Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
you actually just quarantined the bad discussion, so like the malposts are technically still infecting your system. with this new form of shitposting, you can't take an anti virus approach to these sorts of things and flattening and reinstalling doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
you've been able to watch youtube videos on your Samsung Refrigerator for years now

now...

you can experience...

the ultimate...

low-latency...

gaming destruction...

of your hardwired Samsung SteamOS/Steam Link capable Washing Machine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

PCjr sidecar posted:

yes im sure a felony on her record is going to be the biggest impediment she'll face in her job search

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
brianna wu has weighed in on the meitu thing ITS A MATTER OF NATIONAL SECURITY

keep challenging state actors to a street fighter 2 battle to the death lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
there was some article today that said that trump is tweeting from his old, decrepit android phone

we're going to have a press conference where he's like "what is cyka blyat and why is it all over my phone? it's nonsense! it's just these made up words"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hunter2

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
uh ignore that last message

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hunter2!

e: https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/824678929214636033?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
as someone not in the biz and just runs defender/mse and doesn't worry about it, it comes down to "well that's how we always done it" with never actually doing any critical thinking on it. even if they did, then you have to overcome the hurdle of "are you calling me wrong!?" because that's the worst and most offensive thing to these people.

exploits comes down to whatever is the easiest vector of attack. java, flash, internet explorer, etc. then you try to square the circle of traditional av software not actually protecting against new and exciting exploits; why are you keeping it around? "well because we always have! my personal favorite is _______!" meanwhile, drive by exploits are firing off via advertising networks because grandma doesn't have an ad blocker and grandma is now part of a botnet.

there's definitely a surface area to attack for anti virus software, probably similar to plcs being exploited; limited in scope but hyper focused. it comes down to recognizing that av catches the lowest common denominator garbage, so how about use the one that isn't hijacking certificates and working against browser memory address space obfuscation routines.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hello this is windows support team please windows r

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
what's the thread favorite for a password manager these days?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

anthonypants posted:

1password's good, but more importantly what operating systems do you need your password manager to run on

win10
OS X sierra
iOS 10 (probably gonna be Android by the end of the year)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

this is the weirdest, and most effective, STEM outreach for women I've seen

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lol

https://twitter.com/0ddj0bb/status/835126826750083075

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
also laziness has paid off once more! I still don't have a password manager.

I guess 1password is out of the mix now :v

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yeah tavis' post mortem explicitly says 1password alongside okcupid, uber, and fitbit had data and passwords exposed

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

pr0zac posted:

you idiots don't understand how password managers work

https termination through cloudflare means an nontls http connection to cloudflare (see these forums for instance)

yeah, i never claimed that I knew how password managers work. or didn't.

all of agilebits' stuff is "we have 3 layers of security!" post cloudbleed, which is interesting. they go out of their way to mention that they use ssl/tls and two other super secret encryption thingos, mention that ssl/tls is what was affected, and then never mention what data was exposed in the ssl/tls breach, just that srp wasn't affected and your super secret vault encryption is safe.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

whoa whoa whoa whoa

uber doing something to skirt the law?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pinterest Mom posted:

james comey: bad at opsec

and the fake name he uses for both instagram is the name of the guy he wrote his senior thesis on

and he uses his twitter account to like stories that are related to his job

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/847593559142395904

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it was mentioned in the american op sec thread, his sec fuckup was announcing that he had an account.

all i can think of is like the frog fractions 2 arg; people on the internet have a lot of time on their hands, and they're reallllllllly good at puzzle solving.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
microsoft always has applications that are super good but you had to go around digging on technet to find them

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

spankmeister posted:

One day America's reckoning will come and you'll be first against the wall, shags. :sun:

ive already signed up to be in the android 81st bicycle division

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
using notepad to sanitize copy pastes isn't the worst idea in the world

I do it all of the time because lol ebcdic

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MononcQc posted:

On top of gunshot locators, there's other fancy stuff, like tracking car motions through the RFID chips in EZcard in NYC. Tinfoil hatters worry about RFID chips tire manufacturers embed in there to track their inventory since they could also be used there.

