Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hashim posted:

And with that, yet another sultan dies prematurely :( Because the chapter was cut short, and we’re coming up on another hundred years, here’s a world map:

There are a couple interesting things going on, which I haven’t been able to include in the chapter:

- France was under the rule of a Karling for quite some time, because they’ve been an Elective Monarchy since the fall of the Capets.
- Those ugly blobs in the HRE are actually independent, they broke free after a revolt. Also, there’s been a really long succession of Italian emperors, which is odd.
- The Mongol Empire went Buddhist for a short while, before settling on Orthodox.
- All of India is now under the control of Hindu kings, and they’re beginning to push into Baluchistan.

That's a good Byzblob.
Also: why is Italy a snake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If I recall, you can't take any territories when a Crusade/Jihad/Holy War is called on you.

In CK2 you can never take land in a defensive war, only in offensive ones.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Which LP was that again?

Grey Hunter's Ghana LP

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

B
C
B
B
A

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Slaan posted:

Things never end up well for native Americans I guess :(

Read ByzLP, it has the Haida and Ayiti as Great Powers throughout the entire LP.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

New Taifas for now.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I propose that we disinherit our current heir as soon as we are at 0 prestige.
The single most important thing in the game is keeping up in mil tech, so far we've had a 0 and a 1 mil ruler, another 1 mil ruler will ensure we fall behind even further.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I agree with the sentiment here, but we must go further:

I, Ismail al-Cyrahzax, propose that we use the wealth that will surely be coming to us on a comprehensive program of military expansion and reform. We should build a barracks in the capital and in other population centers if possible, while also expanding the size of the standing army, recruiting better officers to lead it, drastically increasing our research into military technology, and maintaining a minimum amount of wealth for hiring auxiliary forces in times of crisis.

Most of this isn't something that can really be done easily.
Building barracks can of course be done, but is at odds with keeping a solid cash reserve.
Expanding the army is useless if we're behind in mil tech (especially if it's a tactics tech, like we currently are), all we're going to do is feed more men into the meat grinder and accumulate more war exhaustion.
Recruiting better officers is luck of the draw and costs mil points and as such is directly at odds with investing more into tech.
And it didn't seem like our wise sultan wasn't already investing all our mil points into tech and generals, so in the end this proposal would not actually do that much towards making us competitive with France again.

Instead we need to increase the amount of mil points we get monthly, so I ask the taifas to reconsider their votes and vote in favor of disinheriting our 1 mil heir.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Switching to the Ulama

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

What are our accepted cultures right now?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hashim posted:

Only Andalusian, our primary culture.

OK, thanks!

I'll propose the Conversion Preparation Act
Which will instruct our sultan to add the two cultures with the most development in our states to the list of accepted cultures (this should be Portuguese and Castilian)
This will not only increase our income from this region and reduce the revolt risk there, but it will also prepare the area for conversion at a later date.

VVVVV in that case, I retract my proposal

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 20, 2017

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hashim posted:

On that last part, I'm going to be treating Accepted Cultures as actual accepted cultures, like the Ottoman millets. That means no religious conversion or culture conversion to cultures that have been accepted.

Do we have +Tolerance of heathens coming up in our NIs somewhere like vanilla granada? Because otherwise we'll definitely have to pick up either Religious or Humanism at some point.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Just some comments on the gameplay effects of each proposal:

Soup du Jour posted:

Proposing the Internal Stability Edict, mandating increasing Stability to +3 as soon as possible, and taking decisions to reduce National Unrest whenever available. The current political crisis is worrying, but if we tear each other apart, all of Al-Andalus will be lost to the vultures that surround us.
Investing ADM points to get to Stab+3 is usually a waste of points, as each level past +1 gets progressively more costly (and we probably already have pretty high stabcost due to our religious unity being below 100%)

paragon1 posted:

I, al-Paragonia of the Merchants, propose that we extend rights to the other peoples of Iberia by accepting their cultures.

Surely some common ground (and profit) can be found? Rebellions are expensive.
Hashim has already said that he's not going to convert accepted cultures, so if we accept any Christians we have to either commit to getting Humanism later on or live with constant sources of rebellions forever.

Luhood posted:

Hmm, you're right. This has to end somewhere, and fast!

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, hereby propose that in order to stave off any further rebellion we are to acknowledge and formalise the Dhimmi's rights before the Sultan, as well as the rights of any Qarbiyan Dhimmi that may arise due to the Merchants' efforts in the west. The rights of worship and language of all Dhimmi are to be protected in return for loyalty and a standard Jizya tax. Let Humanism become the future for Al-Andalus!
We just picked up a new NI group at ADM tech 8 and it's an Admin idea, so it's quite unlikely we'll get around to picking up another idea group this session. And even if so, picking up a second Admin group might not be a great choice.

Hashim: don't know if you want to give it away, but do we have a +tolerance to heathens idea coming up in our national ideas similar to vanilla Granada?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Frionnel posted:

Accepting cultures makes no difference on the difficulty of converting, by the way. Maybe the rule of no conversions at all unless the Ulema is dominant will be a bit too punishing in the long term, until we can at least adopt humanism.

