Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

gently caress naito push juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It means they'll do the same main event match for another 3-4 years until Omega finally hits his finisher or until one or both participants kills his family

Because of the CTE, you see

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mac has a significantly better hairline

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

long as they push Juice Robinson I don't care which Billy Gunn they have lying around

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

I'd rather see Cody than Cole tbh

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Push Juice

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Where's Juice, Push Juice

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Where's Juice, Push Juice

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

not-NJPW bookers, don't read this

---
---
---
---

Push Juice

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Spermgod posted:

nobody wins constantly in WWE lol

I thought the whole thing with New Japan was that the entire roster operated on active duty Undertaker rules, under which the only losses that affect your standing are the ones you take on the larger PPVs

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Do they not use dehydration / exhaustion as an official euphemism for coke binges / alcoholism in Japan, because I don't know how you can be athletic for a living and not avoid that level of health-imperiling dehydration. Unless all sorts of people are out there rolling the dice

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. Shame that guys will risk themselves for a marginally better look, but then, there are many things in wrestling that would haunt a decent person, like shoot headbutts or American Heath care coverage and cost

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Strong style did not fail Shibata, Shibata failed strong style

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If they took precautions, their fans would find them boring.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

I don't know, there's a difference between something like Hiromu doing crazy poo poo that can't really be replicated in a safe way and stuff like headbutts and chair shots that can easily be done in a safe way. Would people really have liked Shibata/Okada less if he did a worked headbutt or Suzuki/Goto less if Desperado hit Goto in the back instead of the head?
My perception w/r/t chairshots has definitely been that back hits don't pop the audience like headshots do. As to whether the matches would be just as good with less extreme risk, probably. But it would probably be a mistake to assume that Shibata was especially manic about these things. If you leave it up to wrestlers they'll do dumb poo poo to go the extra mile. It's what wrestlers have always done. The ones that fans admire, anyway. It's ironic that WWE manages to be only just less ruinous to their workers despite relatively strict rules.

sleepwalkers posted:

That's a stupid hot take there bud.
NJPW's staying the course since Shibata's hospitalization is a tacit admission that management feels exactly this way. Endurance in the face of spectacular risk is what sets strong style apart and it has not yet reached a point where the frequency of severe injuries produces a will to change. It may never.

My money's on people forgetting how frightening all of this is by the next big PPV.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 28, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Heartening to see the "brand over booking" mentality has legs outside WWE

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Spermgod posted:

idk if not giving away too much in a building that you know will sell out regardless is "brand over booking". maybe on the part of the fans that bought tickets already.
That serves the point? When you can be said to "give away too much" and still sell tickets, your brand cache is doing the work your booking ought to. The cache being spent was earned with solid booking elsewhere, but when you stage a nothing PPV in a foreign country, good workrate or no, it speaks to an ambivalence about building a regional presence there (if it were WWE people would probably say it spoke to a contempt for the regional fans, as well).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Like the show is undoubtedly going to be a moderate success at the least, but NJPW isn't backing up their saber-rattling re: taking on WWE in even a cursory way. We all knew (hoped?) they weren't serious, but it sucks for folks who were hoping for a certain caliber of match to take place on US soil at some point in the future.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The dude can do some pretty weird tricks with his arm if it's a work

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dishwasher posted:

I'm a Midwesterner (if we're even allowed in this game, it's hard to tell sometimes....). I'm gonna go ahead and claim Five Guys supremacy. Those fries are dank and those portion sizes are lovely. Peanut allergy means I can't partake in the mountains of free peanuts, but I've heard good things. :unsmith:

Five Guys is trash, also it's DC-based so double the trash factor

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

tihs match is a salted turd, not unlike a burger from five guys

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

surely they know that ROH has no hot guys at all without them, so

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Why ROH would want Dave to report that NJPW is looking into the weekend and completely overshadow the news they are running a big building makes no sense.

It's ROH in 2017, getting overshadowed is their thing

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tweak posted:

rovert do you write/work for someone/your own or do you just use your scoops for forum/reddit posts

Don't look a gift scoop in the mouth, son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I remember when I used to sporadically watch ROH online and that guy was like a Japanese CAW jobber

• Locked thread