Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

where can i buy a los ingobernables de japon shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

that was the first (and other) search result but i get THREAT DETECTED poo poo every time i go to their site

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Has this been posted yet? Even if so, why not look at it again :grin:

https://twitter.com/TEKKEN/status/870703190047563776

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I know that Daryl isn't Takahashi's first friend/prop but does he usually take it this far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RHAyTcXuq4

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

oatgan posted:

He used to film himself bathing with the jr heavyweight title and the Daryl thing is an extension of him getting frustrated and doing interviews as a cat (meowing on all fours) when he lost matches in BOSJ

Ahahahaha where can I see these?

Actually, is there a good source for NJPW vignettes/interviews/etc.? I am fortunate enough to be able to watch NJPW on AXS but sometimes commentary mentions things that wrestlers have said or done and the AXS show strictly focuses on the in-ring events and post-match interviews. So much of wrestling is character work, to me at least, and I want a better handle on who I'm seeing. I love Okada's matches (SHOCKING, right?) but I have no handle on his character except that his pose makes the camera run away, and money falls from the sky when he enters.

I love Naito and LIJ in general but I only see their in-ring antics and I'd love to see more. Time bomb taking a bath with his title sounds amazing. I also love the contrast there, that Naito and Takahashi are bros but Naito treats his belts like garbage and Takashi treats his like he's in love with it.

dromal phrenia fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 6, 2017

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

if that was the actual :daryl: I could see that price being fair

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

hahahahahahahahaha

EDIT so my post isn't basically just an emptyquote

KungFu Grip posted:

This is still just PWTees stuff and not straight from Japan merch though right

PWTees claims to be "the official US distributor for New Japan Pro Wrestling", is there any truth to that? I want LIJ stuff but I don't want to pay for some fake knockoff stuff when NJPW deserves my hard-earned money.

dromal phrenia fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 9, 2017

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

so if PWTees has poo poo quality shirts, wheres my best option for getting a sized-up legit japanese shirt? i think my work computer has a site bookmarked that will supposedly get me stuff from japanese retailers but I've never used it and there's probably a 60% chance it will actually just steal my identity / credit card info and ruin my life

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

just rust posted:

Tenso.com is an intermediary that is endorsed by the NJPW website for overseas shoppers. Tenso will give you a Japanese address (their warehouse) to use. You buy the items directly from shop.njpw.co.jp with your credit card, providing the address Tenso gives you. Once it arrives at the warehouse Tenso will e-mail you to let you know and then you pay them to get it mailed to your location. You can even pay via PayPal.

I've used them several times, no complaints and it's a relatively quick process. The only inconvenience is that when you register with them you have to send them a copy of photo ID verifying your address. I assume it's some kind of international shipping security thing they have to comply with. Your first order has to be sent to the address on the ID you provide but after your first successful order you can freely change the address associated with your account.

Thanks for the detailed answer! I had to do something similar with identification when I first made an account on a Korean clothing website. I think even ASOS requested it, although they might have had some other weird requirement instead. Now I can make everyone jealous with my awesome LIJ gear :D

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Maybe Liger never heard :ohdear:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I only recently found out that Naito's signature eye taunt originated as a response to racist-rear end fans in Mexico :wtc: :mad:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I should look into getting that chromecast I guess, because these shows are great but trying to catch up means 3 hours of wrestling on my laptop EVERY DAY which means I can't really do anything else or I risk missing action. WWE's product is far far less exciting, but the fact that I can do other things (ranging from games to reading to SHITPOSTS WITH MY FRIENDS IN PSP) makes it much easier.

Though 3 hours of WWE every day would probably destroy me regardless of live threads.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Just watch the YTR, Kojima and Nagata matches the rest is filler.

i need to watch my role model naito though

but i agree that it is good to watch my more-realistic role model YTR

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

I feel bad for you having a cheap rip off as a role model. Respect Rush the real deal.

