Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

QuoProQuid posted:

anyone know anything about the ballot initiative in maine or the special in Washington?

All 2 people I know who live in Dhingra's district have been double checked to make sure they voted (they did)

Washington always has slow-rear end results because it's 100% mail-in voting and the ballot only has to be postmarked by election day, not received by election day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If Gillipsie loses, how the hell is Breitbart,The Donald, Donald Trump going to spin it?

voter fraud, they need to suppress more votes to make sure all those illegal democratic votes aren't cast

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Now I just need final confirmation that I'll have a state senate that doesn't suck rear end and I will be very happy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm assuming a big special election year for democrats will make at least a few republicans in the senate scramble to distance themselves from trump any way they can, so drive that margin sky high

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The GOP is going to panic over this. Their strategy to go full racist may have completely backfired. But the thing is they have no other strategy. Racism is all they have and the electorate is getting less racist every year,

The GOP is hosed going forward. There will be losses and setbacks but they are hosed long term.

They'll rebuild with a different coalition, but it could potentially take a while yeah

there was only one democratic president between Ford and Reagan

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is this the kind of rout that makes 2018 senate matter or do you need like D+20 for that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Senate is near unattainable just due to who is up for reelection and where. It has nothing to do with turnout.

But the House... my god the House is in sight.

A wave strong enough to beat Cruz puts the Senate in play but I'm assuming that's way bigger than the wave we're seeing here

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

sharkbomb posted:

I'm envious of all of you-- all I got to vote for today in PA was some city positions and judges... and something about property taxes.

punched that 'D' button down the line and went about my day.

I got to choose between two left-leaning mayors and vote for port commissioner or some poo poo

My parents got to decide the fate of the state legislature so that's cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ozmunkeh posted:

https://www.vpap.org/electionresults/election-8829/map/

So this is a hell of a thing. In 2015 it was 58.5% R (10,551) to 41.5% D (7,472). Currently 50.01% R (12,865) to 49.99% D (12,861) with 21 precincts of 22 (95.45%) reporting.

Four votes whoa

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Paracaidas posted:

Early returns have the Medicaid expansion outrunning Hillary in Maine. Outside of the mindboggling insanity of

Maine's expansion is the last open question of the evening. WA-Sen will likely be a few days out before any call is made.

My memory is hazy but I think intermediate vote counts do get reported in WA but it isn't by precinct or anything. Anything but a D blowout seems unlikely so we'll probably know tonight

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Paracaidas posted:

I'd be surprised if we get a call, but then, tonight's been all about surprising me.

The WA secretary of state won't officially call the election for a few more days but Dhingra won the primary by 11 points and was polling well so the chance early results aren't conclusive is low (though obviously not zero)

I could be misremembering when early results come in though and it might be tomorrow or later but I think it's tonight

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

farraday posted:

Well before absentees. Local races are tiny and can have tiny margins. But obviously one vote never matters.

Well since VA is now officially a blue state, time for me to move on. From now on I am Georgian.

The sentiment is still true though. I'm sure there's closer examples in places I don't live but in 2004 the WA governor's race was determined by less than 200 votes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The fox news take seems to be that the Rs didn't embrace trump hard enough

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

yeah, that one too. i wonder if part of it really is the rain making old ladies not wanna get out of their cars.

even if it maybe helped us here, in-person voting is the loving worst

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Admiral posted:

You Americans need to learn the way of the Democracy Sausage.

(And weekend voting.)

I live in a state with 100% mail-in voting

It rules

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the WA election should start having results posted in ten minutes. Here's the official page for the important one:

http://results.vote.wa.gov/results/current/LegislativeDistrict45.html

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/928110681169252352

Dave Wasserman is saying the count is now 48D/48R with 4 left to call.

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928111438425722880

VPAP has it at 49D/51R with 4 left to call. Not sure why they're different.

VPAP's indicator thing assumes uncalled races go to the incumbent's party

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The very first results in WA-45 has Manka Dhingra up by 11 points nice

e: and I think because of mail-in voting early counts are closer to a truly random sample than they are in most states

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/928112323260231680

Congrats to our West Coast goons, y'all now officially live on the Left Coast

Yeah I double checked and the number of votes reported is somewhere around 20% of the population of the district. Dunno what turnout looks like but this is a significant percentage of all votes with a +11 lead, Dhingra's won

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

cricket fields?

