and unopposable Taifas, propose that we focus our efforts in annexation on the three westernmost Christian kingdoms of Iberia: Portugal, Galicia and Leon.

These realms are the weakest of our neighbors and the most vulnerable to direct military force: we must crush them before greater Christian kingdoms, France especially, decide to interfere with them. Every Christian king in Iberia is threat and a wild card- it's intolerable!

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, wholeheartedly support the al-Cyrahzax family in this suggestion!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'm down with this. A clean and pretty border between Islam and Christendom is the most important thing.

As long as that border goes along the Rhine I'm game!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

vyelkin posted:

I think you guys voting to attack Portugal first are missing that Hashim has a mission available from day 1 to attack Castille, whereas going to war with Portugal will take longer. I think a little flexibility in war targets would be preferable.

Like I have gone on and on about, as long as the end-goal is the Rhine I am content with any war waged against Christian pigs.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Perhaps demanding specific wars is too shortsighted? None of us knows what the future holds, what problems and opportunities may come, so:

I, Qasim al-Cyrahzax of the enlightened and victorious Taifas, propose that we attack whichever Christian kingdom is weakest and most isolated, with particular attention being paid towards conflicts between them. The goal of these invasions is nothing less than complete annexation for each and every one of them, no matter how many wars it takes.

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, wholeheartedly agree with al-Cyrahzax! Galicia shall fall to their folly of taking advantage of us! Castille and Leon shall fall for their audacity to be independent! France shall taste our steel for holding onto Sardinia and Corsica!

As for allies try to throw some feelers to Palermo and Bavaria. We need to protect Muslim interest in Sicily, and along with the Kaiser (Bavaria was the Kaiser, were they not?) we can make a strong effort to contain France!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Peninsula shmeninsula, the real travesty is not owning the Balearic Isles.

Balearic, Shmalearic, the REAL travesty is not owning France.

EDIT:

While Cyrahzax' plan is an excellent long-term goal I strongly support, if we start looking at the short-term like Hashim actually wants there starts turning up flaws.

As such I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, propose we start looking for documents regarding our claims on Iberia in general but Castille in particular seeing how they now stand as the strongest of the Christian Iberians.

And as I said, try ally Palermo in order to stave of Italy and Bavaraia (or whomever is the Kaiser) to contain France!

Luhood fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 8, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, remain with the Taifas! The French are nothing but squatters on proper Andalusian land!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, hereby declare a motion that we are to KEEP our alliance with the Celts. If we are to have the Rhine as our goal we can't let their lack of piety stand in the way of a masterful alliance.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

the JJ posted:

The "we won the electoral vote by YUGE amounts" proposal

As a merchant I propose we not ditch an important friend in the struggle with France.

Just because the Ulema are getting all puritanical doesn't mean we should randomly abandon an important ally at a time when the French threat looms large.

Samovar posted:

After close consultation with my clients, I, Samwyiyl al-Samivyr, declare myself to be a silly-billy who can't read. Sorry!

As I know lord Samwyiyl al-Samiyyr declared his support for my Motion, despite the rules dictating he was in fact not able to actually vote for it, I implore him to put his vote behind JJ's proposal. I also implore any merchant who aren't willing to see a good ally in the north go to waste to vote for him, as do I ask any Taifa who aren't willing to see it put their vote for me.

Finally, I ask our honourable Sultan to see mine and JJ's motions as a single one from two different factions, and count their votes together as votes against the Ulema's crazy puritanical proposal of severing the Celtic alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, will openly admit that I was wrong about the Celts. I will stand by that it would've been a dumb decision to prematurely end the alliance, but I will say the Ulema turned out to have been right about them.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I agree with the sentiment here, but we must go further:

I, Ismail al-Cyrahzax, propose that we use the wealth that will surely be coming to us on a comprehensive program of military expansion and reform. We should build a barracks in the capital and in other population centers if possible, while also expanding the size of the standing army, recruiting better officers to lead it, drastically increasing our research into military technology, and maintaining a minimum amount of wealth for hiring auxiliary forces in times of crisis.

Following that I will support this decision! If we are ever to stand a chance against the French we need to strengthen our position, which means expanding our military and ensuring our arms are at the innovative forefront.