I haven't watched any Rush or original Los Ingobernables stuff :shobon:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm pretty sure if Kitamura chopped me, I would actually die from it.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

I just took the plunge and bought plane tickets to Tokyo for WrestleKingdom. Any advice for things I should do/check out wrestling related while I'm there? I've been to Tokyo a few times so I don't really have anything touristy or cultural that I need to do beyond seeing if I can visit the Imperial Palace when it opens on January 2nd. I haven't been to a wrestling show since I was a little kid so general advice would help too. I've got tickets to see Stardom in October and I'll go to the NJPW show if they come here this year but I haven't seen anything announced yet (though the only singles match last year was BONE SOLDIER vs. YOSHITATSU so maybe not...) so it won't be my first wrestling show as an adult but still.

The most important thing is to buy me a shitload of LIJ merch

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

gonna say yes then send you five copies of this

my reaction

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Poor Daryl lost his hair :(

I'd wish him a speedy recovery but with those nurses... :eyepop:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

remusclaw posted:

I shudder to think that in a few years we may be watching Shibata vs. Bryan Danielson in mutually assured concussions match.

Given that Bryan wanted to test out his surgically repaired neck by immediately taking a move on the top of his head, I assume he and Shibata would headbutt like rams over and over until they both gush blood from their ears

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Has anyone even been brought up with the gimmick of 'unruly young boy', as in they're supposed to be a young boy (new, black trunks, no 'gimmick') but start cheating, disrespecting vets, getting wins through unscrupulous means, etc.? Or has a mysterious masked superstar ever turned out to be a young boy who got sick of being a gimmickless trainee?

I feel like my limited exposure to the young boys in the G1 has been that they're all essentially booked the same way, which makes sense since they're just starting their careers and need to get some experience before having a gimmick, getting some wins, establishing a character, allying with a faction etc. They get a chance to show off a little, then they often beg to be tagged in only to pay for their hubris by being the one to take the pin. I just wonder if this long-standing tradition has ever been subverted for heat.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Yoshi-Hashi always looks really scared and unsure at the start of a match IMO, and it contributes a long way to the feeling that he doesn't belong. I wasn't watching (and didn't know about) when he was Okada's little protege but I still got that same impression just from his body language and facial expressions. It does make it a little more exciting when he starts building up offense.

I think Naito had a line about how he's a good wrestler but needs to get off his rear end because 35 is pretty old to act like an underdog

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

he's eliminated at 10 points while tana and naito have 12, a draw would leave both at 13.

everyone's saying omega/ibushi would be a sick co-main for naito/okada at WK and it's the logical place for it to happen.

i feel like that'll be the plan and then someone will tell Ibushi he can put a roman candle in his crotch and light a smoke bomb in his rear end and pretend he's a cannon for a match, and he'll wander away

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Big Boys Reign Supreme. Deal with it, manlets!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I finally finished the G1 last night so now I can look at this thread again.

It's honestly insane that I paid 9.99 to watch all that good wrestling. I don't know how the rest of you kept up with it, 3+ hours for days in a row is insane. But all of it was good, a lot of it was great, and I'm very happy with the winner :grin:

I have a bunch of NJPW questions but I can't remember them right now. Should I ask ITT or in the wrestling questions thread? I don't know how many Japanese wrestling fans keep up with the questions thread.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

It's really fun to hate Taichi. NJPW has a lot of 'cool heels' that its hard to hate even if its fun to boo their cheating. Even though Suzuki-gun is the most heel faction of all, people have a ton of respect for MiSu and he's quite the badass, and Zack Sabre Jr. is always going to get polite clapping for his submission transitions... but Taichi is just a complete rear end in a top hat and I hate him and want to see his face get punched.