Cricket is really popular in India

Maybe there was also a cricket field built in the area recently?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Non-ranked voting systems suck

Instant runoff and STV everywhere please

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've read enough 538 to not trust a single poll result but that's super promising. If democrats get a pickup in an unwinnable state like Alabama, the path to 51 in 2018 doesn't require going after any impossible races, just difficult ones

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Quorum posted:

So I'm back at my computer and I've got actual thoughts on this now. 1) First, again, still a prediction based on how recounts turn out, so adjust your expectations accordingly. 2) Second, while fly-by-night procedural tricks are definitely a possibility with the House of Delegates locked in deadlock, the Republicans actually have less incentive to do this than Democrats do, because any bill that passes the House still has to pass the Senate, which remains in 31-29 Republican control, and then be signed by a Governor Northam who is surely not interested in signing bullshit. The Senate has also proven more willing to deal with Democrats on certain matters, like redistricting reform. 3) Third, the last time this happened, the Democrats got the Speakership because one of the Republican delegates was late being seated; if that happens again, whichever party has the advantage is going to get the Speakership, and I don't expect as much collegiality in the chamber as there was in 1997. If both parties are at parity when the session is seated in January, I honestly don't know what will happen, as it'll depend on their power sharing negotiations, which I don't doubt are already going on behind the scenes in the event it officially turns out in a tie. We might see a consensus, outside Speaker, or the Governor might bribe one of the weakest Delegates and/or Senators in the Republican caucus with a plum position to sway the balance of power (that's happened before). I don't know, and neither does anybody else! Whee! It's likely to be interesting enough that there might be call for a thread to keep discussing Virginia stuff (and maybe DC/Maryland also) after the elections of this year are over and done, honestly.

Republicans first gained control of the WA state senate by offering certain moderate/right-leaning democrats top positions if they caucused with the Republicans instead. Power-sharing agreements can do weird-rear end poo poo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think there's usually one or two polls that are off by ten or more points but even if this is the extreme outlier that means the race is tied. In Alabama. And, statistically speaking, any individual poll is unlikely to be the outlier so this is insane.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is that the kind of thing that smacks of electoral fraud or does that happen all the time by accident and we never notice in races that aren't super close?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Communist Zombie posted:

And for two? Cause them having no recourse seems like utter bullshit. If the person who gave them the wrong ballot got charged with voter fraud would be atleast something.

This is why a court, instead of random people in an internet comedy forum, will be the ones to figure it out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I dunno that I have a solution to the problem but the fact that out justice system literally pays people to do everything they can to get a guilty verdict is pretty hosed up

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

axeil posted:

Please describe a justice system that doesn't have prosecutors and yet somehow still remains impartial/fair.

Because that's what you're arguing right now. If that's not your argument, then clarify.

When asked upthread what they meant by "reform" their answer was "fire the racist fuckheads and hire non-lovely people" which is a pretty good if hard to execute plan imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My understanding which comes entirely from 538 is that Jones wins if the demographics of the turnout are much more demographic-leaning than past elections, because basically all the polls had to make up for lovely samples with heavy demographic weighting

So to the extent exit polls mean anything this is great

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

QuoProQuid posted:

let me be the first to say that i think its all going to come down to turnout

You'd be safe to say that about nearly every election

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/940772313972256768

awwwweeeee yeah we're getting stat-y in here

That graph has terrible axis labels

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

axeil posted:

that's how the graphs actually look when you do things in SAS/R/Python/etc.

I make R graphs a ton for work and I wouldn't push that to twitter without putting in real labels

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Muppets On PCP posted:

by default but it's like one line to relabel them

Less than a line in R, the x label and y label are arguments in the plot() function call

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If trump gives us a democratic senator in loving Alabama does that mean accelerationists were right

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The punishment for a crime loophole in the 13th amendment is super hosed up on multiple axes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, what is it with Democrats and just being stupid about getting themselves elected.

Also what is OFA?

Obama For America I believe

e: guess I'm wrong

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 13, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What exactly does the national party do? My understanding is they functioned sorta like a super PAC in that they had money donated for the cause but for not any specific campaign, and strategically spent it on the races where they thought it would matter most.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

so the takeaway isn't "white people are terrible" but "evangelicals are terrible, and also overwhelmingly white"?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Incentivizing good health is a cool idea but the punishment for not doing what you can to be healthy shouldn't be telling you to go die by refusing your health care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can the Republicans not just refuse those posts? Or are they technically "promotions" so each individual person would benefit from taking the post?

• Locked thread