But hey, the other option is to conquer a bunch of muslim land to balance out our demographics. Morocco is Andalusian clay!

yes it does, since we're not in the same culture groups as the Iberians. Non-accepted cultures in a different group have a -2% reduction in conversion speed.
Not that this really matters, since Hashim has said that he's not going to convert accepted cultures at all.

Also: I'm declaring for the Loyalists

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Loyalists

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ulama

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Aw man, when did they add that. Though really, I probably wouldn't build much there anyways unless i could boost gold production.

it's been in for quite a while. And you definitely want to build manufactories there if you can afford it, for that sweet, sweet trade income

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A The Sultan

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'll join the Taifas

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I will propose the Homeland Security Act
- develop level 24 mil tech asap
- Build max level Fortresses in Navarra, Wasqah and Jabal Tariq
- build level 2 fortresses in Evora, Qunka and Liyun and scrap the other smaller fortresses on the peninsula

The large fortresses will make sure we have strong fortifications at every entrance to the Iberian peninsula and in the best possible defensive terrain, securing the peninsula for ourselves as long as the navy holds our coasts. (Forts in mountain provinces are an amazing defence)
The smaller fortresses will control the countryside and make sure that in the case of rebellion, order is quickly restored. (the Zone of Control exerted by forts massively increases the speed at which devastation is reduced, thus helping to keep our provinces productive)

I will also suggest to my colleagues among the traders and in the ulema that taking an administrative idea group while we are not even halfway through filling out Humanism and also need at least another 450 admin points to reduce our inflation might not be the best option, as progress would be incredibly slow, Maritime might be more useful, as it allows us to grow our navy further to directly compete with both Morocco and the Gaelic Empire.
In case any of my colleagues are considering what to propose in their legislation, it might also be prudent to dishinherit our current heir, as he is not up to the task of leading a modern state.

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 10, 2017

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

It's actually not a tough decision at all. We need morale, force limit and unit cost reductions. But morale most of all. What I suggest we do is to take defensive ideas

I would generally agree, but we are behind on mil tech and still have two ideas of Offensive left to finish:

we also have a 4/1/1 coming up as the next sultan, unless a faction decides they want to use an instruction to get him disinherited.

I would generally advise people not to vote for another administrative idea group though, even if getting innovative sounds nice on paper. For those of you who are not as familiar with the game, here's why:
Humanism, administrative and innovative are all idea groups whose ideas you buy by paying for them with administrative power points. What does admin power do?
  • core provinces
  • buy administrative ideas
  • increase stability
  • buy admin tech
  • reduce inflation
  • increase a province's base tax
As a result of this, admin points are usually the most important limitation for an conquering power, as they determine how quickly you can integrate new territory by coring it.
If we pick up another administrative idea group, every time we have to chose between either advancing the new group, advancing Humanism (and there's some life-saving poo poo coming up for us there, we want to get the heretic tolerance at the end of the idea group as soon as possible), advancing our technology or conquering more stuff. (not to mention that we still need to reduce the 13 inflation we're sitting on) A second admin idea group will therefore not actually do much for us, as there are much better places to spend our admin points, and instead only block that idea group slot for the next decades without giving us any return on our investment.
Instead we should pick up a diplomatic or military idea group (where I would probably prefer diplo, since we're ahead of time on tech there and military is still behind). If you guys want to increase our trade income, vote for trade, if you want to increase our naval power then vote for maritime, which will also help income through more light ships, if you want better armies, go for defensive.
All of these will yield far better returns on investment and be more immediately helpful to us than going for another admin group

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

He had 30 loving useless transport vessels in there so I'm going with this.

The Celts probably also have more naval focused ideas.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Let's have peace and prosperity

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

mcclay posted:

I am going to submit the Urban Expansion Act
1. Raise all provinces to at least 10 development, spread evenly among the three stats
2. Build a university in every state.

Agreed
Though a lot of Iberia is already over 10 development, so you might want to put in a provision to improve provinces with 17 or 18 development to 20

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 17, 2017

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Though obviously getting tons of autonomy in all your provinces ruined everything and you're probably never supposed to actually chose that event option.
For real, why would you ever chose the autonomy option? Especially because chosing the other option stops the event from triggering.
I mean -5 diprep isn't great, but way better than 15 autonomy in every single province

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Chatrapati posted:

What sort of republic do revolutionaries usually cause? It's a little odd that they wouldn't always cause a revolutionary republic.