Steals masks, wears other people's entrance coats, rips off his pants, hits people with a stupid rear end microphone stand, sings a crappy entrance song, and that's all in addition to having the most punchable face. Bad Luck Fale brutally assaulting Daryl might be the most dastardly heel move in recent memory, but I still hate Taichi more.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Johnny Landmine posted:

Another big reason Taichi gets so much heat: The typical Japanese celebrity response to getting caught cheating on your spouse is to bawl your eyes out at a press conference that ends with you bowing deeply until people stop taking photos of how apologetic you are.

Taichi's response was to announce his intention to retire, then go back on it and return from suspension with his heels dug even harder into his flashy sleezeball womanizer character. I don't know whether that predates "Taichi go home" or not, but it doesn't make people shout it any less.

1. I'm glad that Japan still treats adultery as a big deal

2. This just reinforces my desire for a Taichi vs. Yano no-DQ IronMan match where Taichi takes 75 ball shots and can't walk for a week. And then he comes back and can only sing his entrance in a falsetto

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Is there any place I can read a transcript of Naito's interview with NJPWWorld?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

:( well that's not good. I know Idol groups can't have relationships or else its a personal insult to all their totally-not-creepy male fans and it tanks their career(s) so yeah I guess I already knew the Japanese were weird about relationships. Did Honma get any flack for allegedly beating his wife? It'd be weird for Taichi to get heat for cheating but Tonma to just go "She doesn't know how to take a bump" and cue a laugh track

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

http://thelionmarks.com/ these dudes will probably translate it.

I somehow missed this before. Thanks for the quick reply! They haven't yet, but I've bookmarked the site and now I'm learning more about Tranquilo and also that EVIL plans to fight Naito :eek: :ohdear:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Cody Fliehr

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Am I correct in thinking Iizuka loving sucks, or have I just been exposed to his very worst?

Because he seems extremely bad.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Some of the tag tournament matches from small venues aren't working for me :( But the bigger events are, so I guess it's not a huge loss. I don't think WWE has any more PPVs before my free month expires so it looks like you lucky few will be the only ones to see my extremely good posts soon

I choose to believe that the insane sales numbers for the Wrestle Kingdom show are because everyone is excited to see the coronation of my main man, Naito~

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Thauros posted:

Getting along with Okada in the locker room certainly can't hurt his chances. Can't say I'm surprised at what you said wrt Cobb and Sami based on being one of the few weirdos to actually watch this tour

Actually my unnamed but very real sources say there is massive heat on Sexy Chucky T for damaging Okada's reputation by repeatedly calling him a pervert :eek:

Also while I can't imagine this is the case, Taichi getting Vince's attention would make a weird sort of sense to me. Completely hateable douchebag? Comes out with a sexy lady? STRIPS HIS PANTS OFF TO REVEAL HIS SEXY THIGHS?!? :vince:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

The Cameo posted:

It'd be weird if it was like Suzuki getting a WWE contract or something.

it sucks that (according to wiki) Suzuki is 225lb because I really want to joke about them hiring Suzuki for 205Live

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Is it just me or do KES loving suck? Lance spitting on every single audience member is fun but man I do not like watching these guys wrestle.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I feel like I've mostly seen them against War Machine and GOD, both of whom are much better.

Which is a bit unfair since War Machine is loving incredible but still, I just watched WM/KES and every time KES had control of the match, it was boring.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

OGB posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/htmlview#gid=0

This is your new friend.

Thanks for posting this link! I have some tag league to catch up on, and I need to check all these press conferences where people are getting jumped and whatnot, but its great to have a handy list of poo poo to watch once I'm caught up

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Naito is going to win, I say with Tranquilo in my heart~

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

VJeff posted:

Naito straight up said "Dude, you hosed up by using that on me in these pointless tag matches. You should've saved it for the Dome, now I'm ready for it." so I think Okada's gonna try to counter the Destino and Naito's gonna counter the Cobra back into the Destino.

Naito's going to debut his own new submission finish that allows him to lounge and pose while his opponent writhes in pain.

Some kind of figure-4 variant + TRANQUILO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I can't loving believe Tanahashi stole Daryl's wig :mad:

• Locked thread