There's also references to using license plate recognition (p.23-24) to do geo-fencing and correlation of traffic patterns in some areas with crimes such as drug trafficking, and similarly correlating with social media. There's some pretty fancy stuff out there.

i was listening to a podcast about ridiculous military spending and waste, and probably the best one (outside of someone trying to pilfer a bunch of 55" TVs or setting a bunch of 55" TVs on fire with jet fuel) was a wearable pack that can do sniper triangulation.

tanks/apcs/armored whatevers have equipment that can do the math to find where gunshots are coming from etc; however, some brilliant dumbass at lockheed or something was like "what if we made it mobile!?" the military procured a bunch of these things and they're heavy and you have a giant backpack with a microphone and antenna on it and when you're under sniper fire, you stand still because it only does relative positioning.

~your tax dollars at work~

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

A Pinball Wizard posted:

my brain automatically converted piv to penis in vagina

computer fucker.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I probably used the self checkout at Home Depot when they got owned, but nothing has ever popped up on amex? I did get a new card, but I can't remember when...

actually maybe not because I hadn't bought a Lexus to turn into a race car

vOv

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cocoa Crispies posted:

as a shorty playing in group policy settings
fell down and i deleted my cipher suite
somebody helped me up and asked me if i deleted my cipher suite
i said "yeah"
so then they said "oh so that mean we gon, you gon switch it on then?"
i said "yeah, fipsmode, fipsmode is the greatest"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the domain was bought and sinkholed before any analysis happened beyond 'hey this malware contacts x at startup'

it was an absurdly reckless move that everyone's applauding and copying in the hopes of similar pr

just wait until next time when the next wave of ransomware triggers in the opposite direction

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Instant Grat posted:

my hand-ripped .flacs off 70s japanese avant-garde jazz are safe :smug:

e: that i keep on the mri machine running xp embedded in the local hospital

cryptolocking gave my flac rips a warm sound that you just can't get with regular flac files

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
didn't real have an audio format? .rma?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RFC2324 posted:

what? how? who? :psyboom:

[[[BUFFERING INTENSIFIES]]]

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fishmech posted:

anyway it seems that what realnetworks and realplayer is used for a lot now, is internal company "broadcasting" stuff for a lot of places, as well as powering streaming for certain smart tv apps and poo poo like that? seems like it's a pretty robust thing that they can leech off of for years to come, even though normal users aren't going to use realplayer directly

real networks is pied piper!?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I had the opposite problem wrt nfc cards. my walk around visa (not an nfc card) CONTAINS METAL DO NOT SHRED and was preventing my train card from working on the turnstiles until I moved it to the other side of my wallet

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hey you know that old white ghoul who controls a large chunk of the news media in your country? he somehow controls a large chunk of the news media in my country too!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
oh man, i love OTHER (other tech heads e reposting)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

vOv posted:

lmao holy poo poo when did we get :thunk:

:orb:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i looked at my credit card statement and it's just a bunch of dumb bullshit

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cocoa Crispies posted:

wait is that query only returning a single row based on some os/ugly packard bell shitware app authentication that already happened or does that example only have one provider?

look to your heart for the answers you are looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

vOv posted:

only sort of a secfuck but apparently people have been getting banned from nintendo's online 3ds stuff for having custom firmware on their 3dses even if they don't hack in multiplayer or pirate games. nobody knows for sure how nintendo's checking but there's a bunch of telemetry enabled by default which iirc includes a log of what applications are run, and so they might just be banning everyone that runs an app on a blacklist of common cfw apps like FBI (which manages custom apps, cause they're stored in .cia files :v:)

of course you're not banned from the eshop because nintendo will still happily take money from you, they're not *completely* dumb

also since it's idiot video game people, it's impossible to get solid data out of them to figure out what exactly happened. I only say this because I'm annoyed that there are 15 articles about how just having a capture card might blacklist you ~but no one is sure exactly why or how~

• Locked thread