Constitutional Republics.
The thing with revolutionary republics is that it's usually confined to the target of the revolution, of which there can only be one.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

:vince:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

So if you could pinpoint one field battle where losing was backbreaking enough to start this downward spiral into international implosion which battle would it be?

it wasn't any field battle, it was when Hashim kept clicking the "gain 15% autonomy" option in the time of troubles event to RP the continued focus on the war against France. So I blame the Taifas :colbert:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I think this is the guilty post right here. Here was the beginning of our isolation and downfall! :argh:

Taifas! :argh:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hashim posted:

Yeah, I added a few decisions for the countries surrounding Serbia to become Revolutionary states if they invaded and defeated in a war. It had happened to Vakhtanis/Armenia, Hungary, and Bavaria, whilst Serbia became the Baltic Union after conquering Greece and Constantinople, before Morocco invaded them and forced them to release Greece. Serbia basically became the big baddie this day, after the Almoravids crushed Tirruni in the early years.
Really pushing those claims, aren't they?
:getin:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hashim posted:

Tirruni will have ambitions of his own for Iberia, and he's got an event chain to decide exactly how he wants to deal with it, but a resurgent al-Andalus will be quite powerful, so it's obviously something he wants to avoid. Not great news for the Majlis, but still, we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.
ftfy

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Does Liege have its own national identity like in OTL, or do you think the fact that they didn't have their own empire means they could be subsumed into a German national identity?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

They're probably Flemish or Dutch.

Yeah, but the distinction in our time between German and Dutch is one that was built on the different polities that populations lived in, pre 19th century north German dialects are very close to Dutch and are only standardized into German after unification, so a Netherlands that doesn't have their foundational experience of fighting off the Spanish and building their own empire might well be folded into a German nation if that comes to pass.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hashim posted:

I've taken a couple days off conversion work, but since I apparently like making maps, here's what the culture map is looking like at the start of vicky:

There are still a few alterations that need to be made, but most of the changes from vanilla so far are in Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and the Americas - partly because those are the regions that change most during CK2/EU, and partly because I don't know enough about ROTW to be changing its cultures very drastically. I'd be happy to make more changes where they make sense though.

If I could make some suggestions regarding the cultures in Germany and the Netherlands:
A lot of those differences in OTL between Flemish, Dutch and North German are due to the different polities that those populations ended up in and their religions. The difference between Flemish and Dutch would for example be due to the Flemish being Catholic and the Dutch being Calvinists and before the homogenization of German as a language, the difference between Dutch and Northwest German would be a difference in religion (Lutheran vs Calvinists) and the separate history of the Dutch Empire. Those lines and polities are very different in this timeline though.
Liege is lacking the imperial history of the Netherlands that sets them apart from the rest of the Germanic sphere, and they are Catholics surrounded by Protestants, so I'd fold the Flemish into Dutch, since according to the last religious map, the Flemish and the Dutch are both majority Catholic. The Northwest of OTL Germany is also Catholic in that screenshot, so I'd extend Dutch further east, and tie North German pops to Protestantism and Dutch pops to Catholicism. Wallonia is Protestant this time around, so I'd fold Wallonian and Picard into one culture, since Belgium doesn't exist to have them emerge as a separate identity.
I'd also give Liege the Austria treatment, where they are not required to form Germany, but can join up or form it themselves (though a Hanover led Germany would want to keep them out, to avoid tilting the religious balance further in favour of Catholics, while a Bavaria led Germany would want to get them in for the opposite reason).
So the tl;dr is that I'd line up cultures more along religious lines, since a lot of these identities are not yet firmly established at game start and were tied to religious identities for a long time.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Do remember that our next ruling party will have to navigate the Springtime of Nations, so a vote for Imperialists is a vote for more liberalism. Plus, most of our income is still from agriculture, so while it may not be the best option for industry, it'll still not crater the nation.
Plus: the Springtime rebellions might take one or both of our targets out of the Moroccan sphere, so I'd rather have a party in power that strikes while the iron is hot, especially Qattalun seems ripe for some revolts.
Also: switching ruling party will probably change our Vizier (at least that how those events work in regular NNM), so we'd be rid of the guy that halves our infamy reduction.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Yessod posted:

Moderates please. Burn off the infamy, build up the industry, then we can jump in.

For those of you voting Moderates for the infamy cooldown, consider that we currently have a grand vizier that halves our BB reduction, and if the Moderates stay in power, so will the Grand Vizier.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Pakled posted:

We can only hope that the Russian AI is too dumb to work out how to send troops en masse to Western Europe.

Or alternatively that France can crush Hannover before Russia can really mobilize.

Figuring out how to move troops all the way across Eurasia is the one thing V2 AI is good at.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

If you want colonies, you have to vote Imperialists in this election.
Due to the time it takes to research and build the ports we need to claim African colonies it is imperative we do so in the 56-66 term. If we elect Imperialists next term there will simply not be any time to first research the port level techs and then upgrade the ports, which takes literally years. So unless you vote Imperialists now it's very unlikely we'll be able to grab a significant chunk of Africa.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Mirdini posted:

L-F is only really disastrous later in the game when you have a really large industrial base, as-is it might hurt us a bit but the benefit of getting commerce + naval techs should outweigh that.

But by all means, let's go reactionary and eventually get ruined by rebels instead.

Yeah, this. L-F isn't great by any means, but consider that the price for not having it is not being set up for grabbing African colonies, which are great sources for resources (especially rubber, which will be the #1 resource come the 1910s) and markets for products.
People are overstating how much laissez faire is going to hurt us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Another reason to vote Imperialist: We're still lacking the economy tech that gives us an invention with a full 50% farming efficiency bonus.