Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The summer is the time they prefer to try out a new guy anyway, that stretch leading up to the start of the G-1 is when Okada had his first run, AJ had his and Naito had his. It always feels a bit of a lame duck season though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Imagine for a moment being the guy who has to tell MiSu he's now going to be booked as an old guy, and you go a long way to understanding why he will continue to be booked the way he is.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

G.O.D just seemed to click some point last year, and they really grew into their own without much fanfare during the tag league. It helps that they have the sweariest offence known to man.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I believe you'll find this is the time for Yoshi-Hashi to continue being cool and good and so often overlooked by winning the NJ Cup so he can have a career making match with his big brother Okada (which he will lose).

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Well it's also 3 guys from each of the main factions minus Suzuki Gun which makes sense if the poster was made before New Years Dash.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is an affair really something one would get buried for?

Big time. It's one of those cultural things where you can see your career seriously get derailed for a time. If you're young enough then you can bounce back from it, but Shibata isn't exactly young.

You're more likely to get buried for allegations of having an affair for example than you are are for allegations of domestic assault.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

What is ZSJ's billed weight like 160?

No really. He gets ribbed about this a lot. But he's starting to put some more weight on, so maybe expect him to get bigger in the near future.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Thrifting Day! posted:

Kevin Jelly said on commentary yesterday that ZSJ would be a Jr in NJPW.

I would take anything Kelly says on commentary with a pinch of salt.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

If you don't mark out when he does the whole poundshop laser claws thing in his intro then I don't know whats wrong with you. I would go to a rave with Evil.

An evil rave.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Rovert is right.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

My boy Yoshi going all the way this year, so we can have the big mentor/sidekick match.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Anyone but Yano and I will be happy.

And I don't even really dislike Yano, but the longer he stays in the tourny the more chance there is for him vs MiSu and I never ever want to see that loving match again.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Controversial opinion: Yujiro is becoming less poo poo than he has been in years. I'm not going as far as to say he's even remotely good, but he's starting to show signs of not being utter shite.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Mods can I have a name change to "11 Minutes 52 Seconds Army Masturbation."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Fale going to win the IWGP title and it will be great.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I think Shibata/Okada would be a hell of a WK main event now.

Which is a shame for Kenny, but well you have to go with the hot hand.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's kinda of funny how strongly Fale has been built up compared to Jinder's title shot. I mean both are not the best ideas but Fale at least makes booking sense with the New Japan Cup finish and all his tags since than

Fale also has the most number of wins over Okada out of anyone on the roster. He's always credible when they put him in this slot.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

GOD and their swear based offence would hurt the bollywood boys poor sensitive ears.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Thrifting Day! posted:

Kitamura is the guy they are gonna push to the sky.

Down the road surely, but he's a long way from being at that point yet.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Let's face it, we're all just killing time until Danielson competes in G1 2019.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Just send him on an excursion to the Dragon Gate locker room.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I just can't get into any 60 minute draws. I can acknowledge, holy gently caress that was an incredible display of the sport and also feel sort of underwhelmed. There's long-term storytelling and then there's just kind of delaying things for the sake of it. That said if any feud deserves to be extended, it's Okada/Omega.

Did you know the result before you watched it? I think that makes a huge difference.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

In regards to ricochet, I believe he has an out after three seasons but that out only kicks in after the season is done airing in the states.

If they hadn't done the mid season break his contract would have been up now or hereabouts. They also didn't give him any notice that they were going to do the break.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

I'd sub in Okada/Cody for Juice/ZSJ as well

Juice/ZSJ helps set up a spot for a later match though.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I didn't realise how much I want Hiromu to enter the jrn tag tourny this year with Daryl as his partner until right now.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I mean how hard could it be to talk someone into working a match in a lifesize Daryl suit for the final?

I'm positive that Ibushi has already suggested it on a daily basis.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I would like Evil in the Daryl suit as long as he still had his laser fingers.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The Muta poo poo really killed his confidence too. I'm glad he found his feet in NJPW.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

They forced him into the Muta gimmick that pretty much killed his relationship with Mutoh and led to him trying to get him blackballed in Japan.

He really didn't enjoy his experience there. It wasn't Okada level but it nearly killed his love of wrestling.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I mean you can argue that no one can judge what's going to set Mutoh off, and he was a young kid that didn't really get the response he was going to get from Mutoh.

In a way though it ended up freeing him up so that when Kojima pushed for him to come in, that he wasn't really tied down to anyone.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I'm trying to find the press conference Mutoh made him do a day or so after the match where he's clearly uncomfortable as he announces he's decided to no longer wrestle in Japan and that instead he was going to continue his career in America, while all the time Mutoh is glaring at him.

Sanada doesn't work again in Japan for about 2 years until he comes in for NJPW.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I do not endorse unprotected chairshots.

I also now really hope that Hiromu does a run in to give Fale a big chairshot on his stupid head.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I want Hiromu/Fale at WK.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

VOD seems to be taking way longer than usual, what's up

If waiting is taking too long, NJPW's youtube channel has the show up until the g-1 matches up every day for free.

Including the brutal murder.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I seem to remember Rush being really bad in the Tag League last year

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Ilikejason makes good njpw videos in general. He's in on the ground floor on this.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

How could anyone think a belt where the front plate is literally a map of Asia is a European title?

Also I am absolutely fine with the number of belts at the moment. They all serve their purpose and all add a little something to the matches they're involved in.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i feel more confident about knowing new japan stuff as I'm still watching more and getting caught up with the G1, but I feel like I need some help understanding Yoshi Hashi. All I've seen involving him was tag matches on the big show prelims, and his NEVER title shot against Suzuki, so I still feel like I've just not seen enough of him to really get his character.

His character has always been a bit over the place. He's the kid who's always been trying to find his own identity and make a name for himself.

Back in the day both Okada and Nakamura had their lower card guy they regularly tagged with, their little brother so to speak (even if in both cases the little brother was older than them) who they were mentoring. For Nakamura it was Ishii who grew into becoming who he is today, for Okada it was YOSHI-HASHI. YOSHI-HASHI ate a lot of pins in tag matches through the years, and was always just seen as a guy who wasn't there or going to make it. Then last year he had a real coming out party, putting together a pretty good run of matches and looking more impressive even in defeat before he started actually winning some. The crowd got behind him and started rooting for him and he became a bit of an underdog.

The headhunter thing comes from him going after the big names - he doesn't want to just beat people on his level he wants to prove himself in some way along the way by taking down the big names and showing he belongs. Mostly he fails, but sometimes he does it. He's almost the anti-Goto, he loses a lot but every now and then he pulls out the big one.

Inevitably somewhere long down the road there's going to be a match with Okada. And I think the crowd is going to be really into it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I guess I should point out that YOSHI-HASHI and Okada were young boys together, and had a friendly rivalry at the start of their career. They tagged together to get their first ever pro wrestling win (in Riki Pro) and YOSHI-HASHI's first ever win in NJPW was pinning Okada in a six man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Naito's fist bump to Daryl genuinely put a huge smile on my face.

• Locked thread